Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Is the Ipswich Town support today better than the Bobby Robson days? 22:25 - Dec 11 with 1440 viewsdunkleberrydog

Is the Ipswich Town support today better than the Bobby Robson days?

Your Vote:

You need to be logged in to vote on our site polls

Poll: Is the Ipswich Town support today better than the Bobby Robson days?

Is the Ipswich Town support today better than the Bobby Robson days? on 22:38 - Dec 11 with 1404 viewsArnoldMoorhen

Comparing an all seater stadium with terraces isn't a fair comparison.
Is the Ipswich Town support today better than the Bobby Robson days? on 22:47 - Dec 11 with 1376 viewsgosblue

We were Zombies according to Sir Bobby.
Is the Ipswich Town support today better than the Bobby Robson days? on 10:51 - Dec 12 with 1110 viewsford6600

Support at present mind boggling home and away.
In 70's usually easy to go to any match, now you have
to plan ahead for tickets. Support now includes far more
women and children, which bodes well for future. In 70's
support largely working class blokes now with seats and
tickets support mixed working/middle class imo...
Is the Ipswich Town support today better than the Bobby Robson days? on 13:48 - Dec 12 with 1025 viewsnorfsufblue

It's completely different.... there were very few games where attendance was limited by tickets available.... im mean the 38010 at the Leeds game felt like more as did many of the attendances stated around 24-30,000... the current upsurge in support is fuelled very much by a FOMO culture as tickets disappear quickly off the site... its also much much safer... but back then we were still just as proud and just as supportive of the team from about 73 onwards. Without that the support we currently enjoy would have not been created within the gene pool of the suffolk public..... well I think I know what I mean 😂😂
Is the Ipswich Town support today better than the Bobby Robson days? on 14:12 - Dec 12 with 997 viewscressi

Is the Ipswich Town support today better than the Bobby Robson days? on 13:48 - Dec 12 by norfsufblue

It's completely different.... there were very few games where attendance was limited by tickets available.... im mean the 38010 at the Leeds game felt like more as did many of the attendances stated around 24-30,000... the current upsurge in support is fuelled very much by a FOMO culture as tickets disappear quickly off the site... its also much much safer... but back then we were still just as proud and just as supportive of the team from about 73 onwards. Without that the support we currently enjoy would have not been created within the gene pool of the suffolk public..... well I think I know what I mean 😂😂

In the 70s not everyone had a car like today away trips were longer and tougher not many fast food joints not much media except local paper green un which was good for local sides. No tvs at ground a scoreboard with a couple of blokes in getting bricks thrown at it by away fans as they left. A different world up the top of the North stand a goal goes in at the bottom in a wave. Much more family oriented today and safer.
Is the Ipswich Town support today better than the Bobby Robson days? on 18:10 - Dec 12 with 878 viewsClareBlue

I was based in Yorkshire during this time and went to most games in the North and struggled to find Ipswich supporters at most matches. The away support definitely wasn't as good as it is now.
Is the Ipswich Town support today better than the Bobby Robson days? on 18:14 - Dec 12 with 858 viewsnoggin

Realistically, only those of us over 55 can vote.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Is the Ipswich Town support today better than the Bobby Robson days? on 23:01 - Dec 12 with 724 viewsford6600

Remember 31/1/81 getting into North Stand a bit too early so we LAY (too many beers) on terrace as ground........................................................................................................................
gradually filled and l thought this Town team was the best to ever grace Portman Road,as we
stood up to watch match, had no worry about the result. Our passing was fantastic the players had such confidence and telepathic teamwork from playing together, the 4-0 result
seemed inevitable...Today's squad although born in Division 1 exhibit same teamwork...the
support then was very good but now such a team via media exposure garners cult status and insane support home and away....Different eras but still great support.
Login to get fewer ads

Is the Ipswich Town support today better than the Bobby Robson days? on 08:57 - Dec 13 with 595 viewsAndrewRatcliffITFC

I went to many games as a youngster in the 70's , most away games were pretty dangerous or at least felt it when you were 14. Often chased, threatened or had scarf nicked etc. The risk kept our away support pretty poor generally. We would turn out in big numbers for Norwich away and important FA Cup games like Bristol Rovers and Millwall away in 78.
The away support these days is fantastic and would be even better if it was unlimited entry as it was in the 70's.
Is the Ipswich Town support today better than the Bobby Robson days? on 09:28 - Dec 13 with 562 viewsChurchman

Agree with a lot of the comments on here.

Personally I think it is almost impossible to compare. Not only was I growing up during the Robson years with all the changing perspectives that brings, but the world was a very different place. I also didn’t appreciate how good we were at the time.

Looking back it’s amazing what was accepted as normal. Space for the Leeds 38k game was er tight and that was on the terrace in front of the Cobbold (Portman) stand. All I saw, as a teenager, was the backs of others. Shifting for a better view wasn’t an option at that game! The first replay at Leicester wasn’t much better. The main difference was the crowd were mostly p£ssed.

Even to the early 90s stadia hadn’t improved. The first time I went to Watford was the 91/92 Whitton 1-0 game. We went in the away end and the stench was unreal. Decay, beer, bodily fluids, rubbish from the ages. We nudged our way to the corner. We might have lost 25% of the pitch but at least we could breath.

So, stadia wise: much improved. Women, children, young people, demographics: much improved. Facilities, safety: much improved. Football: we had two good teams and a brilliant one in the 70s at the top level. Do I enjoy the game more now? Probably because decrepitude means I have a better perspective. My feelings beating say Forest Green against beating Liverpool back in the day are no different. I enjoyed both just as much.

McKenna’s team? It’s not the best Ipswich team I’ve seen, but it’s the most exciting. It’s filled with promise too. We deserve it after the misery and decay of the Evans years. I’m enjoying every moment.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024