Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Anyone have a favourite... 12:53 - Jan 6 with 607 viewsPique

...league in a particular time period? Aside from the English game?

Bit of a weird question but I've been getting all nostalgic lately.

I personally loved:

Serie A in the late 1980s and 1990s. So many great teams, the legendary AC Milan team, Juventus, Inter, Roma, Lazio all had great players, and even lesser lights like Sampdoria, Fiorentina, Genoa, Parma and Bari had good teams.

And also, slightly randomly, the Scottish Premier League in the 1980s. Celtic were good, Rangers were even more glamorous under Souness, but the league was very competitive then because at various points Aberdeen, Dundee United and Hearts all had fabulous teams. Funny to think about it now, but to the young Pique it seemed like a very exciting league.

Oddly enough, I've never been able to get excited about the Spanish and German leagues - they've just always felt like two or three top teams and the rest as cannon fodder. Maybe that's unfair.

Anyone have any similar leagues frozen in time that they loved?
Anyone have a favourite... on 12:58 - Jan 6 with 585 viewsIllinoisblue

Agree on Italian football, Channel 4’s coverage was great. The excellent James Richardson with his show on Saturdays, then a live game on Sunday.

We get Scottish football live over here on CBS but it’s mostly awful standard, not helped by having a dominant horse in a two-horse race. Even the old firm games are dull, now each club only lets in 700 away fans.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Anyone have a favourite... on 13:07 - Jan 6 with 529 viewsNthQldITFC

The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, in the Late Victorian.

Or Licenced Trades in the late nineties.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Anyone have a favourite... on 13:24 - Jan 6 with 514 viewsBiGDonnie

I do actually, which has come from playing football manager mainly.

Lazio in the late 90's had an unreal team, Crespo, Salas, Nesta, Simeone.
Valencia, early 2000's when they had a young Villa, Silva & Mata.

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

Anyone have a favourite... on 13:29 - Jan 6 with 501 viewsclive_baker

I would say mid 90's Italian football. We never had SKY as a kid so a big part of my football fix was C4 Football Italia coverage. James Richardson sitting having a coffee outside a cafe, broadsheet in his hands, introducing Sampdoria vs Lazio.

I loved Juve though with their SONY kits. Descamps, Vieri, Peruzzi, Conte, Del Piero, De Livio. Zidane.

TWTD.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024