Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Greg Leigh is a back up left back that barely played in League One 00:30 - Aug 23 with 3446 viewsAsa

A player who started a few cup games.

A player who played the equivalent of about half a dozen league games across the season.

A player who, if you asked most of us to name the promotion winning squad in a few years time, would be the player most of us named about 15th or 16th. Some of us would probably have forgotten him altogether.

Despite all the above, I'll be genuinely sad to see him go. Not because he won't be replaced. Not because he'd be a key player this season.

But simply because Leigh, like Edwards, like Ladapo, like anyone else that might leave in the next week, next six months or whenever their time here is up, was a part of one of the most enjoyable sides many of us have ever seen, a huge part off the pitch in driving standards, in professionalism, in team bonding.

What a squad we have of bloody decent players and bloody decent people. Impossible not to wish him well and quite a strange feeling that a fringe player leaving to play games regular with our blessing can actually force the tinge of sadness normally reserved for players who've been stars at the club at some time in their ITFC careers.

Just goes to show what an astonishing job McKenna, Ashton, O'Leary and Gamechanger have done in their recruitment.

All the best Greg!
Greg Leigh is a back up left back that barely played in League One on 02:47 - Aug 23 with 3288 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

I’ll miss him as much for his stupid chant that always made me smile as much as anything else. Impossible not to like him for us. Never had a game below a 7/10 in my opinion.

‘Pass to Greg Leigh on the left hand side’

Poll: Would you take a draw tonight if offered right now?

Greg Leigh is a back up left back that barely played in League One on 07:11 - Aug 23 with 2978 viewsArnieM

Great OP 👍.

I think Oxford will be getting a really good player in Leigh and good luck to him. Like you say, he a few other senior second string could well be on the move in search of regular games, which you can’t blame them. Town are trying to maintain a fine balance now in getting replacements. Players need to be of sufficient quality that when they come in ( if not first choice) are able to maintain the high level of performance their first choice counterparts already provide. But usually players that have that level of quality want to be first choice in the first place and generally are happy to be sat in the bench for too long. The naturally target therefore is young, high quality PL peripheral players. Times certainly are changing at this club. Our stock has risen massively over the last 18/12 and is getting stronger all the time.

COYBs

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Greg Leigh is a back up left back that barely played in League One on 07:13 - Aug 23 with 2974 viewsBlueBoots

As I've mentioned in other threads, Greg Leigh is my favourite Town player; saw him play in the pre season friendlies last year and was really looking forward to seeing him play last season - was actually gutted when we signed Leif Davis as had no idea at the time how good he'd turn out to be!

Despite his limited game time, always know when Leigh plays for us he's defensively unlikely to get beaten for pace or in the air and good for a few crunching tackles, and can also offer a threat going forward.

I'm still hopeful that if we sign Williams on loan, that'll mean Leigh going out on loan rather than permanently - regardless of how well Williams does for us, his wages must mean he's out of reach financially to us as a permanent signing. With having to manage Clarke's achilles problem at the moment it will help having a full-back who can cover both sides - we're already close to the squad limit, so understandably it's pretty much going to be one-in, one-out for most signings this window.

As I said, I hope Leigh's move is a loan, as a lot can happen injury wise between now and the winter window so being able to recall a reliable left-back who already knows our systems and patterns of play (and who's match fit from half a season of football in League One) could turn out to be helpful.

Poll: My morning poo-poo took 3 flushes to clear. Who do I call?

Greg Leigh is a back up left back that barely played in League One on 07:40 - Aug 23 with 2786 viewsArnieM

That’s actually a good shout re Leigh going out on loan rather than selling him. I’m like you, I really like him and feel sorry for him that he’s never had a real run of games but Davis has set a very high bar hasnt he.

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Greg Leigh is a back up left back that barely played in League One on 07:58 - Aug 23 with 2712 viewsOufcjoe

Greg Leigh is a back up left back that barely played in League One on 07:40 - Aug 23 by ArnieM

That’s actually a good shout re Leigh going out on loan rather than selling him. I’m like you, I really like him and feel sorry for him that he’s never had a real run of games but Davis has set a very high bar hasnt he.

Oxford fan here, what sort of player are we likely to be getting? I see lots of positive reviews, especially defensively, what's he like going forwards? I suspect and hope that his signing might be the start of us moving to a 343/3421 as Manning played at MK Dons meaning Leigh would be on the left of midfield/wing back. Is he likely to contribute a lot goi forwards?

Good luck for the rest of the season as well, I fancy you to do well. Best team I've seen in League 1 by a mile despite Plymouth winning it.
Greg Leigh is a back up left back that barely played in League One on 08:00 - Aug 23 with 2690 viewsBlueBoots

Greg Leigh is a back up left back that barely played in League One on 07:40 - Aug 23 by ArnieM

Pretty much - after seeing Leigh's first couple of games, I thought to myself "This Davis chap is going to have to be pretty damn good to keep Leigh out of the team" Turned out he is!

Poll: My morning poo-poo took 3 flushes to clear. Who do I call?

Greg Leigh is a back up left back that barely played in League One on 08:12 - Aug 23 with 2615 viewsNthQldITFC

Very well said.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Greg Leigh is a back up left back that barely played in League One on 08:18 - Aug 23 with 2559 viewsGuthrum

Greg Leigh is a back up left back that barely played in League One on 07:58 - Aug 23 by Oufcjoe

Oxford fan here, what sort of player are we likely to be getting? I see lots of positive reviews, especially defensively, what's he like going forwards? I suspect and hope that his signing might be the start of us moving to a 343/3421 as Manning played at MK Dons meaning Leigh would be on the left of midfield/wing back. Is he likely to contribute a lot goi forwards?

Good luck for the rest of the season as well, I fancy you to do well. Best team I've seen in League 1 by a mile despite Plymouth winning it.

Same style as our regular starter Davis (very attacking) and not far behind in ability.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Login to get fewer ads

Greg Leigh is a back up left back that barely played in League One on 08:18 - Aug 23 with 2559 viewsjayessess

Greg Leigh is a back up left back that barely played in League One on 07:58 - Aug 23 by Oufcjoe

Jury's out on his offensive work, I'd say. He didn't start a lot in the league for us but when he did my feeling was that he was a bit conservative in attack sometimes, preferred to stop and make a pass, rather than bomb past his man or cross.

But that might just be him following instructions? And pretty much every Left Back is a downgrade offensively on Leif Davis, so I might not be making a fair comparison. Certainly struck me that he had all the attributes you'd need to be a good LWB - tidy with the ball, aggressive, quick enough, decent at timing runs into the box. If you asked more of him in attack then I reckon he could do it.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Greg Leigh is a back up left back that barely played in League One on 08:24 - Aug 23 with 2530 viewsyorkshireblue

His contract is up at the end of the season, so financially it makes more sense to sell him than loan him.

I like Leigh, I think we all do. But it is what it is - if we want signings then we need to move players out. Plus, it's credit to McK and the club that we won't stand in his way of getting regualr first team football. And Oxford (early days I know) look like a team on the up this season.
Greg Leigh is a back up left back that barely played in League One on 08:28 - Aug 23 with 2497 viewsStewart27

A really good full back with great defensive capabilities. He’s no mug going forwards but not quite in the same mould as Leif Davis who will eventually move on for a very large sum.

He’s also got a top attitude and having a player on the bench like Leigh has set very high standards for the squad.

You may also get a key game called off if you have injuries due to him being a regular Jamaica international.
Greg Leigh is a back up left back that barely played in League One on 11:27 - Aug 23 with 2304 viewsBigCommon

Great OP...
Regarding Leigh.. For all of his good points, of which there are many. I don't think he really challenges Davis for a starting place.. He's a solid back up. And if we are all in agreement, that Leif will eventually move on.Then, imo, we really need to be pushing him to be better so we can maximise his value. I'm not sure that Greg does that. As it stands, there is a slight risk of Davis' development levelling off without some serious competition to push him on a bit... Whether Williams in the building helps in that respect, remains to be seen..Either way, we need players to have serious competition for their position, so they don't fall into that comfort zone of guaranteed starter, and just switch off a little bit.Imo.
Greg Leigh is a back up left back that barely played in League One on 12:38 - Aug 23 with 2226 viewsTootingTown

Potentially the best thing he did for us was being 'called up' for the Jamaica squad. So we could push the Barnsley away game back.
Greg Leigh is a back up left back that barely played in League One on 12:40 - Aug 23 with 2191 viewsAsa

Greg Leigh is a back up left back that barely played in League One on 12:38 - Aug 23 by TootingTown

Potentially the best thing he did for us was being 'called up' for the Jamaica squad. So we could push the Barnsley away game back.

Yep! He's going to be remembered for inadvertently giving us one of the best away performances and occasions that we have had purely as a result of that call up. His own reaction that night was amazing too, tears and all.
Greg Leigh is a back up left back that barely played in League One on 13:23 - Aug 23 with 2078 viewsburnbudgiesburn

Highlights v Burnley give a good overview. Technically a good player with a superb leap. Think he was better going forward than many gave him credit for, there's a lovely run and cross in these highlights

Greg Leigh is a back up left back that barely played in League One on 17:00 - Aug 23 with 1778 viewsElephantintheRoom

He as a signing though - and we need more signings. Get that revolving door twirling… in the process we trust - just dont mention the failures - and sign some more

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Greg Leigh is a back up left back that barely played in League One on 17:04 - Aug 23 with 1762 viewsburnbudgiesburn

Greg Leigh is a back up left back that barely played in League One on 17:00 - Aug 23 by ElephantintheRoom

He as a signing though - and we need more signings. Get that revolving door twirling… in the process we trust - just dont mention the failures - and sign some more

Your posts get more moronic by the day
Greg Leigh is a back up left back that barely played in League One on 18:46 - Aug 23 with 1534 viewsPioneerBlue

GL was part of the turning of the tide. There was a times when we couldn’t compete with top 6 sides in L1. Into the fray he jumped and defended with everything he had in away games at the toughest teams at the time. WW wasn’t it, we won and it started the ball rolling, the tide was turned.

Blog: Ipswich Ramblings

Greg Leigh is a back up left back that barely played in League One on 18:56 - Aug 23 with 1494 viewshave_a_word_with_him

You’re getting a very capable player and a tremendous character. He will definitely contribute offensively and well suited to that formation. Am sorry to see him go he’ll be missed.
People are starting to respond to him..... on 18:58 - Aug 23 with 1478 viewsBloots

Greg Leigh is a back up left back that barely played in League One on 17:04 - Aug 23 by burnbudgiesburn

Your posts get more moronic by the day

....that's the problem, it's just encouraging him.

Surprised he's still here really, but I reckon id we all just ignore him he'll go away.

Enduringly lovable, intelligent and thunderingly exquisite.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024