Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
McKenna being considered by the FAI. 13:17 - Sep 12 with 3016 viewsRedX

And no, I don't think McKenna would leave for the Irish job.

McKenna being considered by the FAI. on 13:20 - Sep 12 with 2963 viewsitfcjoe

I remember when people used to come on here and claim that Kenny was doing a much better job than McCarthy did, despite the results being absolutely atrocious.

Carsley would be a great appointment, he has done a superb job with the 21s but wonder if he is eying up the full job here - tough one as obviously is a dual national who played for Ireland

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

McKenna being considered by the FAI. on 13:28 - Sep 12 with 2864 viewsRedX

McKenna being considered by the FAI. on 13:20 - Sep 12 by itfcjoe

I remember when people used to come on here and claim that Kenny was doing a much better job than McCarthy did, despite the results being absolutely atrocious.

Carsley would be a great appointment, he has done a superb job with the 21s but wonder if he is eying up the full job here - tough one as obviously is a dual national who played for Ireland

I'd agree with that joe. McCarthy was doing a good job before Kenny came in. It seems a job that suits him. He always got the best out of the squads he's had.

I'm thinking this could be Southgate's last major tournament, so if Carsley is as highly thought of by the FA as we believe, he's likely to stick around to see if he has a chance at the top job.
McKenna being considered by the FAI. on 13:55 - Sep 12 with 2691 viewsChampionsofInnsbruck

The only three jobs for me that could tempt McKenna away at this stage are Ireland, Celtic and Manchester United.

I suspect Carsley would go to Ireland, as although he's in England's set up, he played fore Ireland and I am doubtful he would ever get anywhere near the England job when Southgate decides to move on.
McKenna being considered by the FAI. on 14:08 - Sep 12 with 2573 viewsgainsboroughblue

McKenna being considered by the FAI. on 13:55 - Sep 12 by ChampionsofInnsbruck

The only three jobs for me that could tempt McKenna away at this stage are Ireland, Celtic and Manchester United.

I suspect Carsley would go to Ireland, as although he's in England's set up, he played fore Ireland and I am doubtful he would ever get anywhere near the England job when Southgate decides to move on.

Haven't checked any betting but provided he doesn't land another top job, I'm guessing Potter would be one of the faves for when Southgate goes?

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

McKenna being considered by the FAI. on 14:08 - Sep 12 with 2575 viewsthe_toff

Lets be realistic, there's many more jobs that could appeal than those 3. Are you saying if Klopp left Liverpool and they approached McKenna (they wouldn't) that he wouldn't be interested? Silly suggestion.
McKenna being considered by the FAI. on 14:12 - Sep 12 with 2534 viewstractorboy1978

McKenna being considered by the FAI. on 14:08 - Sep 12 by gainsboroughblue

Haven't checked any betting but provided he doesn't land another top job, I'm guessing Potter would be one of the faves for when Southgate goes?

I honestly don't get the appeal of international management unless you are a manager who is coming towards the end or you are somebody embedded in the system and unlikely to get a decent club job, like Southgate. It must be dead boring without the day to day contact with players, coaching and the chance to test yourself weekly.
[Post edited 12 Sep 2023 14:16]
McKenna being considered by the FAI. on 14:24 - Sep 12 with 2462 viewsChampionsofInnsbruck

McKenna being considered by the FAI. on 14:08 - Sep 12 by the_toff

Lets be realistic, there's many more jobs that could appeal than those 3. Are you saying if Klopp left Liverpool and they approached McKenna (they wouldn't) that he wouldn't be interested? Silly suggestion.

I think he'd be reluctant to take on a Liverpool, Spurs or even say a Leicester. He's level headed and probably knows he'd get no time to do anything there and end up on the merry-go-round heap with the rest of Britain's failed managers. Celtic would be a route to Champions league however and he'd easily make the grade, and could be a step towards the Manchester United top job, Ireland wise he's better than 99% of their options and he supports Manchester United and that was his dream job.

Of course if say a PSG came along, his head may turn, but those are the three I think he would absolutely leave us for tomorrow.
McKenna being considered by the FAI. on 14:27 - Sep 12 with 2441 viewsChampionsofInnsbruck

McKenna being considered by the FAI. on 14:12 - Sep 12 by tractorboy1978

I honestly don't get the appeal of international management unless you are a manager who is coming towards the end or you are somebody embedded in the system and unlikely to get a decent club job, like Southgate. It must be dead boring without the day to day contact with players, coaching and the chance to test yourself weekly.
[Post edited 12 Sep 2023 14:16]

The appeal should be, your representing your country.

We gave up our two best ever managers for this country and didn't take a penny for it, as the club felt it was their duty. I will say, losing Robson when we did was the catalyst for where we ended up in the years after. It wasn't just losing a manager, he was in the middle of a rebuild that Ferguson was drastically underqualified (and resourced) to see through. Since Robson left we have played less than 10 seasons in the top flight during a 40 odd year period. That's just how devastating a loss Robson was.
Login to get fewer ads

McKenna being considered by the FAI. on 14:33 - Sep 12 with 2404 viewsJ2BLUE

I would be amazed if McKenna left us for Ireland.

We keep hearing about how detailed he is. Sounds like he enjoys the day to day coaching. Can't see any advantages for him of going for a national job at this stage.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

McKenna being considered by the FAI. on 15:00 - Sep 12 with 2278 viewsitfcjoe

McKenna being considered by the FAI. on 13:28 - Sep 12 by RedX

I'd agree with that joe. McCarthy was doing a good job before Kenny came in. It seems a job that suits him. He always got the best out of the squads he's had.

I'm thinking this could be Southgate's last major tournament, so if Carsley is as highly thought of by the FA as we believe, he's likely to stick around to see if he has a chance at the top job.

I think there was a fair bit of cognitive dissonance re 'quality of football' and 'bringing through youngsters' which Kenny was supposedly massively improving but without the acceptance of the cold hard reality that if you lose games and drop down the rankings then it gets so difficult to qualify for tournaments.

For Ireland to miss out on a 24 team Euros will be scandalous, the expansion is designed for countries like them and their coffers will greatly suffer

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

McKenna being considered by the FAI. on 17:29 - Sep 12 with 1896 viewsSheffordBlue

De Zerbi being poached from Brighton would worry me. Very similar playing style to us. Good owners. Excellent recruitment. Solid league position and he'd get time there I think.

Poll: How many points do you think you'll need to get a ticket for Norwich?

McKenna being considered by the FAI. on 17:42 - Sep 12 with 1831 viewsSWBlue22

McKenna being considered by the FAI. on 17:29 - Sep 12 by SheffordBlue

De Zerbi being poached from Brighton would worry me. Very similar playing style to us. Good owners. Excellent recruitment. Solid league position and he'd get time there I think.

I have to say I think you’re right. If we are still in the championship next season and De Zerbi leaves Brighton I think we are bang in trouble and he would go there if we were approached.
McKenna being considered by the FAI. on 17:46 - Sep 12 with 1801 viewsMoriarty

McKenna being considered by the FAI. on 14:33 - Sep 12 by J2BLUE

I would be amazed if McKenna left us for Ireland.

We keep hearing about how detailed he is. Sounds like he enjoys the day to day coaching. Can't see any advantages for him of going for a national job at this stage.

A lot of good young prospects and Ireland’s demise on the international stage might prompt McKenna to accept. A chance to change our fortunes. In addition to undying adulation that will accompany success, and job security!

Results have been quite poor for Kenny who is, quite frankly, out of his depth. FAI have stuck with him whilst me and my ilk have endured him. That party is now almost certainly over.

That said, I’d be surprised if Kenny gets the bullet before March 2024. It’s now down to time. Carsley will obviously be the target but issues might arise when things like back room staff etc come into play.

McKenna would s great fit for the Irish job and it is quite clearly a job that would interest him.

fka omuircheartaigh

McKenna being considered by the FAI. on 18:40 - Sep 12 with 1644 viewsJ2BLUE

McKenna being considered by the FAI. on 17:46 - Sep 12 by Moriarty

A lot of good young prospects and Ireland’s demise on the international stage might prompt McKenna to accept. A chance to change our fortunes. In addition to undying adulation that will accompany success, and job security!

Results have been quite poor for Kenny who is, quite frankly, out of his depth. FAI have stuck with him whilst me and my ilk have endured him. That party is now almost certainly over.

That said, I’d be surprised if Kenny gets the bullet before March 2024. It’s now down to time. Carsley will obviously be the target but issues might arise when things like back room staff etc come into play.

McKenna would s great fit for the Irish job and it is quite clearly a job that would interest him.

Disagree. McKenna is only going one way at club level. A poor performance with Ireland would really detail him. I'm sure he will leave us in the next few seasons but I just can't see it being for a national job. I might be wrong.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

McKenna being considered by the FAI. on 18:42 - Sep 12 with 1627 viewsEireannach_gorm

McKenna being considered by the FAI. on 13:20 - Sep 12 by itfcjoe

Don't think anyone said that Kenny was doing a better job just that Ireland were trying to play better football. This is the only reason that Kenny was entertained and it is a bit like Cook and Ipswich, everyone wanted him to succeed despite the evidence of our own eyes.
Carsley ( or whoever comes in ) will benefit from Stephen's work.

Would love if McKenna got the job!
McKenna being considered by the FAI. on 19:15 - Sep 12 with 1467 viewsMoriarty

McKenna being considered by the FAI. on 18:40 - Sep 12 by J2BLUE

Disagree. McKenna is only going one way at club level. A poor performance with Ireland would really detail him. I'm sure he will leave us in the next few seasons but I just can't see it being for a national job. I might be wrong.

I think a chance to build an Irish team around Evan Ferguson and have a go at qualifying for a World Cup would be quite appealing to him. In fact, I’m pretty damn sure of it.

Maybe looking at this though an English lens is somewhat different to looking at it from an Irish lens? I can readily understand why he would go for it - if it came his way.

Certainly the better we (ITFC hat now on) do at club level, the more interest he will attract. Slings and arrows etc.

Nothing imminent of course, but if the FAI know their brief (certainly not something to be counted on), McKenna will be on their list.
[Post edited 12 Sep 2023 19:18]

fka omuircheartaigh

McKenna being considered by the FAI. on 20:35 - Sep 12 with 1280 viewsPioneerBlue

As if a coach on the way up is going to swap day to day player contact and coaching for international manager role. That’s not happening.

Blog: Ipswich Ramblings

McKenna being considered by the FAI. on 20:37 - Sep 12 with 1267 viewsMoriarty

McKenna being considered by the FAI. on 13:28 - Sep 12 by RedX

https://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/soccer/irish-coach-english-footballs-most-30774

McKenna will be in the conversation when the time comes.

fka omuircheartaigh

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024