Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Getting a new job 11:30 - Sep 15 with 2360 viewsReus30

Really struggling trying to get a new job. Current role used to be great but things have changed, morale is through the floor and requests coming my way are just ridiculous. Honestly, I'm just completely burnt out and I don't care about deadlines and I'm struggling to hide my distain.

Anyone able to give advice on how I go about get a new job? Trying LinkedIn, Indeed and spoken to a fair few recruiters which has resulted in nothing of note. Also it doesn't help that the majority of remote roles are just lies along with the old competitive salary nonsense.
Getting a new job on 11:38 - Sep 15 with 2295 viewsMaySixth

DM mate if you like.

First thing, don't panic. It will be ok.

Use your network

Poll: Ladapo or Hirst to start up front against Peterborough?

Getting a new job on 11:38 - Sep 15 with 2287 viewsblueasfook

What field are you in?

Hunk trapped in a slob's body.
Poll: How do you think season will end for us?

Getting a new job on 11:40 - Sep 15 with 2281 views_clive_baker_

In the short term do you have any annual leave left? I'm not going to patronise you by saying if you sleep on it it'll be better in the morning, but sometimes a break can do you good. Even if it's a week at home, do something in the garden, get out of the house for walks, exercise etc. Might just make you come back a little bit more recharged.

What is it that you do? Could you pivot your skill set to a different area which might open up more opportunities?
Getting a new job on 11:46 - Sep 15 with 2234 viewsKeno

What do you do?

are you thinking of a similar role to a complete change?

could you afford to retrain?

Firstly take a deep breath and have a coffee, I find that helps, then one of the best bits of advice I had from an old boss was to sit down and take a couple of hours to think about what I wanted to do, how I could achieve that and even write down a plan

You have Amy sympathy as its awful feeling like that

Poll: IF TWTD was a constituency who'd you vote for?
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Getting a new job on 13:54 - Sep 15 with 1943 viewsReus30

Appreciate the replies, thank you.

To be honest, I haven't really felt like this in my career until this year but it's just been progressively getting worse. I used to be a relatively laid back guy but I just feel more enraged and bitter as time goes on. Honestly, I wish I could post some of the requests that have come in today because it's absurd.

Thing is in the grand scheme of things, it's completely trivial and nonsense compared to what my missus puts up with at the hospital and other peoples jobs that actually mean something to society. I do an ok job of not bringing the black cloud home with me for now and staying away from alcohol for the minute until I feel better but I know I need a complete change.

Chartered Accountant, been in Property for over a decade working my way up and now HOF in a relatively small business. I don't care what industry I work in, I need something completely different and my skills can transfer. I know I will likely be taking a hit to salary etc if I move industry but I am ok with that. Based in Glasgow/Central Scotland but at this point, I would happily move my family anywhere (they are onboard too).

Similar roles are just none existent, I seem to be in this beautiful middle ground of not being old enough to be FD but over-experienced for a finance manager role (for which I am certainly not). Don't know what is it, maybe a complete CV refresh is needed or even just a reset of expectations.
Getting a new job on 14:10 - Sep 15 with 1889 views_clive_baker_

Getting a new job on 13:54 - Sep 15 by Reus30

To be honest, I haven't really felt like this in my career until this year but it's just been progressively getting worse. I used to be a relatively laid back guy but I just feel more enraged and bitter as time goes on. Honestly, I wish I could post some of the requests that have come in today because it's absurd.

Thing is in the grand scheme of things, it's completely trivial and nonsense compared to what my missus puts up with at the hospital and other peoples jobs that actually mean something to society. I do an ok job of not bringing the black cloud home with me for now and staying away from alcohol for the minute until I feel better but I know I need a complete change.

Chartered Accountant, been in Property for over a decade working my way up and now HOF in a relatively small business. I don't care what industry I work in, I need something completely different and my skills can transfer. I know I will likely be taking a hit to salary etc if I move industry but I am ok with that. Based in Glasgow/Central Scotland but at this point, I would happily move my family anywhere (they are onboard too).

Similar roles are just none existent, I seem to be in this beautiful middle ground of not being old enough to be FD but over-experienced for a finance manager role (for which I am certainly not). Don't know what is it, maybe a complete CV refresh is needed or even just a reset of expectations.

I've been there myself, so I can certainly sympathise.

I'm also a chartered accountant 'by trade' and my wife is a nurse, so definite similarities. The good thing about accounting as you'll know is you're not necessarily wedded to an industry, you've got skills that can transfer elsewhere. Industry experience is of course very valuable in SLT level and strategic finance roles, but you can certainly make effective lateral moves. I started at KPMG where I qualified, really enjoyed it to begin with, hated it by the end. Took a few internal moves just to keep things a bit interesting and prolong my time there as I knew it was a decent CV stamp. I was ready to leave after 4 years, but a secondment to New York and internal move in London gave me enough variety to eek it out before I just had to get out and try something new. I quit to join a start up, everyone told me I was an idiot to do it, but it was way more fun day to day. It scaled very quickly and I learnt more there than I would've by staying put.

My advice would be that lateral moves can be really beneficial. If FD roles are harder to come by then FC or HOF at a different company could really help consolidate what you've already built. The day to day can be so different elsewhere too, and the rogue requests you're getting might be avoided in a different company, culture, size etc.

Keep your head up. DMs are always open if you want a chat.
Getting a new job on 17:48 - Sep 15 with 1651 viewsfactual_blue

You'll just have to deal with the ridiculous requests, but be firm.

Tell them they can't have a breakfast McMuffin after 11.30.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Getting a new job on 18:56 - Sep 15 with 1585 viewsmutters

Getting a new job on 17:48 - Sep 15 by factual_blue

You'll just have to deal with the ridiculous requests, but be firm.

Tell them they can't have a breakfast McMuffin after 11.30.

What?!?!! I thought the cut off was 11am for breakfast. My local Maccas have been lying to me...

Poll: At what price would you sell our 32 year old Leading Scorer Murphy this summer?

Login to get fewer ads

Getting a new job on 20:51 - Sep 15 with 1450 viewsArnoldMoorhen

May I suggest that you take this opportunity to look at this website? There are regularly Director of Finance type roles going, and being part of an organisation that you can fully believe in may give you that mid-career boost.

For example:

https://www.charityjob.co.uk/jobs/demelza/director-of-finance-business-planning/

https://www.charityjob.co.uk/jobs/rcog-royal-college-of-obstetricians-and-gynaec

https://www.charityjob.co.uk/jobs/mackie-myers-ltd/head-of-finance-operations/92

Just a few random examples at different salary points. Worth a look!
Getting a new job on 22:16 - Sep 15 with 1323 viewsSwansea_Blue

I know how you feel. It sounds like you’re doing the right thing by recognising there’s a problem and wanting to do something about it. I got to your stage a few years ago and just tried to put up with it, as my job pays well and is very convenient. Ultimately though none of that matters if you’re not happy.

I’ve not got much advice about how to find something else. But don’t let it fester. If you dread the start of the week and end each day fed up/frustrated/angry/bored, it won’t get any better unless something changes. It sounds like you know you need to make a move and you probably do unless you can ‘reset’ the role somehow.

And btw, don’t sacrifice your own happiness by comparing yourself to others. If you’re not happy in the role, it’s not helping you OR anyone around you. It’s a bit like the airplane life jacket drill - sort out yourself first and then you’re better able to support others.

Best of luck 🤞

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Getting a new job on 23:49 - Sep 15 with 1223 viewsredrickstuhaart

Getting a new job on 22:16 - Sep 15 by Swansea_Blue

I know how you feel. It sounds like you’re doing the right thing by recognising there’s a problem and wanting to do something about it. I got to your stage a few years ago and just tried to put up with it, as my job pays well and is very convenient. Ultimately though none of that matters if you’re not happy.

I’ve not got much advice about how to find something else. But don’t let it fester. If you dread the start of the week and end each day fed up/frustrated/angry/bored, it won’t get any better unless something changes. It sounds like you know you need to make a move and you probably do unless you can ‘reset’ the role somehow.

And btw, don’t sacrifice your own happiness by comparing yourself to others. If you’re not happy in the role, it’s not helping you OR anyone around you. It’s a bit like the airplane life jacket drill - sort out yourself first and then you’re better able to support others.

Best of luck 🤞

Considered contracting?
Getting a new job on 07:04 - Sep 16 with 1091 viewsDubai_Blue

Don't do anything rash - remember it is easier to find a job whilst you still have a job.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024