Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Whatever the reason, we are throwing it away. 20:46 - Feb 11 with 1276 views3_5_2

I have to question the mentality of the players both today and last week v Cambs.

Last week were bloody abject in the first half, looking like we just needed to turn up because we are ITFC, think we are better than we actually are. Better 2nd half but never looked like winning it.

Today, in a huge game in which you think the tackles would be going in, pressing the ball etc we just did not turn up and even when getting a pen against the run of play, that miss saw us almost collapse. The miss at 2-0 was huge (from yet another defensive mistake)

Great free kick and 5 minutes before half time when the players put the intensity into the game which should be standard if we are serious about promotion.

Better 2nd half where the main difference was the effort from everyone which just wasn’t there beforehand.

Talent is not enough, especially in this league, you have to earn the right to play and that means being up for the game, which we haven’t been on so many occasions recently

[Post edited 11 Feb 2023 20:48]

Hindsight is always 20:20
Poll: Which system should we play?

Whatever the reason, we are throwing it away. on 20:52 - Feb 11 with 1205 viewsTractorWood

The squad is quality and we defo had extended spells of excellence against both Plymouth and Wednesday.

As you imply I just don't see that belief that they are the best team in the league. No swagger, lots of fear in the last 10 minutes when we do lead and huge defensive frailty.

I see lots of victim complex on here about refereeing, injuries. Even some people blaming the pitch. If we don't go up this season, we literally just have our bottle to blame imo.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Whatever the reason, we are throwing it away. on 20:57 - Feb 11 with 1182 viewspointofblue

Everyone’s to blame but the manager. But he’s the one who decided to name a defensive unit who had never played together before against arguably the best team in the division. He’s the one who watched on as both full backs bomb on at the same time leave the centre backs exposed in the first half. He’s the one who decided to take out an in form Ladapo and play Hirst (not that Hirst did badly). He’s the one who also oversaw a complete mess in the first half at Cambridge.

We bang on about the players mentality, and something being wrong on the pitch. Perhaps there are issues off it which also need to be solved.

(I am not saying McKenna out but I do not think he should be absolved of blame either)

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Whatever the reason, we are throwing it away. on 20:58 - Feb 11 with 1164 views3_5_2

Whatever the reason, we are throwing it away. on 20:52 - Feb 11 by TractorWood

The squad is quality and we defo had extended spells of excellence against both Plymouth and Wednesday.

As you imply I just don't see that belief that they are the best team in the league. No swagger, lots of fear in the last 10 minutes when we do lead and huge defensive frailty.

I see lots of victim complex on here about refereeing, injuries. Even some people blaming the pitch. If we don't go up this season, we literally just have our bottle to blame imo.

I agree.

Just don’t see the belief from the players at times.

That has to change and quick because if we don’t have it then the playoffs are not the place for us with this attitude

Hindsight is always 20:20
Poll: Which system should we play?

Whatever the reason, we are throwing it away. on 21:02 - Feb 11 with 1149 viewsLankHenners

Whatever the reason, we are throwing it away. on 20:57 - Feb 11 by pointofblue

Everyone’s to blame but the manager. But he’s the one who decided to name a defensive unit who had never played together before against arguably the best team in the division. He’s the one who watched on as both full backs bomb on at the same time leave the centre backs exposed in the first half. He’s the one who decided to take out an in form Ladapo and play Hirst (not that Hirst did badly). He’s the one who also oversaw a complete mess in the first half at Cambridge.

We bang on about the players mentality, and something being wrong on the pitch. Perhaps there are issues off it which also need to be solved.

(I am not saying McKenna out but I do not think he should be absolved of blame either)

He noticed the shape issue and changed it at HT and we went on to come back and were in charge for large parts of the 2nd half.

I do wonder what people are watching sometimes. Sure there are valid criticisms of certain things but it's like some have a pre-determined viewpoint and just try and cram everything into it afterwards so they still get their kick out of having a whinge.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Whatever the reason, we are throwing it away. on 21:05 - Feb 11 with 1117 viewspointofblue

Whatever the reason, we are throwing it away. on 21:02 - Feb 11 by LankHenners

He noticed the shape issue and changed it at HT and we went on to come back and were in charge for large parts of the 2nd half.

I do wonder what people are watching sometimes. Sure there are valid criticisms of certain things but it's like some have a pre-determined viewpoint and just try and cram everything into it afterwards so they still get their kick out of having a whinge.

It was such an obvious issue why was it not sorted out sooner?

I agree, against Cambridge and today he managed to sort it out. But the buck starts with the manager and, two games in a row, we have played horrendously in the first half.

Whatever the reason, we are throwing it away. on 21:09 - Feb 11 with 1081 viewsLankHenners

Whatever the reason, we are throwing it away. on 21:05 - Feb 11 by pointofblue

It was such an obvious issue why was it not sorted out sooner?

I agree, against Cambridge and today he managed to sort it out. But the buck starts with the manager and, two games in a row, we have played horrendously in the first half.

Yeah it's really easy to affect those sorts of tactical changes from the touchline mid-game when the opposition are on top playing with momentum, how silly of McKenna for not doing so.

Interesting to hear Leif Davis afterwards say that it's the players that need to have the belief and mentality to get right at it from minute one rather than wait for a reason to get started.

Whatever the reason, we are throwing it away. on 21:11 - Feb 11 with 1044 viewspointofblue

Whatever the reason, we are throwing it away. on 21:09 - Feb 11 by LankHenners

Yeah it's really easy to affect those sorts of tactical changes from the touchline mid-game when the opposition are on top playing with momentum, how silly of McKenna for not doing so.

Interesting to hear Leif Davis afterwards say that it's the players that need to have the belief and mentality to get right at it from minute one rather than wait for a reason to get started.

Davis is never going to turn around and say they need more motivation or tactical leadership from the bench is he?

All he needed to do was tell one of Clarke or Davis to hold back - probably Clarke as he was on bench side.

As said, that’s two league games in a row where we started poorly, looking a shadow of ourselves. Of course the players should take some responsibility but it should go further than them too.

Whatever the reason, we are throwing it away. on 21:13 - Feb 11 with 1021 viewshomer_123

Indeed, just look at how our players reacted today - in that first half after they scored, our players didn't want the ball - at all.

There's also a danger in trying to continually change your formation and approach to match / counter the opposition. KM has always (and rightly) tried to enforce our play on the opposition and get them to worry about us than constantly trying to change what we do.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Login to get fewer ads

Whatever the reason, we are throwing it away. on 21:15 - Feb 11 with 1007 viewshomer_123

Whatever the reason, we are throwing it away. on 21:11 - Feb 11 by pointofblue

Davis is never going to turn around and say they need more motivation or tactical leadership from the bench is he?

All he needed to do was tell one of Clarke or Davis to hold back - probably Clarke as he was on bench side.

As said, that’s two league games in a row where we started poorly, looking a shadow of ourselves. Of course the players should take some responsibility but it should go further than them too.

Not being funny but the players should not need any motivating for a game like that today.

Whatever the reason, we are throwing it away. on 21:19 - Feb 11 with 987 viewspointofblue

Whatever the reason, we are throwing it away. on 21:15 - Feb 11 by homer_123

Not being funny but the players should not need any motivating for a game like that today.

I think motivation was more of an issue last week. Today, we completely lost our shape for much of the first half.

Whatever the reason, we are throwing it away. on 21:23 - Feb 11 with 951 viewshomer_123

Whatever the reason, we are throwing it away. on 21:19 - Feb 11 by pointofblue

I think motivation was more of an issue last week. Today, we completely lost our shape for much of the first half.

Yep, we were at sixes and sevens for the period after they scored agreed.

They had two players sitting very high and very wide today in that first half. Clarke in particular was clearly being told both by Burns and the touchline to stay inside and leave that player - he's the one that did finally delivery the cross for the first goal.

It didn't come from Clarke or Davis bombing forward though. It came as a result of Chaplin allowing a quick freekick to be taken by Bannan and us not being alive to it.

Whatever the reason, we are throwing it away. on 21:24 - Feb 11 with 934 viewspatrickswell

It's very concerning to hear Davis saying this. Players can be great ones for saying they need to do better and then turning up next game or over a series of games and not bringing the intensity they've spoken about. It's been further complicated by the fact that we're not winning games consistently and haven't been for nearly 4 months.
Whatever the reason, we are throwing it away. on 21:25 - Feb 11 with 927 viewspointofblue

Whatever the reason, we are throwing it away. on 21:23 - Feb 11 by homer_123

Yep, we were at sixes and sevens for the period after they scored agreed.

They had two players sitting very high and very wide today in that first half. Clarke in particular was clearly being told both by Burns and the touchline to stay inside and leave that player - he's the one that did finally delivery the cross for the first goal.

It didn't come from Clarke or Davis bombing forward though. It came as a result of Chaplin allowing a quick freekick to be taken by Bannan and us not being alive to it.

The goal may not have gone from the full backs bombing forward together rather than one holding back, but I think much of our lack of shape was.

Also, we seemed desperate to play through the middle or, at a stretch, down the left on the first half. So often Clarke and Burns were in space but Woolfenden and Morsy in particular seemed loathed to use them for some reason.

Whatever the reason, we are throwing it away. on 21:26 - Feb 11 with 914 viewsLankHenners

Whatever the reason, we are throwing it away. on 21:11 - Feb 11 by pointofblue

Of course he isn't when it wouldn't be either true or relevant.

Besides I'm not sure it was wholly a shape issue anyway - we got a bit rattled after the pen miss and lost our heads a bit. In a state like that the best you can often hope for is getting the players in at HT with minimal damage done and refocusing them. That we scored before HT made that side of things a bit easier for us.

Whatever the reason, we are throwing it away. on 21:30 - Feb 11 with 873 viewspointofblue

Whatever the reason, we are throwing it away. on 21:26 - Feb 11 by LankHenners

Of course he isn't when it wouldn't be either true or relevant.

Besides I'm not sure it was wholly a shape issue anyway - we got a bit rattled after the pen miss and lost our heads a bit. In a state like that the best you can often hope for is getting the players in at HT with minimal damage done and refocusing them. That we scored before HT made that side of things a bit easier for us.

The goal before half time was key. The players were clapped off rather than booed and it gave everyone hope they could get at least a point from the game. I’m not sure if we would have come back had we been 2-0 down at half time.

Maybe we do need a psychologist in as we do seem to get rattled at set backs before McKenna can get hold of them. But we were flat in the first half; the penalty came against the run of play.

Whatever the reason, we are throwing it away. on 21:53 - Feb 11 with 776 viewsMach_foreignBlue

Whatever the reason, we are throwing it away. on 20:57 - Feb 11 by pointofblue

Bang on. He is doing nothing wrong for some though.
Whatever the reason, we are throwing it away. on 22:08 - Feb 11 with 703 viewsBLUEBEAT

Didn’t we import/employ American Psychonauts to work on squad mentality?

What is their true worth?

How can we quantify their success rates?

Has there actually been any successes?

How do they actually go about their business?

Do they have an office decked out in Danish furniture?

Poll: W or W

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024