Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Jailed for a chant (Edit: Well, suspended sentence) 16:15 - Nov 17 with 3914 viewswkj

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-67444742

And rightly so.

Makes you stop and think how flimsy the "just banter" defence is
[Post edited 17 Nov 2023 16:17]

Premier Poster. Too good to be elite.
Poll: Who do you want to see join us IN THE PREMIER LEAGUE
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Jailed for a chant (Edit: Well, suspended sentence) on 14:11 - Nov 18 with 423 viewsClareBlue

This sentence really does offend public decency
Jailed for a chant (Edit: Well, suspended sentence) on 15:01 - Nov 18 with 380 viewsMullet

Jailed for a chant (Edit: Well, suspended sentence) on 11:32 - Nov 18 by BlueDouglas

People want to see this guy face some consequences for what he did and rightly so, but that doesn't always mean the police need to be involved - he's lost his job, then lost his next job, his friends and film have turned their backs on him, no doubt he regrets what he did. Police / courts exist when there's no other way to bring someone to justice, not to control every aspect of our lives!

I think this was meant to be a reply to me again, if not apologies.

He hasn't shown anything like regret has he? Regardless, that's a consideration in sentencing not in guilt so I don't understand your reasoning. He wasn't dragged out of his bed in the middle of the night and beaten, surveilled for months on end etc.

As with the outrage at the sentencing of the young man added to the thread, feeling that sentencing is lax isn't what you're intimating either. Social exclusion aren't punishments they're consequences, if those things hurt him that doesn't negate the need for criminal justice either.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Jailed for a chant (Edit: Well, suspended sentence) on 18:38 - Nov 18 with 319 viewsBlueDouglas

Jailed for a chant (Edit: Well, suspended sentence) on 15:01 - Nov 18 by Mullet

I think this was meant to be a reply to me again, if not apologies.

He hasn't shown anything like regret has he? Regardless, that's a consideration in sentencing not in guilt so I don't understand your reasoning. He wasn't dragged out of his bed in the middle of the night and beaten, surveilled for months on end etc.

As with the outrage at the sentencing of the young man added to the thread, feeling that sentencing is lax isn't what you're intimating either. Social exclusion aren't punishments they're consequences, if those things hurt him that doesn't negate the need for criminal justice either.

Hi, my reply wasn't at anyone really but I do think I understand where you're coming from.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that it's seemed to me that over the last 20yrs or so in the uk we've seen over-criminalisation, and this feels like an example of that.

It's not that punishments are too severe, or not enough, it's over-reach of the legal system I'm worried about. I just think that laws need to find a balance between protecting people, and individual freedom.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024