Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Smart Heating 08:33 - Oct 18 with 1836 viewsNeedhamChris

Anyone have strong recommendations on a system to use?

I'm currently torn between the Tado with a few smart valves so that we can have zonal heating - but the Google Nest looks clever and more intuitive (but I'd likely have to get 2 to replicate an upstairs/downstairs zone).

Poll: Who will Kieran McKenna be managing on 1st August 2024

Smart Heating on 08:57 - Oct 18 with 1788 viewsOldfield1912

Depends on what boiler you have. Is it opentherm or ebus compatible? I'm a heating engineer. Happy to advise if you like.
Smart Heating on 09:40 - Oct 18 with 1714 viewsTractorBrew

I have Hive stuff (Thermostat, rad valves, bulbs etc), but mostly because I did a project there and I was provided with "samples" and didn't need to make a decision. Works perfectly fine for me, rad valves are a great way of only heating certain rooms when working from home - have seen a saving on oil as a result.
Smart Heating on 11:39 - Oct 18 with 1599 viewsGlasgowBlue

We’ve had hive for about six years now. Works a treat.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: What will be announced first?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Smart Heating on 12:59 - Oct 18 with 1530 viewsitfcjoe

Smart Heating on 11:39 - Oct 18 by GlasgowBlue

I'm thinking of getting it, only issue I can foresee is I have different heating circuits for upstairs and downstairs so would I need double the amount of programmers etc?

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Smart Heating on 13:05 - Oct 18 with 1515 viewsNeedhamChris

Smart Heating on 08:57 - Oct 18 by Oldfield1912

Depends on what boiler you have. Is it opentherm or ebus compatible? I'm a heating engineer. Happy to advise if you like.

Cheers - have a Valiant combi-boiler.

From what I can make out - the Nest looks good but the zonal function doesn't really exist in the same way as it would with 4/5 smart valves?

Smart Heating on 13:05 - Oct 18 with 1503 viewsNeedhamChris

Smart Heating on 11:39 - Oct 18 by GlasgowBlue

Cheers - will look into that also

Smart Heating on 13:34 - Oct 18 with 1468 viewsbluelou

I've got Honeywell home. Most of my rads have their own controller so I have set schedules for each room. It's a good system and better than what I had but overall I'm not sure it really saves me money!

Poll: What will have the greatest positive impact on attendances next season?

Smart Heating on 23:10 - Oct 18 with 1295 viewsRyorry

Very kind of you to give free advice on here 👍

If you don't mind me asking - would it be more economic generally speaking to keep a heating system at a low background heat, let's say eg 17 or 18C for the entire day from 7am to 7pm, than to instead have 3 shorter periods at 21C from 04.30-07.30; 12.00-14.00 & 17.00-1900 and just 14C between those shorter bursts?

Poll: Time of the annunciation

Login to get fewer ads

Smart Heating on 08:59 - Oct 19 with 1193 viewsOldfield1912

Smart Heating on 13:05 - Oct 18 by NeedhamChris

Cheers - have a Valiant combi-boiler.

From what I can make out - the Nest looks good but the zonal function doesn't really exist in the same way as it would with 4/5 smart valves?

Vaillant use ebus controls. Nest etc run on opentherm. Hive/neat/tado will literally be an on/off switch as far as the boiler itself goes. You'll make gains with regards to the ease of timing and only coming on when you're home etc. To really make the boiler work to its full potential the beat thing to use would be vaillants own controls. You'll have far greater modulation of the boiler, weather compensation etc. They do their own smart valves. Sensohome I believe its called. Pricey kit, but pretty good as far as sapping every last drop of efficiency out.
Smart Heating on 09:05 - Oct 19 with 1184 viewsOldfield1912

Smart Heating on 23:10 - Oct 18 by Ryorry

Very kind of you to give free advice on here 👍

If you don't mind me asking - would it be more economic generally speaking to keep a heating system at a low background heat, let's say eg 17 or 18C for the entire day from 7am to 7pm, than to instead have 3 shorter periods at 21C from 04.30-07.30; 12.00-14.00 & 17.00-1900 and just 14C between those shorter bursts?

So many factors to consider here. There's no general rule of thumb. Size of house. Used/unused rooms, times theres actually someone home, insulation in the property, u values of the building fabric.
Smart Heating on 09:08 - Oct 19 with 1175 viewsLeaky

Depends on your boiler is it gas or oil. I seem to fit a lot of Hives. Ben called out with some issues with Tado. Nest I believe is linked to Google so expect a few ads. tobe coming your way if thats your choice.
[Post edited 19 Oct 2023 9:12]
Smart Heating on 09:10 - Oct 19 with 1171 viewsZx1988

Apologies for jumping in, but wondering if I could ask a quick question?

Is there any such thing as a semi-smart TRV (or suchlike). We've just had a Nest system installed, so we know that we won't be able to use smart TRVs with it, but can you get TRVs that can be individually programmed?

I'm pretty sure I've seen similar things on the Continent, but I'm struggling to find them over here without being bombarded with listings for smart valves!

Poll: Stone Island - immediate associations

Smart Heating on 09:15 - Oct 19 with 1157 viewsLeaky

Smart Heating on 09:10 - Oct 19 by Zx1988

Apologies for jumping in, but wondering if I could ask a quick question?

Is there any such thing as a semi-smart TRV (or suchlike). We've just had a Nest system installed, so we know that we won't be able to use smart TRVs with it, but can you get TRVs that can be individually programmed?

I'm pretty sure I've seen similar things on the Continent, but I'm struggling to find them over here without being bombarded with listings for smart valves!

Honneywell Home will be the nearest you get to Smart TRV's
Smart Heating on 09:25 - Oct 19 with 1142 viewsRyorry

Smart Heating on 09:05 - Oct 19 by Oldfield1912

So many factors to consider here. There's no general rule of thumb. Size of house. Used/unused rooms, times theres actually someone home, insulation in the property, u values of the building fabric.

Cheers - I'll PM you a few details 👍

Smart Heating on 09:32 - Oct 19 with 1131 views_clive_baker_

Smart Heating on 09:25 - Oct 19 by Ryorry

Cheers - I'll PM you a few details 👍

Guess you could try both for a week each and take the meter readings pre and post each as a little experiment? Although the weather conditions might distort that I suppose.

It's one I've thought about too. My house is quite large and has average insulation. I'm conscious of usage both from an environmental and financial perspective and haven't really formed a conclusion on which is more efficient. I think heating to a high heat, allowing it to drop and then heating again probably isn't optimum for me vs. maintaining a stead temperature, but that's based on nothing but instinct.

Ps. hope you're keeping well R
[Post edited 19 Oct 2023 9:34]
Smart Heating on 09:58 - Oct 19 with 1069 viewsRyorry

Smart Heating on 09:32 - Oct 19 by _clive_baker_

Guess you could try both for a week each and take the meter readings pre and post each as a little experiment? Although the weather conditions might distort that I suppose.

It's one I've thought about too. My house is quite large and has average insulation. I'm conscious of usage both from an environmental and financial perspective and haven't really formed a conclusion on which is more efficient. I think heating to a high heat, allowing it to drop and then heating again probably isn't optimum for me vs. maintaining a stead temperature, but that's based on nothing but instinct.

Ps. hope you're keeping well R
[Post edited 19 Oct 2023 9:34]

Cheers Clive, that's a great idea 👍

PS You too - I'm head above water ta, albeit now 7 month old Lab pup with Hoover instincts but sensitive tum has brought some grief to my back as a result of clearing up after all the squits & vomms episodes

Labradors are basically a life-support machine for a stomach!

Smart Heating on 13:55 - Oct 19 with 981 viewslongtimefan

Smart Heating on 08:59 - Oct 19 by Oldfield1912

Vaillant use ebus controls. Nest etc run on opentherm. Hive/neat/tado will literally be an on/off switch as far as the boiler itself goes. You'll make gains with regards to the ease of timing and only coming on when you're home etc. To really make the boiler work to its full potential the beat thing to use would be vaillants own controls. You'll have far greater modulation of the boiler, weather compensation etc. They do their own smart valves. Sensohome I believe its called. Pricey kit, but pretty good as far as sapping every last drop of efficiency out.

Jumping on this post - Do you have any experience of Alpha boilers. My son has just moved into a house with an Alpha E-Tec Combi boiler which, as far as I can tell, is controlled from a very simple thermostat with no time of day functions. Do you know whether the likes of Nest and Hive would be suitable for this boiler or whether he needs to get one of Alpha's dedicated controllers?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024