Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Stadium Improvements 04:18 - Sep 6 with 5501 viewsLA_Tractor_Boy

Hopefully the club are planning further stadium improvements, alongside plans to rebuild the Cobbold Stand, redevelop the SAR land and add more exec boxes.

The West Stand kiosks/concourse really needs modernising and if feasible, a new roof would sort out all the RV seats in the back 6 rows.

I'm sure further improvements will happen in time. It's amazing what GC have delivered in just over 2 years.
Stadium Improvements on 07:26 - Sep 6 with 4436 viewsChurchman

The ground is much cleaner and looks cared for compared to a few years ago. The owners have done brilliantly with the initial makeover. It was awful how run down the ground had got.

Your points about the West Stand in particular resonate with my impression of it. There’s a lot of space behind it and I’d enlarge that concourse towards the old training pitch, gut it and do something about the terribly outdated facilities. All costs money, of course.

The Fanzone is clearly very popular and when you take the old training pitch in its entirety, along with the back of West Stand there are big opportunities there, just as there is with the space behind Churchmans. I had a look at that on Saturday and it’s larger than I thought.

Anyone got a few hundred £million?
Stadium Improvements on 07:39 - Sep 6 with 4390 viewstextbackup

Stadium Improvements on 07:26 - Sep 6 by Churchman

The ground is much cleaner and looks cared for compared to a few years ago. The owners have done brilliantly with the initial makeover. It was awful how run down the ground had got.

Your points about the West Stand in particular resonate with my impression of it. There’s a lot of space behind it and I’d enlarge that concourse towards the old training pitch, gut it and do something about the terribly outdated facilities. All costs money, of course.

The Fanzone is clearly very popular and when you take the old training pitch in its entirety, along with the back of West Stand there are big opportunities there, just as there is with the space behind Churchmans. I had a look at that on Saturday and it’s larger than I thought.

Anyone got a few hundred £million?

I’ve watched last 2 games on TV (holiday) and the cobbold looks bloody lovely these days, the black paint, and render of the boxes, looks fantastic I think

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Stadium Improvements on 07:53 - Sep 6 with 4316 viewsWubbleU

Bristol City have just got permission for a 'sports quarter'. This was Ashtons baby when he was there.
5000 seat arena but loads of offices and residential too. Not sure I would want to see the old practice pitch covered in apartments but I assume something similar is his vision when he talks about a shared plan with the council and the car park on Portman Road.
I think it could be a little controversial when the plans arrive. Doesn't make it a bad thing just won't be all about us fans.

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/ashton-gate-sporting-quarter-lon
Stadium Improvements on 07:57 - Sep 6 with 4273 viewsChurchman

Stadium Improvements on 07:39 - Sep 6 by textbackup

I’ve watched last 2 games on TV (holiday) and the cobbold looks bloody lovely these days, the black paint, and render of the boxes, looks fantastic I think

I agree. It does. Particularly with the advertising removed from the exec boxes. In fact, most of the ground looks smart and very unique, very ours. It can generate one heck of an atmosphere when full too, as Saturday showed.

If they ever rebuild Cobbold/East Stand (it does need it), I hope the ground retains its character.
Stadium Improvements on 08:19 - Sep 6 with 4198 viewsxrayspecs

In time, both Cobbold and Magnus need replacing. The latter comprises the old West stand, which is older than Cobbold with the upper tier added about 40 years ago.
Stadium Improvements on 08:26 - Sep 6 with 4165 viewsNthQldITFC

Stadium Improvements on 07:53 - Sep 6 by WubbleU

Bristol City have just got permission for a 'sports quarter'. This was Ashtons baby when he was there.
5000 seat arena but loads of offices and residential too. Not sure I would want to see the old practice pitch covered in apartments but I assume something similar is his vision when he talks about a shared plan with the council and the car park on Portman Road.
I think it could be a little controversial when the plans arrive. Doesn't make it a bad thing just won't be all about us fans.

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/ashton-gate-sporting-quarter-lon

It's a fitting tribute that they are naming it after Mark Ashton, in honour of his work there.

I heard that they decided to name it thus after an overwhelming poll result on the One Team In Bristol forum.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Some thoughts on Stadium Improvements on 08:32 - Sep 6 with 4123 viewsunstableblue

I think the only current planning consents that are live are:

- finishing memorial garden
- building out remaining Pioneer/West boxes at North Stand end
- some cladding and cosmetic changes to back of Churchmans/Sit Alf to improve kits sponsorship link and ‘arrival’ to stadium feel

Not everything needs planning consent, such as the minimal but excellent changes by rendering and blacking out the Cobbold and the the new tunnel area.

I’d suggest the objectives for Portman Road improvement are:

- Be a stadium and venue fit for the Premier League
- Increase revenue on multiple fronts, including non-matchday
- Improve the fan flow around the stadium, including the ‘arrival’
- Increase the condition, prestige of the stadium and the wow factor
- Support community ties and multi-purpose use

I think they’ll continue to be minor works and incremental improvements - so things like the bars in Pioneer/West Stand.

But I guess the 3 big improvements are

1. The West Stand practice pitch, fan zone and hospitality
- our hospitality revenues are probably relatively small, if we make it back to the Premier League the hospitality marquees linked to seats in the Pioneer/West Upper would return and need space/facilities
- the Astro is a complete dog.. and I am amazed that it is still used for community training and matches. Perhaps they’ll find a way to put in two 5G pitches that can be boarded over on MATCHDAY for the fan zone? And the fan zone area is made more formal, permanent?

2. Develop the significant area now ready behind the Churchman/Sir Alf
- Ashton seems to want to make the arrival at the club from the station.. through that area (albeit most are coming across the Portman road car park from Curve Bar and to the Sir Alf statue
- I do wonder if this is going to be the new fan zone, with large scale sports bars that can then support non-matchday revenue, e.g. world cups, euros. Think BoxPark Wembley?
- perhaps the Club Shop moves here and is enlarged, it’s chaos in the club shop on matchday. This would free up the current shop as a hospitality venue, like Hall of Fame

2. Redevelopment of Cobbold Stand and adjacent car park
- the most pressing issue emerging is capacity and more seats… we’re basically selling out every home game. Make it to the Premier League and the demand goes ballistic. Amazed they haven’t started a season ticket waiting list yet!
- how do you do this? Well it’s really only the Cobbold and a massive redevelopment to add 5k seats. Making this the major stand.
- a big focus on hospitality venues and exec boxes as well as large banks of fans to generate at atmosphere
- I’d suggest a large lower tier, boxes and a smaller upper tier - mistakes of North Stand learnt
- perhaps all liked to some commercial development of the car park behind, and a rerouting of Portman Road - so council linked regeneration, they’ve talked about a swimming complex?!
- the challenge is the huge cost involved when not settled in the Premier League, and the impact on atmosphere and capacity whilst being built. The loss of the North Stand was bad. Perhaps there is a way to build the roof and infrastructure of the building prior to demolishing the capacity, a la new stand at Anfield

So many possibilities - all very exciting
[Post edited 6 Sep 2023 8:45]

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Stadium Improvements on 10:28 - Sep 6 with 3738 viewstextbackup

Stadium Improvements on 07:57 - Sep 6 by Churchman

I agree. It does. Particularly with the advertising removed from the exec boxes. In fact, most of the ground looks smart and very unique, very ours. It can generate one heck of an atmosphere when full too, as Saturday showed.

If they ever rebuild Cobbold/East Stand (it does need it), I hope the ground retains its character.

You know what, until you just said that I hadn’t even noticed the advertising boards weren’t there!!

That’s why the entire thing looks so black and smart!

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Login to get fewer ads

Stadium Improvements on 11:42 - Sep 6 with 3516 viewsSheffordBlue

Stadium Improvements on 10:28 - Sep 6 by textbackup

You know what, until you just said that I hadn’t even noticed the advertising boards weren’t there!!

Given the announcement recently about the partnership with Fleximise I should imagine the clean, smart look won't be here for long!

Poll: How many points do you think you'll need to get a ticket for Norwich?

Stadium Improvements on 12:14 - Sep 6 with 3395 viewsArnieM

The key thing is it won’t be all about football per sa. They’ll be looking to generate a 365 /24 hr income model. Using these large stadiums just 1-2 days a week for a match is ludicrous stadia management really isn’t, when it could be earning the club so much more the rest of the time, instead of “costing” us.

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Stadium Improvements on 12:25 - Sep 6 with 3327 viewsKeno

Stadium Improvements on 12:14 - Sep 6 by ArnieM

The key thing is it won’t be all about football per sa. They’ll be looking to generate a 365 /24 hr income model. Using these large stadiums just 1-2 days a week for a match is ludicrous stadia management really isn’t, when it could be earning the club so much more the rest of the time, instead of “costing” us.

I do wonder whether as a long term plan they might turn everything through 90 degrees so the pitch is east/west allowing them to build a modern multi purpose stadium with the additional facilities to generate that 365/24 hour revenue?

Poll: IF TWTD was a constituency who'd you vote for?
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Stadium Improvements on 12:31 - Sep 6 with 3293 viewsthe_toff

Stadium Improvements on 10:28 - Sep 6 by textbackup

You have to wonder if Broad Oak Farm are selling fewer sausages though.
Stadium Improvements on 12:35 - Sep 6 with 3283 viewsPhilTWTD

Think the council, who own the land, would be unlikely to allow that to happen.

MA has said the stadium development at Bristol City wasn't down to him but the training ground there was his legacy.

Ashton: Too Big an Opportunity to Turn Down 1st Jun 2021 14:55
Incoming Blues CEO Mark Ashton says it was time for a new challenge and Town was too big an opportunity to turn down following five and a half years at Bristol City. 24

Stadium Improvements on 12:37 - Sep 6 with 3251 viewsSheffordBlue

Stadium Improvements on 12:25 - Sep 6 by Keno

I do wonder whether as a long term plan they might turn everything through 90 degrees so the pitch is east/west allowing them to build a modern multi purpose stadium with the additional facilities to generate that 365/24 hour revenue?

If they can do a deal with the Council for some of the carpark/road land is this necessary?

The Staples site and old training pitch are decent areas for development. It wouldn't surprise me if the Foundation ended up with a new location away from the stadium for their work at some point to enable permanent changes to that site.

It would seem like a prohibitively expensive option to rotate the stadium that would take a really long time to payback even with increased non-match day revenues.

Stadium Improvements on 12:45 - Sep 6 with 3205 viewsArnieM

Stadium Improvements on 12:25 - Sep 6 by Keno

I’d did think about that only last weeks tbh, but thought the fact that they’ve just spent over £2m on the pitch as it is , why would the6 then rip it all up and turn it the other way round . That’s a huge logistical operation if done in tandom with stand redevelopment isn’t it . When would they be able to do all this work. Don’t think they’d be enough time in the summer close season.

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Stadium Improvements on 13:19 - Sep 6 with 3065 viewsElderGrizzly

I still think it's so vain of Ashton to name Bristol City's ground after himself. No wonder they hate him.
Stadium Improvements on 13:29 - Sep 6 with 2992 viewsKeno

Stadium Improvements on 13:19 - Sep 6 by ElderGrizzly

I still think it's so vain of Ashton to name Bristol City's ground after himself. No wonder they hate him.

Isnt there a song about him?

Hes so vain,
be probably thinks that ground is about him

Poll: IF TWTD was a constituency who'd you vote for?
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Stadium Improvements on 13:49 - Sep 6 with 2910 views_clive_baker_

Stadium Improvements on 13:19 - Sep 6 by ElderGrizzly

Ashton Great as well, it's a bit OTT. Self praise is no praise innit.

Still, beats Delia naming theirs after her famous Carrot and Marrow soup recipe.
Stadium Improvements on 14:38 - Sep 6 with 2745 viewsChampionsofInnsbruck

In terms of increased capacity, we would probably fill a 35-40k ground in the Premier League, with the allowance for more away fans. As it stands, if we got promoted I believe we'd need to offer some clubs more away seats, like we did against Arsenal in the League Cup about a decade ago. We'd have to do it to avoid more home fans missing out.
Stadium Improvements on 15:05 - Sep 6 with 2653 viewsstonojnr

No as was discussed at the time, the shared planning with the council is just to ensure they keep each other informed and don't build something that limits the clubs development options.

Case in point only last week the council are ruminating plans for a multi storey car for Portman road, those plans could limit development on that site, which could impact the longterm choices for the club with the Cobbold stand.

https://www.ipswichstar.co.uk/news/23755144.plans-submitted-new-multi-storey-car

They are not no matter how many times people keep posting about it, about to rip down and rebuild a couple of stands.
Stadium Improvements on 15:11 - Sep 6 with 2622 viewsSheffordBlue

Stadium Improvements on 15:05 - Sep 6 by stonojnr

No as was discussed at the time, the shared planning with the council is just to ensure they keep each other informed and don't build something that limits the clubs development options.

Case in point only last week the council are ruminating plans for a multi storey car for Portman road, those plans could limit development on that site, which could impact the longterm choices for the club with the Cobbold stand.

https://www.ipswichstar.co.uk/news/23755144.plans-submitted-new-multi-storey-car

They are not no matter how many times people keep posting about it, about to rip down and rebuild a couple of stands.

That'll make getting away from that area so much easier post-match..........

Stadium Improvements on 15:17 - Sep 6 with 2591 viewsFtnfwest

Stadium Improvements on 08:19 - Sep 6 by xrayspecs

In time, both Cobbold and Magnus need replacing. The latter comprises the old West stand, which is older than Cobbold with the upper tier added about 40 years ago.

Realistically the only area of the ground (bar a total re-build) that a re-construction would add significant additional capacity is the Cobbold. A much larger stand there might add 4-5000 but otherwise you'd be renewing facilities rather than enlarging too much. But then longer term a 35-36,000 stadium would be more than ample. I'm envisaging a continuation of the Sir Bob around the ground with an extra deck on the sides. Sir Alf and the corner facilities to be the last to be done.
Stadium Improvements on 15:20 - Sep 6 with 2579 viewseireblue

Has anyone checked for RAAC yet?
Stadium Improvements on 15:41 - Sep 6 with 2479 viewsPhilTWTD

Stadium Improvements on 15:05 - Sep 6 by stonojnr

Actually wouldn't surprise me if rebuilding the Cobbold Stand is closer than has been mooted given current attendances.
Stadium Improvements on 15:58 - Sep 6 with 2361 viewsPrideOfTheEast

Stadium Improvements on 15:41 - Sep 6 by PhilTWTD

Actually wouldn't surprise me if rebuilding the Cobbold Stand is closer than has been mooted given current attendances.

Now would be the time to do it, surely. Getting all the hospitality side of things fit for purpose (there and elsewhere) before getting into the PL would make sense.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024