Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ipswich Town quiz 🔵⚪ 14:52 - Nov 26 with 1315 viewsMiaow

1961-62 Title-Winning Team

Just a case of trying to name the core 11 members of the team that did the unthinkable and won the League championship at the first attempt.

Surnames are sufficient, and there are three minutes to try and get them all.

This will surely be more difficult for most than the '78 and '81 quizzes, but there will be a few names that should be guessed by a fair number of takers.

All but one of the 11 players made between 49 and 52 appearances each (in all competitions) during the 61-62 campaign, with the other playing 44 times. Six others turned out for the first team that season, registering 24 appearances between them.

https://www.jetpunk.com/user-quizzes/1696326/ipswich-town-1962-title-winning-tea

Again, thank you for taking the time to have a look.

🏆

⋆⋆⋆ My Ipswich Town quizzes: https://www.jetpunk.com/series/1696326/hinckfords-ipswich-town-quizzes ⋆⋆⋆
Poll: Which of this season’s (outfield) shirts do you most prefer?

Ipswich Town quiz 🔵⚪ on 14:59 - Nov 26 with 1278 viewsNthQldITFC

First taker and I got a truly embarrassing and pathetic 4.

I'm not really sure how I got one of those either. Of course I recognise most of the names now I've seen the answers, but I'm ashamed to say I know virtually nothing of ITFC before I was born.

Will do some reading and hang my head in shame.

I knew the keeper and the two strikers and somehow guessed what must be one of the more obscure defenders.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Ipswich Town quiz 🔵⚪ on 17:03 - Nov 26 with 1202 viewsParisBlue

11/11, 1 of then almost escaped me.

I've always thought that team should be celebrated more than it has been. Without them its unlikely many of us would be following itfc today.

Libraries gave us power
Poll: Which position in the table will we be after Saturday?

Ipswich Town quiz 🔵⚪ on 18:05 - Nov 26 with 1157 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Ipswich Town quiz 🔵⚪ on 14:59 - Nov 26 by NthQldITFC

First taker and I got a truly embarrassing and pathetic 4.

I'm not really sure how I got one of those either. Of course I recognise most of the names now I've seen the answers, but I'm ashamed to say I know virtually nothing of ITFC before I was born.

Will do some reading and hang my head in shame.

I knew the keeper and the two strikers and somehow guessed what must be one of the more obscure defenders.

I got the same remembering the two forwards and another midfielder and then getting the captain from the recesses of my mind. Feel ashamed not to have remembered more, similar to you they are familiar but not instantly memorable.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Ipswich Town quiz 🔵⚪ on 13:47 - Nov 27 with 983 viewsMiaow

Ipswich Town quiz 🔵⚪ on 17:03 - Nov 26 by ParisBlue

11/11, 1 of then almost escaped me.

I've always thought that team should be celebrated more than it has been. Without them its unlikely many of us would be following itfc today.

I agree. Our history makes me so proud to be an Ipswich fan, and that team did something that will probably never be replicated.

A number of people around the country will be aware that Alf Ramsey was at Ipswich before taking the England job, but the fact we remain the only team to win the League in our first season in the top flight (excluding Preston in 1889...) isn’t talked about as much as it should be. Going from the Third Division South to champions of England in five years, having only spent a few seasons above the third tier since joining the Football league, will always be one of the greatest stories in English football. From seeing one or two comments online, there are some people who know about the Robson era, what we won and how close we came to the title but who are unaware that we actually did win it in the early ‘60s.

It was good that the SAR Stand was renamed as such to mark the fiftieth anniversary of our title win in 2012. I think I’ve been in that stand once since then, and that was for the screening of the Bobby Robson film - are there many images around the concourse area of Ramsey’s time at the club and of that 61/62 season? I know that the SBR Stand has those large pictures from his time as manager running along the back, but I’m not sure about the other end of the ground. It would be a good way to further recognise and highlight those achievements.

Also, this was quite a good picture that I saw recently which I don’t think I’d come across before - the team boarding their flight to Malta for our first-ever match in Europe (the 4-1 win over Floriana before the 10-0 at PR in the second leg):

⋆⋆⋆ My Ipswich Town quizzes: https://www.jetpunk.com/series/1696326/hinckfords-ipswich-town-quizzes ⋆⋆⋆

Ipswich Town quiz 🔵⚪ on 22:25 - Nov 27 with 894 viewsMiaow

Ipswich Town quiz 🔵⚪ on 18:05 - Nov 26 by Nthsuffolkblue

I got the same remembering the two forwards and another midfielder and then getting the captain from the recesses of my mind. Feel ashamed not to have remembered more, similar to you they are familiar but not instantly memorable.

At present, only two players have been guessed less than the captain. The couple at the bottom are probably where I would have expected them to be as they are slightly more obscure names.

This is a great picture:

Ipswich Town quiz 🔵⚪ on 10:00 - Nov 28 with 832 viewssolemio

1m 01sec.

If I can't get to sleep I go through this team, the Cup Final Team and the 80-81 team.
Ipswich Town quiz 🔵⚪ on 10:20 - Nov 28 with 814 viewsMeadowlark

I got 7 very quickly, then no more.
Should have done a bit better, but those of us who can (nearly) remember, have trouble remembering anything...
Ipswich Town quiz 🔵⚪ on 12:43 - Nov 28 with 778 viewsPJH

I hope the day never comes that I cannot name those eleven names as a reflex action to mention of 1961/62.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024