Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Changing Career 12:33 - Jan 9 with 2322 viewsSikamikanico

After 25 years of working in the same field I've slowly reached the point where I hate everything about it.

I tried changing the focus but nope, still hate it. Being deliberately vague, it's office based but very niche.

Has anyone looked to change career in their 40s? It will probably have to remain office based but a more general role.

It has affected my mental health for a number of years and it's only so often you can change employer before realising its probably the job itself.
Changing Career on 12:40 - Jan 9 with 2237 viewsTheMoralMajority

I changed career in my mid 30s (and again in early 40s, but that was less of a dramatic shift).

The best advice I can give is be prepared to step backwards in order to move forwards.

I trained myself up in a specific IT sector. Whilst I had the qualifications to take a higher job in the new sector, I lacked the experience, hence rarely making it to the interview stage.

I started applying for jobs which could utilize my new skills, but were more junior than I would normally have liked to aim for (and subsequently had a lower salary). Doing this I managed to breeze into a new job. A job from which I was promoted from in 6 months, and managing the team within a year.

I'm not saying it would be the same for everyone, but the extra experience/responsibility that I carried (outside of my new skillset) saw me rapidly overtake others at the same level I joined at.

I have zero regrets and much prefer my life now than doing the job I hated before I made the switch.

...but do signatures really work?

Changing Career on 12:41 - Jan 9 with 2213 viewsUSA

Anything is possible. Have a think on what are your transferable skills. And what would you enjoy. Then go from there!
Changing Career on 12:44 - Jan 9 with 2180 viewsSikamikanico

Changing Career on 12:40 - Jan 9 by TheMoralMajority

I changed career in my mid 30s (and again in early 40s, but that was less of a dramatic shift).

The best advice I can give is be prepared to step backwards in order to move forwards.

I trained myself up in a specific IT sector. Whilst I had the qualifications to take a higher job in the new sector, I lacked the experience, hence rarely making it to the interview stage.

I started applying for jobs which could utilize my new skills, but were more junior than I would normally have liked to aim for (and subsequently had a lower salary). Doing this I managed to breeze into a new job. A job from which I was promoted from in 6 months, and managing the team within a year.

I'm not saying it would be the same for everyone, but the extra experience/responsibility that I carried (outside of my new skillset) saw me rapidly overtake others at the same level I joined at.

I have zero regrets and much prefer my life now than doing the job I hated before I made the switch.

Thanks for the reply.

I'm fully prepared to drop down in seniority and salary. I'm glad it worked for you.
Changing Career on 13:11 - Jan 9 with 2034 views_clive_baker_

After the 1st sentence I was wondering if you're a scarecrow.

My advice would be to do it. It might be daunting to change when you're in your 40's, but when you step back and consider the fact you might be working for the next 20+ years, a few months or years in the short term to pivot what you do really doesn't sound too bad.

Appreciate there's practical implications perhaps like earning potential, and it's often easier said than done, but I've known people to change careers at that stage of life very successfully. One bloke I knew was in the Met Police, doing well, had always enjoyed it but the hours were unsociable and once he had kids wanted something a little safer than chasing skallywags around London. He took a 50% pay cut to train as an accountant in his 40's and within a few years was back earning what he was on before, and really happy he had made the switch.
Changing Career on 13:31 - Jan 9 with 1936 viewsSikamikanico

Changing Career on 13:11 - Jan 9 by _clive_baker_

After the 1st sentence I was wondering if you're a scarecrow.

My advice would be to do it. It might be daunting to change when you're in your 40's, but when you step back and consider the fact you might be working for the next 20+ years, a few months or years in the short term to pivot what you do really doesn't sound too bad.

Appreciate there's practical implications perhaps like earning potential, and it's often easier said than done, but I've known people to change careers at that stage of life very successfully. One bloke I knew was in the Met Police, doing well, had always enjoyed it but the hours were unsociable and once he had kids wanted something a little safer than chasing skallywags around London. He took a 50% pay cut to train as an accountant in his 40's and within a few years was back earning what he was on before, and really happy he had made the switch.

Scarecrow sounds like a good career to me. I don't mind lone working.

My biggest issue is that I have no idea what I want to do. Earning potential doesn't really bother me. I'm a man of very simple needs nowadays.
Changing Career on 13:43 - Jan 9 with 1900 views_clive_baker_

Changing Career on 13:31 - Jan 9 by Sikamikanico

Scarecrow sounds like a good career to me. I don't mind lone working.

My biggest issue is that I have no idea what I want to do. Earning potential doesn't really bother me. I'm a man of very simple needs nowadays.

That's probably your first task then, think about what it is that you want to do. What will float your boat and give you what your current job isn't. Once you've got an idea of that and done some homework, you can plot a path towards it.

I've always had 'office' jobs, or desk jobs more to the point. There's a big part of me that would love to do something more hands on, like a trade of some description. It might be a big element of the grass seeming greener, but the thought of jumping in my van in the morning and having my own small business does appeal no end vs. spreadsheets, budgets and answering to American investors on why we're not hitting forecasts. No doubt had I done that for 20 years I would be wondering what the other would be like. There's no harm in that though, variety is the spice of life. They do say the average person has 3 careers. My wife worked in insurance for 6 years and now she's an NHS nurse. She would never go back to office life.
Changing Career on 13:47 - Jan 9 with 1886 viewstetchris

I went to university at 37 and changed careers. Yes it was hard and sometimes still is but I don’t regret doing it
Changing Career on 14:13 - Jan 9 with 1783 viewsemergencylime

If you can take the hit of a paycut to do something different at a lower level, then go for it.

I'm mid 40s and whilst i don't mind my current role, after 4 years I'm hardly enthused about it...so I'm currently seeing where demand outstrips supply and there are in-job learning opportunities

Poll: Another Tragical Vegas poll. Would you rather?

Login to get fewer ads

Changing Career on 14:20 - Jan 9 with 1756 viewsEdwardStone

I can sympathise Mr S

Putting the correct number of sliced pickles on the Big Mac can get very boring
Changing Career on 14:27 - Jan 9 with 1726 viewsMookamoo

Have you thought about doing something else part time and keeping your other career? Not sure if its doable to do your other job 3-4 days per week and do something else alongside it.

I still enjoy what I do as my day job, but it is office based, freelance and I work alone. I've just trained to be a cycle instructor to do something the polar opposite. I get to go into schools and teach 9-10 year olds cycle/road skills (what used to be cycling proficiency). It is a zero hours contract, so I can pick hours that suit me. What is great is there is zero stress and forces me out of the office. From a MH perspective, its just what I need.
Changing Career on 14:41 - Jan 9 with 1656 viewsSikamikanico

Changing Career on 14:27 - Jan 9 by Mookamoo

Have you thought about doing something else part time and keeping your other career? Not sure if its doable to do your other job 3-4 days per week and do something else alongside it.

I still enjoy what I do as my day job, but it is office based, freelance and I work alone. I've just trained to be a cycle instructor to do something the polar opposite. I get to go into schools and teach 9-10 year olds cycle/road skills (what used to be cycling proficiency). It is a zero hours contract, so I can pick hours that suit me. What is great is there is zero stress and forces me out of the office. From a MH perspective, its just what I need.

It really has reached the point where I don't want to do it anymore, even part time.

Glad you have found an additional job that is rewarding, especially from a MH point of view.
Changing Career on 14:44 - Jan 9 with 1639 viewsSikamikanico

Changing Career on 14:20 - Jan 9 by EdwardStone

I can sympathise Mr S

Putting the correct number of sliced pickles on the Big Mac can get very boring

and after 25 years they still won't tell me what's in the Big Mac sauce
Changing Career on 14:51 - Jan 9 with 1604 viewsWD19

Changing Career on 14:44 - Jan 9 by Sikamikanico

and after 25 years they still won't tell me what's in the Big Mac sauce

Spoiler: It differs depending on who is on the shift before.
Changing Career on 14:58 - Jan 9 with 1573 viewsBlueNomad

I retired from a job at the age of 51 after thirty years and trained as a teacher. Big leap but it was also very exciting.
Changing Career on 15:01 - Jan 9 with 1557 viewsBluesky

Not a total career change because I stayed within my profession but I took a totally different direction within it out of similar exasperation.

First - if it has been affecting your mental health this long then Yes - change and soon!
Second: not sure who said it - may have been Goethe originally but definitely used by Col Blashford-Snell to the effect that if you take the first step on a new adventure you will find that people and resources begin to appear that help you on your way. It is true!
Third : Your point of maximum uncertainty is also your point of maximum potential.
These three paradigms gave me courage and determination to make something happen. and I did. Good luck
Changing Career on 15:02 - Jan 9 with 1555 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

I went to uni at 33 and, to cut a long story short, went from Tesco shelf stacker to advertising creative. You couldn't get two more unrelated careers. As others have said, sit down and think about what you love doing, or could do. At uni I had to write a paper for my creative writing module on how creative writing could be useful in the 'real world'. Through doing that I learnt about being an advertising copywriter, and realised that's something I could do.

So basically, research. Then go for it. You've only got one life. If you work hard towards that new thing it'll come.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Changing Career on 16:14 - Jan 9 with 1429 viewsElephantintheRoom

You’ve probably reached the point where your employer will give you a career change anyway - and after 25 years your pay off could be quite substantial.

How about teaching yourself about the stock market - so when the axe falls you can amuse yourself investing your pay off whilst lounging at home? A few nights spent genning up on one of the share buying sites with a fantasy stock market investment option will soon have you more qualified than the average financial adviser.

Then in a year or two you can get your mitts on your 25 year pension pot, invest it in a SIPP and hey presto you’ll never need to work again.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Changing Career on 16:43 - Jan 9 with 1358 viewsLA_Tractor_Boy

Interesting reading the various responses to this and the different experiences people have.

After 30+ years I'm also bored of my job and don't find it rewarding, but the pay is good, I'm able to work from home and I'm aware that the grass isn't always greener etc.

I wish I was more of a risk taker, but I'll probably just stick it out for the next 6-7 years until I retire.
Changing Career on 17:15 - Jan 9 with 1294 viewsChurchman

At the age of 38 I’d done ok, was paid pretty well, but I’d had enough of the career I had and left. After that, the pattern was temporary work, temporary work with another company. Permanent work with them. After three plus great years with them, redundancy.

I took six months off then started looking for work again. It was harder at 44 than it had been at 38 to find work, but I did.

It was poorly paid, but something new and by the time I retired I was well paid for what I did, had met some interesting people and done some fascinating things.

No regrets whatsoever. Best thing I ever did.

If you hate it, do something about it. Move on if necessary. You spend a lot of time in work and get one life. You never know what’s out there until you look.

If you decide enough is enough, leave and don’t look back. If you can, plan your way out. CVs skills, try and identify what you’d like to do and what your skills actually are. If you need to retrain, so be it. Everyone has to retrain/upskill etc anyway even if you stay with an employer. It’s how it is.

You will have more skills than you think and stuff you might relate only to your current employer may well be transferable. It’s hard to analyse oneself, but do it if you can. And remember, you can learn most things, even if you think you have skills gaps.

It’s said it’s easier to get work if you already in work, but tbh, I didn’t, but then I had enough money to buy me time and Mrs C was working. Regardless, I’d have got work doing something.

Was it hard leaving an employer after being with them a long time? Yes. Everyone gets ‘institutionalised’ and employers kind of take advantage of that. But it shouldn’t stop you. There will be something better for you out there.

One last thing. A partner of a friend of mine, who was about 40 at the time, had a very well paid IT job. It was doing his head in. He was done. He left and went to work for Asda driving their delivery vans. He loved it and looked years younger. He’s paid a fraction of what he was but they’re managing. I guess I’m saying that while we work for a living never forget there are other aspects that are just as important, if not more so.

Good luck with it.
Changing Career on 22:59 - Jan 9 with 1097 viewsChrisd

I did. For reasons very similar to what you’ve posted, the job was impacting negatively on my mental health, it was changing my behaviour and I didn’t like what I was becoming. For me, it was teaching where I’d spent 20 years as a primary teacher and SLT member, I respect those that are still doing it, it’s an extremely tough profession but you also need to enjoy what you are doing, I wasn’t and hadn’t for sometime. I decided to make the change and I’m now working at Leyton Orient with the Academy as Head of Player Care. It involves a lot of skills I used in teaching, but in an environment I love and one I’m far more motivated about. I can’t lie, it took a bit of time and a few knock-backs to get to that point. The only thing I regret is that I didn’t do it sooner. I stuck at teaching believing that’s the only thing that I’m trained in, what else can I do? However, there will be jobs out there that require your skillset, I’m sure you have a lot of transferable talents, but try to identify fields you would feel motivated by and then look for jobs in those sectors. That will give you a good starting point. All the very best Sika, life is too short if there is the right opportunity to change then go for it.Experience is an important commodity that shouldn’t be undervalued.
[Post edited 9 Jan 23:02]

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Changing Career on 23:10 - Jan 9 with 1059 viewsLRB84UK

Currently in the process of changing career. I've been in pharmacy for 20 odd years, the last 14 years at the hospital pharmacy.

I'm now a third of the way through my midwifery degree, wish I'd done it years ago!

Giving up my 'safety network pharmacy was really tough but I'd grown to hate it and was miserable.

I turn 40 in a few days, covid was definitely the push I needed to do what I needed to.
Changing Career on 23:24 - Jan 9 with 1022 viewsBLUEBEAT

I had a total career change last April.

I was sick of the constant stress/pressure from the vocation I had done for approx 35 years, plus having to work 12 hour shifts, evenings, nights, weekends, bank hols etc.

I now only work 35 hours a week Mon-Fri with absolutely no pressure or responsibilities. I have lost about £25K a year at my new place but can honestly say I have never been happier in a work environment.

It really is true that money cannot buy you happiness.

Poll: W or W

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024