Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Possession stats 09:15 - Aug 13 with 1552 viewsDaninthecampo

Based on our high possession stats last season, to only get 44% at home yesterday could sound like we may have struggled ( i was surprised it was this low) But 22 shots and 10 on target compared to Stokes 9 and 2 tells the real story
I wonder if we will see the 60's and 70% possession again this season, we'll be looking good if we can!
Possession stats on 09:30 - Aug 13 with 1447 viewsunstableblue

I used to bemoan our lower possession stats in earlier seasons and under previous regimes, because when out of possession we were being outplayed and outpassed and teams were making progress against us. Whilst we were in possession we’d be on the back foot, not penetrating or giving turnover of possession with speculative balls.

Against Stoke when out of possession we were pressing Stoke into cul de sacs, or in non dangerous areas. And when we had the ball we were going forward with energy and pace and looking do something. Hence the higher shots you highlight.

I do think we had a slightly higher inaccurate pass rate yesterday, because their front 4 press meant it was sometimes better to go a bit longer and speculatively to get out of risky situations. But that was rare, and I think McKenna will look to improve on.

This season is going to be “The Season of the Press” how we get at the opposition and how well they close is down. Sunderland were very trained at it last weekend. Hence all that possession and pressure. Yesterday our press was so much better than Stokes. Who are gelling. They weren’t pressing as a team so we’re leaving gaps between the lines for us to exploit.

They also made quite a few unforced errors, especially in gifting possession to Burns on multiples occasions.

Finally, as as their Mekon (sp?) Manager stated we were winning all the one on one duels, which was in many ways why we won.

I think if we can keep that energy going and get into QPR early and get their crowd on their backs, 3 points is achievable.
[Post edited 13 Aug 2023 9:36]

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Possession stats on 09:31 - Aug 13 with 1430 viewsStokieBlue

Not really sure about those stats, I guess they are correct but it didn't seem like we had any less of the ball yesterday.

Our attacks were much faster and incisive though which might explain some of it. We are going to be good on the counter this year.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Possession stats on 12:14 - Aug 13 with 1184 viewsKievthegreat

I saw at half time the stats were 50/50 on possession, and I reckon (not got the numbers) that before our first goal we were at 60/40 sort of range.

The early Stoke sub and subsequent higher line in pressing us stifled our total possession, but after a strong spell from them either side of half time, we had more space to work with so we had a very good pace to our attack. We essentially had to play more vertical passes (front to back) and less horizontal (side to side). End result is we have less time on the ball, but we're having just as many attacks and chances.
Possession stats on 12:20 - Aug 13 with 1163 viewsITFCBlues

Would like to see where that stoke possession was. I think alot of that would've been passing between their CB's which we were probably happy to allow

Poll: Has our squad been improved this summer?

Possession stats on 12:28 - Aug 13 with 1132 viewsHerbivore

I was slightly surprised to see they had more of the ball, didn't quite line up with the eye test which suggested we largely bossed it, but I guess our use of the ball was quick and often high up the pitch which meant we could be on top without needing as much time on the ball. It shows we've got strings to our bow though, last season in the tough run of away games and both games this season we've not necessarily looked to dominate the ball and have looked to press effectively and break quickly when we turn it over. It's good that we can play in more than one way.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Possession stats on 15:31 - Aug 13 with 896 viewsheavyweight

Not convinced those possession stats are particularly accurate, certainly doesn't seem to tally with what I saw yesterday. I guess perception is a strange thing as I thought we were largely in control yesterday.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024