Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Player Values 09:58 - Jul 31 with 1380 viewsThatMuhrenCross

Seen some interesting discussion on Twitter since the Walton to Luton link surfaced, with some wild variation quoted on Walton's value.

I've seen everything from Luton fans saying he's not worth even £3m, through to some slightly more optimistic Ipswich fans pricing him up at £20m! The reality is somewhere in between, obviously, but I can't help but think that if we were to sell any of our key assets, it certainly would be for a massively inflated fee.

The fact is, we don't need to sell. Our owners aren't looking to start seeing a return on their investment for at least a couple more years yet, and they know the serious money is in the Premier League. So, whilst an asset like Walton may very well have been let go for a quick buck under Marcus Evans - perhaps £4-5m - I honestly can't see us entertaining a penny less than £10m - maybe more.

Maybe Walton isn't quite that level, but his value to us right here, right now, is significant. He's a key component of this team, so why would we sell? Same rule will apply to the likes of Chaplin, Broadhead, Morsy, Woolfenden, etc... it would have to be silly money, surely, for us to even pick up the phone.

Poll: Ipswich offer you 10k a week, Norwich offer you 20k. Who do you join?
Blog: The Cashless Debate

Player Values on 10:00 - Jul 31 with 1342 viewsKieran_Knows

Surely it all depends on if the player wants to go or not? If he wants too, that'll no doubt reduce his value as Town wont want an unhappy player on the cards.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Player Values on 10:01 - Jul 31 with 1332 viewsDyland

Surely no way he would fetch much more than 3m at this point in time? As you say though, we don’t need to sell so unless he was unhappy and forced a move it’s a moot point.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Snap on 10:02 - Jul 31 with 1318 viewsDyland

Player Values on 10:00 - Jul 31 by Kieran_Knows

Surely it all depends on if the player wants to go or not? If he wants too, that'll no doubt reduce his value as Town wont want an unhappy player on the cards.

And don’t call me Shirley

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Player Values on 10:02 - Jul 31 with 1314 viewsthe_toff

£20m lol. I guess it depends how replaceable we deem an asset to be to us, which is true of any player if there was interest in them. Walton's a very good keeper, good age, I could see him playing in the Premier League one day. I would be staggered if we wouldn't sell him for £7m though. Not that Luton will pay that, but if that number was put on the table I can't see a world where we turn it down.
Player Values on 10:03 - Jul 31 with 1310 viewsHerbivore

Think if we were offered anything north of £5m, perhaps with some add ons, we'd bite their hand off. We're not talking a keeper with back to back seasons of being a standout in the Championship and whilst I rate Walton and don't want to sell, the notion he's worth £10m or more is crazy.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Player Values on 11:37 - Jul 31 with 1084 viewsReus30

Player Values on 10:03 - Jul 31 by Herbivore

Think if we were offered anything north of £5m, perhaps with some add ons, we'd bite their hand off. We're not talking a keeper with back to back seasons of being a standout in the Championship and whilst I rate Walton and don't want to sell, the notion he's worth £10m or more is crazy.

Take Trafford and his £19m move from City to Burnley. Ok, he's a young keeper but Walton was just as good if not better last year. Surely that puts Walton in the £7m-10m range as he older?

Also, I think we should sell and then buy Cooper from Argyle with the funds. Allows for those PA fans to cry some more about being under-appreciated and unloved.
Player Values on 11:38 - Jul 31 with 1075 viewsredrickstuhaart

Player Values on 11:37 - Jul 31 by Reus30

Take Trafford and his £19m move from City to Burnley. Ok, he's a young keeper but Walton was just as good if not better last year. Surely that puts Walton in the £7m-10m range as he older?

Also, I think we should sell and then buy Cooper from Argyle with the funds. Allows for those PA fans to cry some more about being under-appreciated and unloved.

Not a chance.

A decent L1 (so far) keeper. For £5m?

You can get similar for much less.
Player Values on 11:56 - Jul 31 with 1003 viewsMookamoo

He's got to be worth 4-5 million to a Premier League club, even if that is Luton. Can't see them offering anymore than that, then its up to him if he wanted to move on.

Must also depend on if he has something written into his contract about being able to leave for a PL club. Either way, if he wanted to go then he will go.
Login to get fewer ads

Player Values on 12:18 - Jul 31 with 927 viewsjayessess

Player Values on 11:38 - Jul 31 by redrickstuhaart

Not a chance.

A decent L1 (so far) keeper. For £5m?

You can get similar for much less.

Players have two values really - one to the selling team, another to the buying team. For us, Walton's our uncontested number one, he's an integral part of a defensive unit that's well-drilled and working well. We've done our entire pre-season with him in mind. Our backup keeper has never made a serious case for promotion.

So if we sold Walton, we'd need to go find another keeper with similar qualities, asap, then integrate them into everything we do in/out of possession. Losing him at this point would be extremely damaging. Walton's contract has 2 years to run, we don't need to sell, so we don't need to take that damage right now if we don't want to. All of that adds up to us only selling if we get a fee that massively over-values him.

For Luton? At this point he's probably one keeper amongst many they're looking at. Why pay more than his value, when, like you say, you could probably get similar for much less?
[Post edited 31 Jul 2023 12:24]

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Player Values on 12:34 - Jul 31 with 857 viewsThatMuhrenCross

Player Values on 12:18 - Jul 31 by jayessess

Players have two values really - one to the selling team, another to the buying team. For us, Walton's our uncontested number one, he's an integral part of a defensive unit that's well-drilled and working well. We've done our entire pre-season with him in mind. Our backup keeper has never made a serious case for promotion.

So if we sold Walton, we'd need to go find another keeper with similar qualities, asap, then integrate them into everything we do in/out of possession. Losing him at this point would be extremely damaging. Walton's contract has 2 years to run, we don't need to sell, so we don't need to take that damage right now if we don't want to. All of that adds up to us only selling if we get a fee that massively over-values him.

For Luton? At this point he's probably one keeper amongst many they're looking at. Why pay more than his value, when, like you say, you could probably get similar for much less?
[Post edited 31 Jul 2023 12:24]

I think you've hit the nail on the head with this assessment. Totally understand why Luton wouldn't feel compelled to part with any more than £5m for him given that similar is available for less. But it's not worth the hassle of recruiting someone new for us, when, like you say, he's an absolutely nailed down starter in this team. That's why I think we should be sticking a price-tag north of £10m on him. Hopefully suiters see that and promptly "Foxtrot Oscar"!

Poll: Ipswich offer you 10k a week, Norwich offer you 20k. Who do you join?
Blog: The Cashless Debate

Player Values on 13:17 - Jul 31 with 763 viewsBigCommon

Personnel don't think we'll see any serious player trading until we've got guaranteed back ups coming through as ready made replacements. Either signed as ready made or coming through the system having been bought at low cost.... Walton is a huge player for us, and has been drilled in McKenna ball for the last 18mnths, breaking the clubs clean sheets record, twice, during that time.
Not sure we could even go out and buy that, atm. And keep the harmony at the same time. Be mad to let him go, imo. I just don't see it happening.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024