Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
House Buying Question 19:34 - Jul 19 with 2626 viewsHorsham

Hello, beg for wisdom.

I’m buying a house at the moment and it turns out the land registry does not match the fence line around the property, which potentially means my new neighbour can claim I have made an incursion onto their land. It probably equates to about 10% of the garden including a small brick built shed.

I’m minded to reduce my offer but frankly it seems pretty subjective as to how much. Any ideas or thoughts appreciated!
House Buying Question on 19:40 - Jul 19 with 2568 viewsLord_Lucan

I love it when people ask TW4TDERs about house buying questions, building extensions and stuff like that.

I mean, It's due diligence gone mad.

It's not like the potential hazard is just a bit of Delhi Belly from the local takeaway is it!

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

House Buying Question on 19:49 - Jul 19 with 2516 viewslowhouseblue

get the seller to provide insurance in respect of any future boundary dispute. and get statements as to how long it has been as it is. and take the advise of your lawyer / conveyancer.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

House Buying Question on 19:50 - Jul 19 with 2515 viewsronnyd

If you are happy with the price you are paying, just offer to purchase the the parcel of land from your soon to be neighbour.
Had a similar thing when my parents bungalow was sold. There was a small parcel of land on the deeds that the purchasers solicitors queried , which seemed to have disappeared. Had to inform them that it had been washed away over the years by the river Stour.
House Buying Question on 20:11 - Jul 19 with 2456 viewsfactual_blue

If the current owner has had the boundary where it is for over 12 years, I think the neighbour no longer has a claim to ask for the boundary to be moved, but worth getting it checked.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

House Buying Question on 20:37 - Jul 19 with 2386 viewsGavTWTD

You don't want any bad will with the new neighbour. I had a similar problem whereby my garden wasn't attached to the house at all. Your solicitor will know what to do. It will add 6 months to your planned exchange date, so be warned if you go that route.

If you liked my post, please take the time to upvote it. It's very much appreciated.
Poll: Will you watch the Championship Play-Off Final?
Blog: Man v Fat Football - A Personal Blog

House Buying Question on 21:46 - Jul 19 with 2251 viewsHorsham

Thanks All, food for thought. Appreciated. Maybe apart from being call tw4t.
House Buying Question on 21:47 - Jul 19 with 2244 viewsDJR

House Buying Question on 20:11 - Jul 19 by factual_blue

If the current owner has had the boundary where it is for over 12 years, I think the neighbour no longer has a claim to ask for the boundary to be moved, but worth getting it checked.

This is what is known as "adverse possession".

https://www.lawble.co.uk/adverse-possession/

And of course if the 10 or 12 year period hasn't yet passed, it could do in due course if you hang on to it the property for long enough.

The other possibility is the land in question was not knowingly owned by anyone, and so claimed by your vendor or a predecessor; as happened in the case of no man's land alongside my parents' house in Felixstowe where the adjoining owners all extended their gardens. But again adverse possession will come into player

As this is a legal issue, I would suggest you get the advice of your solicitor as the the legal position.

As regards knocking money off the purchase price, if the land isn't actually owned by the vendor and so they aren't really selling you the disputed land, I would be inclined to ask for the cost of having to, say, remove the shed and put up boundary fencing in the right position, were you to be asked to do so. Maybe £1K or £2 would be an appropriate amount but once again your solicitor may have views on this.
[Post edited 19 Jul 2023 21:50]
House Buying Question on 21:51 - Jul 19 with 2214 viewsHorsham

House Buying Question on 21:47 - Jul 19 by DJR

This is what is known as "adverse possession".

https://www.lawble.co.uk/adverse-possession/

And of course if the 10 or 12 year period hasn't yet passed, it could do in due course if you hang on to it the property for long enough.

The other possibility is the land in question was not knowingly owned by anyone, and so claimed by your vendor or a predecessor; as happened in the case of no man's land alongside my parents' house in Felixstowe where the adjoining owners all extended their gardens. But again adverse possession will come into player

As this is a legal issue, I would suggest you get the advice of your solicitor as the the legal position.

As regards knocking money off the purchase price, if the land isn't actually owned by the vendor and so they aren't really selling you the disputed land, I would be inclined to ask for the cost of having to, say, remove the shed and put up boundary fencing in the right position, were you to be asked to do so. Maybe £1K or £2 would be an appropriate amount but once again your solicitor may have views on this.
[Post edited 19 Jul 2023 21:50]

Thanks that’s good and informed advice.
Login to get fewer ads

House Buying Question on 23:24 - Jul 19 with 2073 viewsNutkins_Return

Have you actually checked who owns it. Had this happen to us when selling. It turned out small parcel of land in garden was owned by power company and they held it and were on theory able to put a tiny sub power station thing in it...was a nightmare. Anyway ended up after a few months able to buy it for about £4-5k and sold. Buyers wouldn't buy it until sorted (understandably). Could have been a nightmare.
House Buying Question on 23:36 - Jul 19 with 2046 viewsHorsham

House Buying Question on 23:24 - Jul 19 by Nutkins_Return

Have you actually checked who owns it. Had this happen to us when selling. It turned out small parcel of land in garden was owned by power company and they held it and were on theory able to put a tiny sub power station thing in it...was a nightmare. Anyway ended up after a few months able to buy it for about £4-5k and sold. Buyers wouldn't buy it until sorted (understandably). Could have been a nightmare.

Cheers. Yeah, it’s owned by the neighbour. It’s a bit weird all round as the whole row of houses seem a little of kilter with the land registry. It’s the first ‘interesting’ house I’ve tried to buy (since the last one). River at the bottom of the garden and some sort of feudal ownership of that. I’ve not even mentioned that as I’ve made my peace with that!
House Buying Question on 09:07 - Jul 20 with 1860 viewsArnoldMoorhen

House Buying Question on 23:36 - Jul 19 by Horsham

Cheers. Yeah, it’s owned by the neighbour. It’s a bit weird all round as the whole row of houses seem a little of kilter with the land registry. It’s the first ‘interesting’ house I’ve tried to buy (since the last one). River at the bottom of the garden and some sort of feudal ownership of that. I’ve not even mentioned that as I’ve made my peace with that!

Have you looked at projected Sea level rises and what that might do to the river at the bottom of the garden in the next 20 years?

Personally I would step away with those two intangibles against it.
House Buying Question on 09:14 - Jul 20 with 1843 viewsZx1988

Assuming that your local market is similar to the general state of the UK-wide market at the moment, it's a buyer's market and you have the whip hand.

If they're trying to sell land that doesn't belong to them, it's something that's going to be picked up by any vaguely competent conveyancing solicitor. It's not like it's an issue with the decor, or a smaller defect that some buyers might be willing to accept, and others will quibble over. Chances are that most mortgage lenders would also take an interest in this particular situation, so it's unlikely that the vendors would find success should they opt to take a chance with a different buyer.

From a valuation point of view, I would approach this in the same way as if I was advising a client faced with having found damp, structural movement, or any other defect in a potential purchase. I would suggest that the appropriate discount to seek would be equivalent to the cost of rectifying the situation (i.e. moving the boundary back to its proper position, and undoing any 'damage' to the neighbour's land such as the shed), plus perhaps a small consideration on top for the time and effort required to undertake such an exercise.

Not knowing the size and nature of the garden itself, a 10% reduction in size shouldn't make any difference to the value of the property, but it will all depend on the local market and whether there's any evidence that small changes in garden size influence the value of a property. Likewise, if the rest of the garden is poor and this 10% is the best and most useable bit, then this would also make a difference.
[Post edited 20 Jul 2023 9:17]

Poll: Stone Island - immediate associations

House Buying Question on 09:28 - Jul 20 with 1811 viewsKeno

Do you know when the house and your neighbours house were last sold? that may have a bearing on the issues of possessory titles

Talk this through with your solicitor and see what they say

Poll: Where will be finish next season
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

House Buying Question on 09:47 - Jul 20 with 1763 viewsWeekender

Hi Horsham

I am a surveyor and regularly deal with boundary disputes. Also live not too far from Horsham in Sussex (assuming that the origin of your username). Happy to try and help.

The title plan I believe you are referring to is only a guide to the relationship of parcels of land and unlikely to be accurate enough to describe the legal boundary. It will be based on OS mapping which has inherent inaccuracies. If you can find it the originating conveyance is the document you need. this is the conveyance when the property was first formed. If you are lucky there may be a plan appended describing the legal boundary position.

Poll: What's your HONEST opinion of nodge fans?
Blog: [Blog] The Curse of the Modern Football Fan.

House Buying Question on 09:53 - Jul 20 with 1741 viewsDJR

House Buying Question on 09:07 - Jul 20 by ArnoldMoorhen

Have you looked at projected Sea level rises and what that might do to the river at the bottom of the garden in the next 20 years?

Personally I would step away with those two intangibles against it.

Sea level rises are unlikely to be an issue unless near the coast, but it would be worth checking the flood risk on the Environment Agency website.

I say that as someone with a stream towards the edge of my property, although as I own the land under the stream, I can (as the previous owner did) legally pump up to 20 square meters of water for use on my garden when there is a hosepipe ban.

This comes under what are known as riparian rights.

https://iow.gov.uk/azservices/documents/2821-Riparian-Rights-Explained.pdf#:~:te

Personally, I wouldn't let the boundary issue put you off.
[Post edited 20 Jul 2023 17:01]
House Buying Question on 12:31 - Jul 20 with 1626 viewsHorsham

House Buying Question on 09:28 - Jul 20 by Keno

Do you know when the house and your neighbours house were last sold? that may have a bearing on the issues of possessory titles

Talk this through with your solicitor and see what they say

Cheers, on it! Thank you sir.
House Buying Question on 12:33 - Jul 20 with 1616 viewsHorsham

House Buying Question on 09:47 - Jul 20 by Weekender

Hi Horsham

I am a surveyor and regularly deal with boundary disputes. Also live not too far from Horsham in Sussex (assuming that the origin of your username). Happy to try and help.

The title plan I believe you are referring to is only a guide to the relationship of parcels of land and unlikely to be accurate enough to describe the legal boundary. It will be based on OS mapping which has inherent inaccuracies. If you can find it the originating conveyance is the document you need. this is the conveyance when the property was first formed. If you are lucky there may be a plan appended describing the legal boundary position.

Thanks Weekender

I think I am getting somewhere with the land registry. I may yet ask some direct questions which you are more than entitled to not answer:)

Btw I may have to approach Gav for a user name but not sure I like the sound of Pulborough!
House Buying Question on 15:28 - Jul 20 with 1539 viewsWeekender

House Buying Question on 12:33 - Jul 20 by Horsham

Thanks Weekender

I think I am getting somewhere with the land registry. I may yet ask some direct questions which you are more than entitled to not answer:)

Btw I may have to approach Gav for a user name but not sure I like the sound of Pulborough!

No worries, just send me a direct message if needs be.

Poll: What's your HONEST opinion of nodge fans?
Blog: [Blog] The Curse of the Modern Football Fan.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024