Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
McKenna or Rooney 11:25 - Nov 5 with 3142 viewswoodbridge_blue

I'm well aware that markets for next manager are extremely volatile and not usually based on much more than rumour and guesswork, but couldn't help but be a bit surprised to see McKenna and Rooney bracketed together at 20/1 to be next Manchester United manager.

Presumably Rooney's position alongside KMc is almost entirely sue to his previous time at United as a player and nothing at all to do with his managerial prowess.

Zidane still favourite at 7/2 followed by Graham Potter at 4/1.
McKenna or Rooney on 11:28 - Nov 5 with 3103 viewstonybied

I imagine it's got more to do with the amount of money that's been put down on either name to be honest.
McKenna or Rooney on 11:32 - Nov 5 with 3083 viewsKeno

McKenna or Rooney on 11:28 - Nov 5 by tonybied

I imagine it's got more to do with the amount of money that's been put down on either name to be honest.

Frimmers at 5 to 2, or is that half 3?

Poll: Where will be finish next season
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

McKenna or Rooney on 11:42 - Nov 5 with 3045 viewsWestSussexBlue

Potter! Did superb at Brighton then seemed out of his depth at Chelsea, would United really be looking at him. I think McKenna would jump at the chance but he’s a very wise head and I’m sure knows that his time will come. I’d be delighted if was with us for another Two full seasons before he moved to undoubtably another big project.
McKenna or Rooney on 11:47 - Nov 5 with 3016 viewsKeno

McKenna or Rooney on 11:42 - Nov 5 by WestSussexBlue

Potter! Did superb at Brighton then seemed out of his depth at Chelsea, would United really be looking at him. I think McKenna would jump at the chance but he’s a very wise head and I’m sure knows that his time will come. I’d be delighted if was with us for another Two full seasons before he moved to undoubtably another big project.

one rumour I had hear is Man U are looking at Zerbi from Brighton

that one worries me a little

McKenna or Rooney on 12:05 - Nov 5 with 2958 viewsmarchy

McKenna or Rooney on 11:42 - Nov 5 by WestSussexBlue

This is confusing me (not you specifically, but the whole babble about United). McK *is* a very wise head, and isn't that exactly why he *wouldn't* jump at the chance? He's probably got 30 years ahead of him in management, and is currently learning and developing his craft in a position where his incredible achievements so far will have built him enough credit in the bank that he'll be trusted to do that. Meanwhile, up in Manchester, a manager with a proven track record in European football has been in his role even less time than McK, has an even higher win rate than McK, has won silverware, and yet has fans restless and is on point of the sack. Why would a wise head like the look of that any time soon?
McKenna or Rooney on 12:18 - Nov 5 with 2894 viewsblueislander

McKenna or Rooney on 12:05 - Nov 5 by marchy

This is confusing me (not you specifically, but the whole babble about United). McK *is* a very wise head, and isn't that exactly why he *wouldn't* jump at the chance? He's probably got 30 years ahead of him in management, and is currently learning and developing his craft in a position where his incredible achievements so far will have built him enough credit in the bank that he'll be trusted to do that. Meanwhile, up in Manchester, a manager with a proven track record in European football has been in his role even less time than McK, has an even higher win rate than McK, has won silverware, and yet has fans restless and is on point of the sack. Why would a wise head like the look of that any time soon?

MONEY!!
McKenna or Rooney on 12:19 - Nov 5 with 2889 viewsmarchy

McKenna or Rooney on 12:18 - Nov 5 by blueislander

MONEY!!

Again: wise head. Potential 30-year managing career ahead of him. We reckon he'd derail the whole thing a la Potter for a year on big money do we?
[Post edited 5 Nov 2023 12:21]
McKenna or Rooney on 12:38 - Nov 5 with 2814 viewsChampionsofInnsbruck

I think Manchester United are the only real threat to us losing him at the moment, he loves that club and that’s a big factor. An Irish Red through and through. As for Crystal Palace and the like he’s linked to, I’d say they wouldn’t have a chance.
Login to get fewer ads

McKenna or Rooney on 12:45 - Nov 5 with 2786 viewsNthsuffolkblue

If Man Utd seriously came calling he would go. It such a step up and the money involved would be a massive difference. He would then be able to get jobs at that level off the back of it too. There would be little expectation for any manager to do better there than those who have followed Ferguson really. Why should there be?

However, there is no way they call for McKenna or Rooney. They will go for someone with Champions League managerial experience or at least of European competitions.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

McKenna or Rooney on 13:01 - Nov 5 with 2730 viewsmarchy

McKenna or Rooney on 12:45 - Nov 5 by Nthsuffolkblue

If Man Utd seriously came calling he would go. It such a step up and the money involved would be a massive difference. He would then be able to get jobs at that level off the back of it too. There would be little expectation for any manager to do better there than those who have followed Ferguson really. Why should there be?

However, there is no way they call for McKenna or Rooney. They will go for someone with Champions League managerial experience or at least of European competitions.

"There would be little expectation for any manager to do better there than those who have followed Ferguson really. Why should there be?"

There shouldn't be, but there just is isn't there? That's just what happens, or at least it is at the moment. Ten Hag's won 49/78 games and the first silverware United have won in several years, and yet because they can't keep up with oil clubs, the natives are restless and he's almost out after 18 months. Same at Chelsea, which is why I mentioned Potter, and same thing with Lampard to a lesser degree. A manager's career is a lot longer than a player's career, it makes far less sense to grab a year's worth of payday and tank your reputation, particularly for a cub manager. McK's smart enough to know that he'll almost certainly get one of the big jobs one day, but it doesn't have to be in the next five minutes.
McKenna or Rooney on 13:20 - Nov 5 with 2679 viewsJ2BLUE

I'm surprised Rooney isn't a shorter price. I would say he's more likely than McKenna to be their next manager, as crazy as that is to any logical person. Sometimes it takes a name to appease the fans and allows them that collective he's one of our own, he won't accept anything less than 100% delusion.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

McKenna or Rooney on 13:25 - Nov 5 with 2646 viewsWestSussexBlue

McKenna or Rooney on 11:47 - Nov 5 by Keno

one rumour I had hear is Man U are looking at Zerbi from Brighton

that one worries me a little

Agree, I’m sure Brighton would certainly make contact with Ashton.,
McKenna or Rooney on 13:47 - Nov 5 with 2586 viewsKeno

McKenna or Rooney on 13:25 - Nov 5 by WestSussexBlue

Agree, I’m sure Brighton would certainly make contact with Ashton.,

might be a tough call to fend off as well

McKenna or Rooney on 15:01 - Nov 5 with 2465 viewsNthsuffolkblue

McKenna or Rooney on 13:01 - Nov 5 by marchy

"There would be little expectation for any manager to do better there than those who have followed Ferguson really. Why should there be?"

There shouldn't be, but there just is isn't there? That's just what happens, or at least it is at the moment. Ten Hag's won 49/78 games and the first silverware United have won in several years, and yet because they can't keep up with oil clubs, the natives are restless and he's almost out after 18 months. Same at Chelsea, which is why I mentioned Potter, and same thing with Lampard to a lesser degree. A manager's career is a lot longer than a player's career, it makes far less sense to grab a year's worth of payday and tank your reputation, particularly for a cub manager. McK's smart enough to know that he'll almost certainly get one of the big jobs one day, but it doesn't have to be in the next five minutes.

Of course there is expectation from the club. I mean there isn't from the outside. Whoever manages them will never live up to the club's expectations but won't damage their reputation with other clubs. Almost a perfect combination - a well-paid contract with a virtually-guaranteed early pay-off and no damage to the reputation (unless they actually got them relegated ... which would just be funny).

McKenna or Rooney on 15:16 - Nov 5 with 2387 viewsOldFart71

Both are rookie managers, can't see Utd or any ot the top teams taking either as their manager. It was some time before Bobby Robson was recognised as being good enough to be Englands manager as he'd taken a team that was nearly relegated to European glory. McKenna whilst what he has achieved in a short space of time is amazing he has after all had great backing from Gamechanger 20 and apart from a few targets which didn't materialise before this season started he has had who he wants. Many of Town's previous managers apart from the first three under Marcus Evans were starved of funds. McKenna still has a fair way to go and currently I can only see clubs who are struggling in the Premier League who dispense with their manager being intersted in Kieran and to me that's a backward step that could curtail a promising career.
McKenna or Rooney on 15:20 - Nov 5 with 2362 viewsFrimleyBlue

McKenna or Rooney on 13:47 - Nov 5 by Keno

might be a tough call to fend off as well

Would it be?

Win 13 games & Draw 11 and we are in the same league as them. With the best support a manager can have.

Settled family etc.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

McKenna or Rooney on 15:25 - Nov 5 with 2340 viewsNthsuffolkblue

McKenna or Rooney on 15:20 - Nov 5 by FrimleyBlue

Would it be?

Win 13 games & Draw 11 and we are in the same league as them. With the best support a manager can have.

Settled family etc.

It's very plausible he would turn down an approach from them but it would also be understandable that he might be interested by it. It is about the only sort of combination of:

they might look at McKenna
might be interested.

I would hope he would stay but worry that it was possible he might not.

McKenna or Rooney on 15:31 - Nov 5 with 2318 viewsmarchy

McKenna or Rooney on 15:01 - Nov 5 by Nthsuffolkblue

Of course there is expectation from the club. I mean there isn't from the outside. Whoever manages them will never live up to the club's expectations but won't damage their reputation with other clubs. Almost a perfect combination - a well-paid contract with a virtually-guaranteed early pay-off and no damage to the reputation (unless they actually got them relegated ... which would just be funny).

I'd say there's not a great deal of evidence that it helps a manager's career trajectory to jump into the ejector seat of a big club in turbulence. Where's Solskjaer managing now? Where's Potter? Where's Lampard? Until a club like United is out of its chaos and understands its place in the modern game, McK would do far better in a role like Brighton's - but who's to say that's not exactly where we could be in a couple of years?
McKenna or Rooney on 15:37 - Nov 5 with 2282 viewsBigCommon

With Glazers in charge, it will be a "name", to paper over cracks....
Id be more worried if they got bought out and new owners decided it was time to start a brand new, long term project...
McKenna or Rooney on 15:38 - Nov 5 with 2275 viewsNthsuffolkblue

McKenna or Rooney on 15:31 - Nov 5 by marchy

I'd say there's not a great deal of evidence that it helps a manager's career trajectory to jump into the ejector seat of a big club in turbulence. Where's Solskjaer managing now? Where's Potter? Where's Lampard? Until a club like United is out of its chaos and understands its place in the modern game, McK would do far better in a role like Brighton's - but who's to say that's not exactly where we could be in a couple of years?

Solskjaer was at Cardiff and Molde before. Where would he be now without the spell there?

Rangnick is now at Austria. Would he have been anywhere better than that without the spell and pay-off?

Carrick got Middlesbrough off the back of it and had nothing before it.

Mourinho has continued to get jobs at the same level.

Giggs had nothing before and got Wales off the back of it.

Moyes has remained at the same level as his Everton job before it.

So the only example would be Solskjaer. Potter is being touted for Man Utd off the back of failing at Chelsea. Hardly a backward step! Where is Lampard now? Where was he before?

McKenna or Rooney on 16:46 - Nov 5 with 2136 viewsWestSussexBlue

Being a wise head on young shoulders is exactly why KMc I think will give United a wide berth currently. In 3-5 years time however I expect they could be a very different proposition.
McKenna or Rooney on 17:04 - Nov 5 with 2073 viewsKeno

McKenna or Rooney on 15:20 - Nov 5 by FrimleyBlue

Would it be?

Settled family etc.

Brighton are established premier league club, settled structure good back room set up, albeit their fans have a phobia of banners and some of them are rights dicks

McKenna or Rooney on 17:46 - Nov 5 with 1992 viewsmikeybloo88

McKenna isn’t going anywhere near Man U until the dust has settled with the Ineos buy in, how that affects the football side of things and their stadium is sorted, all in my opinion....and that will be 3-4 years. United have another manager in them before Kmac. No way they take on someone who hasn’t had some experience of managing successfully in the PL or one of the top European leagues/CL. A few years showing he can hack it in the PL with us and he’s a top target, if he doesn’t get us up in a few years then he is less attractive for the big boys for sure and more likely to go to a Palace or Brentford (as I think Franks will get a big move at some point)
McKenna or Rooney on 21:17 - Nov 5 with 1795 viewspeterleeblue

McKenna or Rooney on 17:46 - Nov 5 by mikeybloo88

McKenna isn’t going anywhere near Man U until the dust has settled with the Ineos buy in, how that affects the football side of things and their stadium is sorted, all in my opinion....and that will be 3-4 years. United have another manager in them before Kmac. No way they take on someone who hasn’t had some experience of managing successfully in the PL or one of the top European leagues/CL. A few years showing he can hack it in the PL with us and he’s a top target, if he doesn’t get us up in a few years then he is less attractive for the big boys for sure and more likely to go to a Palace or Brentford (as I think Franks will get a big move at some point)

You do get the impression that McKenna is the next but one Utd Manager.
Almost Ferguson esque trajectory should he get us up and get us some silverware.
McKenna or Rooney on 05:31 - Nov 6 with 1640 viewsHong_Kong_Bluey

meant to uppie you. apologies
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024