Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
How many pints a week? 01:12 - Oct 24 with 4147 viewswkj

I have never really been a great fan of having cereal in the morning and generally make my oatmeal with water. However, I am a milk with tea and coffee kind person and tend to take on 3 pts a week just by myself.

Recently I discovered that for all the amenities my village lacks, it does have a milk man and they do deliver non-homogenised milk. So I have set up a 1pt delivery every tue, thur and sat - but am now curious if that is too much milk for one person or just about right.

The time is currently 1am and I am sober, so you can see just how badly this conundrum is impacting my life. All I want is to not disappoint Pat Mustard when he comes a knocking, but now I am frightened he will judge me if I don't have my glass empties ready for him.

Many thanks

WKJ - SNP Candidate for Norwich North
[Post edited 24 Oct 2023 1:13]

Premier Poster. Too good to be elite.
Poll: Who do you want to see join us IN THE PREMIER LEAGUE
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

How many pints a week? on 13:08 - Oct 24 with 856 viewsDJR

How many pints a week? on 12:54 - Oct 24 by Herbivore

I get what you were responding to, but I just don't think it's an argument that holds. I don't see how a lion as an obligate carnivore living in the wild hunting a gazelle is remotely comparable to how humans farm and consume meat.

Veganism is growing but is still quite fringe. I think that will always be the case as people like meat and are happy to turn a blind eye to the bad sides of the meat and dairy industry (of which there are many). More people are eating less meat I think but still not in sufficient numbers or to a sufficient extent to make much of an impact on the environmental damage done by the meat and dairy industries.

I suppose the interesting thing is that the reasons for veganism/vegetarianism appear to have shifted over the last thirty or so years.

Back then, I think concern for animals was the primary motive (and that was certainly true in the case of the two friends I knew, one a vegan and one a vegetarian), whereas these days I sense climate change is playing an increasing part.

And back in the 1980s it was pretty difficult to get vegetarian food, the ironically named Cranks, near Trafalgar Square, being a fairly rare example.
[Post edited 24 Oct 2023 13:14]
How many pints a week? on 14:33 - Oct 24 with 816 viewswkj

How many pints a week? on 09:29 - Oct 24 by Zapers

I’m not sure why you are telling everyone about how much milk you drink a week!

Because I am WKJ and generally pretty great. My musings are rare but enriching. Whilst some people may have to suffer through life having their world of warcraft assets and prized possessions stolen by hackers - I get to debate salted caramel and the nostalgia of milk.

It's a great trade off.
[Post edited 24 Oct 2023 14:37]

How many pints a week? on 15:05 - Oct 24 with 796 viewsWeWereZombies

How many pints a week? on 13:08 - Oct 24 by DJR

I suppose the interesting thing is that the reasons for veganism/vegetarianism appear to have shifted over the last thirty or so years.

Back then, I think concern for animals was the primary motive (and that was certainly true in the case of the two friends I knew, one a vegan and one a vegetarian), whereas these days I sense climate change is playing an increasing part.

And back in the 1980s it was pretty difficult to get vegetarian food, the ironically named Cranks, near Trafalgar Square, being a fairly rare example.
[Post edited 24 Oct 2023 13:14]

Ahem

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ipsoc/8876841391

'Marno's, St Nicholas Street, Ipswich, 1969 (ironically next door to the Dolphin Café in 1969), for many years the only vegetarian restaurant for miles'

I don't know why ironically next door to the Dolphin Café, as far as I know they didn't serve dolphin...or dolphins...but I expect they wouldn't say no to five squid if it included the tip...

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

How many pints a week? on 16:45 - Oct 24 with 752 viewsDJR

How many pints a week? on 15:05 - Oct 24 by WeWereZombies

Ahem

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ipsoc/8876841391

'Marno's, St Nicholas Street, Ipswich, 1969 (ironically next door to the Dolphin Café in 1969), for many years the only vegetarian restaurant for miles'

I don't know why ironically next door to the Dolphin Café, as far as I know they didn't serve dolphin...or dolphins...but I expect they wouldn't say no to five squid if it included the tip...

I suppose there would have been a bit of a boost to vegetarianism in the 1960s with the hippie movement, but even in the 1960s, according to Wikipedia, there were only 16 vegetarian restaurants in London and 18 in the rest of the country. That makes the one in Ipswich pretty unusual.

The fact is that for much of its existence those who were vegetarians would have been regarded as weirdos, as the following from extract from an article in Time suggests. And by the time of the materialistic 1980s, calling yourself a vegetarian would probably have given rise to the same sort of contempt as the Greenham Common women received: don't forget all those insults about sandal-wearing, muesli-eating Guardian readers. Indeed, by the 1980s, I would imagine there were fewer vegetarian restaurants in the UK than in the 1960s, if my experience of London were anything to go by.

"As Rags magazine reported in 1971: “To many Americans, vegetarianism represents another weirdo protest of the head generation against mom-and-apple-pie-ism.” But something was different in the ’60s and ’70s: being a weirdo wasn’t so bad anymore. In the era of entertainment media and television, granola-loving hippies were news. They grabbed attention and became a group celebrity. But when the ’70s waned into the ’80s, and consumers tuned their TVs to shows such as Dallas and Dynasty, depicting upscale lifestyles, hippie values lost out to materialism. Whatever symbolized power and strength was good and desirable, whether it was steaks or Patek Philippe watches."

These days being a vegan/vegetarian is much more acceptable and, dare I say, a bit trendy. But I do feel there are certain paradoxes. Take, for example, the subject of this thread, milk. If you visit supermarkets these days there are shelves and shelves containing alternatives to milk. They have presumably come about because of a backlash against milk for health and environmental reasons, but the artificial nature of them (as with many vegetarian products) makes me question quite how healthy they are. And when it comes to their environmental nature, any supposed good appears to me to be completely negated by the fact that they come in Tetra packs. Much better in my view to make oat milk out of fresh oats, if you do want an alternative to milk.
[Post edited 24 Oct 2023 22:35]
How many pints a week? on 17:48 - Oct 24 with 720 viewsfactual_blue

How many pints a week? on 12:28 - Oct 24 by WeWereZombies

Ok, I'll take the bait. Are we talking human years or Galápagos giant tortoise years ?

Yes. Almost certainly.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

How many pints a week? on 18:42 - Oct 24 with 686 viewswkj

Updated: It was delivered at 3am and I didn't even hear them. Milk delivered in a glass bottle with the cream making a seal at the top - it's like I've gone back in time (and I love it).

Meanwhile I have enjoyed 1 cup of coffee (this is where the cream was used) and then 2 cups of tea - and it has been quite orgasmic. I might even push the boat out later and make a cheeky Horlicks before sleepy go night night time.

How many pints a week? on 18:49 - Oct 24 with 680 viewsmutters

How many pints a week? on 12:43 - Oct 24 by Herbivore

We have essentially removed ourselves from the animal kingdom though so not sure that argument holds. Other animals don't farm stuff. There are lots of vegans nowadays - though not enough to save the planet - and buying non-leather shoes and clothes is not difficult.

Some species of ants farm aphids. Absolutely amazing when you look into it and how they operate

Poll: At what price would you sell our 32 year old Leading Scorer Murphy this summer?

How many pints a week? on 22:17 - Oct 24 with 633 viewseireblue

How many pints a week? on 12:35 - Oct 24 by DJR

That's fair enough, but in my view the only people who can truly take the high moral ground on this are those who are completely vegan, and I am not sure there are that many of them in the country, involving as it does no animal products at all including, say, leather shoes.

And, from my own point of view, I would look to the animal kingdom as a whole where killing for food is commonplace.
[Post edited 24 Oct 2023 12:43]

Login to get fewer ads

How many pints a week? on 22:22 - Oct 24 with 611 viewseireblue

About a litre of oat-milk a week is normal for me.

The local milk man apparently delivers things like oat-milk as well.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024