Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Overweight 10:27 - Jan 22 with 3858 viewsblueislander

I thought that the Yanks were collectively the most overweight nation from what I saw in Orlando a few years ago, but I am currently on a British cruise , and there a considerable number of very obese people on the ship. I realise that some may have genuine medical issues, but the way many them attack the buffets is a sight to behold.
Overweight on 10:40 - Jan 22 with 2848 viewsClutch

Well you sound like a massive prick.
Overweight on 10:44 - Jan 22 with 2816 viewsblueislander

Overweight on 10:40 - Jan 22 by Clutch

Thanks
Overweight on 10:57 - Jan 22 with 2730 viewsKeno

Overweight on 10:44 - Jan 22 by blueislander

Thanks

Thats the nicest thing anyone has said to you in a while!!

BU the way is the buffet in the middle of the boat to stop it tipping when people stampede to it?

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Overweight on 11:15 - Jan 22 with 2599 viewsITFCson

Sadly Obesity is an epidemic in most parts of the world.
Overweight on 11:22 - Jan 22 with 2536 viewspeterleeblue

Firstly I dont think I am a massive prick.
I do tend to agree. Its more about the lifestyle choices and what people select from the buffet.
I just people watch and think "you don't really need that do you"?
Overweight on 11:37 - Jan 22 with 2424 viewsblueislander

Overweight on 10:57 - Jan 22 by Keno

Thats the nicest thing anyone has said to you in a while!!

BU the way is the buffet in the middle of the boat to stop it tipping when people stampede to it?

Indeed. I was flattered. No real need for a stampede. The buffet is pretty much continuous.
Overweight on 11:54 - Jan 22 with 2359 views_clive_baker_

Obesity is a very serious public health problem in this country, and indeed a lot of the world.

There's far too many horrendous food offerings out there, heavily processed and ridiculously high in fat, which aren't good for the health of the consumer or the planet. Couple that with a more sedentary lifestyle that many adopt by way of increased screen time, working from home etc, and it's a recipe for disaster.

I think it's important to be non judgmental about it, some people have genuine medical reasons and I do think food addiction is real. There's an element of the system being broken, whether it be more education needed or access to healthier food alternatives that are still as financially viable as the alternatives. Something needs to be done to discourage detrimental eating habits in the same way it has been for smoking. Obese patients cost the NHS twice as much over their lifetime as those who are deemed to be a healthy weight. Things like HFSS legislation are a start, but barely scratch the surface.

To a large degree I do think there are many people that need to take personal responsibility for their own health though.
Overweight on 11:55 - Jan 22 with 2350 viewsPinewoodblue

Tend to steer clear of Buffet on a cruise ship. The amount of food that some leave on the plate is disgusting.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Login to get fewer ads

Overweight on 11:58 - Jan 22 with 2304 viewsbaxterbasics

At the end of the day you are on a cruise and these will mostly be populated by wealthy easy-living folk who are used to eating far more than they need.

zip
Poll: Your minimum standard of 'success' for our return to The Championship?

Overweight on 12:00 - Jan 22 with 2289 viewsHelp

Assume it's all in. So if you paid for it might as well get your monies worth. I would like to know how many went on a diet to lose a few pounds before going on the cruise so they did not feel guilty putting a few back on .
Overweight on 12:29 - Jan 22 with 2211 viewsJackNorthStand

Me and my wife were on holiday recently and noticed overall how unhealthy British tourists looked compared to the French, German, Italian and Russians.
Overweight on 12:47 - Jan 22 with 2123 viewsitfcjoe

Overweight on 11:54 - Jan 22 by _clive_baker_

Obesity is a very serious public health problem in this country, and indeed a lot of the world.

There's far too many horrendous food offerings out there, heavily processed and ridiculously high in fat, which aren't good for the health of the consumer or the planet. Couple that with a more sedentary lifestyle that many adopt by way of increased screen time, working from home etc, and it's a recipe for disaster.

I think it's important to be non judgmental about it, some people have genuine medical reasons and I do think food addiction is real. There's an element of the system being broken, whether it be more education needed or access to healthier food alternatives that are still as financially viable as the alternatives. Something needs to be done to discourage detrimental eating habits in the same way it has been for smoking. Obese patients cost the NHS twice as much over their lifetime as those who are deemed to be a healthy weight. Things like HFSS legislation are a start, but barely scratch the surface.

To a large degree I do think there are many people that need to take personal responsibility for their own health though.

The book Ultra Processed People by Dr Chris van Tullekan is a brilliant read, and really opens your eyes as to why the UK and the US have such problems with obesity, and why other countries where the balance between UPF and processed/non-processed food is much more in the favour of the consumer.

Hopefully real pressure can be put on the Govt to have UPF clearly marked on food packaging but don't hold your breath.

The book (and their is a podcast series about it too, plus a panorama) is very good at being non judgmental because people are having their lifes destroyed by big business in this regard

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Overweight on 12:57 - Jan 22 with 2026 viewslowhouseblue

it's a very serious public health issue. the cause is complex, and being judgemental gets us no where, but the extent to which the shape of the average brit has changed over the last couple of decades is really very striking.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Overweight on 13:07 - Jan 22 with 1954 viewsblueislander

Overweight on 11:55 - Jan 22 by Pinewoodblue

Tend to steer clear of Buffet on a cruise ship. The amount of food that some leave on the plate is disgusting.

The food is spectacular and caters for all tastes. Even just using the buffet you can eat healthily, but there are also top notch restaurants. The Indian one is particularly good.
Overweight on 13:10 - Jan 22 with 1934 viewsJ2BLUE

Obesity is as much a mental health condition as a physical health condition.

People who are seriously overweight have very likely experienced some trauma which has not been properly dealt with.

I know what will be a big claim for some people but go and watch my 600 pound life if you don't believe it. Every single one of them had suffered some incredibly emotional event.

Obesity could be massively reduced with proper funding and treatment. Processed food is a big contributor but I guarantee the obesity crisis could be much better reduced with a proper treatment program including therapy.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Overweight on 13:13 - Jan 22 with 1903 viewsDanTheMan

Overweight on 11:54 - Jan 22 by _clive_baker_

There's a scale. Some people just don't care and eat badly, there are those with genuine health conditions, people who are addicted to bad food (although it's usually part of a greater mental health condition according to my wife).

On the flip side, there's been an alarming rise on the other side with eating disorders where they'll go to drastic measures to lose weight, sometimes with deadly consequences.

https://www.childrenscommissioner.gov.uk/blog/young-people-with-eating-disorders

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Overweight on 13:20 - Jan 22 with 1832 viewslowhouseblue

Overweight on 13:10 - Jan 22 by J2BLUE

Obesity is as much a mental health condition as a physical health condition.

People who are seriously overweight have very likely experienced some trauma which has not been properly dealt with.

I know what will be a big claim for some people but go and watch my 600 pound life if you don't believe it. Every single one of them had suffered some incredibly emotional event.

Obesity could be massively reduced with proper funding and treatment. Processed food is a big contributor but I guarantee the obesity crisis could be much better reduced with a proper treatment program including therapy.

i don't disagree with that at all in individual cases - and it is a very good reason not to be judgemental. but it doesn't explain the really marked population wide changes over time. at a population level obesity in the uk has doubled over a couple of decades. i find the archive photos that the east anglian publishes interesting - as a population we looked different in the 70s and 80s.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Overweight on 13:29 - Jan 22 with 1786 viewsJ2BLUE

Overweight on 13:20 - Jan 22 by lowhouseblue

i don't disagree with that at all in individual cases - and it is a very good reason not to be judgemental. but it doesn't explain the really marked population wide changes over time. at a population level obesity in the uk has doubled over a couple of decades. i find the archive photos that the east anglian publishes interesting - as a population we looked different in the 70s and 80s.

I would draw the line at about 50 pounds. It's not a perfect system but I think it would work for 90% of people.

Under 50 pounds overweight (which would still be medically classed as obese at the upper levels) - you PROBABLY just make poor choices and overindulge a little. Diet could be easily tidied up and these are the people who effortless drop weight when minor changes are made. Switching from full sugar Coke to Coke Zero for example could be enough for some people. Removing some of the processed crap and replacing it with real food makes a massive difference.

Over 50 pounds overweight and you PROBABLY have some sort of underlying issue. 100 pounds overweight? Almost certainly. 200 pounds overweight? I can almost guarantee it. It's odd that the more overweight you are the more likely you have suffered some sort of trauma yet the more likely you are to be ridiculed by society.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Overweight on 13:49 - Jan 22 with 1685 viewsBiGDonnie

Overweight on 10:40 - Jan 22 by Clutch

Na he's right. The amount of salad dodgers who abuse buffets/all inclusive places are disgusting and proper p*ss me off.

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

Overweight on 14:15 - Jan 22 with 1534 viewshype313

Overweight on 13:20 - Jan 22 by lowhouseblue

Totally agree with J2, whether you are overweight or have eating disorders I'd say 90% of the time it's a mental health issue on those extremes.

I'd say Most of us could do with shifting a few pounds and I'm talking from experience.

When you mention the 70's and 80's you're probably right that we were all a healthier size, but we didn't have 24hr food outlets everywhere, the rise of takeaways, UBER Eats. Deliveroo etc, it's all so easily accessible and people don't need to leave the house to get junk food. Back in the day we were limited hugely in what we consumed.

I was staggered to see how many deliveroo drivers were coming out of McDonalds' at Ransomes the other morning at the roundabout, so many people ordering breakfasts on a Tuesday, madness.

Another note to add is the UPF are far cheaper than wholesome, nutritional food, and I have sympathy with a lot of parents, they are just trying to get through life by feeding their kids whatever they can afford. Think all are mindful that they would love nothing more than feeding children decent quality food, but economics are such a barrier.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Overweight on 14:27 - Jan 22 with 1482 viewslowhouseblue

Overweight on 14:15 - Jan 22 by hype313

Totally agree with J2, whether you are overweight or have eating disorders I'd say 90% of the time it's a mental health issue on those extremes.

I'd say Most of us could do with shifting a few pounds and I'm talking from experience.

When you mention the 70's and 80's you're probably right that we were all a healthier size, but we didn't have 24hr food outlets everywhere, the rise of takeaways, UBER Eats. Deliveroo etc, it's all so easily accessible and people don't need to leave the house to get junk food. Back in the day we were limited hugely in what we consumed.

I was staggered to see how many deliveroo drivers were coming out of McDonalds' at Ransomes the other morning at the roundabout, so many people ordering breakfasts on a Tuesday, madness.

Another note to add is the UPF are far cheaper than wholesome, nutritional food, and I have sympathy with a lot of parents, they are just trying to get through life by feeding their kids whatever they can afford. Think all are mindful that they would love nothing more than feeding children decent quality food, but economics are such a barrier.

income is definitely a factor. but so is the loss of cooking skills and the loss of the expectation that cooking is an essential part of normal life. poor quality ready meals are cheaper than good quality ready meals - but cooking from scratch can be cheaper still. part of the problem is that crap food is cheap - part of the problem is that it's the easiest way of getting an immediate hit of sugar, fat and salt (all of which humans are programmed to crave but were once scarce and not regularly affordable, but are now cheap and instant).

Overweight on 14:38 - Jan 22 with 1416 viewsDanTheMan

Overweight on 14:27 - Jan 22 by lowhouseblue

income is definitely a factor. but so is the loss of cooking skills and the loss of the expectation that cooking is an essential part of normal life. poor quality ready meals are cheaper than good quality ready meals - but cooking from scratch can be cheaper still. part of the problem is that crap food is cheap - part of the problem is that it's the easiest way of getting an immediate hit of sugar, fat and salt (all of which humans are programmed to crave but were once scarce and not regularly affordable, but are now cheap and instant).

Cooking well and making it taste nice is an art form and a difficult one. I don't think cooking healthily and cheaply is very easy, and I would imagine that gets even more difficult once you bring children into the mix. I say this as someone who has had to teach themselves to cook well as I was never taught.

It's also just not something everyone enjoys, which makes things even harder if you're on little money and have had a long day, the prospect of coming home and then have to spend another 30-60 minutes cooking something and then cleaning it all up that you don't enjoy.

Not only that, you're probably going to have to spend time planning so you don't waste anything. One advantage to ready meals is that there is (usually) no waste with them.

I do get where you're coming from, there is obviously a level of personal responsibility here. Nobody is being force-fed ready meals. At the same time though, our society is almost set up to entice people onto these bad options. We almost made a start on it with the sugar and salt tax but that got vetoed, also due to the personal responsibility argument.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Overweight on 14:39 - Jan 22 with 1412 viewsiamatractorboy

Someone has mentioned how people generally were slimmer in the 70s and 80s. I've no doubt that is right. But I imagine many people smoked, and there has been a successful drive to reduce rates in the general population. Something in a similar fashion needs to be done to overeating/eating the wrong types of food.
Overweight on 14:46 - Jan 22 with 1353 viewsBloomBlue

The 'attack the buffet' has been an English disease for as long as I can remember.
The buffet is included in the price and all English people want their fully money worth, so they attack it and pile it up even if they know they will never eat it all.
Overweight on 14:54 - Jan 22 with 1288 viewslowhouseblue

Overweight on 14:38 - Jan 22 by DanTheMan

Cooking well and making it taste nice is an art form and a difficult one. I don't think cooking healthily and cheaply is very easy, and I would imagine that gets even more difficult once you bring children into the mix. I say this as someone who has had to teach themselves to cook well as I was never taught.

It's also just not something everyone enjoys, which makes things even harder if you're on little money and have had a long day, the prospect of coming home and then have to spend another 30-60 minutes cooking something and then cleaning it all up that you don't enjoy.

Not only that, you're probably going to have to spend time planning so you don't waste anything. One advantage to ready meals is that there is (usually) no waste with them.

I do get where you're coming from, there is obviously a level of personal responsibility here. Nobody is being force-fed ready meals. At the same time though, our society is almost set up to entice people onto these bad options. We almost made a start on it with the sugar and salt tax but that got vetoed, also due to the personal responsibility argument.

i don't disagree with any of that. choices and environment interact in really complex ways and there isn't a simple story which explains it all. cooking isn't always possible or easy. but it's not less easy than it was in the past or more enjoyable - and people used to accept that it was a key bit of living and, like it or not, it was something that had to be done. ok, family structures were different then and women carried an unfair responsibility for it (and still do). but being able to decide that it's not something people now choose to do is actually an outcome of the abundance of cheap alternatives. unfortunately the cheap alternatives are unhealthy. i'm sure past generations would have seen that choice not to cook as an expression of affluence. i also think it can be cumulative - if people come from families that don't cook they don't then have the experience of seeing it happen or thinking that it should happen. none of this is to deny the complexity of it all.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024