Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Thanks Liz 08:13 - Jan 31 with 10583 viewsStokieBlue

The UK economy will be the only economy in the G7 predicted to shrink in 2023. Even sanction hit Russia is predicted to manage 0.3% growth.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2023/jan/31/britain-only-g7-economy-expecte

SB

Edit: Sorry Herbs, didn't see your thread
[Post edited 31 Jan 2023 8:13]

Avatar - M51 - The Whirlpool Galaxy - Taken on 29th April 2024

Thanks Liz on 11:29 - Jan 31 with 1660 viewsMattinLondon

Thanks Liz on 11:08 - Jan 31 by blueasfook

Please explain why you find that statement funny? We weren't allowed to do our own trade deals as part of the EU trading bloc. Now we are allowed. Do you need it explaining further? I will go fetch some apples and oranges if so.

Do you accept that the biggest trade bloc on the planet will be able to negotiate much more favourable terms in regards to trade deals than one country by itself?
Thanks Liz on 11:34 - Jan 31 with 1628 viewsLeoMuff

Please explain why you find that statement funny? We weren't allowed to do our own trade deals as part of the EU trading bloc. Now we are allowed. Do you need it explaining further? I will go fetch some apples and oranges if so.

Jeees, talk about head in the sand, we aren’t going to do better deals than the ones negotiated as part of the biggest trading area in the world.

The only Muff in Town.
Poll: Lamberts rotational policy has left us....

Thanks Liz on 11:45 - Jan 31 with 1591 viewsDarth_Koont

Thanks Liz on 11:34 - Jan 31 by LeoMuff

Jeees, talk about head in the sand, we aren’t going to do better deals than the ones negotiated as part of the biggest trading area in the world.

Indeed.

And rather than fantasize about these new Magic Trade Deals we should all along have been wondering why, for example, we ran a trade deficit with Australia and Germany ran a trade surplus under the same deal. We should have been focusing on the products and services of our economy and our own tradeable value first and foremost rather than expecting we could magically trade our way forwards with the same or worse deal.

Pronouns: He/Him

Thanks Liz on 11:48 - Jan 31 with 1583 viewsGeoffSentence

And on top of that, for some unfathomable reason the UK is apparently becoming more corrupt

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/jan/31/uk-global-corruption-index-trans

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Thanks Liz on 11:49 - Jan 31 with 1582 viewsTalkingBlues

Thanks Liz on 10:49 - Jan 31 by blueasfook

No, but the usual knee jerk reaction is to blame it all on Brexit isn't it? As evidenced on this thread. Brexit has given us new oppportunities to forge our own deals with various countries around the world. The failure has not been in leaving the EU but in being slow capitalising on the opportunities it has given us.

Of course, we are never going to agree. The naysayers will just trot out the old "We must rejoin the EU sob sob, and be told what to do by Brussels again" line.

We have actually signed 3 new trade deals since Brexit, with Australia, New Zealand and a digital trade agreement with Singapore, only the Singapore agreement is active.

We are still trying to negotiate with a bucket load of Countries across the globe to try and secure a trade deal and do you know what the target is? Answer = to achieve the same terms that we had when part of the EU, lol, but we are failing, unsurprisingly, due to the fact that we have far less to offer on our own. So, in a nutshell, we are worse off than we were when part of the EU and it aint gonna get any better, the question is, how much worse can it get?
[Post edited 31 Jan 2023 11:49]

Poll: Is it wrong to take more pleasure from seeing Germany lose, than England win

Thanks Liz on 11:58 - Jan 31 with 1562 viewsMattinLondon

Thanks Liz on 11:49 - Jan 31 by TalkingBlues

We have actually signed 3 new trade deals since Brexit, with Australia, New Zealand and a digital trade agreement with Singapore, only the Singapore agreement is active.

We are still trying to negotiate with a bucket load of Countries across the globe to try and secure a trade deal and do you know what the target is? Answer = to achieve the same terms that we had when part of the EU, lol, but we are failing, unsurprisingly, due to the fact that we have far less to offer on our own. So, in a nutshell, we are worse off than we were when part of the EU and it aint gonna get any better, the question is, how much worse can it get?

Isn’t the Australian trade deal the one where most of Australia was laughing at UK for agreeing to it?
Thanks Liz on 12:13 - Jan 31 with 1537 viewsBlueNomad

Ah but if we do deals will they be better and cover the losses of leaving a massive trading block? (Rhetorical question I know)
Thanks Liz on 12:14 - Jan 31 with 1529 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

Thanks Liz on 11:29 - Jan 31 by MattinLondon

Do you accept that the biggest trade bloc on the planet will be able to negotiate much more favourable terms in regards to trade deals than one country by itself?

Not just the scale of the trade deals but also the protection. I’d trust the EU more (albeit not entirely) to agree a deal in the interest of it’s citizens but not the chinless wonders in charge here who’d sell us down the river for self enrichment.

Think product safety, IP rights, balance of trade, and job protection - we’d probably end up with free movement from China rather than EU and decimation of our remaining industry.
Login to get fewer ads

Thanks Liz on 13:05 - Jan 31 with 1454 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

The Russia point is a bit disingenuous thought and lacks any context- that’s coming off the back of a 10pc contract in 2022 so hardly comparable.

Rightly people were criticised on here for gloating the UK had one of the highest growth rates in the Western world post-pandemic whilst neglecting to mention that was going from a much lower bottom.
Thanks Liz on 13:13 - Jan 31 with 1435 viewsHerbivore

Thanks Liz on 13:05 - Jan 31 by SuperKieranMcKenna

The Russia point is a bit disingenuous thought and lacks any context- that’s coming off the back of a 10pc contract in 2022 so hardly comparable.

Rightly people were criticised on here for gloating the UK had one of the highest growth rates in the Western world post-pandemic whilst neglecting to mention that was going from a much lower bottom.

Didn't those figures regarding growth also turn out to be wrong, and our growth was actually not close to being the highest in the G7? Whichever way you slice it, we're an absolute shambles. Feels like a death spiral.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Thanks Liz on 13:23 - Jan 31 with 1405 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

I shall be interested to see which shade of sh1t this thread settles on as our preferred economic option. At least several million of the politically and economically dispossessed can now take some solace in having dragged some of the entitled into the mire too !
Long live globalised economic growth and the fleecing of us all.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If he goes will he still be Super?

Thanks Liz on 13:27 - Jan 31 with 1379 viewsHerbivore

Thanks Liz on 13:23 - Jan 31 by BanksterDebtSlave

I shall be interested to see which shade of sh1t this thread settles on as our preferred economic option. At least several million of the politically and economically dispossessed can now take some solace in having dragged some of the entitled into the mire too !

How is isolationism working out for you?

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Thanks Liz on 13:29 - Jan 31 with 1373 viewsMattinLondon

Thanks Liz on 13:23 - Jan 31 by BanksterDebtSlave

To me, this has always seemed like a ridiculous argument to make. Some sort of Class War directed at the middle classes, who let’s face it, didn’t have a lot of political influence. But, the true wealthy who benefit from Brexit from deregulation and tax havens happily go about their business.
Thanks Liz on 13:29 - Jan 31 with 1373 viewsPlums

Thanks Liz on 12:14 - Jan 31 by SuperKieranMcKenna

Not just the scale of the trade deals but also the protection. I’d trust the EU more (albeit not entirely) to agree a deal in the interest of it’s citizens but not the chinless wonders in charge here who’d sell us down the river for self enrichment.

Think product safety, IP rights, balance of trade, and job protection - we’d probably end up with free movement from China rather than EU and decimation of our remaining industry.

You didn't mention 'levelling up' either. The EU distributed monies to real benefit in deprived regions without political bias. Unlike Westminster which does exactly the opposite.

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

Thanks Liz on 13:35 - Jan 31 with 1364 viewsMattinLondon

Thanks Liz on 13:29 - Jan 31 by Plums

You didn't mention 'levelling up' either. The EU distributed monies to real benefit in deprived regions without political bias. Unlike Westminster which does exactly the opposite.

Instead of helping, say Cornwall, it helps the Cayman Islands out instead.
Thanks Liz on 14:20 - Jan 31 with 1323 viewsgiant_stow

I think you're being a little over-generous to the rest of the rag-tag army of country killers known as the Conservatives with your title there.

Ideally they should be treated like those terrorist groups who get banned for being a danger to the nation.

I'd also be keen to see a voluntary programme setup whereby people who've voted Tory or for Brexit promise to never inflict their vote on the rest of us ever again. Perhaps they could be rewarded for their compliance with a Jaffa cake at polling station doors for turning around and leaving.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Thanks Liz on 14:25 - Jan 31 with 1313 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

Thanks Liz on 14:20 - Jan 31 by giant_stow

I think you're being a little over-generous to the rest of the rag-tag army of country killers known as the Conservatives with your title there.

Ideally they should be treated like those terrorist groups who get banned for being a danger to the nation.

I'd also be keen to see a voluntary programme setup whereby people who've voted Tory or for Brexit promise to never inflict their vote on the rest of us ever again. Perhaps they could be rewarded for their compliance with a Jaffa cake at polling station doors for turning around and leaving.

“ Perhaps they could be rewarded for their compliance with a Jaffa cake at polling station doors for turning around and leaving.”

Is your name Lutfur Rahman?
Thanks Liz on 14:27 - Jan 31 with 1313 viewsgiant_stow

Thanks Liz on 14:25 - Jan 31 by SuperKieranMcKenna

“ Perhaps they could be rewarded for their compliance with a Jaffa cake at polling station doors for turning around and leaving.”

Is your name Lutfur Rahman?

did he have the same idea re jaffa cakes then?

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Thanks Liz on 14:48 - Jan 31 with 1266 viewsleitrimblue

Thanks Liz on 09:50 - Jan 31 by blueasfook

Oh look, it's the Guardian and they're being negative about Brexit. What a surprise. One of these days I am expecting some kind of "Brexit Ate My Hamster" headline from them.
[Post edited 31 Jan 2023 9:50]

Freddie Starr ate my Brexit
Thanks Liz on 15:06 - Jan 31 with 1242 viewsHARRY10

Thanks Liz on 10:09 - Jan 31 by blueasfook

Did you watch Newsnight last night? There was an interesting debate on Brexit. I think the main issue has been the lack of new trade deals agreed. Tories are guilty for that. Once we do our trade deals with various other countries then things should be better. Sadly the tories have been too busy infighting and done sod all about where Britain goes next after Brexit.

Just as our players were guilty of only wanting to play other League 1 clubs when we were relegated from the Championship, so something that was always going to faul, failed because some did not do enough.

I am sure some brexiters will be telling us that someone was responsible for it Tuesday today, and not Sunday II.

That the UK would have to stick to EU schedules was known from 2015 - the fact that brexit thickos like yourself sat in the corner bleasting 'project fear... master knows best' was never going to change that really.

Of the 70 deals agreed so far 69 are still under our old EU agreement is EU rules. Just as when we get promoted we will still be under FA rules

Of the three, other two are still to be ratiied, and that is not going to be easy once folk see what Brexit actually means.

I would like to think you are some clever Remainer sending up the stupidity of brexit, but I think the truth is you really are a brexit thicko.
Thanks Liz on 15:08 - Jan 31 with 1237 viewsHARRY10

Thanks Liz on 11:49 - Jan 31 by TalkingBlues

You miss that of those threem NZ &OZ have yet to be ratiefid by Parliament
Thanks Liz on 15:17 - Jan 31 with 1235 viewsEireannach_gorm

Thanks Liz on 09:24 - Jan 31 by ElephantintheRoom

The IMF forecast would tend to suggest that the economic impact of Brexit is somewhat worse than a mad, unwinnable war combined with global sanctions/

Yes, not a great look.

https://www.arabianbusiness.com/politics-economics/uk-economy-worse-than-sanctio
Thanks Liz on 15:18 - Jan 31 with 1234 viewsblueasfook

Thanks Liz on 15:06 - Jan 31 by HARRY10

Just as our players were guilty of only wanting to play other League 1 clubs when we were relegated from the Championship, so something that was always going to faul, failed because some did not do enough.

I am sure some brexiters will be telling us that someone was responsible for it Tuesday today, and not Sunday II.

That the UK would have to stick to EU schedules was known from 2015 - the fact that brexit thickos like yourself sat in the corner bleasting 'project fear... master knows best' was never going to change that really.

Of the 70 deals agreed so far 69 are still under our old EU agreement is EU rules. Just as when we get promoted we will still be under FA rules

Of the three, other two are still to be ratiied, and that is not going to be easy once folk see what Brexit actually means.

I would like to think you are some clever Remainer sending up the stupidity of brexit, but I think the truth is you really are a brexit thicko.

I dont understand any of that nonsense? Are you capable of putting a coherent post together Harry?

You didn't mention "gutbucket" at least so you can have some credit for that.

Hunk trapped in a slob's body.
Poll: How do you think season will end for us?

Thanks Liz on 15:27 - Jan 31 with 1207 viewsHARRY10

Thanks Liz on 09:12 - Jan 31 by Guthrum

The saddest thing is that Brexit didn't necessarily have to be a catastrophe. Had the exit, once voted for*, been planned for and conducted in an orderly fashion - during the three and a half years the process took - then a lot of problems could have been at least mitigated.

Instead we had meaningless waffle ("Brexit means Brexit"), half-baked plans voted down on ideology, flirting with No Deal, posturing and a refusal to compromise. Turned a difficult situation into a sh1tshow.

Now they're reduced to blaming "traitors" and "lack of zeal", the standard empty rhetoric of incompetent, failed revolutionaries throughout history, devoid of real answers.

* Which I didn't.

'we woz stabbed in the back, innit'

What absolute old bollox this sort of nonsense is. On par with some idiot claiming 'we would have beaten Burnley if we were allowed to stay on the pitch for 15 minutes after Burnley had gone to the dressing room'.

The 'waffle' was actually the whining once the reality of brexit took hold. There was no alternative brexit that a 'stab in the back' failed to bring about.

Brexit was always going to mean a huge shortage of labour. Was always going to mean an avalange of red tape, regulations and cost once we were were as others, outside of the EU. It was inevitable that given the above two businesses would pull out of the UK and relocate back into the EU.

Alll this was explained to brexiters, much as you might explain to a small child that when the sun goes below the horizon it will start to, and eventually, get dark.

But no. They had habutual liars such as Farage, Rees-Mogg and Johnson who told them that they had some magical formula that would defy the laws of gravity. Reasoned argument could be countered with three word slogans that could be chanted. Slogans that would ward off the evils of facts and rational thinking.

Thankfully the move back towards the EU has long been in swing. Slowly, but steadily, just as the swing for suport of brext is decreasing. We are now even getting-

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2023/jan/31/brexit-lies-tory-billionaire-gu
Thanks Liz on 15:50 - Jan 31 with 1179 viewsEireannach_gorm

Thanks Liz on 14:20 - Jan 31 by giant_stow

Send them to Rwanda!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024