Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
A good article explaining the Gamechanger model 05:56 - Dec 7 with 4491 viewsArnoldMoorhen

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2023/dec/06/mixed-use-development-sports-teams

Put this alongside the comments from Ashton about any new stand development needing to generate 24/7 income.

And comments made by Gamechanger representatives at the time of the takeover about redeveloping the whole area.

A few posters seem to believe that the Pension Fund will sell up as soon as they can realise a quick profit. This article suggests a longer term model is now dominating US Sports. It just might be that the generally run down nature of some of the units close to FPR were precisely what attracted their interest.

A caveat: At least one of the Three Lions part of the Gamechanger coalition is currently involved in legal "complications" over a similar scheme in Rhode Island, so it is possible that that will cause Gamechanger to pivot away from the massive development model.

I think this is "Football thread" friendly, right? Even though it is just about Sports Finance?
A good article explaining the Gamechanger model on 08:22 - Dec 7 with 3298 viewsmatteoblue

It's certainly puzzling how a Pension Fund is backed by the finances of a football club, which is a high risk venture which rarely makes steady money.

We are Premier League, say we are Premier League!

A good article explaining the Gamechanger model on 08:28 - Dec 7 with 3276 viewstrncbluearmy

A good article explaining the Gamechanger model on 08:22 - Dec 7 by matteoblue

It's certainly puzzling how a Pension Fund is backed by the finances of a football club, which is a high risk venture which rarely makes steady money.

Not really

The ITFC investment is a very very small % of fund value/available cash

they would feel that if the investment is successful they will get a better return then cash on deposit

The investment in terms of risk/reward makes perfect sense
[Post edited 7 Dec 2023 8:29]
A good article explaining the Gamechanger model on 08:34 - Dec 7 with 3224 viewsbobbyramsey

Spreading the risk, you need to mix it up.
A good article explaining the Gamechanger model on 09:19 - Dec 7 with 3141 viewsmatteoblue

A good article explaining the Gamechanger model on 08:28 - Dec 7 by trncbluearmy

Not really

The ITFC investment is a very very small % of fund value/available cash

they would feel that if the investment is successful they will get a better return then cash on deposit

The investment in terms of risk/reward makes perfect sense
[Post edited 7 Dec 2023 8:29]

Thank you. Is there a breakdown of the fund asset allocation available?

A good article explaining the Gamechanger model on 09:24 - Dec 7 with 3110 viewsDanTheMan

A good article explaining the Gamechanger model on 09:19 - Dec 7 by matteoblue

https://www.psprs.com/investments--financials/investments--financials

Not a breakdown but $20bil in value and we cost (roughly) $50mil so 0.25% ish. Although we'll be worth more than when they bought us.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

A good article explaining the Gamechanger model on 09:24 - Dec 7 with 3108 viewstrncbluearmy

There will be, you will need to goto the pension funds website and dig around
A good article explaining the Gamechanger model on 09:24 - Dec 7 with 3103 viewsKeno

The pension fund involved has a value of something like $7billiom

whatever they have invested in Town is 'small change'

Poll: Where will be finish next season
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

A good article explaining the Gamechanger model on 09:27 - Dec 7 with 3087 viewssoupytwist

It's a pretty depressing read about how certain places get changed out of all recognition so some already rich people can become even richer, with what seems to be negligible benefit for the local community.

There's a link in the Guardian piece to an article about how the area of Inglewood has been changed by SoFi stadium. That's interesting too.
Login to get fewer ads

A good article explaining the Gamechanger model on 09:28 - Dec 7 with 3079 viewstrncbluearmy

A good article explaining the Gamechanger model on 09:24 - Dec 7 by Keno

The pension fund involved has a value of something like $7billiom

whatever they have invested in Town is 'small change'

Saw something like 8 billion now with 800 miilon cash
A good article explaining the Gamechanger model on 09:30 - Dec 7 with 3071 viewsDanTheMan

A good article explaining the Gamechanger model on 09:28 - Dec 7 by trncbluearmy

Saw something like 8 billion now with 800 miilon cash

https://www.psprs.com/investments--financials/asset-allocation

$19.5billion in assets overall, $1.3billion in cash.

So quite a bit!
[Post edited 7 Dec 2023 9:30]

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

A good article explaining the Gamechanger model on 09:30 - Dec 7 with 3066 viewsmatteoblue

A good article explaining the Gamechanger model on 09:24 - Dec 7 by trncbluearmy

There will be, you will need to goto the pension funds website and dig around

Thanks all for the replies

A good article explaining the Gamechanger model on 09:33 - Dec 7 with 3054 viewstrncbluearmy

A good article explaining the Gamechanger model on 09:30 - Dec 7 by DanTheMan

https://www.psprs.com/investments--financials/asset-allocation

$19.5billion in assets overall, $1.3billion in cash.

So quite a bit!
[Post edited 7 Dec 2023 9:30]

Feck me
Those figures I quoted were from when they first got involved

Puts the 2.7m they gave us for the pitch in perspective

Looking forward to seeing plans for Playford Rd suspect more Leicester then Bristol
[Post edited 7 Dec 2023 9:34]
A good article explaining the Gamechanger model on 09:35 - Dec 7 with 3044 viewsMookamoo

So is this all related to the Staples site and building a leisure complex with a pool there?

I've lost track of which bits around the ground are owned by the club and which bits are council owned
A good article explaining the Gamechanger model on 09:41 - Dec 7 with 2947 viewstrncbluearmy

A good article explaining the Gamechanger model on 09:35 - Dec 7 by Mookamoo

So is this all related to the Staples site and building a leisure complex with a pool there?

I've lost track of which bits around the ground are owned by the club and which bits are council owned

As I understand it Club owns old Staples site
Cattle Market owned by council which gamechanger and council are looking to develop jointly

Gamechager pay, some arsehole in council raises an objection!

PS
Ashton is on Life's a pitch tonight got to be worth a watch
[Post edited 7 Dec 2023 9:42]
A good article explaining the Gamechanger model on 09:58 - Dec 7 with 2845 viewsMookamoo

A good article explaining the Gamechanger model on 09:41 - Dec 7 by trncbluearmy

As I understand it Club owns old Staples site
Cattle Market owned by council which gamechanger and council are looking to develop jointly

Gamechager pay, some arsehole in council raises an objection!

PS
Ashton is on Life's a pitch tonight got to be worth a watch
[Post edited 7 Dec 2023 9:42]

Cheers. Should be interesting and given the intent shown so far, the new Cobbold Stand when it happens could be part of that.

Seems a common way of working in the states where the club/franchise require pretty hefty investment from the local authority for infrastructure projects. They do have the advantage in that the franchise can just up and leave to Vegas if the LA refuses.
A good article explaining the Gamechanger model on 10:03 - Dec 7 with 2835 viewsPhilTWTD

Not sure you can say that's a Gamechanger model, a Three Lions model is nearer the mark. The Three Lions are only a small part of the ownership and I'm not sure the club will go down quite their route, although there will obviously be some development in the years to come.
A good article explaining the Gamechanger model on 10:12 - Dec 7 with 2759 viewsKeno

A good article explaining the Gamechanger model on 10:03 - Dec 7 by PhilTWTD

Not sure you can say that's a Gamechanger model, a Three Lions model is nearer the mark. The Three Lions are only a small part of the ownership and I'm not sure the club will go down quite their route, although there will obviously be some development in the years to come.

Obviously, after the 'great fire of Playford road" the redevelopment of that complex is likely to put even the pension fund under financial strain

Poll: Where will be finish next season
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

A good article explaining the Gamechanger model on 10:18 - Dec 7 with 2739 viewssuffolkpoker

Cash flow wise it we will loose money year on year. Inflation and improvements over the years will make the intial investment and losses look small fry.

You only have to look at the other football clubs who are owned by simailir people Phoenix rising and a Danish football (cant remember there name). They have either moved the stadium (wont happen here) or devoloped around the stadium.
They have made various businesses around the stadium ie hotel, sports centre and retail parks which bring in revenue 247.

Poll: Should Hewitt play for the Gulls in the 2nd round of the FA Cup

A good article explaining the Gamechanger model on 10:25 - Dec 7 with 2682 viewstrncbluearmy

A good article explaining the Gamechanger model on 10:03 - Dec 7 by PhilTWTD

Yeah the setup is really interesting

Got the three lions who own a few shares and put the deal together
Then the investment advisers
who advise the Trustees of the pension fund.

I sense the Trustees who have the final say in this want to develop more then a football club but also the local area which becomes aa asset of the pension fund increasing capital value and providing income to the fund, they see it as very long term.

IBC have access to capital to develop the local area around FPR. They better not fec it up.
A good article explaining the Gamechanger model on 10:34 - Dec 7 with 2629 viewsPhilTWTD

A good article explaining the Gamechanger model on 10:25 - Dec 7 by trncbluearmy

I sense the Trustees who have the final say in this want to develop more then a football club but also the local area which becomes aa asset of the pension fund increasing capital value and providing income to the fund, they see it as very long term.

IBC have access to capital to develop the local area around FPR. They better not fec it up.

Indeed, the role of the Three Lions was to put together the pension fund and Mark Ashton and Mike O'Leary. They're not the power-brokers. I think the prominence they were given in the early stages gave a false impression of their role.
A good article explaining the Gamechanger model on 10:45 - Dec 7 with 2552 viewsMookamoo

A good article explaining the Gamechanger model on 10:25 - Dec 7 by trncbluearmy

Do IBC have access to capital, or as a council, do they have access to cheaper long term government backed finance, which ordinarily isn't available to investment funds?
A good article explaining the Gamechanger model on 10:57 - Dec 7 with 2467 viewstrncbluearmy

A good article explaining the Gamechanger model on 10:45 - Dec 7 by Mookamoo

Do IBC have access to capital, or as a council, do they have access to cheaper long term government backed finance, which ordinarily isn't available to investment funds?

As is always the case not completely straightforward

Gamechanger represented by Ashton and his gang sit down with council

Council want to do this
Gamechanger want to do that
Meet somewhere in the middle (hopefully)

Funding will come from different sources but lets assume Gamechanger provide 75% then they have an 75% share of investment

IBC have an additional funding source not available to any other council.
Its a massive opportunity to regenerate the area around FPR
A good article explaining the Gamechanger model on 11:05 - Dec 7 with 2429 viewsjasondozzell

A good article explaining the Gamechanger model on 10:57 - Dec 7 by trncbluearmy

As is always the case not completely straightforward

Gamechanger represented by Ashton and his gang sit down with council

Council want to do this
Gamechanger want to do that
Meet somewhere in the middle (hopefully)

Funding will come from different sources but lets assume Gamechanger provide 75% then they have an 75% share of investment

IBC have an additional funding source not available to any other council.
Its a massive opportunity to regenerate the area around FPR

The big question from all of this: how much could the club's continued development benefit Ipswich as a town? Do you think this has the potential to help to give the town a boost? Ipswich has so much going for it but just seems to lack investment.

Hopefully any Gamechanger development is sympathetic to the history, heritage of the area and can create a positive impact in terms of infrastructure, environment, transport etc. You would hope they will look beyond just simply sports/leisure facilities to bring in more money. I hope the council really push them to invest in Ipswich as a place.

Could this be a shot in the arm for the town? I like the way Ashton talks about being proud of being a town centre club and how he's keen to keep supporting local pubs/businesses etc.
[Post edited 7 Dec 2023 11:06]
A good article explaining the Gamechanger model on 11:16 - Dec 7 with 2355 viewsMookamoo

A good article explaining the Gamechanger model on 11:05 - Dec 7 by jasondozzell

The big question from all of this: how much could the club's continued development benefit Ipswich as a town? Do you think this has the potential to help to give the town a boost? Ipswich has so much going for it but just seems to lack investment.

Hopefully any Gamechanger development is sympathetic to the history, heritage of the area and can create a positive impact in terms of infrastructure, environment, transport etc. You would hope they will look beyond just simply sports/leisure facilities to bring in more money. I hope the council really push them to invest in Ipswich as a place.

Could this be a shot in the arm for the town? I like the way Ashton talks about being proud of being a town centre club and how he's keen to keep supporting local pubs/businesses etc.
[Post edited 7 Dec 2023 11:06]

This must a good opportunity for the council to develop infrastructure projects which they need that will benefit the town as a whole.

I can see them adding a load of EV charging/parking which would be available to town centre workers during the week. Same with adequate bike storage for commuters which is a problem at the rail station. Good meeting conference facilities within a walk of the station would surely be a boost. Twice this year I had to brave Carrow Rd for meetings that involved a Norfolk and Suffolk team.
A good article explaining the Gamechanger model on 11:20 - Dec 7 with 2331 viewsGuthrum

A good article explaining the Gamechanger model on 10:45 - Dec 7 by Mookamoo

It's not just capital. If the Council is fully behind (and involved in) a development scheme, it stands a better chance of getting through planning and other red tape smoothly.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024