Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Humphreys at left back. 22:16 - Jan 6 with 2871 viewsMercian

I missed the game today. How did he do/does he have a future playing there?
[Post edited 6 Jan 22:18]
Humphreys at left back. on 22:19 - Jan 6 with 2823 viewsGlasgowBlue

To be brutally honest, I thought he was bullied by stronger and bigger opposition.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Humphreys at left back. on 22:21 - Jan 6 with 2783 viewsFrimleyBlue

Personally, I'd rather have kenlock back if that's the cover

Love humphreys but Imo we are killing him with appearances there.

Still say he's a 10

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Humphreys at left back. on 23:24 - Jan 6 with 2554 viewsJohn_Warks_Willy

Humphreys at left back. on 22:21 - Jan 6 by FrimleyBlue

Personally, I'd rather have kenlock back if that's the cover

Love humphreys but Imo we are killing him with appearances there.

Still say he's a 10

He’s brilliant at footy that kid, in my humble opinion.

Poll: Is Billm….

Humphreys at left back. on 23:26 - Jan 6 with 2514 viewsFrimleyBlue

Humphreys at left back. on 23:24 - Jan 6 by John_Warks_Willy

He is, but not at LB.

Waka waka eh eh

Humphreys at left back. on 23:27 - Jan 6 with 2517 viewsJohn_Warks_Willy

Humphreys at left back. on 23:26 - Jan 6 by FrimleyBlue

He is, but not at LB.

Yeah, happy to take your word on that - haven’t seen either of his games there

Poll: Is Billm….

Humphreys at left back. on 01:27 - Jan 7 with 2346 viewskizaitfc

Agree with other comments on here, right now he is nowhere near the level to play in first team.

That's not to say he won't get there but he needs more games and he isn't going to get it here.

Poll: Mick in or out? (not a dig at Mick just want to see the overall opinion on here)

Humphreys at left back. on 05:28 - Jan 7 with 2202 viewsFrankMarshall

Humphreys at left back. on 23:24 - Jan 6 by John_Warks_Willy

Really good footballer and heavily involved in most of our build up play, but shouldn't be playing at left back.

Frank Marshall

Humphreys at left back. on 06:28 - Jan 7 with 2144 viewsBondiBlue

Humphreys at left back. on 05:28 - Jan 7 by FrankMarshall

Really good footballer and heavily involved in most of our build up play, but shouldn't be playing at left back.

I think left back might actually end up being where he plays for most of his career. He's quick enough and definitely fit enough to play there but arguably too lightweight for centre mid.

Poll: Which would you accept?

Login to get fewer ads

Humphreys at left back. on 07:39 - Jan 7 with 2056 viewsPioneerBlue

Given he’s presumably been mentally focused on a midfield position, probably a slightly more attacking one his whole short life to be able to even back up at left full back in a KMcK team speaks volumes.

The positions couldn’t be more different technically, one requires relentless up and back on oneside of pitch, receiving the ball in space at the back or driving into space in the top third then crossing versus constantly moving in a larger space, taking the ball in tight spaces then looking for a range of passes or doing more damage around opposition box.

He may well end up in this position or this helps progress his game through first team minutes.

Blog: Ipswich Ramblings

Humphreys at left back. on 07:54 - Jan 7 with 2009 viewsBlueBoots

Humphreys at left back. on 06:28 - Jan 7 by BondiBlue

I think left back might actually end up being where he plays for most of his career. He's quick enough and definitely fit enough to play there but arguably too lightweight for centre mid.

He's doing a job for us there at the moment, as we're low on options; thought he did OK, but I'm not a fan of right-footed left-backs (or vice versa) as you tend to lose out from an attacking point of view when they cut back on to their preferred foot, and have more difficulty stopping crosses.

That said, we have a bit of a perfect storm with our entire defence at the moment - all 4 full backs out with injury / illness issues, and both left-footed CBs away on internationals. Other than Woolfenden playing in his natural position (he and Morsy were outstanding yesterday, Broadhead looking closer to his best, but missing a little composure near goal) the whole back 5 we put out yesterday was a bit off balance. Noticeable with Walton in goal we were trying to build from much further back than with Hladky, Axel (like Humphreys) is doing a job, and although Fridge had a decent game, it does help having a leftie on that side.

I think Humphreys will end up playing as a 10, as he has an excellent eye for a pass and a good workrate to press and drop back to help out the midfield.

Poll: My morning poo-poo took 3 flushes to clear. Who do I call?

Humphreys at left back. on 08:12 - Jan 7 with 1946 viewstractorboy1978

Humphreys at left back. on 07:54 - Jan 7 by BlueBoots

He's doing a job for us there at the moment, as we're low on options; thought he did OK, but I'm not a fan of right-footed left-backs (or vice versa) as you tend to lose out from an attacking point of view when they cut back on to their preferred foot, and have more difficulty stopping crosses.

That said, we have a bit of a perfect storm with our entire defence at the moment - all 4 full backs out with injury / illness issues, and both left-footed CBs away on internationals. Other than Woolfenden playing in his natural position (he and Morsy were outstanding yesterday, Broadhead looking closer to his best, but missing a little composure near goal) the whole back 5 we put out yesterday was a bit off balance. Noticeable with Walton in goal we were trying to build from much further back than with Hladky, Axel (like Humphreys) is doing a job, and although Fridge had a decent game, it does help having a leftie on that side.

I think Humphreys will end up playing as a 10, as he has an excellent eye for a pass and a good workrate to press and drop back to help out the midfield.

Humphreys is left footed.
Humphreys at left back. on 08:28 - Jan 7 with 1887 viewsDJR

I thought he did fine, although perhaps he didn't get into as many attacking positions as the second half of the QPR game. But his pinpoint crosses in the QPR game had shades of Davis to me.

As it was, I noticed particularly in the first half that when Humphreys was in plenty of space on the left, Edmundson tended not to play the ball to him when that seemed to me the obvious ball.
[Post edited 7 Jan 9:27]
Humphreys at left back. on 09:27 - Jan 7 with 1632 viewsfranz_tyson

Not sure where he'll end up playing on the pitch, but I think he needs a loan move away to play week in, week out. He's got loads of talent and a very decent engine. I just think he needs to improve in these physical battles. Just a tad light-weight, even though he's very competitive and got a bit of mongrel. I know many want him to stay so he can train under McKenna, but I think the best finishing school would be a loan move in L1. Don't think he's quite ready to step into Davis' boots yet. But... if he could add a bit of physicality to his game ...he could be a possible successor to Davis when he gets his move to the PL.
Humphreys at left back. on 09:43 - Jan 7 with 1539 viewsblueislander

Humphreys at left back. on 08:28 - Jan 7 by DJR

I thought he did fine, although perhaps he didn't get into as many attacking positions as the second half of the QPR game. But his pinpoint crosses in the QPR game had shades of Davis to me.

As it was, I noticed particularly in the first half that when Humphreys was in plenty of space on the left, Edmundson tended not to play the ball to him when that seemed to me the obvious ball.
[Post edited 7 Jan 9:27]

I thought he played quite a long way forward, and it looked like a back three most of the time. He looked pretty comfortable in that role. In the league matches I imagine we would revert to an orthodox back four and the left back would have more defensive duties. I thought the Wimbledon left back had a good game.
Humphreys at left back. on 10:05 - Jan 7 with 1449 viewsSheffordBlue

Humphreys at left back. on 09:43 - Jan 7 by blueislander

I thought he played quite a long way forward, and it looked like a back three most of the time. He looked pretty comfortable in that role. In the league matches I imagine we would revert to an orthodox back four and the left back would have more defensive duties. I thought the Wimbledon left back had a good game.

In the first half of the QPR game McKenna was constantly urging him to push further forward. His positioning yesterday was much closer to Davis's usually is (who is often one of our most advanced players). With Wimbledon staying very compact he didn't get the space that Davis does in some games. If he has to cover any more for Davis it will be interesting to see how he does against different set ups.

Poll: How many points do you think you'll need to get a ticket for Norwich?

Humphreys at left back. on 10:51 - Jan 7 with 1344 viewsrickw

I thought his passing was good as you'd expect but he's not strong enough to play in defence at the moment, he was muscled off the ball and lost 60/40 challenges

Poll: Of the Non Favourites for ITFC managers job who would you prefer
Blog: Reasons for Relegation

Humphreys at left back. on 11:13 - Jan 7 with 1289 viewsitfcsuth

Technically he’s well suited for that role. Has the engine to play that role too.

Physically has lots to develop though.

That’ll come in time, and will improve him immensely.

Can see him long term playing the ultra attacking LB role when he’s has developed and filled out - has an absolute wand of left foot - very similar to Davis in that respect.
Humphreys at left back. on 11:20 - Jan 7 with 1250 viewsFrimleyBlue

Humphreys at left back. on 11:13 - Jan 7 by itfcsuth

Technically he’s well suited for that role. Has the engine to play that role too.

Physically has lots to develop though.

That’ll come in time, and will improve him immensely.

Can see him long term playing the ultra attacking LB role when he’s has developed and filled out - has an absolute wand of left foot - very similar to Davis in that respect.

Physically how much more can he actually develop?

He's 21 now, he's not that youngster anymore in football terms.

Waka waka eh eh

Humphreys at left back. on 11:45 - Jan 7 with 1181 viewsitfcsuth

Humphreys at left back. on 11:20 - Jan 7 by FrimleyBlue

Still lots of physical development in him.

He’s 20 years old - he’s a young lad still, everybody develops at different rates, still looks as though he has some filling out to do - you look at Idris El Mizouni for example, he now looks like a fully develop man, but he’s 23. At 20 El Miz also had lots of physical development ahead of him.

Cam is technically as good as any, but isn’t physically there yeti

Will come in time, looks a natural successor to Davis.
Humphreys at left back. on 12:02 - Jan 7 with 1132 viewstractorboy1978

Humphreys at left back. on 11:20 - Jan 7 by FrimleyBlue

He only turned 20 just over 2 months ago. Any more fact checking required in this thread? Jeez.
Humphreys at left back. on 12:22 - Jan 7 with 1074 viewsFrimleyBlue

Humphreys at left back. on 12:02 - Jan 7 by tractorboy1978

He only turned 20 just over 2 months ago. Any more fact checking required in this thread? Jeez.

Ah my bad someone said he was 21 on twitter, sorry to upset you so much.

Waka waka eh eh

Humphreys at left back. on 13:01 - Jan 7 with 976 viewsSheffordBlue

Humphreys at left back. on 11:45 - Jan 7 by itfcsuth

Still lots of physical development in him.

He’s 20 years old - he’s a young lad still, everybody develops at different rates, still looks as though he has some filling out to do - you look at Idris El Mizouni for example, he now looks like a fully develop man, but he’s 23. At 20 El Miz also had lots of physical development ahead of him.

Cam is technically as good as any, but isn’t physically there yeti

Will come in time, looks a natural successor to Davis.

I have a theory that developing him physically is one of the reasons they haven't loaned him out this season. While our Sports Science team can liaise with the loan clubs equivalent it's much easier to control, monitor and adjust if they're seeing him day in, day out.

Poll: How many points do you think you'll need to get a ticket for Norwich?

Humphreys at left back. on 14:38 - Jan 7 with 819 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

He has a better shot than Lief but he is no left back.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024