Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Book recommendations for holidays. 23:14 - May 24 with 1970 viewsMattinLondon

Am wondering whether anyone can recommend good books for me as I’m off on my holidays soon.

I’m looking for books that contain a lot of dark humour - doesn’t have to be laugh out loud every page, but more than just one page of funny. I’m open to plot so hopefully that won’t narrow down things too much.

Thanks.
Book recommendations for holidays. on 23:20 - May 24 with 1933 viewsBlueBadger

Pretty much everything in the Discworld series from 'Wyrd Sisters' onwards but notably 'Small Gods', 'Monstrous Regiment' and 'The Truth' as their a bit more standalone. In a similar vein 'Good Omens' - some of the references have dated a bit but it's a lot of fun.
[Post edited 24 May 2023 23:34]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Book recommendations for holidays. on 23:53 - May 24 with 1899 viewsFreddies_Ears

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hundred-Year-Old-Man-Climbed-Window-Disappeared-ebook/d
Book recommendations for holidays. on 00:04 - May 25 with 1890 viewsIllinoisblue

John Niven.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Book recommendations for holidays. on 00:25 - May 25 with 1879 viewsLord_Lucan

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Boris-Johnson-Gambler-Tom-Bower/dp/0753554909

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Book recommendations for holidays. on 06:18 - May 25 with 1801 viewsnodge_blue

I read a bunch of Tom Sharpe books many years ago which I found pretty funny at the time. Not sure how they've aged down the years.

I suppose Catch 22 has plenty of dark humour. As do other Joseph Heller novels.

Poll: best attacking central midfielder?

Book recommendations for holidays. on 06:53 - May 25 with 1771 viewsPendejo

Filth - Irvine Welsh

Funny until you realise it could be the biography of a current serving MET officer based on recent events.

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Book recommendations for holidays. on 07:17 - May 25 with 1755 viewsMattinLondon

Thank you for all of the recommendations- not sure about the Boris one though.
Book recommendations for holidays. on 07:57 - May 25 with 1701 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

Unreliable Memoirs by Clive James.

Read it several times, always on holidays, very interesting and funny.

Pour Me by AA Gill or any of his travel stuff. Dark humour at times and brilliantly written.
[Post edited 25 May 2023 7:59]

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

Login to get fewer ads

Book recommendations for holidays. on 08:16 - May 25 with 1642 viewsrealprojection

You could try my recently published book - Dark Swans
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0BWNFCMKB/

It's a technothriller laced with cynicism about corporate life. It's also full of oblique references to Ipswich Town.

Blog: Desperate Data – the Extreme Numbers That Defined Ipswich Town’s Dismal Season

Book recommendations for holidays. on 08:31 - May 25 with 1616 viewsitfcjoe

Kill Your Friends by John Niven

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Book recommendations for holidays. on 08:45 - May 25 with 1598 viewsghostofescobar

Book recommendations for holidays. on 00:25 - May 25 by Lord_Lucan

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Boris-Johnson-Gambler-Tom-Bower/dp/0753554909

Currently reading "Johnson at 10: The Inside Story" by Anthony Seldon & Raymond Newell. Scary, infuriating, exasperating......some of it is hardly believable, except that you can remember the events from the recent past!

GhostOfEscobar

Book recommendations for holidays. on 09:09 - May 25 with 1566 viewsjontysnut

Book recommendations for holidays. on 08:31 - May 25 by itfcjoe

John Niven seconded. Also Elmore Leonard and Carl Hiasson. Frankie Boyle's recent novel Meantime. Craig Russell's Lennox books.
Book recommendations for holidays. on 09:14 - May 25 with 1555 viewsLord_Lucan

Book recommendations for holidays. on 08:45 - May 25 by ghostofescobar

Currently reading "Johnson at 10: The Inside Story" by Anthony Seldon & Raymond Newell. Scary, infuriating, exasperating......some of it is hardly believable, except that you can remember the events from the recent past!

The bloke who wrote that has just been on the radio.

Seems like he has a massive agenda to be honest.

I would recommend you read the book I suggested, it is well balanced

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Book recommendations for holidays. on 09:29 - May 25 with 1529 viewsMattinLondon

Book recommendations for holidays. on 08:31 - May 25 by itfcjoe

I’ve already read that and quite liked it. I also read another of his - one when Jesus is resurrected. Didn’t like it as much but was good.
Book recommendations for holidays. on 10:03 - May 25 with 1515 viewsGuthrum

Old, but a classic scathing satire of people and society - William Thackeray's Vanity Fair.

Stream of consciousness and zany characters from the 18th century - Laurence Sterne The Life And Opinions Of Tristram Shandy, Gentleman. (Which I've just discovered Martin Rowson produced a graphic novel version of)
[Post edited 25 May 2023 10:05]

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Book recommendations for holidays. on 10:26 - May 25 with 1488 viewsitfcjoe

Book recommendations for holidays. on 09:29 - May 25 by MattinLondon

I’ve already read that and quite liked it. I also read another of his - one when Jesus is resurrected. Didn’t like it as much but was good.

There is a follow up with same character and a Michael Jackson type popstar called 'Kill Em All', plus a Trump style US politic book called The F*cck It List and both are good reads if you liked the first one

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

The Biggest Secret - David Icke (n/t) on 10:34 - May 25 with 1475 viewsBloots

Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Elite Level Human

Book recommendations for holidays. on 12:45 - May 25 with 1399 viewsSaleAway

You might enjoy the Logan Mcrae series by Stuart Macbride. They are police procedurals based in Aberdeen. They are a little bit over the top in terms of the body and splatter count, but there's some good dark humour in the interactions of the police teams.

Poll: Which is less impressive?
Blog: Phoenix From the Flames

Book recommendations for holidays. on 13:09 - May 25 with 1382 viewsBlueBadger

Book recommendations for holidays. on 09:14 - May 25 by Lord_Lucan

The bloke who wrote that has just been on the radio.

Seems like he has a massive agenda to be honest.

I would recommend you read the book I suggested, it is well balanced

A book pointing out that Johnson is bigoted, corrupt, narcissistic, criminally inclined, lazy and incompetent IS balanced, because it's looked at all the available evidence and come to that conclusion.

That's what balance IS.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Book recommendations for holidays. on 08:57 - May 27 with 1197 viewsDubai_Blue

If you have a Kindle, look for John Locke - Donovan Creed series on amazon. Or any of his other books
Book recommendations for holidays. on 10:12 - May 27 with 1157 viewsiamatractorboy

This one sounds like a good read...

https://www.wsc.co.uk/the-archive/no-love-no-joy/
Book recommendations for holidays. on 12:21 - May 27 with 1119 viewsLegendofthePhoenix

Soccernomics

Poll: would you rather

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024