Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Shamima Begum 14:22 - Jan 11 with 7774 viewsblueasfook

Have to admit I used to be firmly in the "don't let her return to UK" camp but my view has since softened somewhat. I think she has been a victim of grooming (like many others who left to join ISIS) and also been made somewhat of a scapegoat by the UK govt.

I'd give her a break and let her come back now on balance I think.

Hunk trapped in a slob's body.
Poll: How do you think season will end for us?

Shamima Begum on 12:36 - Jan 12 with 764 viewsBlueschev

Shamima Begum on 12:16 - Jan 12 by bradforblues

There was a similar case very recently where a girl in care ended up joining a far right group. Her criminal charges were dropped as they recognised she had been groomed and was vulnerable as a child.
Shouldn’t she be treated the same as the far right girl ?

Of course she should, but I think we all know the reason why she isn't being.
Shamima Begum on 12:44 - Jan 12 with 697 viewsclive_baker

Not sure it would be much of a break anyway tbh, knowing the likely reaction she'll get. Would imagine it'll be a challenging existence for her in the UK.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Shamima Begum on 13:44 - Jan 12 with 628 viewsElephantintheRoom

Compared to the damage Johnson and his cronies have done to the UK her crimes are somewhat minor. I was particularly intrigued with the cunning plan of trying to foist her on Bangladeshi. Not sure she’d get much of a welcome if and when she returns

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Shamima Begum on 14:15 - Jan 12 with 602 viewsleitrimblue

Shamima Begum on 18:41 - Jan 11 by DJR

As a relative newbie I don't know what's gone on before (and didn't mean to upvote the original comment) but I'm not that fussed on echo chambers anyway. This is why I like this section of the forum because a variety of views are exchanged, usually in a constructive way. Elaborating on Shamima Begum, my views are based on the fact that-
(a) she seems to have been groomed at an early age,
(b) she seems to be being used as an example or scapegoat, when to my knowledge there are other people in her situation who have not been stripped of their British citizenship, and
(c) she is a British problem which Britain should deal with.
[Post edited 11 Jan 2023 18:43]

Sorry DJR, was just joking. Like everyone on here the lads on that list are all lovely people. Yer also right on all 3 points
Shamima Begum on 14:54 - Jan 12 with 551 viewsDJR

Shamima Begum on 14:15 - Jan 12 by leitrimblue

Sorry DJR, was just joking. Like everyone on here the lads on that list are all lovely people. Yer also right on all 3 points

No worries, leitrimblue. I thought that was the case.
[Post edited 12 Jan 2023 14:56]
Shamima Begum on 15:01 - Jan 12 with 534 viewsitfcjoe

Shamima Begum on 12:36 - Jan 12 by Blueschev

Of course she should, but I think we all know the reason why she isn't being.

I think there is a difference because she went off to join a cause which was at war with the West and literally wanted to bring us down - similar to if someone from the Far Right went to join the Nazis in 1939.

It's an incredibly difficult situation for anyone, if she comes back she'll likely spend the rest of her life incarcerated in one form or another so does that achieve a lot? If I were her I'd be trying to get somewhere where can just live as normal a life as possible and if I were the UK I'd be letting her as doesn't really help anyone her being here

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024