Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
We could build a great atmosphere 08:18 - Jan 15 with 4544 viewsglasso

...if we sang a song for more than 5 seconds. It's so weird - you hear a song start and it's LOUD, and 6 words later it stops, just as other people are thinking about joining in...
We could build a great atmosphere on 08:37 - Jan 15 with 3552 viewsPendejo

I say in Magnus for the first in, probably, 7 seasons, and the half towards SAR for the first time.

The loudest / longest this area sang was for Marcus Stewart at half time, rather than the active season / team. Though I was pleasantly surprised when they did engage at how loud it can get. Get more of that in a regular basis please.

Saw another post saying Plymouth fans were quiet, from my position opposite them I thought they were quite noisey, far more noticeably so than us.

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

We could build a great atmosphere on 09:10 - Jan 15 with 3442 viewsPioneerBlue

Agreed, atmos ebbs and flows people phase in and out and it’s all the better if the noise is in the background. What’s going on within the pitch then contributes to the raising sound level. It also allows people to learn songs they are not familiar with on a practical level!

Blog: Ipswich Ramblings

We could build a great atmosphere on 09:50 - Jan 15 with 3311 viewsDJR

I think the disjointed nature of the stadium especially in SBR doesn't help with prolonged chants. Indeed, there are often occasions when two different chants break out at the same time in different areas.
We could build a great atmosphere on 10:23 - Jan 15 with 3233 viewsBluespeed225

Since the crowd have stopped singing 'Bobby Robsons/ Johnny Lyalls/Georgie burleys/Big Fat Joes Blue n White Army', there is no chant that is inclusive to all stands/age groups. That chant was rythmic, set a tempo the team could get on, AND could go on for 15 minutes! You could have a breather, and then join back in! How did it get lost? Younger fans copying euro syyle chants? It need bringing back, and quickly! KMC's Blue n white army! BLUE ACTION, its over to you.
We could build a great atmosphere on 10:27 - Jan 15 with 3211 viewsCheltenham_Blue

We could build a great atmosphere on 10:23 - Jan 15 by Bluespeed225

Since the crowd have stopped singing 'Bobby Robsons/ Johnny Lyalls/Georgie burleys/Big Fat Joes Blue n White Army', there is no chant that is inclusive to all stands/age groups. That chant was rythmic, set a tempo the team could get on, AND could go on for 15 minutes! You could have a breather, and then join back in! How did it get lost? Younger fans copying euro syyle chants? It need bringing back, and quickly! KMC's Blue n white army! BLUE ACTION, its over to you.

As I’ve said in another post. The drum really doesn’t help. Other stands start something and then the drum starts hitting a completely different rhythm, and S6 start a completely different chant and it all gets lost.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

We could build a great atmosphere on 10:39 - Jan 15 with 3185 viewsDJR

Yes some of the modern songs are a bit too complicated and not very melodic. We also don't seem to have much in the way of variety.

And whilst I can see the good intentions of Blue Action, perhaps there is a problem in the sense that it means we don't have songs arising naturally, which makes it all a bit forced.
We could build a great atmosphere on 10:45 - Jan 15 with 3166 viewsDJR

We could build a great atmosphere on 10:27 - Jan 15 by Cheltenham_Blue

As I’ve said in another post. The drum really doesn’t help. Other stands start something and then the drum starts hitting a completely different rhythm, and S6 start a completely different chant and it all gets lost.

I thinks that's a very good point. Indeed, a drum is very limiting in the sense that, whilst it might fit the rhythm of the Woolfy at the back song, it doesn't fit of the rhythm of many other football songs.
We could build a great atmosphere on 11:15 - Jan 15 with 3098 viewsBlue_Order

We could build a great atmosphere on 10:39 - Jan 15 by DJR

Yes some of the modern songs are a bit too complicated and not very melodic. We also don't seem to have much in the way of variety.

And whilst I can see the good intentions of Blue Action, perhaps there is a problem in the sense that it means we don't have songs arising naturally, which makes it all a bit forced.

This is one of the tunes we sing. Seems pretty melodic to me. If everyone joined in it would sound great.

Login to get fewer ads

We could build a great atmosphere on 11:21 - Jan 15 with 3061 viewsbluefunk

We could build a great atmosphere on 11:15 - Jan 15 by Blue_Order

This is one of the tunes we sing. Seems pretty melodic to me. If everyone joined in it would sound great.

From my seat at the North Stand end of the Pioneer (yes I know it’s got a new name but….) S6 can hardly be heard (or takes awhile to work out) so it must be the same for those at the other end of the North. We constantly hear chants started in S1/2/3 which are different to those from S6, so they fizzle out. Blame acoustics, the drum whatever, until the song start at the centre of the stand, like it would have done years ago, the atmosphere will be patchy
We could build a great atmosphere on 11:22 - Jan 15 with 3053 viewslazyblue

Agree 100% on this. Time to get’ Kmacs blue and white army going again’, the old ones are far better/
We could build a great atmosphere on 11:38 - Jan 15 with 3010 viewsBlue_Order

Completely agree with you mate. We do try and get that going at almost every game, but for some reason it doesn’t take off.

We try and cover all bases - we sing those easy songs that can roll for 10+ minutes, we sing the old classics chants, and we sing euro style songs…
We could build a great atmosphere on 11:43 - Jan 15 with 2990 viewsBlue_Order

We could build a great atmosphere on 11:21 - Jan 15 by bluefunk

From my seat at the North Stand end of the Pioneer (yes I know it’s got a new name but….) S6 can hardly be heard (or takes awhile to work out) so it must be the same for those at the other end of the North. We constantly hear chants started in S1/2/3 which are different to those from S6, so they fizzle out. Blame acoustics, the drum whatever, until the song start at the centre of the stand, like it would have done years ago, the atmosphere will be patchy

Yeah, we’re aware of all that, but we can only do what we can do from where we are.

It’s been said a lot that we ‘compete’ with other sections and don’t join in with other songs etc, which is completely untrue. We make an effort to join in with every other song we can hear, but it’s the same for us, we can’t hear anything when it’s not the whole middle section singing. We also try and prolong our chants to give other sections the chance to hear them and build them up, but most of the time they’re not carried over by those on the S5 border closest to us.

We seemed to offend a few people with our survey, but we’ve never said anything about “being better than everyone else” and thinking we have a “divine right to dictate and sit where we want” - we’re just trying to gauge opinions on everything before making any attempt at a move elsewhere. Having organised support in the middle would help a lot, but we don’t expect enough people would be willing to give up their seats to allow it to happen, so it’s probably a non-starter.

We’re speaking to the club about trialling A-block Cobbold which if it’s backed by the club and other fans, I think would work best for everyone. Those that don’t like what we bring to the NS will be shot of us, and anyone joining us in A-block will be coming because they actually want to be part of it.

Ultimately, everything we do and have done over the last 4.5 years is always to try and better the atmosphere at Portman Road. We know we’re not perfect, and that everyone will have differing opinions on it all, but there’s never any ulterior motive from us other than to try and improve things.
We could build a great atmosphere on 12:06 - Jan 15 with 2937 viewsbluefunk

We could build a great atmosphere on 11:43 - Jan 15 by Blue_Order

Yeah, we’re aware of all that, but we can only do what we can do from where we are.

It’s been said a lot that we ‘compete’ with other sections and don’t join in with other songs etc, which is completely untrue. We make an effort to join in with every other song we can hear, but it’s the same for us, we can’t hear anything when it’s not the whole middle section singing. We also try and prolong our chants to give other sections the chance to hear them and build them up, but most of the time they’re not carried over by those on the S5 border closest to us.

We seemed to offend a few people with our survey, but we’ve never said anything about “being better than everyone else” and thinking we have a “divine right to dictate and sit where we want” - we’re just trying to gauge opinions on everything before making any attempt at a move elsewhere. Having organised support in the middle would help a lot, but we don’t expect enough people would be willing to give up their seats to allow it to happen, so it’s probably a non-starter.

We’re speaking to the club about trialling A-block Cobbold which if it’s backed by the club and other fans, I think would work best for everyone. Those that don’t like what we bring to the NS will be shot of us, and anyone joining us in A-block will be coming because they actually want to be part of it.

Ultimately, everything we do and have done over the last 4.5 years is always to try and better the atmosphere at Portman Road. We know we’re not perfect, and that everyone will have differing opinions on it all, but there’s never any ulterior motive from us other than to try and improve things.

Not getting at you guys, fully support what you’re trying to do, shame there’s resistance from fellow Tiwn supporters
We could build a great atmosphere on 12:07 - Jan 15 with 2931 viewsBluespeed225

We could build a great atmosphere on 11:38 - Jan 15 by Blue_Order

Completely agree with you mate. We do try and get that going at almost every game, but for some reason it doesn’t take off.

We try and cover all bases - we sing those easy songs that can roll for 10+ minutes, we sing the old classics chants, and we sing euro style songs…

Keep up the good work! I'm sure that chant combined with the the clapping will catch back on. It's a baton passer of a chant. I can recall under Burley where you could see it spread around the ground and the team respond. Very galvanising!
We could build a great atmosphere on 12:10 - Jan 15 with 2911 viewsDJR

Sorry not trying to knock you, just suggesting you should initially concentrate just on simpler songs which might get the whole ground singing in unison.

After all, "Come on you blues" is a little easier to latch on to than something rather longer.

EDIT: I've just noticed your post where you said you do start simpler songs but they don't catch on. Ultimately, the problem may well be just acoustics, and sitting above you in section 3, it is not often clear what song you are singing, given other songs may break out elsewhere. That's why A-block may well be the answer because you would be audible and visible to all in SBR.
[Post edited 15 Jan 2023 12:24]
We could build a great atmosphere on 12:18 - Jan 15 with 2866 viewsSlippinJimmyJuan

I think part of the problem is that thinking of "blue action, it's over to you". No it isn't. They are doing their bit, it's the rest of the ground that needs to up it's game. There are only a handful of people in every other section of the ground that ever try to get things going, but as the OP says, it runs out of steam before everyone has caught on. Wasn't there yesterday so can't comment on the specifics, but that has been my experience of Portman Road for years.

Poll: What is your milk of choice?

We could build a great atmosphere on 12:21 - Jan 15 with 2849 viewsLeaky

I agree BA need to be in S5 to create a better atmosphere Perhaps if Blue Action tried to integrate into S5 by taking over seats that are not sold too season ticket holders would that work.
We could build a great atmosphere on 15:55 - Jan 15 with 2641 viewsBluespeed225

We could build a great atmosphere on 12:18 - Jan 15 by SlippinJimmyJuan

I think part of the problem is that thinking of "blue action, it's over to you". No it isn't. They are doing their bit, it's the rest of the ground that needs to up it's game. There are only a handful of people in every other section of the ground that ever try to get things going, but as the OP says, it runs out of steam before everyone has caught on. Wasn't there yesterday so can't comment on the specifics, but that has been my experience of Portman Road for years.

Sure, you are spot on, I put that as it's those lads that have the drive to get it going, and hopefully see it spread. There's a little group, back corner of Block 4, start a song, it then gets lost in the one the section 6 have started as there are more of them. Downside being most of the block 4 songs are norwich related, so not really helping the team.
We could build a great atmosphere on 19:05 - Jan 15 with 2485 viewspennblue

We could build a great atmosphere on 15:55 - Jan 15 by Bluespeed225

Sure, you are spot on, I put that as it's those lads that have the drive to get it going, and hopefully see it spread. There's a little group, back corner of Block 4, start a song, it then gets lost in the one the section 6 have started as there are more of them. Downside being most of the block 4 songs are norwich related, so not really helping the team.

"When I was a lad", growing up in the 'Old North Stand', there were several 'groups' of people that would start songs up.

There was the 'Haverhill' branch who used to come in on a coach together and go to away games.

There was the 'Bury' branch that used to do the same.

The 'Saxmundham' branch.

There was the 'Ipswich Crew', Vincent Savage, 'Northy', Juliet etc..

and I am sure there were more. But as we were all 'together' (due to the terracing) it was a lot more joined up.

The supporter's branches seem pretty dead these days, so we have lost that, and obviously, a lot of the branches used to stand together / support each other when songs were starting up.

But we have never had the atmosphere of somewhere like Elland Road or the Kop. To try and produce something like that would require acoustics being put as a primary requirement in a stadium re-design.

Poll: How are we going to try and undermine the manager today?

We could build a great atmosphere on 19:32 - Jan 15 with 2438 viewsPrideOfTheEast

Glad to hear you’re trying to move - that’s the only hope of the atmosphere properly improving I think. Good luck with it.
We could build a great atmosphere on 19:49 - Jan 15 with 2405 viewsDJR

We could build a great atmosphere on 19:32 - Jan 15 by PrideOfTheEast

Glad to hear you’re trying to move - that’s the only hope of the atmosphere properly improving I think. Good luck with it.

I'd agree with this. And you'd have U2 below you who appear to join in with all the songs you begin.
We could build a great atmosphere on 22:28 - Jan 15 with 2241 viewsPioneerBlue

For those that think this one is complicated can you share the very very complicated lyrics please?!

Blog: Ipswich Ramblings

We could build a great atmosphere on 09:37 - Jan 16 with 2061 viewsglasso

We could build a great atmosphere on 11:38 - Jan 15 by Blue_Order

My post wasn't a dig at you guys, by the way. The difference you've made to the atmosphere is massive, which almost makes it more frustrating when you feel that it just falls short of turning PR into a really amazing/intimidating place to be
We could build a great atmosphere on 09:59 - Jan 16 with 2018 viewsZx1988

I really appreciate everything that you try to do, and the motives behind it.

Looking at other Ultras groups in the UK and abroad, it almost feels as if you guys need to be able to impose yourselves more upon the support, although this would definitely need buy-in from those around you, as well as from the club, I would imagine?

Would some sort of 'capo'-based setup work better? With a member of BA essentially leading the hardcore support, and working with the drummer to try and create cohesion in what's sung, and trying to stop chants from petering out after a few seconds?

Poll: Stone Island - immediate associations

We could build a great atmosphere on 10:19 - Jan 16 with 1993 viewsZx1988

We could build a great atmosphere on 09:59 - Jan 16 by Zx1988

I really appreciate everything that you try to do, and the motives behind it.

Looking at other Ultras groups in the UK and abroad, it almost feels as if you guys need to be able to impose yourselves more upon the support, although this would definitely need buy-in from those around you, as well as from the club, I would imagine?

Would some sort of 'capo'-based setup work better? With a member of BA essentially leading the hardcore support, and working with the drummer to try and create cohesion in what's sung, and trying to stop chants from petering out after a few seconds?

I also seem to recall that in the mid-2000s there used to be a microphone suspended from the roof of the North Stand Upper. Does anyone know what it was for?

Poll: Stone Island - immediate associations

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024