Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
AFC Wimbledon train travel 08:17 - Jan 4 with 2115 views3_5_2

At the moment I am driving on Saturday which is not ideal and I missed supporter coach bookings so looking at the train

How hard is it to get there from Liverpool Street ?

Hindsight is always 20:20
Poll: Which system should we play?

AFC Wimbledon train travel on 08:19 - Jan 4 with 2087 viewsITFC_Forever

Not too bad via underground / overground, wombling free.

Getting to Liverpool St from Ipswich will be the harder part.

P 1126, W 502, D 288, L 336, F 1711, A 1360
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

AFC Wimbledon train travel on 08:20 - Jan 4 with 2079 viewsJackSted

You can get the Central Line to Bank, then the Waterloo & City to Waterloo. Then get national rail from Waterloo to Earlsfield :)

*Edit - forgot Waterloo & City won't run on weekends! In that case, I'd suggest getting the Jubilee from Stratford to Waterloo and National Rail to Earlsfield*

Or, alternatively, you can get the Northern Line from Moorgate direct to Tooting Broadway
[Post edited 4 Jan 13:06]

TWTD Supervillain
Poll: Is Lambert the right man for the job?

AFC Wimbledon train travel on 08:23 - Jan 4 with 2053 viewsbluelagos

Got a similarish journey.

Presume you are getting a tube to Liv St...lots of options from Newbury Park, Redbridge or Wanstead.

At Liv St take tube to Waterloo. Then you can get a direct train from there. Not checked best station for the stadium but sure someone can work that out.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

AFC Wimbledon train travel on 08:24 - Jan 4 with 2045 viewsSwoody

Haydons Road is close by Stadium, from Liverpool Street train to Farringdon then change for train to Haydons Road. Train Line App gives more details.
AFC Wimbledon train travel on 08:25 - Jan 4 with 2034 views_clive_baker_

Only realised yesterday its an early kick off. Good job I checked.
AFC Wimbledon train travel on 08:32 - Jan 4 with 2009 viewsbluelagos

AFC Wimbledon train travel on 08:25 - Jan 4 by _clive_baker_

Only realised yesterday its an early kick off. Good job I checked.

As a teen a mate dragged me along to watch West Ham Arsenal.

We got there and there were a distinct lack of fans. We'd got the wrong ground (was at Highbuty) and wrong time (lunfhtime kick off)

Apart from that...

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

AFC Wimbledon train travel on 08:56 - Jan 4 with 1918 viewsSteve_M

Yeah, all sorts of options. Northern Line from Moorgate is probably the most straightfroward if you come into Liverpool Street.

There are rail replacement buses on Saturday (and every other bloody Saturday...) but Witham - Ingatestone is fairly painless as they go.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

AFC Wimbledon train travel on 08:59 - Jan 4 with 1884 viewsandytown

AFC Wimbledon train travel on 08:20 - Jan 4 by JackSted

You can get the Central Line to Bank, then the Waterloo & City to Waterloo. Then get national rail from Waterloo to Earlsfield :)

*Edit - forgot Waterloo & City won't run on weekends! In that case, I'd suggest getting the Jubilee from Stratford to Waterloo and National Rail to Earlsfield*

Or, alternatively, you can get the Northern Line from Moorgate direct to Tooting Broadway

Just in case you’re thinking about the Waterloo &City, it’s closed at weekends.
Login to get fewer ads

AFC Wimbledon train travel on 09:05 - Jan 4 with 1847 viewsSitfcB

Last time I went we went from Waterloo to Earlsfield, which not a lot of people seemed to do as the train was dead

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

AFC Wimbledon train travel on 09:07 - Jan 4 with 1832 viewsSitfcB

AFC Wimbledon train travel on 09:05 - Jan 4 by SitfcB

Last time I went we went from Waterloo to Earlsfield, which not a lot of people seemed to do as the train was dead

And if you want to avoid the rail replacement buses you can get to London via Cambridge.

COYB

AFC Wimbledon train travel on 09:09 - Jan 4 with 1809 viewsunbelievablue

AFC Wimbledon train travel on 08:56 - Jan 4 by Steve_M

Yeah, all sorts of options. Northern Line from Moorgate is probably the most straightfroward if you come into Liverpool Street.

There are rail replacement buses on Saturday (and every other bloody Saturday...) but Witham - Ingatestone is fairly painless as they go.

The Farringdon option is quite nice as direct to Haydon's Road and avoids the northern line, albeit slightly longer.

Le meilleur des mondes possibles
Poll: When booking a reservation at a restaurant/bar, do you give...

AFC Wimbledon train travel on 09:09 - Jan 4 with 1810 views_clive_baker_

I'm looking forward to it, my first flat is about a 5 minutes walk to the ground, so it'll be nice to stroll around and see what's changed. I've not been back there since I sold it pre Covid. It's not everybody's cup of tea but Earlsfield is a decent area IMO, some good pubs if anyone is in the market and taking that route. Hemingford Arms is decent, as is the Leather bottle which could break up the walk to the ground, although its not far.

Would also recommend Tooting broadway market, really underrated and a fine array of street food to be found there if anyone fancies a post match mooch.
AFC Wimbledon train travel on 09:14 - Jan 4 with 1752 viewsDJR

The Waterloo and City line isn't open at weekends.

EDIT: didn't spot someone has also made this point.
[Post edited 4 Jan 9:15]
AFC Wimbledon train travel on 09:14 - Jan 4 with 1739 views3_5_2

Thanks everyone for your help

First time at this ground so looking forward to it

Hindsight is always 20:20
Poll: Which system should we play?

AFC Wimbledon train travel on 09:52 - Jan 4 with 1534 viewsSteve_M

AFC Wimbledon train travel on 09:09 - Jan 4 by unbelievablue

The Farringdon option is quite nice as direct to Haydon's Road and avoids the northern line, albeit slightly longer.

I was going to go to Earlsfield but that works quite nicely for me too thinking about it as 40 mins from St Pancras.

It's such a nice away trip as there are so many good options for transport, after the game two years ago it felt like the crowds had dispersed well before we got to Earlsfield.

AFC Wimbledon train travel on 09:56 - Jan 4 with 1495 viewsJakeITFC

When my other half lived in Wandsworth my route would be jubilee from Stratford to Waterloo, then the national rail service (Earlsfield is on the same line). Liverpool St to Waterloo is an annoying journey (especially at the weekend with no Waterloo and City).

FWIW I’m driving this weekend as it’s a pig of a journey by train with the rail replacement in place.
AFC Wimbledon train travel on 10:36 - Jan 4 with 1323 viewsNewMaldenBlue

AFC Wimbledon train travel on 09:09 - Jan 4 by _clive_baker_

I'm looking forward to it, my first flat is about a 5 minutes walk to the ground, so it'll be nice to stroll around and see what's changed. I've not been back there since I sold it pre Covid. It's not everybody's cup of tea but Earlsfield is a decent area IMO, some good pubs if anyone is in the market and taking that route. Hemingford Arms is decent, as is the Leather bottle which could break up the walk to the ground, although its not far.

Would also recommend Tooting broadway market, really underrated and a fine array of street food to be found there if anyone fancies a post match mooch.

Went to league game 2 years back. Leather bottle was home fans only (show home ticket) but you could sneak in through the car park.
Pub just North of Earlsfield Station which was neutral.
Chippie on the way from Earlsfield to the ground was cash only -- And thanks again to the Town fan who paid for the chips for my daughter.
[Post edited 4 Jan 10:39]
AFC Wimbledon train travel on 10:46 - Jan 4 with 1285 viewsSteve_M

AFC Wimbledon train travel on 10:36 - Jan 4 by NewMaldenBlue

Went to league game 2 years back. Leather bottle was home fans only (show home ticket) but you could sneak in through the car park.
Pub just North of Earlsfield Station which was neutral.
Chippie on the way from Earlsfield to the ground was cash only -- And thanks again to the Town fan who paid for the chips for my daughter.
[Post edited 4 Jan 10:39]

The Leatherbottle checked our tickets, I asked whether they would let us in as we were way fans and they were fine.

I told them that.... on 11:04 - Jan 4 with 1197 viewsBloots

AFC Wimbledon train travel on 10:46 - Jan 4 by Steve_M

The Leatherbottle checked our tickets, I asked whether they would let us in as we were way fans and they were fine.

....I wasn't going to the football.

They just let me in, I laughed.

Great beer garden, proper expensive.

Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Elite Level Human

AFC Wimbledon train travel on 11:10 - Jan 4 with 1163 viewsSitfcB

AFC Wimbledon train travel on 09:52 - Jan 4 by Steve_M

I was going to go to Earlsfield but that works quite nicely for me too thinking about it as 40 mins from St Pancras.

It's such a nice away trip as there are so many good options for transport, after the game two years ago it felt like the crowds had dispersed well before we got to Earlsfield.

That was 2 years ago. F’ck. I only thought it was a year ago. Where’s the time gone.

COYB

AFC Wimbledon train travel on 11:27 - Jan 4 with 1116 viewsBasingstokeBlue

The Drain doesn't run on Saturdays.

Poll: What do you think of the three stars being relocated?

AFC Wimbledon train travel on 12:13 - Jan 4 with 1009 viewsPhilTWTD

AFC Wimbledon train travel on 09:56 - Jan 4 by JakeITFC

When my other half lived in Wandsworth my route would be jubilee from Stratford to Waterloo, then the national rail service (Earlsfield is on the same line). Liverpool St to Waterloo is an annoying journey (especially at the weekend with no Waterloo and City).

FWIW I’m driving this weekend as it’s a pig of a journey by train with the rail replacement in place.

I'm thinking of driving to Shenfield then taking the route you suggest.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024