Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Atmosphere and general thoughts 12:06 - Jan 8 with 6757 viewsJakeITFC

Made a late decision to go yesterday and so ended up sitting in the lower Churchmans for the first time since I was about 16 (view was like watching those Town in 5 videos that they put out after the games).

First of all, thought it was great that there was such a good crowd in for such a game - the areas that were open were pretty full and the lower North looked especially good. Thought the team repaid them with an impressive performance - Rotherham might be the worst that the Championship has to offer but they didn't lay a glove on us and we played some really nice football at times.

The atmosphere was weird for me - I could see the Blue Action lads at the back of Section 5 doing brilliantly and could hear them but it the sound certainly didn't travel to make it loud in the South Stand (in fact the 30 or so Rotherham fans singing Matty Taylor's red and white army sounded much louder in the second half) and it was only when the chants of Super Kieran McKenna or Allez Allez Allez went up (and the rest of the North Stand joined in) that it was significantly audible (and also caused the rest of the ground to clap and join in at a murmur).

I realise this is a bit rambly but something really needs to improve the acoustics in the ground so that the good work being done by Blue Action doesn't go to waste - a similar amount of Palace fans in their ground make a hell of a racket and have fans joining in throughout the game. I realise my comment above about the closer fans sounding louder isn't rocket science but it seems like our ground is one of the few where 30 fans sound louder than 500.
Atmosphere and general thoughts on 12:11 - Jan 8 with 5217 viewstractorboy1978

I was surprised after the game when people said the atmosphere was great. I was in the North lower around where BA usually sit and thought it was pretty poor. As you say, the acoustics really don't work.
Atmosphere and general thoughts on 12:16 - Jan 8 with 5171 viewsgainsboroughblue

Atmosphere and general thoughts on 12:11 - Jan 8 by tractorboy1978

I was surprised after the game when people said the atmosphere was great. I was in the North lower around where BA usually sit and thought it was pretty poor. As you say, the acoustics really don't work.

The acoustics are absolutely dreadful and the worst aspect of the ground imo. What can be done though?

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Atmosphere and general thoughts on 12:20 - Jan 8 with 5097 viewsHelp

Sitting in the Magnus Y area I thought the first half was fairly quiet from the North. However, in the second half, acoustically I thought the sound from the North was much better and clearer than normal games because of the move to the middle. Coud not hear a thing from Rotherham fans till the second half.

But then so many factors play.
Rotherham had so few fans.
North gets better when one side starts, and the rest of the North picks up on it. Then it filters down the Cobbold and Magnus sides near the North.
Depends which way the wind blows to carry the sound.
I hate it when the North has two separate songs going at matches. Too disjointed.
Atmosphere and general thoughts on 12:24 - Jan 8 with 5047 viewsSitfcB

I was in Sir Alf lower as well, right under the big screen, Rotherham fans could obviously be heard for a lot of the second half but it is always the case that a small away following seem to make a lot of noise for some reason, I wonder if it was heard down in SBR stand though.

Thought it was a decent atmosphere from the SBRL most of the game, with the occasional song filtering through to us and people joining in, obviously had the upper been open I think they get involved with the songs from the lower as well to help carry it.

I think we need another group like blue action to get into SARL so then we’d have groups at either end of the ground.

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Atmosphere and general thoughts on 12:33 - Jan 8 with 4985 viewsBobbychase

Just a thought. When they were rebuilding the old North Stand, and all us season ticket holders were moved from there to the upper tier of what is now the Sir Alf in 2001-2002, the atmosphere was decent. Something about the design of the roof over that upper tier, it was really noisy.

So maybe if some people decided to sing down that end it might help.

Poll: Who's going to be at the Bolton game?

Atmosphere and general thoughts on 12:43 - Jan 8 with 4873 viewsBlue_Order

Section 5 was great yesterday, was pretty much constant for 90 minutes (the back half where we were at least anyway). Problem is, as always, that a lot of other north standers just don’t join in. Was a full row in front of us that still stood in silence the whole game. In my opinion, those types should be sitting somewhere else, and it should be full of folk that do want to sing and contribute.

We had a guest with us from an ultra group from Universitatea Craiova who lives here now and usually sits in the west stand to watch games. He reckoned it was the best he’s seen and heard it since he’s been going. Granted, he was in amongst it which obviously makes a difference, but we had a lot of folk commending us after the game and online too.

We can’t do much about the acoustics, but if we had a designated central singing section where everyone joined in, we would have a decent atmosphere. It’s just getting the club and the current ST holders in that area to see the benefit and commit to it.
Atmosphere and general thoughts on 12:52 - Jan 8 with 4802 viewsJakeITFC

Atmosphere and general thoughts on 12:43 - Jan 8 by Blue_Order

Section 5 was great yesterday, was pretty much constant for 90 minutes (the back half where we were at least anyway). Problem is, as always, that a lot of other north standers just don’t join in. Was a full row in front of us that still stood in silence the whole game. In my opinion, those types should be sitting somewhere else, and it should be full of folk that do want to sing and contribute.

We had a guest with us from an ultra group from Universitatea Craiova who lives here now and usually sits in the west stand to watch games. He reckoned it was the best he’s seen and heard it since he’s been going. Granted, he was in amongst it which obviously makes a difference, but we had a lot of folk commending us after the game and online too.

We can’t do much about the acoustics, but if we had a designated central singing section where everyone joined in, we would have a decent atmosphere. It’s just getting the club and the current ST holders in that area to see the benefit and commit to it.

Yup, could see it was good from where I was and when I caught up with mates in the pub after who were in amongst it they said it was rocking - but in terms of sound it was like I was walking past a football ground and could hear it going on inside rather than a wall of sound coming from across the pitch.

That obviously isn’t the fault of Blue Action but is as important a thing to fix as getting the rest of the ground to join in at times imo - the same song for the first five minutes with a thumping drum is something that was really good but just wasn’t as effective as it could have been if it was somehow louder/the sound carried better (and it’s probably the reason that a lot of away fans say our atmosphere is poor when we know it isn’t some days).
Atmosphere and general thoughts on 12:56 - Jan 8 with 4743 viewsSitfcB

Atmosphere and general thoughts on 12:43 - Jan 8 by Blue_Order

Apparently there was an issue with the flash with the jobsworth stewards?

COYB

Login to get fewer ads

Atmosphere and general thoughts on 13:01 - Jan 8 with 4701 viewsBlue_Order

Atmosphere and general thoughts on 12:56 - Jan 8 by SitfcB

Apparently there was an issue with the flash with the jobsworth stewards?

Came from the stadium manager or whatever he is - we didn’t give enough notice to hold up a small banner before the game for a minute so they wouldn’t allow it. He came into the stand to stamp his authority, and then disallowed us having our group banner up too. The usual pedantic stuff we have to deal with.
Atmosphere and general thoughts on 13:02 - Jan 8 with 4680 viewsBlue_Order

Atmosphere and general thoughts on 12:52 - Jan 8 by JakeITFC

Yup, could see it was good from where I was and when I caught up with mates in the pub after who were in amongst it they said it was rocking - but in terms of sound it was like I was walking past a football ground and could hear it going on inside rather than a wall of sound coming from across the pitch.

That obviously isn’t the fault of Blue Action but is as important a thing to fix as getting the rest of the ground to join in at times imo - the same song for the first five minutes with a thumping drum is something that was really good but just wasn’t as effective as it could have been if it was somehow louder/the sound carried better (and it’s probably the reason that a lot of away fans say our atmosphere is poor when we know it isn’t some days).

Yeah, we make a concerted effort to try and keep the same song rolling for 5+ minutes, rather than firing through one verse of every song 8 times a game. Gives folk more of a chance to join in and build them up too.

We had a basic ring of fire chant going for a few minutes in the build up to the first goal… celebrated the goal, then straight back into it until half time. I love that.
[Redacted] on 13:05 - Jan 8 with 4624 viewsvictorywilhappen

Atmosphere and general thoughts on 12:33 - Jan 8 by Bobbychase

Just a thought. When they were rebuilding the old North Stand, and all us season ticket holders were moved from there to the upper tier of what is now the Sir Alf in 2001-2002, the atmosphere was decent. Something about the design of the roof over that upper tier, it was really noisy.

[Redacted]
Atmosphere and general thoughts on 13:06 - Jan 8 with 4609 viewsSitfcB

Atmosphere and general thoughts on 13:01 - Jan 8 by Blue_Order

Came from the stadium manager or whatever he is - we didn’t give enough notice to hold up a small banner before the game for a minute so they wouldn’t allow it. He came into the stand to stamp his authority, and then disallowed us having our group banner up too. The usual pedantic stuff we have to deal with.

FFS, not the new bloke surely??

Club is moving forward in many ways back still sh!te like this happens.

What was the banner out of interest?

COYB

Atmosphere and general thoughts on 13:18 - Jan 8 with 4448 viewsChurchman

Atmosphere and general thoughts on 12:33 - Jan 8 by Bobbychase

I was a North Stand season ticket holder 2000/2001 but chose to move to the West Stand (Pioneer etc) for the season as that was what my dad wanted. We hoped that with the new NS they would take acoustics into account, but they clearly didn’t.

Acoustically, the ground isn’t the best, but then we’ve never had the loudest supporters. Atmos was always dependent on how well we were doing and the fixture itself. On the upside the crowd don’t get on the players backs as quick as some do at other clubs (e.g. London teams, particularly West Ham and Spurs). It’s a bit ‘swings and roundabouts’ for me.
Atmosphere and general thoughts on 13:20 - Jan 8 with 4402 viewsBlue_Order

Atmosphere and general thoughts on 13:06 - Jan 8 by SitfcB

FFS, not the new bloke surely??

Club is moving forward in many ways back still sh!te like this happens.

What was the banner out of interest?

Yeah. Things for us have gone backwards since we’ve been dealing with them tbh. Felt like we were getting somewhere when Dan Palfrey was our contact but we’ve hit a wall again since being passed on to them.

We’re gonna save the banner for the next round now so would rather keep it under wraps. Wasn’t anything special but.
Atmosphere and general thoughts on 13:22 - Jan 8 with 4374 viewsSitfcB

Atmosphere and general thoughts on 13:20 - Jan 8 by Blue_Order

Yeah. Things for us have gone backwards since we’ve been dealing with them tbh. Felt like we were getting somewhere when Dan Palfrey was our contact but we’ve hit a wall again since being passed on to them.

We’re gonna save the banner for the next round now so would rather keep it under wraps. Wasn’t anything special but.

That’s even worse then as thought with the new people coming in it would’ve been even easier for you guys, disappointing to hear.

Ok, fair enough!

COYB

Atmosphere and general thoughts on 13:27 - Jan 8 with 4313 viewsTJS

I normally stand in the far left block of section 6 however I was at the back of the block behind the goal yesterday.
I used to be there until the section 6 thing started about 10 years ago.
Yesterday largely confirmed why I moved.
The problem that has dogged us for 30 years is still there - 50 to 100 people who do not make any effort whatsoever for the entire 90 minutes and barely move even when we score.
Atmosphere and general thoughts on 13:27 - Jan 8 with 4305 viewstextbackup

Atmosphere and general thoughts on 12:24 - Jan 8 by SitfcB

I was in Sir Alf lower as well, right under the big screen, Rotherham fans could obviously be heard for a lot of the second half but it is always the case that a small away following seem to make a lot of noise for some reason, I wonder if it was heard down in SBR stand though.

Thought it was a decent atmosphere from the SBRL most of the game, with the occasional song filtering through to us and people joining in, obviously had the upper been open I think they get involved with the songs from the lower as well to help carry it.

I think we need another group like blue action to get into SARL so then we’d have groups at either end of the ground.

The second anyone gets excited in south lower/upper stewards going in and remove them.

It would need a really good number to make it work

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Atmosphere and general thoughts on 13:34 - Jan 8 with 4151 viewsYou_Bloo_Right

So how about we "mike up" Section 6 and pump it through the PA system?

Poll: Are this group of ITFC players the best squad in the division?

Atmosphere and general thoughts on 14:19 - Jan 8 with 3826 viewsBlue_Order

Atmosphere and general thoughts on 14:51 - Jan 8 with 3697 viewssotd78

Atmosphere and general thoughts on 14:19 - Jan 8 by Blue_Order

Move your group somewhere higher. Sir Alf if needs be. Or Block A Cobbold. But unless the club wants to upset a lot of very long standing fans I don't see you getting the middle of the North.
Unreserved rail seating would be one possible solution.

Whilst yesterday was better for the second half you do seem to have songs that us oldies don't know. I sat mid tier Magnus yesterday. Normally in the lower terrace there. You are going to need to go some to wake the rest of the ground. Most of whom seem over 65.
I remember being 16 and getting just as frustrated by the atmosphere when we had only single stands either end. Nothing changes.

Blue shirts/white shorts - sotd78

Atmosphere and general thoughts on 15:05 - Jan 8 with 3592 viewstivo

Atmosphere and general thoughts on 12:16 - Jan 8 by gainsboroughblue

The acoustics are absolutely dreadful and the worst aspect of the ground imo. What can be done though?

When Cobbold is redeveloped it needs to be boxed in to both North/South Stand.

Considering the route of the sun this wouldn't make much difference to sunlight.

I don't think I have seen any other stand in the world where the roof aims upwards like the North stand roof does. So strange...
Atmosphere and general thoughts on 17:04 - Jan 8 with 3287 viewsBrockleyBlue78

Atmosphere and general thoughts on 15:05 - Jan 8 by tivo

Considering the route of the sun this wouldn't make much difference to sunlight.

I don't think I have seen any other stand in the world where the roof aims upwards like the North stand roof does. So strange...

Agree.
Atmosphere and general thoughts on 17:19 - Jan 8 with 3204 viewsNickITFC

I keep on saying to people I really wouldnt be that gutted if there was to be some kind of issue with the current North stand that would require it being demolished and rebuilt. With our current regime I feel there would almost definitely end up being a kop style stand like it should have been. Yes I know about the houses behind etc but blimey is it really that much less invasive the way it is now????

On a side note I really do think some kind of fascia panelling put on the under side of the 2nd tier's overhang would make a huge change in the way the sound would travel all around. At the moment if you are towards the back of the lower tier there are so many different angles which simply block the sound of send it in the wrong direction. It wouldn't be costly and the difference would be night and day!
Atmosphere and general thoughts on 17:35 - Jan 8 with 3132 viewsBristolBlue42

Atmosphere and general thoughts on 17:19 - Jan 8 by NickITFC

I keep on saying to people I really wouldnt be that gutted if there was to be some kind of issue with the current North stand that would require it being demolished and rebuilt. With our current regime I feel there would almost definitely end up being a kop style stand like it should have been. Yes I know about the houses behind etc but blimey is it really that much less invasive the way it is now????

On a side note I really do think some kind of fascia panelling put on the under side of the 2nd tier's overhang would make a huge change in the way the sound would travel all around. At the moment if you are towards the back of the lower tier there are so many different angles which simply block the sound of send it in the wrong direction. It wouldn't be costly and the difference would be night and day!

https://resonics.co.uk/stadium-acoustics-make-it-loud/

This seems to support the poster theory
[Post edited 8 Jan 2023 17:36]
Atmosphere and general thoughts on 17:49 - Jan 8 with 3041 viewsMalcolmMeatballHead

Atmosphere and general thoughts on 15:05 - Jan 8 by tivo

Deepdale
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024