Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Kraftwerk in Ipswich 1975 23:13 - Aug 28 with 3080 viewsPhilTWTD

Friend of mine, a Kraftwerk fan, just found out one of their first UK gigs was in Ipswich in 1975. Anyone on here go? Was it at the Gaumont?
Kraftwerk in Ipswich 1975 on 23:26 - Aug 28 with 3001 viewsArnoldMoorhen

Seeing as it was their Radio Activity tour, maybe it was Sizewell?
Kraftwerk in Ipswich 1975 on 01:15 - Aug 29 with 2927 viewsPavlovsCat

I was on holiday that summer and caught them at the Village Bowl in Bournemouth on September 7th, the night after their (listed) performance at Ipswich. Given the band were relatively unknown at the time I’m guessing the gig would’ve been held at the Civic College, now the Uni, which also hosted Genesis in 1972. Other options would’ve been the Baths Hall which hosted Led Zeppelin in 1971, or the Manor Ballroom. I’m pretty certain they wouldn’t have played a relatively large venue like the Gaumont at that time.

Those were the days!
Kraftwerk in Ipswich 1975 on 03:26 - Aug 29 with 2879 viewsjontysnut

According to some of the concert wiki sites it was 6 September but the venue not noted. However it doesn't appear on the Keep Werking website list of gigs or on the tour poster. They were at Newcastle on 5th, Bournemouth on 7th.
Kraftwerk in Ipswich 1975 on 08:03 - Aug 29 with 2727 viewsPavlovsCat

Kraftwerk in Ipswich 1975 on 03:26 - Aug 29 by jontysnut

According to some of the concert wiki sites it was 6 September but the venue not noted. However it doesn't appear on the Keep Werking website list of gigs or on the tour poster. They were at Newcastle on 5th, Bournemouth on 7th.

I was at the Bournemouth gig. Go me! 💪
Kraftwerk in Ipswich 1975 on 08:19 - Aug 29 with 2706 viewsWeWereZombies

It must have been at quite an obscure venue because I think I would have clocked Kraftwerk playing as a twenty year old in Ipswich (I saw Can at Essex University in 1972 and Amon Dúúl II at the Woods Centre in Colchester a year later, as well as Kraan at the Baths Hall sometime around 1975.)

Incidentally, I have just discovered the Ruth and Martin's Album Club podcast and one of the guests staked her claim to fame as being being at an early electronic music fair looking after a piece of kit. She asked a passing visitor if he would like to see this showpiece only to later discover that she had tried to haul in Florian Schneider and that he had built the equipment...

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

Kraftwerk in Ipswich 1975 on 08:43 - Aug 29 with 2666 viewsthebooks

Kraftwerk in Ipswich 1975 on 08:19 - Aug 29 by WeWereZombies

It must have been at quite an obscure venue because I think I would have clocked Kraftwerk playing as a twenty year old in Ipswich (I saw Can at Essex University in 1972 and Amon Dúúl II at the Woods Centre in Colchester a year later, as well as Kraan at the Baths Hall sometime around 1975.)

Incidentally, I have just discovered the Ruth and Martin's Album Club podcast and one of the guests staked her claim to fame as being being at an early electronic music fair looking after a piece of kit. She asked a passing visitor if he would like to see this showpiece only to later discover that she had tried to haul in Florian Schneider and that he had built the equipment...

Fuuckin hell, you saw Can in 1972! I could not be more jealous.
Kraftwerk in Ipswich 1975 on 08:54 - Aug 29 with 2629 viewsWeWereZombies

Kraftwerk in Ipswich 1975 on 23:26 - Aug 28 by ArnoldMoorhen

Seeing as it was their Radio Activity tour, maybe it was Sizewell?

I think that tour was the following year, '75 was the Autobahn tour. I have been Googling this and found that a dozen or more dates, the entire German tour, was cancelled due to poor ticket sales. I guess the response was 'Nein Danke!'...

Kraftwerk in Ipswich 1975 on 09:04 - Aug 29 with 2600 viewsWeWereZombies

Kraftwerk in Ipswich 1975 on 08:43 - Aug 29 by thebooks

Not only that, Cheech and Chong were one of the support acts (the other one was a psychotic folk rock band called Comus, I think the Student's Union booking officer had just opened the acts available booklet at 'C' and made three phone calls...)

Login to get fewer ads

Kraftwerk in Ipswich 1975 on 15:56 - Aug 29 with 2335 viewsWeWereZombies

Kraftwerk in Ipswich 1975 on 01:15 - Aug 29 by PavlovsCat

I was on holiday that summer and caught them at the Village Bowl in Bournemouth on September 7th, the night after their (listed) performance at Ipswich. Given the band were relatively unknown at the time I’m guessing the gig would’ve been held at the Civic College, now the Uni, which also hosted Genesis in 1972. Other options would’ve been the Baths Hall which hosted Led Zeppelin in 1971, or the Manor Ballroom. I’m pretty certain they wouldn’t have played a relatively large venue like the Gaumont at that time.

Those were the days!

Although I was pretty distracted by an on/off teenage affair and didn't have loads of disposable income in those days I think my interest in German rock and electronic music would have brought any gigs at the Civic College (there were a fair few, as well as the Genesis/Caravan/Band called 'O' triple bill in 1972 there was Barclay James Harvest, Sutherland Brothers and Quiver a year or two later and then in 1975, I think, a fairly spectacular bill of The Pretty Things plus Doctor Feelgood plus Heads, Hands and Feet) to my attention. I also went to plenty at The Manor so would have clocked that too. But I am wondering about the old Arts Theatre (now a bar called 'The Rep' I think) which occasionally had gigs on. I went to one where local band Peppibelli were support and only knew about that because I knew a couple of the band, likewise a band called 'After The Fire' who had some record company push and were supported by Gypp (who I didn't know but went to one of their parties at a basement flat near 'The Woolpack'.) so it might be between Bournemouth and Newcastle some improbable set of connections set Kraftwerk up to play to a handful of disinterested invitees in a theatre which was falling into disuse. Ipswich could be like that in the pre-punk era.

Kraftwerk in Ipswich 1975 on 16:17 - Aug 29 with 2292 viewsWonky

I know somebody he was working there and helped with their gear.
[Post edited 29 Aug 2023 16:18]
Kraftwerk in Ipswich 1975 on 16:39 - Aug 29 with 2239 viewsPavlovsCat

Kraftwerk in Ipswich 1975 on 15:56 - Aug 29 by WeWereZombies

Although I was pretty distracted by an on/off teenage affair and didn't have loads of disposable income in those days I think my interest in German rock and electronic music would have brought any gigs at the Civic College (there were a fair few, as well as the Genesis/Caravan/Band called 'O' triple bill in 1972 there was Barclay James Harvest, Sutherland Brothers and Quiver a year or two later and then in 1975, I think, a fairly spectacular bill of The Pretty Things plus Doctor Feelgood plus Heads, Hands and Feet) to my attention. I also went to plenty at The Manor so would have clocked that too. But I am wondering about the old Arts Theatre (now a bar called 'The Rep' I think) which occasionally had gigs on. I went to one where local band Peppibelli were support and only knew about that because I knew a couple of the band, likewise a band called 'After The Fire' who had some record company push and were supported by Gypp (who I didn't know but went to one of their parties at a basement flat near 'The Woolpack'.) so it might be between Bournemouth and Newcastle some improbable set of connections set Kraftwerk up to play to a handful of disinterested invitees in a theatre which was falling into disuse. Ipswich could be like that in the pre-punk era.

I’m with you. I remember plenty of gigs in town around that time and, although we caught the Bournemouth gig because we were on hols there, I certainly would’ve been aware of any gig in Ipswich. I can’t imagine Kraftwerk would divert to Ipswich from Newcastle en-route to Bournemouth unless they’d been specifically booked to play there, though stranger things have happened.

The plot thickens. 🤔
Kraftwerk in Ipswich 1975 on 18:57 - Aug 29 with 2136 viewsMerthyrblue

Kraftwerk in Ipswich 1975 on 15:56 - Aug 29 by WeWereZombies

I was at the Civic College 74-76 so pretty certain they didn't play there in 75. Was at the Sutherland Brothers gig you mentioned. Manor Ballroom possibly - have good memories of Groundhogs playing at that time.
Kraftwerk in Ipswich 1975 on 18:59 - Aug 29 with 2125 viewsMerthyrblue

Kraftwerk in Ipswich 1975 on 08:43 - Aug 29 by thebooks

I also saw Can at University of Essex in 75/76. Also Gong would you believe
Kraftwerk in Ipswich 1975 on 22:30 - Aug 29 with 1958 viewsWeWereZombies

Kraftwerk in Ipswich 1975 on 18:59 - Aug 29 by Merthyrblue

I also saw Can at University of Essex in 75/76. Also Gong would you believe

Gong played The Baths Hall around 1975 too.

Kraftwerk in Ipswich 1975 on 22:38 - Aug 31 with 1677 viewsPhilTWTD

Kraftwerk in Ipswich 1975 on 16:17 - Aug 29 by Wonky

Working where?
Kraftwerk in Ipswich 1975 on 22:55 - Aug 31 with 1629 viewsLord_Lucan

Kraftwerk in Ipswich 1975 on 16:17 - Aug 29 by Wonky

How did they get it in baby?
[Post edited 31 Aug 2023 23:00]

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Kraftwerk in Ipswich 1975 on 08:24 - Sep 1 with 1466 viewsDinDjarin

One of Pink Floyds first gigs was at Stowmarket Carnival.
Kraftwerk in Ipswich 1975 on 11:00 - Sep 1 with 1408 viewsWeWereZombies

Kraftwerk in Ipswich 1975 on 08:24 - Sep 1 by DinDjarin

One of Pink Floyds first gigs was at Stowmarket Carnival.

Tony, the New Zealander who used to run Orwell Books before Sean, told me that he went to that, one of the gigs they did where they were pelted with pennies (the big old ones) because they wouldn't perform 'See Emily Play'.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024