Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Why is there no interest in our defence? 08:57 - Jan 5 with 2550 viewsjayessess

We've not had a single 0-0. We've failed to score in only 2 games this season. But we've kept just 9 clean sheets in 25 games so far this season, far fewer than the 12 in 23 games we kept last season.

If we'd kept a clean sheets in games where the opposition set up in a low block and barely had the ball in our half, we'd have beaten Lincoln, Portsmouth and Cheltenham.

Yet all the discussion is about new forwards and needing more goals?

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Why is there no interest in our defence? on 13:03 - Jan 5 with 215 viewsChurchman

Why is there no interest in our defence? on 09:58 - Jan 5 by Chrisd

I mentioned the same thing a while ago. There's no doubt that in that final third we do have problems, we simply can't put sides away and scoring one is never enough for us to win games. Nevertheless, we shouldn't be having so much possession in games and then the opposition score with their first attempt. For me, things need tweaking both ends of the pitch.

This is the key. How many occasions this season have opponents been out of the game with a few minutes to go? Three or four, including Oxford a few days ago. Dominating games is great, but without the ability to ruthlessly kill games off like SW and Plymouth do week in week out, it’s the play off lottery for us.

There have been too many games where we’ve had teams down, but let them back in. Nerve failed at SW and Charlton, no plan B against Lincoln at home and a few others. Scraped wins and draws when we have been much the better team.

We can be so much stronger; better than this. I am less concerned about the weak defence than I am toiling away with all of the ball and little reward. Royle said a team was only as good as it’s strikers. He was right. We need an alternative at that end of the pitch, in my view. And midfield replacement for Ball.

As ChrisD says, ‘tweaking’ - it’s all we need as we are so close to being devastating at this level.
Why is there no interest in our defence? on 13:07 - Jan 5 with 199 viewsthorpedo

I am a big fan of Edmundson, and always think we look better with him at the back. I'd revert to the 3 at the back again - could maybe take Donacien out of the side for a bit, as he has picked up a few little injuries, and hasn't been quite himself lately.

Thorpedo

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024