Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
January transfer window = improving the squad or improving the first eleven? 09:11 - Dec 24 with 4992 viewsGlasgowBlue

Seen a lot of talk about needing back up for Hirst. Or back up fur Morsy. Or more cover in defence.

But in the last transfer window, when we were second in the league, we brought in 4 players specifically to improve the starting eleven. Hirst to replace Ladapo who was our highest scorer in the league for several seasons, Broadhead fir Harness who had a great first half to the season but was admittedly struggling after a bad injury, Clarke for Donacien who had been the previous season’s POTY runner up and wasn’t seen particularly as vulnerable, and Luongo in midfield who at the time was seen as a punt but very much back up until he made himself undropable.

So I if we do similar this year who do we see as being vulnerable in our accepted best eleven?

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

January transfer window = improving the squad or improving the first eleven? on 15:01 - Dec 24 with 1690 viewscressi

Need to be on a similar level or better or you may as well keep what you have .
January transfer window = improving the squad or improving the first eleven? on 15:03 - Dec 24 with 1690 viewscressi

January transfer window = improving the squad or improving the first eleven? on 11:17 - Dec 24 by pointofblue

This will be controversial but part of me feels Donacien deserves a chance at right back when he returns from injury. I'd say defensively we looked at our most stable with him there plus we recorded three results which kick-started our season, including what I would still say was our best overall performance against Stoke.

I find it interesting that, arguably, the four positions which need looking at the most are the four we invested in last January - RB, CM, 10 and ST. Maybe it shows a pattern of how we're developing the squad with LB (Williams), CB (Tuanzebe) and RW (Hutchinson) worked on over the summer - albeit Taylor hasn't had as much an impact as I expected considering the relative outlay. I do wonder how he would do in Broadhead's number ten position when the latter is struggling or needs a break.

Can't say that janoi only played v Accrington stanley hardly Leeds or Leicester.
January transfer window = improving the squad or improving the first eleven? on 15:15 - Dec 24 with 1659 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

January transfer window = improving the squad or improving the first eleven? on 11:26 - Dec 24 by Herbivore

Ooh, so edgy.

But incredibly not the worst post on the thread - take a bow Frimley for out-elephanting the old dullard….
January transfer window = improving the squad or improving the first eleven? on 15:17 - Dec 24 with 1652 viewstractordownsouth

January transfer window = improving the squad or improving the first eleven? on 11:34 - Dec 24 by bazza

Jordan Rhodes has scored 15 for Blackpool 🫣

It would be worth it for the comedy value of seeing him attempt to lead a high press.

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

January transfer window = improving the squad or improving the first eleven? on 15:21 - Dec 24 with 1633 viewsFrimleyBlue

January transfer window = improving the squad or improving the first eleven? on 15:15 - Dec 24 by SuperKieranMcKenna

But incredibly not the worst post on the thread - take a bow Frimley for out-elephanting the old dullard….

You see all 4 of those still being first choice players going forwards?

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

January transfer window = improving the squad or improving the first eleven? on 15:24 - Dec 24 with 1628 viewspointofblue

January transfer window = improving the squad or improving the first eleven? on 15:03 - Dec 24 by cressi

Can't say that janoi only played v Accrington stanley hardly Leeds or Leicester.

He played against Sunderland, Stoke and QPR?

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

January transfer window = improving the squad or improving the first eleven? on 15:41 - Dec 24 with 1587 viewsstuyarmouthblue

If we're hoping on being in the premier league next season then we could do with recruiting players proven from there next month. Not easy to do of course, but would make next summer slightly less difficult.

A centre half is the big need. I'm a fan of Hirst but we need someone else to be able to play there.

This might mean losing one or two favourites from last season and before but needs must.
January transfer window = improving the squad or improving the first eleven? on 16:36 - Dec 24 with 1524 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

You had 2 goes but it's for. My pleasure.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Login to get fewer ads

January transfer window = improving the squad or improving the first eleven? on 16:53 - Dec 24 with 1487 viewstractorboy1978

January transfer window = improving the squad or improving the first eleven? on 14:58 - Dec 24 by jayessess

With Scarlett being recalled by Tottenham I think the calculus probably changes. Big ask to go and get two strikers in one January window.

Imagine we will be looking for an out and out centre forward and a hybrid forward that can play up top or as a 10 - Stansfield fits that bill.
January transfer window = improving the squad or improving the first eleven? on 12:40 - Dec 25 with 1274 viewsFacefacts

Some good points on this thread.
I still think JD has a part to play as he is an excellent defender.
Just seems to be finding problems in getting fit.
He was brilliant at Sunderland, putting his body on the line, apart from one poor pass which led to Morsy having to take a yellow card.
He might have played against Leeds if fully fit.
Anyway he is good for the "Backs to the Wall" matches - which may become more frequent from here onwards.

But on the evidence of Elland Road we are crying out for a stronger, fitter, quicker midfield
And bearing in mind Gamechanger will probably never be in a better position to realise the ambition to reach the Premier League
We have to play Leicester twice in a month
Kieran McKenna is definitely showing signs of frustration- can only guess it's with the pressure of trying to sustain success and seeing how difficult to sustain it when availabilities of players is becoming less predictable and players he is selecting can't sustain his style of play against teams who've only now been seriously coached to take us seriously
Having to deal with mercurial players like Brandon Williams
Losing Burgess to international duty
Sky
Kick Off times
Our club seen as a little club due to decades in the doldrums - hard to attract players
Referees - giving us less and less v Norwich and Leeds

Our 1st half of season success means we have to completely change our recruitment strategy and bring in some Premier League quality right now.. . .

How we do that when we had trouble attracting even George Hirst? (Not a Premier League player) - although he will want to prove Leicester wrong in the two games

Loans are fine until teams want them back

So I think we need to go shopping at Premier League level bearing all those points in mind:
Left Centre Back - although I would really like to see Elkan Baggott kept back from Indonesia and tried here
Another Sam Morsy who plays on the edge of the referee but is box to box
A striker to replace George Hirst in the eleven

We need "top two" as I can see Norwich (Duffy, Barnes and the ref onside) scraping in and spoiling everything. The significance of not putting them to the sword at Portman Road is potentially season-defining. That's why they celebrated as if they were about to jump on an open top bus parade.
January transfer window = improving the squad or improving the first eleven? on 08:45 - Dec 26 with 1101 viewsWickets

January transfer window = improving the squad or improving the first eleven? on 14:24 - Dec 24 by AVJones

Nonsense, there’s no evidence that is true. They’ve only started just 7 games between them, with no effect at all on results:

Donacien, 3 starts, 3 wins

Ladapo, 1 start, 1 win

Jackson, 3 starts: 1 win, 1 draw, 1 loss (Leeds, Home)

I’d agree they are not as good as those in the starting line-up. Which is why they’re not in the starting line-up!

We can assume/guess it would lead to a worse performance, but that’s not the same.

But the fact that they cant start many games must mean they fall short and maybe the games they do start have been picked out as the ones we can risk them ?
January transfer window = improving the squad or improving the first eleven? on 09:16 - Dec 26 with 1082 viewsBlueOura

January transfer window = improving the squad or improving the first eleven? on 11:12 - Dec 24 by Herbivore

I think we'll be after players who can at least push to be regular starters, that has to be the aim. I also expect there'll be an element of succession planning, our midfield duo aren't getting any younger and whilst Taylor is improving we could do with a 20 something Championship ready CM, ideally someone with a bit of physicality. One of our issues defensively is that when sides break on us, neither of the CMs really has the legs to get back and snuff out the danger and it leaves us exposed at the back. Another striker to compete with Hirst is also a must and possibly someone to put a bit more pressure on Broadhead and Chaplin as well. That's an area we could do with a bit more competition as those positions functioning is so key to how we play and if they are off it we suffer as a team. If Williams goes (which a few have suggested might happen) we need more competition in the full back areas too.

I make you spot on Sir, have an uppie!
January transfer window = improving the squad or improving the first eleven? on 10:17 - Dec 26 with 1033 viewslurcher

Morsy and Louongo will come under threat from a new first name on the team sheet CM. Burgess will also find himself challenged by a new left footed CB.
January transfer window = improving the squad or improving the first eleven? on 10:31 - Dec 26 with 1020 viewsBluespeed225

And much of this discussion comes from the fact that we are a season ahead of our predicted development. This team/squad is obviously well capable of solid Championship performance, however, we’ve gatecrashed the party and all of a sudden it’s Prem’ quality players we feel we need. That may mean upsetting a settled squad and we know what that can mean ( summer 01’ purchases anyone). So, last January we bought with an eye to promotion from League 1 into Champ, and those lads have done us proud. They dropped into the squad and the style of play, and after a month it was as if they been there since day 1. Whoever comes in has to embrace ‘the project’ and work for their place. I’m sure KM and Team will see us right!
January transfer window = improving the squad or improving the first eleven? on 13:11 - Dec 26 with 926 viewsBcarefulwhatUWish4

January transfer window = improving the squad or improving the first eleven? on 11:26 - Dec 24 by Dennyx4

I agree a Mowbray type centre half (vocal and a leader) would be a great addition.

In all honesty though if we can improve any of the starting 11 at the right price, it would be a good time to do it.

I could see Mark McKenzie fitting well into our squad. Only real hurdle is the cost.
January transfer window = improving the squad or improving the first eleven? on 16:24 - Dec 26 with 865 viewskeebsdad

GIven that KMcK brought in Championship ready players in the last January window and that the performance against Leeds (and Fulham) show that we are nowhere near being good enough for the Prem then you could make a case for him doing a lot more than just tinkering with the squad.

It will certainly be needed in the summer if we do go up.
January transfer window = improving the squad or improving the first eleven? on 16:26 - Dec 26 with 859 viewspointofblue

January transfer window = improving the squad or improving the first eleven? on 16:24 - Dec 26 by keebsdad

GIven that KMcK brought in Championship ready players in the last January window and that the performance against Leeds (and Fulham) show that we are nowhere near being good enough for the Prem then you could make a case for him doing a lot more than just tinkering with the squad.

It will certainly be needed in the summer if we do go up.

Fulham? You mean the reserve eleven who had previously beaten Wolves?

January transfer window = improving the squad or improving the first eleven? on 16:31 - Dec 26 with 831 viewskeebsdad

January transfer window = improving the squad or improving the first eleven? on 16:26 - Dec 26 by pointofblue

Fulham? You mean the reserve eleven who had previously beaten Wolves?

which part of 'you could make a case for him doing a lot more than just tinkering with the squad' was difficult to understand?
January transfer window = improving the squad or improving the first eleven? on 18:13 - Dec 26 with 757 viewsHerbivore

January transfer window = improving the squad or improving the first eleven? on 16:31 - Dec 26 by keebsdad

which part of 'you could make a case for him doing a lot more than just tinkering with the squad' was difficult to understand?

It would be mental to try and overhaul the squad in January when we're second in the Championship. Add two or three quality players, that'll do.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

January transfer window = improving the squad or improving the first eleven? on 18:25 - Dec 26 with 727 viewspointofblue

January transfer window = improving the squad or improving the first eleven? on 16:31 - Dec 26 by keebsdad

But it's the same squad that did well against mid-table Wolves. We've had a couple of blips but "a lot more than tinkering with the squad" after a couple of bad performances carries risk as well.

I think the key thing is what were Gamechanger's expectations at the start of the season and what are they now? Are they willing to go all in with promotion, or are they still happy for this to be a consolidation season, on the basis if we don't go up the Championship, in paper, should be slightly easier next time around.

January transfer window = improving the squad or improving the first eleven? on 18:29 - Dec 26 with 717 viewsVic

January transfer window = improving the squad or improving the first eleven? on 11:18 - Dec 24 by ElephantintheRoom

The. reason Town signed Hirst, Broadhead and Davis is that they were proven to be not good enough for the championship in Hirst and Broadhead’s case and Davis deemed not good enough by Leeds.

Evidence suggests so far that all three are adequate in this division… and joint top scorers in the division at Xmas suggests it would be difficult to improve that area.

The defence is the weakest in the top 6 which clearly is a problem - but that might be do with the te trendy insistence on full backs who cannot defend and the gang ho style of play.

Maybe rather than yet more signings the answer is to tighten up the defence - there are literally a dozen spare parts fighting for bench space most of whom would not be keen to move on

I kind of agree, but suspect that the coaches have assessed the current options and consider them not to be up to the task.personally I’d like to see Baggott get a run - but accept that McKenna knows more than me (and maybe even you 😉)

For that reason I reckon we could see a senior defender coming in.

I can also see the case for getting in a rival for Hirst - we don’t have an adequate replacement should he getter crocked or lose form. Would you agree?

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024