Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Could we play Broadhead through the middle? 14:30 - Dec 28 with 2562 viewsnodge_blue

I know he couldn't do the physical stuff or win headers, but the lad is a striker type player. If he plays off the defenders shoulder looking to dart in behind like a Billy Sharp type of striker?

We then leave Harness on the left.....

Just a thought Kieron.

Poll: best attacking central midfielder?

Could we play Broadhead through the middle? on 14:33 - Dec 28 with 2031 viewsnrb1985

Chaplin as a false 9 would get my vote.

Freddie and KJ been two excellent servants for the club but we cannot rely on them for any period of time in this division.

Ladapo in particular looks hopelessly out of his depth. Not a slight on him given it’s a dramatic step up from league one.
Could we play Broadhead through the middle? on 14:38 - Dec 28 with 1999 viewsnodge_blue

Could we play Broadhead through the middle? on 14:33 - Dec 28 by nrb1985

Freddie and KJ been two excellent servants for the club but we cannot rely on them for any period of time in this division.

Ladapo in particular looks hopelessly out of his depth. Not a slight on him given it’s a dramatic step up from league one.

I think thats another option. He also was a striker earlier on i believe.

You could play him there and push taylor into his position maybe.

Think id still prefer broadhead but id be keen to at least see one of those given a chance there.

Could we play Broadhead through the middle? on 14:41 - Dec 28 with 1971 viewsLeoMuff

Should be Ladapo, unless there is a reason his game time is limited, eg a move is agreed. No one else bring the attributes that Hirst does, only Ladapo is similar.

The only Muff in Town.
Poll: Lamberts rotational policy has left us....

Could we play Broadhead through the middle? on 14:43 - Dec 28 with 1961 viewsStokieBlue

I would think we are more likely to play Broadhead through the middle than Chaplin as a false 9 - I don't think it's a particularly good idea to start messing with formations we've used for 100 games or so.

It'll probably be Jackson but Broadhead would be an option.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Could we play Broadhead through the middle? on 14:45 - Dec 28 with 1941 viewssuffolkpoker

No mate, sounds crap. As bad as suggesting Clarke to be striker

Poll: Should Hewitt play for the Gulls in the 2nd round of the FA Cup

Could we play Broadhead through the middle? on 14:46 - Dec 28 with 1922 viewsbilllm

Said Tuesday Chaplin should have gone up top and broadhead come on, McK isn't that brave and won't change from a runaround up top which has served us well,
This is going to hurt us,
Could we play Broadhead through the middle? on 14:48 - Dec 28 with 1915 viewsSheffordBlue

The challenge with doing anything like that is that there isn't really enough time on the training ground with the current run of games to try anything different. Possibly after the Stoke game when we have a bit more of a breather it might happen.

Poll: How many points do you think you'll need to get a ticket for Norwich?

Could we play Broadhead through the middle? on 14:49 - Dec 28 with 1893 viewsStokieBlue

Could we play Broadhead through the middle? on 14:45 - Dec 28 by suffolkpoker

No mate, sounds crap. As bad as suggesting Clarke to be striker

Why?

He's played as a CF at other clubs during his career.

It'll be Jackson though and that's fine - he did well against Leicester.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Login to get fewer ads

Could we play Broadhead through the middle? on 14:53 - Dec 28 with 1849 viewsGuthrum

Could we play Broadhead through the middle? on 14:41 - Dec 28 by LeoMuff

Should be Ladapo, unless there is a reason his game time is limited, eg a move is agreed. No one else bring the attributes that Hirst does, only Ladapo is similar.

Indeed. Or Jackson.

Quite apart from the fact that Broadhead is missing the goal a lot at the moment. The extra pressure of being designated striker is not going to help with that.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Could we play Broadhead through the middle? on 14:54 - Dec 28 with 1849 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Broadhead is an excellent player with a good number of goals to his name but I have found his finishing has been a problem in our last 3 matches. Most of our really good chances have fallen to him but he has only taken one of them. He is getting into those positions from the role he is playing. As you say, he wouldn't be a direct replacement for Hirst and I wouldn't like to see it. I think Ladapo will get the nod and Jackson to replace (albeit he being a different option). Aluko is another possibility. I don't suppose there is anyone like Taylor who might have played it at some point?

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Could we play Broadhead through the middle? on 14:56 - Dec 28 with 1820 viewssuffolkpoker

Could we play Broadhead through the middle? on 14:49 - Dec 28 by StokieBlue

Why?

He's played as a CF at other clubs during his career.

It'll be Jackson though and that's fine - he did well against Leicester.

SB

Because he doesn’t have the attributes for a lone striker that KM likes.
Jackson looks good at the moment and sufficient back up until the window opens

Poll: Should Hewitt play for the Gulls in the 2nd round of the FA Cup

Could we play Broadhead through the middle? on 14:58 - Dec 28 with 1794 viewstractorboy1978

Could we play Broadhead through the middle? on 14:56 - Dec 28 by suffolkpoker

Because he doesn’t have the attributes for a lone striker that KM likes.
Jackson looks good at the moment and sufficient back up until the window opens

Jackson is dogsh!t in that role I am afraid.
Could we play Broadhead through the middle? on 15:04 - Dec 28 with 1762 viewsITFCBlues

yeah, let's just change the whole tactical setup & all the patterns of play the players have drilled into them that's made us so good the last 12 months & play Chaplin as a false 9.

Poll: Has our squad been improved this summer?

Could we play Broadhead through the middle? on 15:05 - Dec 28 with 1749 viewsITFCBlues

Could we play Broadhead through the middle? on 14:58 - Dec 28 by tractorboy1978

Jackson is dogsh!t in that role I am afraid.

Was fine earlier in the season against Leeds & then Leicester the other night...

Not like we have many other options really is it...

Poll: Has our squad been improved this summer?

Could we play Broadhead through the middle? on 15:15 - Dec 28 with 1711 viewsnodge_blue

Could we play Broadhead through the middle? on 14:48 - Dec 28 by SheffordBlue

The challenge with doing anything like that is that there isn't really enough time on the training ground with the current run of games to try anything different. Possibly after the Stoke game when we have a bit more of a breather it might happen.

That's almost certainly true. Kieron isn't the sort of manager to do something without seeing it in training for quite a while and getting it well drilled. Probably unlikely in the next couple of games.

But if we don't secure a new striker early on in the window I just cant see that Jackson or Ladapo are going to have enough about them at a critical part of the season.

Could we play Broadhead through the middle? on 15:17 - Dec 28 with 1687 viewsjayessess

Could we play Broadhead through the middle? on 14:46 - Dec 28 by billlm

Said Tuesday Chaplin should have gone up top and broadhead come on, McK isn't that brave and won't change from a runaround up top which has served us well,
This is going to hurt us,

Think it's obvious that McKenna prefers to maintain our patterns of play, trusting the squad players to step up and do the job they've been trained to do, rather than get too outlandish with moving players out of their preferred position.

Which is as it should be. Nobody doubts that Harness and Hutchinson are pound for pound better quality footballers than Ladapo and Jackson, but we haven't got to second because we have the best 25 players in the division, we've got there because of what we do collectively.
[Post edited 28 Dec 2023 15:23]

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Could we play Broadhead through the middle? on 15:21 - Dec 28 with 1658 viewstractorboy1978

Could we play Broadhead through the middle? on 15:05 - Dec 28 by ITFCBlues

Was fine earlier in the season against Leeds & then Leicester the other night...

I thought he was dreadful against Leicester. We got through that game with our patterns of play in spite of him rather than because of him. He presses well and works hard but just has no technical quality whatsoever when it comes to hold up, link up, bringing others into play etc.
Could we play Broadhead through the middle? on 15:30 - Dec 28 with 1618 viewsBluedandy

Could we play Broadhead through the middle? on 15:05 - Dec 28 by ITFCBlues

Ladapo is a much better option in that role ... Jackson is not the answer even in the short term.
Could we play Broadhead through the middle? on 15:30 - Dec 28 with 1616 viewsjayessess

Could we play Broadhead through the middle? on 15:21 - Dec 28 by tractorboy1978

I thought he was dreadful against Leicester. We got through that game with our patterns of play in spite of him rather than because of him. He presses well and works hard but just has no technical quality whatsoever when it comes to hold up, link up, bringing others into play etc.

Having the striker "press well and work hard" isn't incidental to our game plan. The number of times we forced Leicester to turn the ball over, often well inside their own half, wasn't "in spite" of Jacko, he was a big part of it.

Could we play Broadhead through the middle? on 15:34 - Dec 28 with 1593 viewstractorboy1978

Could we play Broadhead through the middle? on 15:30 - Dec 28 by jayessess

Having the striker "press well and work hard" isn't incidental to our game plan. The number of times we forced Leicester to turn the ball over, often well inside their own half, wasn't "in spite" of Jacko, he was a big part of it.

Pointless for me though, if you lose the ball almost every time it goes into you.
Could we play Broadhead through the middle? on 15:37 - Dec 28 with 1580 viewsSheffordBlue

Could we play Broadhead through the middle? on 15:34 - Dec 28 by tractorboy1978

Pointless for me though, if you lose the ball almost every time it goes into you.

Hirst's mis-controlled rate per 90 is actually worse than Jackson's although some of that is down to Jackson playing most of his minutes out wide I think.

Could we play Broadhead through the middle? on 15:46 - Dec 28 with 1536 viewstractorboy1978

Could we play Broadhead through the middle? on 15:37 - Dec 28 by SheffordBlue

Hirst's mis-controlled rate per 90 is actually worse than Jackson's although some of that is down to Jackson playing most of his minutes out wide I think.

Yeah I'd imagine that's because Hirst is having to take balls on his chest or zinged into him with a defender right up his backside, whereas Jackson has predominantly been ball into feet out wide.

I suspect Ladapo will start tomorrow. Although I'd be tempted to play Broadhead through the middle and have a more fluid front 3. He played for Sunderland predominantly as a number 9 pretty effectively. Maybe a case for Jackson away from home but in a home game where we will dominate the possession, that makes no sense to me as he can't handle the ball into his feet or link play well enough.
Could we play Broadhead through the middle? on 15:48 - Dec 28 with 1513 viewsSheffordBlue

Could we play Broadhead through the middle? on 15:46 - Dec 28 by tractorboy1978

Yeah I'd imagine that's because Hirst is having to take balls on his chest or zinged into him with a defender right up his backside, whereas Jackson has predominantly been ball into feet out wide.

I suspect Ladapo will start tomorrow. Although I'd be tempted to play Broadhead through the middle and have a more fluid front 3. He played for Sunderland predominantly as a number 9 pretty effectively. Maybe a case for Jackson away from home but in a home game where we will dominate the possession, that makes no sense to me as he can't handle the ball into his feet or link play well enough.

I agree with you that Ladapo is likely to start as the 9 tomorrow. Not enough time to mess about the system so need to go with what the players know and have trained for. Any tinkering will come after Stoke I think.

Could we play Broadhead through the middle? on 16:01 - Dec 28 with 1468 viewsbilllm

Could we play Broadhead through the middle? on 15:17 - Dec 28 by jayessess

Think it's obvious that McKenna prefers to maintain our patterns of play, trusting the squad players to step up and do the job they've been trained to do, rather than get too outlandish with moving players out of their preferred position.

Which is as it should be. Nobody doubts that Harness and Hutchinson are pound for pound better quality footballers than Ladapo and Jackson, but we haven't got to second because we have the best 25 players in the division, we've got there because of what we do collectively.
[Post edited 28 Dec 2023 15:23]

Can't agree with this
Could we play Broadhead through the middle? on 16:02 - Dec 28 with 1460 viewsjayessess

Could we play Broadhead through the middle? on 15:34 - Dec 28 by tractorboy1978

Pointless? It's like at least 50% of our (incredibly effective) game plan!

There's a reason why promoting Jackson to centre forward for tough games was one of the first decisions McKenna made.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024