Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
On the huh 09:11 - Jun 11 with 8104 viewsMerthyrblue

Recently I've been irritating my (non-Suffolk) partner by using the phrase "on the huh" at every appropriate opportunity. Really annoys her. Any other Suffolk phrases used that irritate their partners?
On the huh on 11:18 - Jul 26 with 727 viewsGunnsAirkick

On the huh on 10:36 - Jun 11 by le2blue

‘I’m on the drag’ is a favourite of mine, especially in public places.

I didn't even realise this was a Suffolk thing until the other day, I've used it all my life. People not from here must wonder what on earth I'm talking about.
On the huh on 11:19 - Jul 26 with 727 viewsMerthyrblue

On the huh on 06:01 - Jul 26 by IPS_wich

Same - had no idea 'on the drag' was a Suffolk phrase until I went to Uni up north and everyone (northerners, southerners, brummies, scots and welsh) all said they had no idea what I was going on about. Even mates from Essex and Norfolk had no idea.

My Dad isn't that much of a Suffolk old boy in terms of his accent, other than pronouncing 'u' as 'oo' (fooneral, compooter) and the end of every day as a 'dee' (Mondee, Thursdee) or the wonderful combination which I still think of as the most Suffolk pronunciation ever that is 'Toosdee' - yet when my wife met him for the first time her mind was blown by his accent (I guess I didn't really have one - most friends at Uni when they first met me thought I was Australian!!. I did have to point out to her that as a Geordie she had no right to scoff at other people's accents.

Same issue. My (ex) wife couldn't understand a word my Dad said.
On the huh on 11:26 - Jul 26 with 713 viewsGunnsAirkick

My favourite from family is my Nan, she greets us by saying "Are you alright there together?" My wife wondered what she was talking about first time they met and she's only from Norwich.

Apart from some already mentioned I really like "cor-teh-hike" (I'm not sure if that's written down correctly, but my Grandad used to use it a lot to express surprise, usually when something was too expensive!) Me and my wife both use rum or rummen a lot, so that might be East Anglian rather than just Suffolk.
[Post edited 26 Jul 2023 11:27]
On the huh on 11:30 - Jul 26 with 704 viewsGunnsAirkick

Another one I've thought of which confuses my wife, pronuciation of the word "fella" which sounds more light "fullah" in Suffolk, has anyone noticed that?

In conversation sounds like "Are you alroight fullah?"
On the huh on 11:32 - Jul 26 with 701 viewsemergencylime

I think "Gawn down the street" to refer to popping into town/to the shops (high street) could be local.
Is not used by the Lancashire side of my family, and they were previously unfamiliar with it.

Poll: Another Tragical Vegas poll. Would you rather?

On the huh on 12:44 - Jul 26 with 672 viewsSacrebleu

That'll 'larn' ya.

Not bad English meaning learn but Anglo Saxon / Germanic meaning teach.
On the huh on 14:37 - Jul 26 with 639 viewsTerra_Farma

'Shew' instead of show.

Used to drive my wife potty - divorce is still going through
On the huh on 14:42 - Jul 26 with 638 viewsTerra_Farma

On the huh on 14:37 - Jul 26 by Terra_Farma

'Shew' instead of show.

Used to drive my wife potty - divorce is still going through

'soft as lights'

How my Nan used to describe Des O' Connor - she always said 'that man is as soft as lights'
Login to get fewer ads

On the huh on 14:57 - Jul 26 with 636 viewsYou_Bloo_Right

On the huh on 12:44 - Jul 26 by Sacrebleu

That'll 'larn' ya.

Not bad English meaning learn but Anglo Saxon / Germanic meaning teach.

Poll: Are this group of ITFC players the best squad in the division?

On the huh on 16:32 - Jul 26 with 604 viewsMerthyrblue

On the huh on 11:26 - Jul 26 by GunnsAirkick

My favourite from family is my Nan, she greets us by saying "Are you alright there together?" My wife wondered what she was talking about first time they met and she's only from Norwich.

Apart from some already mentioned I really like "cor-teh-hike" (I'm not sure if that's written down correctly, but my Grandad used to use it a lot to express surprise, usually when something was too expensive!) Me and my wife both use rum or rummen a lot, so that might be East Anglian rather than just Suffolk.
[Post edited 26 Jul 2023 11:27]

My Dad said "cor teh hell" to similar effect
On the huh on 16:48 - Jul 26 with 591 viewsDinDjarin

On the huh on 14:57 - Jul 26 by You_Bloo_Right

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024