Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
We should get Downes in..... 08:03 - Jul 21 with 2392 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

.....to clean Sam's boots!! Morsey is the beating heart of our team and how it functions, we really need to keep him.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

We should get Downes in..... on 08:22 - Jul 21 with 2318 viewsStewart27

If we lost Morsy we’d already be significantly weaker than last season even with the additions.

He’s the beating heart.

Not irreplaceable though so there would need to be something huge lined up. Somebody in the Downes mould.
We should get Downes in..... on 08:24 - Jul 21 with 2304 viewsSaigonTractor

I really want to keep him, but if his head has been turned by the wages on offer then we need to bite the bullet and accept we cannot compete with oil state money.

Rinse them for a silly fee, then use the money to buy a younger replacement. I'll be gutted if Morsey leaves, but I have faith our scouting department has already been looking at potential successors given his age. Even if the time to move him on has come much faster than we've expected.
We should get Downes in..... on 08:35 - Jul 21 with 2240 viewsSenatorBlue

1 year on contract, I’d politely suggest an agent working up the best contract extension package he can get. 31 is probably his last “big one”. Then he can go to SA at around 33/34. He’s the beating heart of our team.
We should get Downes in..... on 08:53 - Jul 21 with 2105 viewsWestcountryblue

Flynn Downes wouldn't be a bad shout for 5-8m.

However, even at 32, i think Morsy still has 3 really good years in him. He's a model pro, stays injury free, doesn't drink (which helps) and is a massive leader, both on and off the pitch. Given his impact and the amount of points he's probably won for us, he deserves improved terms, if this is his agent trying to force the clubs hand.

If not, we need to charge the Saudis through the nose and get as much out of them as possible. You cannot replace a player like Morsy on the cheap without it having a significant impact on the squad.
We should get Downes in..... on 09:04 - Jul 21 with 2047 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

We should get Downes in..... on 08:53 - Jul 21 by Westcountryblue

Flynn Downes wouldn't be a bad shout for 5-8m.

However, even at 32, i think Morsy still has 3 really good years in him. He's a model pro, stays injury free, doesn't drink (which helps) and is a massive leader, both on and off the pitch. Given his impact and the amount of points he's probably won for us, he deserves improved terms, if this is his agent trying to force the clubs hand.

If not, we need to charge the Saudis through the nose and get as much out of them as possible. You cannot replace a player like Morsy on the cheap without it having a significant impact on the squad.

I think wages would be the big stumbling block with Downes.

The way the club is run now, I’d be very much surprised if they hadn’t conducted some continuity planning for Morsy given his age. We are so much more professionally run now, contrast that with the deadline day sale of Murphy with no time to replace.
We should get Downes in..... on 09:05 - Jul 21 with 2044 viewsWestcountryblue

We should get Downes in..... on 09:04 - Jul 21 by SuperKieranMcKenna

The way the club is run now, I’d be very much surprised if they hadn’t conducted some continuity planning for Morsy given his age. We are so much more professionally run now, contrast that with the deadline day sale of Murphy with no time to replace.

Agreed and agreed !
We should get Downes in..... on 09:52 - Jul 21 with 1871 viewsArnieM

Not sure why people keep banging on about Downes returning to Town. He didn’t want to play for us. He made that quite cheat when PL came calling. So why on earth would people think he’d return to a lower level now, when is at his boyhood club?

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

We should get Downes in..... on 09:53 - Jul 21 with 1858 viewsStewart27

We should get Downes in..... on 09:04 - Jul 21 by SuperKieranMcKenna

Hang on, hang on.

We got Leon Best to replace Murphy actually.

I’ve still got his poster on my wall.
Login to get fewer ads

We should get Downes in..... on 09:54 - Jul 21 with 1852 viewsSwansea_Blue

We should get Downes in..... on 09:52 - Jul 21 by ArnieM

Not sure why people keep banging on about Downes returning to Town. He didn’t want to play for us. He made that quite cheat when PL came calling. So why on earth would people think he’d return to a lower level now, when is at his boyhood club?

Probably because it looks like they want to move him on. I’d have thought he’d get another gig in the PL, but what do I know. I’d have him back in a shot if there was a chance. He’d be an upgrade on Morsy the player, but not Morsy the leader (I’d rather have both of them, but that would be ridiculous).
[Post edited 21 Jul 2023 9:55]

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

We should get Downes in..... on 09:58 - Jul 21 with 1827 viewsipswichtillidie

Won’t happen. Valued around 15million. Plus didn’t want to be here before which adds a different dimension anyway even if we could afford him…. Which we can but won’t pay that fee.

Gav

We should get Downes in..... on 09:58 - Jul 21 with 1826 viewsRimsy

We shouldn't let Sam go unless it's a silly fee. I don't get all this about Downes, he was here long enough and hardly tore up the league. Think we could do much better than him if Morsy was to go, not that I think he will.

BlueBlood

We should get Downes in..... on 09:59 - Jul 21 with 1813 viewsipswichtillidie

Couldn’t agree with this more. Loved him as a player but the purest in me knows he didn’t want to be here… he won’t come anyway and we won’t pay the fee so thankfully won’t be discussing this one again this summer
[Post edited 21 Jul 2023 10:00]

Gav

We should get Downes in..... on 10:00 - Jul 21 with 1811 viewsStokieBlue

We should get Downes in..... on 08:35 - Jul 21 by SenatorBlue

1 year on contract, I’d politely suggest an agent working up the best contract extension package he can get. 31 is probably his last “big one”. Then he can go to SA at around 33/34. He’s the beating heart of our team.

As confirmed by Phil and EADT, he's got 2 years on his contract.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

We should get Downes in..... on 10:01 - Jul 21 with 1801 viewsSwansea_Blue

We should get Downes in..... on 09:58 - Jul 21 by ipswichtillidie

Won’t happen. Valued around 15million. Plus didn’t want to be here before which adds a different dimension anyway even if we could afford him…. Which we can but won’t pay that fee.

This ‘he didn’t want to be here’ angle from a lot of people is pretty meaningless imo. They’re professionals and move to get on, same as any of us in our careers. He certainly seems well out of our reach though, financially and just our level.
[Post edited 21 Jul 2023 10:02]

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

We should get Downes in..... on 10:01 - Jul 21 with 1799 viewsthe_toff

We should get Downes in..... on 08:24 - Jul 21 by SaigonTractor

I really want to keep him, but if his head has been turned by the wages on offer then we need to bite the bullet and accept we cannot compete with oil state money.

Rinse them for a silly fee, then use the money to buy a younger replacement. I'll be gutted if Morsey leaves, but I have faith our scouting department has already been looking at potential successors given his age. Even if the time to move him on has come much faster than we've expected.

That is the other way of looking at it. We're probably 12-24 months out from needing a successor to Morsy anyway, maybe this would just expedite that but with the benefit of reddies in the pocket to throw at a good replacement.

Personally I hope he does stay though. Tomorrow never comes in football, we're best equipped for the season ahead with Morsy in the squad than not both from a football perspective but also his influence and all round standards he brings.
We should get Downes in..... on 10:15 - Jul 21 with 1700 viewsSaigonTractor

We should get Downes in..... on 09:58 - Jul 21 by ipswichtillidie

Do you remember the Evans era in League One? I barely wanted to be here. Don't blame him one bit for moving.
We should get Downes in..... on 11:29 - Jul 21 with 1582 viewsNeedhamChris

I agree the chances are unlikely....but if we lost Morsy and gained Downes I'd take that as a significant upgrade.

Poll: Was that the worst result in the clubs history?

We should get Downes in..... on 11:30 - Jul 21 with 1577 viewschicoazul

Can one of you come over here and punch me in the face really hard please

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

We should get Downes in..... on 11:57 - Jul 21 with 1500 viewsNaylorsrightboot

We should get Downes in..... on 11:29 - Jul 21 by NeedhamChris

I agree the chances are unlikely....but if we lost Morsy and gained Downes I'd take that as a significant upgrade.

What is the fuss with Downes? A) wet spam want around £15 million for him, which is way out of what we would pay. B) He never wanted to be here and made it quite clear. C) He never really looked that special when he played. D) He is no Sam Morsey. Has nowhere near the presence. If he leaves we need someone with Championship experience to come in. Sam is the main man in this team. Opposition teams won't be so worried about us if Sam isn't in the side. This really couldn't have come at a worse time.
We should get Downes in..... on 12:11 - Jul 21 with 1469 viewsitfcjoe

We should get Downes in..... on 11:57 - Jul 21 by Naylorsrightboot

What is the fuss with Downes? A) wet spam want around £15 million for him, which is way out of what we would pay. B) He never wanted to be here and made it quite clear. C) He never really looked that special when he played. D) He is no Sam Morsey. Has nowhere near the presence. If he leaves we need someone with Championship experience to come in. Sam is the main man in this team. Opposition teams won't be so worried about us if Sam isn't in the side. This really couldn't have come at a worse time.

A - No they don't
B - He wanted to leave when the club was an absolute mess, different team now
C - He was very good for us, and why he had so much interest in him
D - He has Championship experience, his last season there saw him earn a £10m move to the PL

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

We should get Downes in..... on 12:20 - Jul 21 with 1449 viewsChurchman

We should get Downes in..... on 10:01 - Jul 21 by Swansea_Blue

This ‘he didn’t want to be here’ angle from a lot of people is pretty meaningless imo. They’re professionals and move to get on, same as any of us in our careers. He certainly seems well out of our reach though, financially and just our level.
[Post edited 21 Jul 2023 10:02]

I understand what you are saying in that they’re professionals, move to get on etc, but I think there’s more to it than that.

The owners and CEO along with KM have made it crystal clear that they only want people here with the right attitude. They can be the worlds best player, but if they don’t buy in to what the club is doing on and off the field, they can look elsewhere. When I look at Chaplin, Morsy and others I see that.

When I think about Downes, would he buy into it? I don’t know because I don’t know him. But his attitude, body language etc in the last two years here told me, maybe incorrectly, that he wanted away. Fine, he’s a very good player and rightly looking after his career.

Personally, I’m happy for him to look after it elsewhere, assuming West Ham want rid of him, but as you say - it’s academic as he’s out of our reach financially anyway.
We should get Downes in..... on 12:41 - Jul 21 with 1413 viewsSenatorBlue

We should get Downes in..... on 10:00 - Jul 21 by StokieBlue

As confirmed by Phil and EADT, he's got 2 years on his contract.

SB

That’s great to hear SB, and also Sam spoke well on Talksport. The perfect leader for us on and off the pitch, and a great player to boot.
We should get Downes in..... on 13:34 - Jul 21 with 1335 viewsVegtablue

We should get Downes in..... on 11:57 - Jul 21 by Naylorsrightboot

Morsy's played in one good Championship squad in his long career and was let go. Hopefully this is his second and he'll be brilliant.

Downes may not be wanted by West Ham but they're a PL club with higher aspirations than survival. I think we're often guilty of forgetting the context in which players are performing.

I agree it's odd he keeps being mentioned mind, given he's earning good money at his dream club and has never suggested he would like to play for us again. His previous time here feels a negative on paper to any deal being realized.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024