Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Footballers in restaurants... 17:42 - Sep 5 with 11871 viewsFunge

Bloots' interesting post about Chambo and Huws' budget clothing emporium got me thinking...

... I saw Chambo, Huws, Stephen Ward and someone else (maybe Oli Hawkins, or someone else suitably forgettable) in Nandos, around the time we were all Eating Out To Help Out.

Huws had a chicken breast pitta, no idea what the others ate. Ward spoke with an Irish accent, which tallies with his nationality.

About a year later I saw Dozzell Jr in the same restaurant eating green olives. He didn't talk.

Otherwise, the only other sighting of a footballer I am aware of in a restaurant, was the picture of Neil Thompson and Tony Vaughan in Manna's Cafe, eating fried breakfasts.
Footballers in restaurants... on 22:16 - Sep 6 with 1809 viewsNBVJohn

Paul Gascoigne in a Thai restaurant in Swiss Cottage in around 1990.He was with a slightly older looking lady who I later realised was his wife. Was her name Cheryl? He was fairly quiet and was continually looking nervously around him.

Trevor Putney in Ritzy’s in Narwich even longer ago….he was very loud and very drunk, complaining that Bryan Gunn never got a round in and also being highly uncomplimentary about Bobby Ferguson.

Not specifically football, but I saw Grandstand presenter Frank Bough at a charity dinner in Edinburgh not long after a number of sordid allegations were made about him in a Sunday newspaper. Brave man.
I once bumped into Gazza.... on 22:21 - Sep 6 with 1789 viewsBloots

Footballers in restaurants... on 22:16 - Sep 6 by NBVJohn

Paul Gascoigne in a Thai restaurant in Swiss Cottage in around 1990.He was with a slightly older looking lady who I later realised was his wife. Was her name Cheryl? He was fairly quiet and was continually looking nervously around him.

Trevor Putney in Ritzy’s in Narwich even longer ago….he was very loud and very drunk, complaining that Bryan Gunn never got a round in and also being highly uncomplimentary about Bobby Ferguson.

Not specifically football, but I saw Grandstand presenter Frank Bough at a charity dinner in Edinburgh not long after a number of sordid allegations were made about him in a Sunday newspaper. Brave man.

....in The Running Mare pub in Galleywood (random).

He was absolutely hammered and kept stealing the food for the darts team.

I proceeded to have a heated row with his mate Jimmy Gardner and I ended up getting thrown out.

Can't remember why I got involved, I wasn't even in the darts team.

TWTD.

Enduringly lovable, intelligent and thunderingly exquisite.

I once bumped into Gazza.... on 22:25 - Sep 6 with 1779 viewsNBVJohn

I once bumped into Gazza.... on 22:21 - Sep 6 by Bloots

....in The Running Mare pub in Galleywood (random).

He was absolutely hammered and kept stealing the food for the darts team.

I proceeded to have a heated row with his mate Jimmy Gardner and I ended up getting thrown out.

Can't remember why I got involved, I wasn't even in the darts team.

TWTD.

Who would’ve thought that Jimmy five bellies Gardner and Gazza would have been involved in stealing food….
Footballers in restaurants... on 22:29 - Sep 6 with 1765 viewsBlueandTruesince82

Ritzys dates you. Older and it would have been the Samson and Delia, younger and it would be Ikon. Now i think it's an insurance place isn't it?

I saw Keith O'Neil and Erik Fuglestadt in HMV in Norwich, only knew it was them because my Norwich supporting school chum recognised them.

Poll: Will Phil ever confirm we are actually close on a signing ever again

Footballers in restaurants... on 22:51 - Sep 6 with 1721 viewsNthQldITFC

I guess that was a black tie event with Frank Bough? Black tie and panties.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Footballers in restaurants... on 22:52 - Sep 6 with 1721 viewsLord_Lucan

Footballers in restaurants... on 22:29 - Sep 6 by BlueandTruesince82

Ritzys dates you. Older and it would have been the Samson and Delia, younger and it would be Ikon. Now i think it's an insurance place isn't it?

I saw Keith O'Neil and Erik Fuglestadt in HMV in Norwich, only knew it was them because my Norwich supporting school chum recognised them.

Do you mean Samson and Hercules?

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Footballers in restaurants... on 23:00 - Sep 6 with 1706 viewsFunge

Gazza - this is fully the kind of story I can get behind.

WC 2002 - Argie game - we beat them 1-0 with super-sweet pen, as any fule kno.

Ended up in Trafalgar Sq afterwards, most pissed, at about 1.30 pm or something. Gazza was in the fountains, topless, doing plenty singing. Many others were encouraging him.

There was then a 400-a-side game of football on the square itself, which, as I recall, ended 0-0.

My mate passed out in some Soho pub, having been drinking Carlsberg Export since 7 am.

Simpler times.
Footballers in restaurants... on 00:19 - Sep 7 with 1653 viewsLord_Lucan

Footballers in restaurants... on 14:57 - Sep 6 by Mookamoo

We used Milsoms for to wine n' dine clients and was disappointed if I didn't see a player in there. Holland, Venus and Jamma seemed to live there.

Does anyone remember a little cafe on Queen's Street (near where the Giles statue now is)? I remember going into there on a Saturday morning (1980/81 ish) and getting autographs of players who were in having their pre-match fry-ups. Few of them had a Rothmans on the go as well.

Oi, hang on a minute!

You've never wined and dined me and I have to be up there as one of your best customers - for 20 bloody years!

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

Login to get fewer ads

Footballers in restaurants... on 01:55 - Sep 7 with 1625 viewsIPS_wich

I was 100% sure I had the mic drop anecdote - although someone earlier in the thread said they were in the same restaurant as Pele!!

In around 1983/84 when I was around 10 years old my Dad's business was doing really well - so on Christmas Day he booked Christmas Dinner at the old Marlborough Hotel near Christchurch Park. At the time it was the 'poshest' place in town and their Christmas lunch was a 6-7 course feast.

Anyway, we've been sat down for about 3-4 minutes and are just looking at the drinks menu when this voice goes "Hello Stephen" and this man approaches our table, shakes hands with my Dad and starts to chat to him. I look up from the menu to see my Dad chatting away with Bobby Robson (about 1-2 years into his time as England manager). I don't think my jaw has ever hit floor more quickly in my life.

After 3-4 minutes of general chat my Dad introduces Bobby to all of us (my younger brother who has no interest in football had no idea who he was) - I think I blurted out something like 'Hello Sir', blushed the brightest red you've ever seen and went back to just staring at the menu. My Dad then went over to Bobby's table to say hi to Elsie and Bobby's two grown up kids.

When he came back I asked how he knows Bobby Robson and why on earth he's never said anything. Turns out my Dad hired Bobby's oldest son in the late-70s (my Dad having previously been one of the HR leads at Willis Faber until he started his business). He met Bobby a few times in the late-70s and was amazed that Bobby had remembered who he was.

The Robsons sat at the table next to us during the lunch and I think my Dad had to tell me at least a dozen times to stop staring!!
Footballers in restaurants... on 08:54 - Sep 7 with 1516 viewsBlueandTruesince82

Footballers in restaurants... on 22:52 - Sep 6 by Lord_Lucan

Do you mean Samson and Hercules?

Probably... it was mostly Ikon in my day, caught the back end of Ritzys.

Always preferred Hi's for the Saturday night fever dance floor

Footballers in restaurants... on 09:16 - Sep 7 with 1498 viewsMookamoo

Footballers in restaurants... on 00:19 - Sep 7 by Lord_Lucan

Oi, hang on a minute!

You've never wined and dined me and I have to be up there as one of your best customers - for 20 bloody years!

This was in the olden days when I worked for an agency and had a company credit card.

TWTD. We had a petty cash account which was used for additional client 'expenses' should any of them need more than just wine or dine.
Footballers in restaurants... on 09:24 - Sep 7 with 1475 viewssolemio

Bobby often couldn't remember his players' names in later years, so he did well to remember your dad's, IPS_wich.
Footballers in restaurants... on 13:29 - Sep 7 with 1379 viewsSacrebleu

Shared a service station urinal with Phil Parkes coming back from a match.

Also exchanged salt and vinegar with John Pedelty in a chip shop, dockside of the railway station.
Footballers in restaurants... on 13:47 - Sep 7 with 1358 viewsBiGDonnie

Chicken pita? His food choice is about the same level as his footballing ability then, poor.

Don't bother with nandos unless you're ordering ten extra hot wings.

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

Footballers in restaurants... on 14:01 - Sep 7 with 1319 viewsNBVJohn

Footballers in restaurants... on 22:29 - Sep 6 by BlueandTruesince82

Ritzy’s mid to late 80’s was £1 a pint on a Monday. I was a regular for a short while whilst working up there. Tuesday mornings at work were a pretty awful affair as I recall.

The recollection of a top flight professional footballer on the p!ss with a bunch of idiots fuelled by cheap booze is dates me in itself. It’s many years since I set foot in a nightclub but I imagine that such a scenario would be unthinkable now.
Footballers in restaurants... on 14:05 - Sep 7 with 1306 viewsNBVJohn

Footballers in restaurants... on 22:51 - Sep 6 by NthQldITFC

I guess that was a black tie event with Frank Bough? Black tie and panties.

He kept a low and discreet profile as I recall which was more than I could say for one of my friends who insisted on showing his maturity by making loud whiplash noises and shouting encouragement when the poor man headed for the Gents.
Footballers in restaurants... on 15:47 - Sep 7 with 1217 viewsBlueandTruesince82

Footballers in restaurants... on 14:01 - Sep 7 by NBVJohn

Ritzy’s mid to late 80’s was £1 a pint on a Monday. I was a regular for a short while whilst working up there. Tuesday mornings at work were a pretty awful affair as I recall.

The recollection of a top flight professional footballer on the p!ss with a bunch of idiots fuelled by cheap booze is dates me in itself. It’s many years since I set foot in a nightclub but I imagine that such a scenario would be unthinkable now.

These days it's all back to the f off great big mansion, phones in a bag held by a players no doubt underpaid assiatnt until you leave isn't it.
[Post edited 7 Sep 2023 19:23]

Footballers in restaurants... on 17:57 - Sep 7 with 1137 viewsibbleobble

I’ve sat in cBBc in Ibiza on a table near Pirlo and a table at Juan y Andrea in formentera near Van Persie. Pretty good footballer spots those two.
Footballers in restaurants... on 22:36 - Sep 7 with 1051 viewsRKD

Not football or sport but Lucan and I saw Sid Owen in a Brazilian restaurant called Ziccos in Bangkok once.

Poll: Edwards goal - shot or cross?

Footballers in restaurants... on 00:12 - Sep 8 with 1001 viewsFunge

Footballers in restaurants... on 22:36 - Sep 7 by RKD

Not football or sport but Lucan and I saw Sid Owen in a Brazilian restaurant called Ziccos in Bangkok once.

I saw Sid Owen in the Groucho in London wearing the original donkey jacket; I also saw Tim Roth there on the same night; quite the polarisation of 'cool'.

I saw Courtney Love in there on a separate occasion; she was reading Cosmopolitan.

Our mutual mate Fran has plenty more anaemic celebrity sightings in said venue, including Kayvan Novak playing snooker.
Footballers in restaurants... on 09:11 - Sep 8 with 858 viewsLord_Lucan

Footballers in restaurants... on 22:36 - Sep 7 by RKD

It was in Koh Samui. Lovely restaurant that.

I used to see him on occasion in Essex Country Club and he was always off his nut.

He was quite reserved when we saw him and when we returned to U.K. he made front page of the NOTW for shagging some girls over there - shock horror.

Footballers in restaurants... on 09:53 - Sep 8 with 826 viewsBlueandTruesince82

Footballers in restaurants... on 00:12 - Sep 8 by Funge

I saw Sid Owen in the Groucho in London wearing the original donkey jacket; I also saw Tim Roth there on the same night; quite the polarisation of 'cool'.

I saw Courtney Love in there on a separate occasion; she was reading Cosmopolitan.

Our mutual mate Fran has plenty more anaemic celebrity sightings in said venue, including Kayvan Novak playing snooker.

If we're extending to non footballers I once saw Ross Kemp eyeing up maccies at J15 of the M1.

HD spotted me looking at him as I was trying to decide if it was him or not then put his hood up and left.

Years ago when in Manchester Phil Neville just doing some shopping and Giggsy Wiggsy trying on suits.

Almost walked into Bradley and Barney Walsh as I left the office the other week.

Bradley from S club 7 and Dane Bowers in center MK when some crap 90s band comicon thing was on there

Holly Valance in London about 2002ish and all I can say is wow

Footballers in restaurants... on 10:43 - Sep 8 with 800 viewsitfcjoe

Footballers in restaurants... on 09:53 - Sep 8 by BlueandTruesince82

If we're extending to non footballers I once saw Ross Kemp eyeing up maccies at J15 of the M1.

HD spotted me looking at him as I was trying to decide if it was him or not then put his hood up and left.

Years ago when in Manchester Phil Neville just doing some shopping and Giggsy Wiggsy trying on suits.

Almost walked into Bradley and Barney Walsh as I left the office the other week.

Bradley from S club 7 and Dane Bowers in center MK when some crap 90s band comicon thing was on there

Holly Valance in London about 2002ish and all I can say is wow

I had breakfast once with Tiger Woods (and Mark O'Meara)

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024