Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Could Elkan Baggott 11:21 - Jul 29 with 4357 viewsBlueNomad

be the CB we need?
Could Elkan Baggott on 11:25 - Jul 29 with 4013 viewsStu_boy

Personally feel a further loan would be more beneficial for both club and player
Could Elkan Baggott on 11:27 - Jul 29 with 3996 viewsemergencylime

He certainly looked more comfortable yesterday, more so than Cam did, but I think a full season is too soon for him.

Poll: Another Tragical Vegas poll. Would you rather?

Could Elkan Baggott on 11:31 - Jul 29 with 3961 viewsfranz_tyson

No.

Based on a couple of dead-rubber L1 matches over a year ago and the odd appearance in a few minute-the-legs pre-season games - yes. He's just what we need and also straight off one of the countries best conveyor- belt of talent academies.

However, in reality he couldn't get a sniff of a game at Cheltenham a couple of months back. He's only19 and clearly not good enough. Can't we just get him the best possible loan for his progression and stop over-hyping our youngsters.
Could Elkan Baggott on 11:40 - Jul 29 with 3883 viewsBigCommon

We're obviously eyeing up preferred CB targets atm. Hopefully we land one of them and find Baggot a decent loan, with good environment with a decent amount of playing time...
But if we failed to land a quality CB in the window. I'm not against Baggot staying here as back up. Rather than pannick buying a make weight CB at the end of the window....
Could Elkan Baggott on 11:59 - Jul 29 with 3744 viewswischip

If we were still in League 1 I'd say let's have Baggott as our 4th Centre Back and blend him in to games over the season. But doing the same as we're going up a division - when we don't know who in the whole team is going to step up or not be quite good enough - is a bit too much of a gamble. He needs a League 1 season long loan, play 30+ games. I think he only played 19 games for Gillingham last season, that's probably not enough experience to be thrown into a division above quite yet.
Could Elkan Baggott on 12:03 - Jul 29 with 3701 viewsChurchman

Unless we sign a real high end PL quality Centre Half, why not have Baggott in the squad? He’s got to learn and step up somewhere and why not give him the opportunity here? Better that than signing a bang average squad filler.

Obviously that’s assuming McKenna and his staff think he’s good enough.
Could Elkan Baggott on 12:04 - Jul 29 with 3682 viewsSteve_M

We need Championship experience at the back above all else. Baggott can’t help there and probably needs another loan so he can play regularly and improve.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Could Elkan Baggott on 13:44 - Jul 29 with 3409 viewsNutkins_Return

Absolutely not. He was excellent in one 60 minute match yesterday. Had a few wobbles in other pre season games. Looks and excellent prospect but he needs to go and develop and learn. League one level would be a good move for him. Needs to play.

We had the ridiculous hot take by a poster on how poor he was the the other day and we have to guard against overhype after a good performance.

He's definitely still behind all our senior CBs.
Login to get fewer ads

Could Elkan Baggott on 13:46 - Jul 29 with 3398 viewsJ2BLUE

No. He will probably go out on loan.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Could Elkan Baggott on 13:48 - Jul 29 with 3385 viewsxrayspecs

No.

He is at least a season away from being ready for regular first team games. While he had a good game yesterday, he had a tough time against Stevenage and looked a little suspect in the first game at Felixstowe.
Could Elkan Baggott on 14:04 - Jul 29 with 3307 viewsbournemouthblue

He could become the centre back we need, in the way Wolfy has but as others say another loan where he plays regularly would do him good

In the meantime, we can sign the finished article for the LCB role. I always felt that was our Achilles heel against sides who counterattacked effectively.
[Post edited 29 Jul 2023 14:06]

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Could Elkan Baggott on 14:21 - Jul 29 with 3240 viewsjas0999

Good player. But we are clearly after a new CB, so I guess the answer is no.
Could Elkan Baggott on 14:32 - Jul 29 with 3207 viewsnorfsufblue

In the interests of balance....absolutely, experience can only be earned one place , if he's good enough he's old enough and the only person I'd trust to develop him is our manager. Prove them all wrong Elkan
Could Elkan Baggott on 14:46 - Jul 29 with 3166 viewsClutch

He's not ready for playing regular for us.
Could Elkan Baggott on 06:00 - Jul 30 with 2627 viewsPhuketPete

Could Elkan Baggott on 14:46 - Jul 29 by Clutch

He's not ready for playing regular for us.

I agree but the question is where and how does he beat improve to reach his potential (whatever that is). Some younger guys respond well to loans. Thinking Idris. Maybe Corrie. But these guys already moved far away from home as youths to join us. Others like CH and perhaps Elkan may develop better being here within the squad. Remember also it’s not just about the first XI or even the travelling squad with subs. We need 20+ fit outfield players every week for training and the advantage Elkan has is that he doesn’t count to the 25 squad limit.
Could Elkan Baggott on 06:39 - Jul 30 with 2587 viewsfranz_tyson

Could Elkan Baggott on 06:00 - Jul 30 by PhuketPete

I agree but the question is where and how does he beat improve to reach his potential (whatever that is). Some younger guys respond well to loans. Thinking Idris. Maybe Corrie. But these guys already moved far away from home as youths to join us. Others like CH and perhaps Elkan may develop better being here within the squad. Remember also it’s not just about the first XI or even the travelling squad with subs. We need 20+ fit outfield players every week for training and the advantage Elkan has is that he doesn’t count to the 25 squad limit.

But what if EB is less important than ITFC. ITFC comes first. Good chance we can find a better player elsewhere for now than EB with Championship experience.
Let him develop on loan.
Just feels we're falling down the same Evans-era trap of over-hyping an academy player and putting that on the same level of importance as the rest of the team. I'd imagine we're waiting to bring in a CB and then we send him out on loan. If some think he's better than Burgess they're crazy.
Game time for CBs is essential. With Humphreys you can get him 20 mins from the bench because he's more versatile and plays in an advanced position. You don't sub CBs unless they're Nsiala. Baggott would be unlikely to get any minutes here.
Could Elkan Baggott on 07:05 - Jul 30 with 2550 viewskiwiblue

Could Elkan Baggott on 06:39 - Jul 30 by franz_tyson

But what if EB is less important than ITFC. ITFC comes first. Good chance we can find a better player elsewhere for now than EB with Championship experience.
Let him develop on loan.
Just feels we're falling down the same Evans-era trap of over-hyping an academy player and putting that on the same level of importance as the rest of the team. I'd imagine we're waiting to bring in a CB and then we send him out on loan. If some think he's better than Burgess they're crazy.
Game time for CBs is essential. With Humphreys you can get him 20 mins from the bench because he's more versatile and plays in an advanced position. You don't sub CBs unless they're Nsiala. Baggott would be unlikely to get any minutes here.

Yes he could but maybe a call back at Christmas or my preference would be next six months of working in the squad alongside the coaches and improving then going on loan for the end of the season.
That way we get to try him as a sub in games where we lead and he gets the obvious experience of our style
I know it was a friendly but it was a very good standard and he stood out to me.
Whatever improved contract to reward him is important
Hope you have a good agent Elkan
Could Elkan Baggott on 12:32 - Jul 30 with 2227 viewsnrb1985

Could Elkan Baggott on 12:04 - Jul 29 by Steve_M

We need Championship experience at the back above all else. Baggott can’t help there and probably needs another loan so he can play regularly and improve.

This is a bit lazy. He’s acquitted himself well against Argentina and now RB Leipzig. Championship experience or otherwise is irrelevant imo, in view of this.

Bramble for example had no first team experience at all before having a brilliant first season in the PL.

Keep him unless a new CB comes in and I think there’s every chance he gets passed Burgess to be a starter.
Could Elkan Baggott on 12:41 - Jul 30 with 2210 viewsNutkins_Return

Could Elkan Baggott on 14:32 - Jul 29 by norfsufblue

In the interests of balance....absolutely, experience can only be earned one place , if he's good enough he's old enough and the only person I'd trust to develop him is our manager. Prove them all wrong Elkan

I don't think it's about needing a balanced argument or Baggott proving people wrong. I think nearly everyone thinks Baggott has a future with us if he keeps progressing.

Getting more game time and a Lon is about doing the right thing for Baggott as much as us. It doesn't do us any short term harm to keep him around but baggott getting 5-6 run outs this season isn't what he needs or us long term.

Let's let the kid go and learn his trade and make the mistakes all centre backs will make under a little less career pressure. Not no pressure but not 30,000 week in week out pressure.
Could Elkan Baggott on 12:54 - Jul 30 with 2175 viewsSteve_M

Could Elkan Baggott on 12:32 - Jul 30 by nrb1985

This is a bit lazy. He’s acquitted himself well against Argentina and now RB Leipzig. Championship experience or otherwise is irrelevant imo, in view of this.

Bramble for example had no first team experience at all before having a brilliant first season in the PL.

Keep him unless a new CB comes in and I think there’s every chance he gets passed Burgess to be a starter.

It's not lazy thinking, it's an assessment of the lack of Championship experience we have at central defence. Sticking a promising young player in and thinking it will work is very reminiscent of the Summer of 2018.

I'm really not sure that an end of season international friendly or a pre-season game against a side still gaining fitness are sufficient evidence of a player ready for the Championship.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Could Elkan Baggott on 13:47 - Jul 30 with 2102 viewsMullet

No, unless we are just having a season of getting by which doesn't fit with anything coming from the club.

He needs a run of 90 mins week in, to polish up the obvious talent and potential he has. If our squad is unbalanced in any way it's probably senior voices and experience at the back. Keeping Baggott here is a gamble for him and us.

How many Prem players end up dropping through the leagues with barely any appearances by their mid 20's these days? It'd be a similar phenomenon here potentially.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Could Elkan Baggott on 13:55 - Jul 30 with 2076 viewsnrb1985

Could Elkan Baggott on 12:54 - Jul 30 by Steve_M

It's not lazy thinking, it's an assessment of the lack of Championship experience we have at central defence. Sticking a promising young player in and thinking it will work is very reminiscent of the Summer of 2018.

I'm really not sure that an end of season international friendly or a pre-season game against a side still gaining fitness are sufficient evidence of a player ready for the Championship.

A half arsed World Cup winning Argentina and Leipzig are still probably better than most championship teams.

We are so far removed from where we were summer 2018 now I’m not sure that should be a consideration in anyone’s thinking.

If we get an experienced CB great if not I’m very happy to start the season with Baggot in the mix.
Could Elkan Baggott on 13:57 - Jul 30 with 2068 viewsjayessess

Could Elkan Baggott on 12:54 - Jul 30 by Steve_M

By definition, for any young player to make the step up you've got to stick them in there on the basis of their promise at some point, don't you?

Might not be Baggott's time quite yet (and I think being LCB and therefore understudy for Burgess rather than Woolfenden probably counts against him) but you can't rule out promoting people like that on principle, because you'll never develop anyone.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Could Elkan Baggott on 20:42 - Jul 30 with 1839 viewsEatonBlue

Yes. Terry Butcher did it in the top division at age 19 or 20.
Could Elkan Baggott on 21:24 - Jul 30 with 1748 viewsVegtablue

Two of the Thai YouTube commenters said he's slow! 😬
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024