Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Sobering innit 23:00 - Jan 7 with 2353 viewsclive_baker

Hearing us beating Rotherham described as an upset. I can see logic, but feck me. Rotherham at home. Upset.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Sobering innit on 23:11 - Jan 7 with 2295 viewsVaughan8

In terms of leagues, yes. But in terms of betting, Ipswich were 1-2 to win which I thought was quite low but clearly they were right.
Sobering innit on 23:14 - Jan 7 with 2297 viewsPhilTWTD

Last time we beat a team in a higher division in the FA Cup was then-Premier League champiosn Blackburn in 1996.

This post has been edited by an administrator
Sobering innit on 23:16 - Jan 7 with 2235 viewsNthsuffolkblue

It is a sign of where we have got to. The more "upsets" we produce, the more they will no longer be an upset.

Roll on the day Premier League sides beating us will be an upset once again.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Sobering innit on 23:24 - Jan 7 with 2153 viewsGlasgowBlue

Sobering innit on 23:14 - Jan 7 by PhilTWTD

Last time we beat a team in a higher division in the FA Cup was then-Premier League champiosn Blackburn in 1996.

We can't shake this image of 'little old Ipswich" though. When we beat Arsenal to win the cup in 78 we were seen as the underdogs. Even though we had finished in what would now be Champions League places in the preceding 4 seasons with Arsenal finishing 10th, 16th, 17th and 8th.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Sobering innit on 23:44 - Jan 7 with 2079 viewsclive_baker

Sobering innit on 23:14 - Jan 7 by PhilTWTD

Blimey, that long ago? Was that when Richard Wright had a blinder and Shearer said something along the lines of ‘you’ll never have a game like that again in your life?’.

Paul Mason winner IIRC

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Sobering innit on 12:22 - Jan 8 with 1582 viewsstrikalite

BBC radio just said "and Ipswich of League One beating Championship Rotherham...now whether you call that an upset is another matter"...
Sobering innit on 12:31 - Jan 8 with 1563 viewsSteve_M

There are two types of upset though I think, those like yesterday with not much between the teams, we’ve been on the wrong end of a few, and then the embarrassing ones - Lincoln and Barrow for us, Wrexham back in the day - where there is a much bigger gap.

There’s little wider notice of the former category and far more of the latter. It needs a two division gap really for that category or a top six club versus Championship.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Sobering innit on 12:55 - Jan 8 with 1513 viewsAndrewRatcliffITFC

Can't get my head around it, then again I did grow up standing on the terraces watching us stuff Barcelona 3-0 when they had Johan Cruyff in their team.
Login to get fewer ads

Sobering innit on 13:20 - Jan 8 with 1465 viewsHereford_Blue

Sobering innit on 23:44 - Jan 7 by clive_baker

Blimey, that long ago? Was that when Richard Wright had a blinder and Shearer said something along the lines of ‘you’ll never have a game like that again in your life?’.

Paul Mason winner IIRC

We drew at Portman Road and then went up and beat them in the replay.

I remember Shearer having a bit of a shocker, and when I was out the back of the stadium trying to get autographs with my dad after the game, he came out with a face like thunder and then straight onto the team bus. His mood probably wasn’t helped by the ‘you’ll never score for England’ chants from some of the Town fans….
Sobering innit on 13:29 - Jan 8 with 1445 viewsChurchman

Sobering innit on 23:24 - Jan 7 by GlasgowBlue

We can't shake this image of 'little old Ipswich" though. When we beat Arsenal to win the cup in 78 we were seen as the underdogs. Even though we had finished in what would now be Champions League places in the preceding 4 seasons with Arsenal finishing 10th, 16th, 17th and 8th.

It’s because of the poor season we’d had rather than ‘little old Ipswich’. We were the underdogs on season’s form.

Where you are right is that I always fancied us to beat them because we had been excellent in previous seasons, were a good team and it was basically injuries to key players that season that hampered us. We’d also beaten the first game of the season, as we did quite often in those days, so they held no terrors for me. I had been more worried about about West Brom, who had an excellent side at that time.
Sobering innit on 13:34 - Jan 8 with 1427 viewsTJS

Rotherham are effectively another league one side for me. Until you actually stay up in the division above after promotion that is always the case.
Sobering innit on 14:42 - Jan 8 with 1292 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Sobering innit on 23:24 - Jan 7 by GlasgowBlue

But that narrative rather plays into us being the underdogs versus Rotherham ...

18/19 Us 24th vs Rotherham 22nd (both Champ)
21/22 11th vs 2nd (both League 1)
21/22 9th in League 1 vs relegated from Champ
21/22 11th vs 2nd (both in League 1)
Current positions 3rd in League 1 vs 21st in Champ

None of our league finishes or current position is as high as any of theirs over the past 4 seasons and there are some big gaps in there too.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Sobering innit on 16:31 - Jan 8 with 1207 viewspatrickswell

Sobering innit on 14:42 - Jan 8 by Nthsuffolkblue

But that narrative rather plays into us being the underdogs versus Rotherham ...

18/19 Us 24th vs Rotherham 22nd (both Champ)
21/22 11th vs 2nd (both League 1)
21/22 9th in League 1 vs relegated from Champ
21/22 11th vs 2nd (both in League 1)
Current positions 3rd in League 1 vs 21st in Champ

None of our league finishes or current position is as high as any of theirs over the past 4 seasons and there are some big gaps in there too.

Not to mention that on their last 5 league visits to Portman Road, they've taken 10 points out of 15.
Sobering innit on 16:31 - Jan 8 with 1205 viewsOldsmoker

Considering Derby beating Barnsley 3-0 was a Thrashing, us winning 4-1 against Rotherham should have been upgraded to an humiliation* at least.

* I'm a bit sketchy on where certain terms are on the cliche scale.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

Sobering innit on 16:56 - Jan 8 with 1124 viewsEdwardF

Sobering innit on 12:22 - Jan 8 by strikalite

BBC radio just said "and Ipswich of League One beating Championship Rotherham...now whether you call that an upset is another matter"...

Yes i heard that too whilst driving and pointed it out to my wife who, be be honest, was not impressed

Poll: Hypothetically who would you prefer as your main striker:

Sobering innit on 17:15 - Jan 8 with 1084 viewsibbleobble

Who described it as that? Chris Sutton?
Sobering innit on 17:31 - Jan 8 with 1063 viewsstonojnr

Sobering innit on 23:44 - Jan 7 by clive_baker

Paul Mason winner IIRC

Shearer also said IIRC the season before "There are no easy games in the Premier League - except Ipswich at home" which might explain alot of the grief he got from Town fans.

I believe we even made a ltd edition poster with that quote on it after we beat them, always regret not buying it.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024