Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
KM not rumoured for Saints job 09:39 - May 15 with 5991 viewsglasso

Obviously I'm happy about it, but with people like Rooney and Schumacher on the shortlist for the Saints job, I wonder why KM isn't being discussed?

Reckon it's because he and the club have made it clear he's not available? You've got to think if there was a chance, a club like Southampton would consider him.
KM not rumoured for Saints job on 09:41 - May 15 with 4630 viewsSomethingBlue

I'm sure they'd be interested but it wouldn't really be a big enough step up for him. We start next season in the same division, with momentum and strongly resourced, and ultimately the clubs have similar size and potential. The leap from Plymouth to Saints is a much more pronounced one.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

KM not rumoured for Saints job on 09:43 - May 15 with 4581 viewsyorkshireblue

Rumours are just rumours. noone knows that is going on behind closed doors. He could very well be their first choice, or he might be their 50th... how many people linked McKenna to us before he joned?
KM not rumoured for Saints job on 09:46 - May 15 with 4545 viewsJ2BLUE

Who cares? Let's just be grateful.

Although I don't think he would leave anyway. He was very clear he wanted the right fit for his first job. He has credit in the bank here and will be well backed. To risk the reputation he has built up to go to another club would be madness. Even if he stays here until he is 40 he's going to have a couple of decades at the top of the game.

Not wishing to tempt fate but I don't see any overlap between where he would go and clubs who would want him at this stage. In 1-2 seasons i'm sure he will be being linked with every mid table Prem job out there and we will lose him but can't see it happening now.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

KM not rumoured for Saints job on 09:46 - May 15 with 4544 viewsclive_baker

All things being equal I'm sure they would be interested in him, but there's going to be an element of clubs knowing he'll be tough to prize away. I don't think a fellow Championship club is remotely likely as a next destination for him.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

KM not rumoured for Saints job on 09:51 - May 15 with 4449 viewsglasso

KM not rumoured for Saints job on 09:46 - May 15 by clive_baker

All things being equal I'm sure they would be interested in him, but there's going to be an element of clubs knowing he'll be tough to prize away. I don't think a fellow Championship club is remotely likely as a next destination for him.

Good!

I hope the club is giving off massive 'f**k off' vibes!
KM not rumoured for Saints job on 09:59 - May 15 with 4355 viewsNeedhamChris

I think a lot of this will also be helped when the club deservedly offer him a new deal.

His agent must be earning his keep at the moment with all the interviews generating wider exposure. Hoping that results in a better deal for KM here and not a move elsewhere.

Poll: Was that the worst result in the clubs history?

KM not rumoured for Saints job on 10:25 - May 15 with 4235 viewsPhilTWTD

KM not rumoured for Saints job on 09:41 - May 15 by SomethingBlue

I'm sure they'd be interested but it wouldn't really be a big enough step up for him. We start next season in the same division, with momentum and strongly resourced, and ultimately the clubs have similar size and potential. The leap from Plymouth to Saints is a much more pronounced one.

Wouldn't he be seen as a little too inexperienced anyway? If I were Southampton's owners I'd feel I'd not want to appoint someone without any experience above League One as a manager as if it didn't work out they'd get a lot of stick for such a decision, particularly after the Nathan Jones disaster.
Hoppy... on 10:27 - May 15 with 4194 viewsblueasfook

KM not rumoured for Saints job on 10:25 - May 15 by PhilTWTD

Wouldn't he be seen as a little too inexperienced anyway? If I were Southampton's owners I'd feel I'd not want to appoint someone without any experience above League One as a manager as if it didn't work out they'd get a lot of stick for such a decision, particularly after the Nathan Jones disaster.

Shall I do the Nathan Jones joke or you?

Elite Poster. TWTD Hottest Poster (1999, 2000, 2001).
Poll: How do you think season will end for us?

Login to get fewer ads

KM not rumoured for Saints job on 10:36 - May 15 with 4111 viewsSimonds92

I think someone like Brighton could be the bigger concern, we play a similar style of football and we know the club is run on analytics, I would imagine McKenna is certainly on their list of lined up replacements. You can imagine someone like Tottenham going for De Zerbi.
[Post edited 15 May 2023 10:38]
KM not rumoured for Saints job on 10:37 - May 15 with 4089 viewsKieran_Knows

KM not rumoured for Saints job on 09:46 - May 15 by clive_baker

If it was Southampton from 3-4 years ago who had a similar model to Brighton and Brentford, I'd have said we were in trouble.

Not now though, they're a basket case of a club.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Russell Martin I reckon. (n/t) on 10:38 - May 15 with 4076 viewsBloots

Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Elite Level Human

KM not rumoured for Saints job on 10:39 - May 15 with 4068 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

This was my thinking. As much as we love him, as brilliant as the football is, and as well as he's done getting us up, to the outside world he's had one full season as a manager, and at League 1 level.

The wider (and especially higher) football world don't see that as much to write home about from inside their own football bubbles. I was at a mate's birthday yesterday (a Liverpool supporter) and when I mentioned we'd scored 101 goals he said, "Yeah, but in League 1." We, and McKenna, are not that big a deal (yet).

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

KM not rumoured for Saints job on 10:42 - May 15 with 4024 viewshomer_123

KM not rumoured for Saints job on 10:36 - May 15 by Simonds92

I think someone like Brighton could be the bigger concern, we play a similar style of football and we know the club is run on analytics, I would imagine McKenna is certainly on their list of lined up replacements. You can imagine someone like Tottenham going for De Zerbi.

But you can't see De Zerbi going for Tottenham.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

KM not rumoured for Saints job on 10:42 - May 15 with 4025 viewsclive_baker

Palace possibly? Given Roy is only there until the end of the season. They took a bit of a punt on Vieira though and that didn't quite work, so perhaps they'll look for a more tried and tested manager next. West Ham if Moyes moves on?

Realistically there's only a handful of clubs that I would worry about. He won't leave for a Championship club and most PL teams won't be looking at him.

KM not rumoured for Saints job on 10:48 - May 15 with 3972 viewsMattinLondon

I suppose if you were outside the Ipswich bubble you’ll probably see a young promising manager who has achieved promotion with a club that has a large budget for L1. Many will probably see next season as a truer test of KMs ability.

On the side, KM comes across as an intelligent who knows that he has the financial backing of the owners as well as the backing of the fans. He is ambitious, without a doubt, but I doubt if he’ll leave for clubs that are struggling in the PL - this season or next.
KM not rumoured for Saints job on 10:51 - May 15 with 3945 viewstextbackup

Soton will expect to go up first time of asking

They wouldnt want to waste a season banking on a a bloke that only finished second in league 1 taking them up…

😎

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

KM not rumoured for Saints job on 11:08 - May 15 with 3893 viewsHighgateBlue

KM not rumoured for Saints job on 10:39 - May 15 by The_Flashing_Smile

This was my thinking. As much as we love him, as brilliant as the football is, and as well as he's done getting us up, to the outside world he's had one full season as a manager, and at League 1 level.

The wider (and especially higher) football world don't see that as much to write home about from inside their own football bubbles. I was at a mate's birthday yesterday (a Liverpool supporter) and when I mentioned we'd scored 101 goals he said, "Yeah, but in League 1." We, and McKenna, are not that big a deal (yet).

Yes it's good that KMac is still slightly under the radar or dismissed. In objective terms, we have a massive fanbase, had one of the very biggest budgets in league one, and didn't win the league. To the outside world it looks unremarkable maybe. But I think anyone who has seen us play for the last few months will know that we ended up being simply too good for League One, and McKenna has evolved us and transformed us gradually. Great coaching, great recruitment, great philosophy. He will surely be in the Premier League in the next 3 years or so. I just hope it's with us.
KM not rumoured for Saints job on 11:15 - May 15 with 3819 viewsfarkenhell

KM not rumoured for Saints job on 09:46 - May 15 by J2BLUE

Who cares? Let's just be grateful.

Although I don't think he would leave anyway. He was very clear he wanted the right fit for his first job. He has credit in the bank here and will be well backed. To risk the reputation he has built up to go to another club would be madness. Even if he stays here until he is 40 he's going to have a couple of decades at the top of the game.

Not wishing to tempt fate but I don't see any overlap between where he would go and clubs who would want him at this stage. In 1-2 seasons i'm sure he will be being linked with every mid table Prem job out there and we will lose him but can't see it happening now.

Oi - in 1-2 seasons (well, 2 seasons), we'll be above mid-table Premier League ourselves!
KM not rumoured for Saints job on 11:30 - May 15 with 3717 viewsxrayspecs

Brighton would be looking for more experience/track record.

De Zerbi has ten years of management experience and at a higher level than KM, and has been very successful in recent roles. KM is still a rookie.
KM not rumoured for Saints job on 12:41 - May 15 with 3516 viewsPlums

KM not rumoured for Saints job on 10:51 - May 15 by textbackup

Soton will expect to go up first time of asking

They wouldnt want to waste a season banking on a a bloke that only finished second in league 1 taking them up…

😎

Announce Schumacher!

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

KM not rumoured for Saints job on 13:44 - May 15 with 3359 viewsBigCommon

KM not rumoured for Saints job on 10:39 - May 15 by The_Flashing_Smile

Agree... There'll be quite a few ahead of KM on any long list, atm.... I recon Carrick gets a mention before KM does... Could be different by Christmas, if we're sitting pretty in The Championship.
KM not rumoured for Saints job on 14:48 - May 15 with 3175 viewsclive_baker

KM not rumoured for Saints job on 11:08 - May 15 by HighgateBlue

Yes it's good that KMac is still slightly under the radar or dismissed. In objective terms, we have a massive fanbase, had one of the very biggest budgets in league one, and didn't win the league. To the outside world it looks unremarkable maybe. But I think anyone who has seen us play for the last few months will know that we ended up being simply too good for League One, and McKenna has evolved us and transformed us gradually. Great coaching, great recruitment, great philosophy. He will surely be in the Premier League in the next 3 years or so. I just hope it's with us.

Issue is it's not the outside world that are responsible for recruiting managers into managerial positions at football clubs. There won't be a CEO of a club in the country that isn't well aware of KM, his pedigree, and the work he's done with us. He's hot property.

The 'project' here is exciting though and not one that many clubs would be able to claim to be true, especially at Championship level. There's probably 5 or 6 clubs that we're potentially at risk from right now and they're the lower PL clubs that might roll the dice on someone like McKenna. I wouldn't rule out West Ham if Moyes moves on, although Carrick is probably more logical for them. Leeds if they stay up might be hard to turn down as well, presumably they wouldn't give it to Big Sam longer term.

KM not rumoured for Saints job on 14:51 - May 15 with 3166 viewsaardvaark

KM not rumoured for Saints job on 10:42 - May 15 by homer_123

But you can't see De Zerbi going for Tottenham.

I can.

Poll: When, not if, will Jewell go?

KM not rumoured for Saints job on 14:54 - May 15 with 3155 viewsPhilTWTD

KM not rumoured for Saints job on 14:48 - May 15 by clive_baker

Issue is it's not the outside world that are responsible for recruiting managers into managerial positions at football clubs. There won't be a CEO of a club in the country that isn't well aware of KM, his pedigree, and the work he's done with us. He's hot property.

The 'project' here is exciting though and not one that many clubs would be able to claim to be true, especially at Championship level. There's probably 5 or 6 clubs that we're potentially at risk from right now and they're the lower PL clubs that might roll the dice on someone like McKenna. I wouldn't rule out West Ham if Moyes moves on, although Carrick is probably more logical for them. Leeds if they stay up might be hard to turn down as well, presumably they wouldn't give it to Big Sam longer term.

Not sure Premier League clubs recruit from League One, which is effectively what they would be doing, despite KMc's Premier League experience as a first-team coach. I think it's too much of a risk for CEOs if it goes wrong, they'd be left with too much egg on their face for recruiting from this level.

I think we're OK for a little while yet as Championship clubs probably can't offer too much more in terms of progression than we can.
KM not rumoured for Saints job on 15:07 - May 15 with 3098 viewsclive_baker

KM not rumoured for Saints job on 14:54 - May 15 by PhilTWTD

Not sure Premier League clubs recruit from League One, which is effectively what they would be doing, despite KMc's Premier League experience as a first-team coach. I think it's too much of a risk for CEOs if it goes wrong, they'd be left with too much egg on their face for recruiting from this level.

I think we're OK for a little while yet as Championship clubs probably can't offer too much more in terms of progression than we can.

Typically they don't, but I don't think KM is typical of a League 1 manager with regards to his pedigree, age, and reputation within the industry. I think also, slowly but surely, clubs are and will continue to look away from the more conventional "ex. top player" recruitment that is becoming increasingly less fashionable over here. It's a path that's been well proven now especially outside of Britain. Even here the success of Thomas Frank, De Zerbi, Emery to a degree are proving the merit of being more open minded. That's probably accelerated by the routine failures of Lampard and Co.

I do think we're already exposed to that from a very select few clubs who might have the conviction to roll the dice with a McKenna. If not now, we certainly could be as soon as 10-15 games into next season if we start fast and the silliness of PL sackings start to kick off.

Agree re. Championship clubs, I don't see any value in a move like that for KM. Might as well have a crack at the level with us as move elsewhere.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024