Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Rugby World Cup Predictions 08:14 - Oct 19 with 1097 viewsChrisd

I’ve really enjoyed watching this tournament and now we are at the business end was interested to see your predictions for the semi finals this weekend. Logically, it looks like two comfortable victories for South Africa and NZ.

England 12 - 42 SA
NZ 37 - 10 Argentina

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Rugby World Cup Predictions on 08:17 - Oct 19 with 1082 viewsHerbivore

Think the quarters were all far closer to 50/50 matches than the semis, hard to see past SA and NZ winning and both will probably win by a decent margin.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Rugby World Cup Predictions on 08:29 - Oct 19 with 1055 viewsDarth_Koont

Rugby World Cup Predictions on 08:17 - Oct 19 by Herbivore

Think the quarters were all far closer to 50/50 matches than the semis, hard to see past SA and NZ winning and both will probably win by a decent margin.

Agreed.

I would have like to see Argentina get lucky and maybe get past NZ probably with the benefit of some yellow cards. But a likely final against SA would be too one-sided.

So for the sake of the final and by dint of being the best teams too it’s probably better for SA and NZ to go through. Any team that has come through that side of the draw will be a worthy winner.

Pronouns: He/Him

Rugby World Cup Predictions on 08:32 - Oct 19 with 1049 views_clive_baker_

Looks about right, although a 30 point defeat for England feels a touch pessimistic for me. I’d say 15-20. 2 of those 1/4’s should’ve been the semis really, but I’m still looking forward to this weekends games and you never know. Might just take a bit of ill discipline or a bounce of the ball to make things interesting somewhere.
Rugby World Cup Predictions on 08:50 - Oct 19 with 1011 viewsChrisd

Rugby World Cup Predictions on 08:32 - Oct 19 by _clive_baker_

Looks about right, although a 30 point defeat for England feels a touch pessimistic for me. I’d say 15-20. 2 of those 1/4’s should’ve been the semis really, but I’m still looking forward to this weekends games and you never know. Might just take a bit of ill discipline or a bounce of the ball to make things interesting somewhere.

I look at how we’ve been playing and how SA played against France, they are levels above us for me. We are so predictable too. Naturally, I hope I’m wrong, but I just can’t see us laying a glove on them.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Rugby World Cup Predictions on 09:15 - Oct 19 with 978 views_clive_baker_

Rugby World Cup Predictions on 08:50 - Oct 19 by Chrisd

I look at how we’ve been playing and how SA played against France, they are levels above us for me. We are so predictable too. Naturally, I hope I’m wrong, but I just can’t see us laying a glove on them.

They're definitely favourites, and as you say they and Ire, Fra and NZ are just at that level above where we're at right now. I'm just not sure they're capable of a 30 point win against us, but we'll see. It was <15 points when we met them in the Autumn internationals last year. I think some England supporters are a bit OTT with the criticism of where we're at right now, we've still got some bl00dy good players and do seem to have a bit of a siege mentality and we've got good experience to manage the game and scoreboard. Shouldn't be enough to progress, but I would say at -15 it becomes a coin toss.

Big game for Steward at fullback against the SA high ball. I think he's very capable, hopefully he shows it.
Rugby World Cup Predictions on 09:38 - Oct 19 with 954 viewsFreddies_Ears

Rugby World Cup Predictions on 08:50 - Oct 19 by Chrisd

I can well imagine a 30+ point defeat for England. South Africa & NZ look to be playing a different sport in comparison, faster, far more skillful, much more athletic.

SA v NZ will be a great final.
Rugby World Cup Predictions on 09:46 - Oct 19 with 947 viewsbluelagos

SA and NZ by 20 points
[Post edited 19 Oct 2023 9:47]

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Rugby World Cup Predictions on 09:56 - Oct 19 with 928 viewsElephantintheRoom

If England can get the ref in their team as effectively as South Arica did v France they’d have a very good chance.

But aside from that the semis are mismatches - and the two best teams by far are already out.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Login to get fewer ads

Rugby World Cup Predictions on 09:57 - Oct 19 with 926 viewsHerbivore

Rugby World Cup Predictions on 09:56 - Oct 19 by ElephantintheRoom

If England can get the ref in their team as effectively as South Arica did v France they’d have a very good chance.

But aside from that the semis are mismatches - and the two best teams by far are already out.

Clearly they aren't the best teams by far if they've been knocked out.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Rugby World Cup Predictions on 10:14 - Oct 19 with 907 viewsDaninthecampo

Has to be NZ & SA But I actually think the England game could be quite tight, we up our game against the better teams.
Or i could just be transferring my optimism under ME's Ipswich to the rugby!
Rugby World Cup Predictions on 10:47 - Oct 19 with 880 viewsGuthrum

I don't think it will be so clear cut.

Argentina can give anyone a tough game. If the All Blacks have a slightly off day (which they have done a few times lately), it could be punished.

England are playing better as the tounament progresses (partly through individual initiative). South Africa had some help from dubious refereeing decisions to get past France. I'd be interested to know what the mitigation was for Etzebeth's head-on charge into Antonio being retained at yellow.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Rugby World Cup Predictions on 10:55 - Oct 19 with 872 viewsvilanovablue

I think it will be closer than everyone thinks. Argentina have beaten NZ twice since the last world cup. SA have had three tough games in a row and England are undefeated.

They are also both one-off games so let's be honest anything might happen.

My head however tells it'll be NZ v SA.
Rugby World Cup Predictions on 10:59 - Oct 19 with 863 viewsMookamoo

I do hope I'm wrong, but I see England getting spanked.

They'll try and go toe to toe with SA and we'll end up with Curry or Genge getting sent off after 20 mins. If Smith plays 15 he'll end up broken.

SA 42 Eng 9

Pumas will give it a good go. NZ 35 Arg 20
Rugby World Cup Predictions on 11:06 - Oct 19 with 843 views_clive_baker_

Rugby World Cup Predictions on 10:59 - Oct 19 by Mookamoo

I do hope I'm wrong, but I see England getting spanked.

They'll try and go toe to toe with SA and we'll end up with Curry or Genge getting sent off after 20 mins. If Smith plays 15 he'll end up broken.

SA 42 Eng 9

Pumas will give it a good go. NZ 35 Arg 20

There's no way Smith will start at 15. I don't think he's fit for a start, but I'm sure he would've dropped out for Steward anyway against SA's kicking game.

SA 31 - ENG 16

NZ 41 - ARG 12
Rugby World Cup Predictions on 13:02 - Oct 19 with 784 viewscressi

Rugby World Cup Predictions on 10:14 - Oct 19 by Daninthecampo

Has to be NZ & SA But I actually think the England game could be quite tight, we up our game against the better teams.
Or i could just be transferring my optimism under ME's Ipswich to the rugby!

I agree think the England game may be tighter than some imagine 10 points maybe same with New Zealand.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024