Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
All the 'We need a striker' brigade. 22:11 - Dec 29 with 1890 viewsOriginalMarkyP

Has no one noticed that Chaplin has 12 goals?

He's one of the top 5 leading scorers in the division and doesn't play every game.

And Ladapo has 10 and again does not play every game.

22 goals between those two at the halfway point is not bad going.

I'm sure we'll probably sign a forward in the window but we're not desperate for one. It's not as if the lower leagues are blessed with sure-fire goal machines.

Too many people playing FIFA and watching Haland thinking you can just bang in hat trick after hat trick.

When we get to the end of the season it's quite possible Lapado and Chaplin will have scored over 20 a piece.

When was the last time that happened???
[Post edited 29 Dec 2022 22:12]

Poll: After our 7 goal thrashing of Needham should we?
Blog: Sounds Better in a Song

All the 'We need a striker' brigade. on 22:13 - Dec 29 with 1521 viewshomer_123

Yet...had Ladapo been more clinical he'd have added 2 or 3 to that tally tonight.

I'm not saying it's a major problem but tonight...had he taken one or two of those chances...Pompey fans would have gone ape as we'd be winning more easily.

We do need to shore up a touch at the back but we also need to convert more. We'll more easily win and close out games.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

All the 'We need a striker' brigade. on 22:15 - Dec 29 with 1480 viewsgtsb1966

We need one ffs. Its not rocket science.
All the 'We need a striker' brigade. on 22:16 - Dec 29 with 1468 viewsBseaBlue

All the 'We need a striker' brigade. on 22:13 - Dec 29 by homer_123

Yet...had Ladapo been more clinical he'd have added 2 or 3 to that tally tonight.

I'm not saying it's a major problem but tonight...had he taken one or two of those chances...Pompey fans would have gone ape as we'd be winning more easily.

We do need to shore up a touch at the back but we also need to convert more. We'll more easily win and close out games.

Absolutely! The one in the first half was a big chance. Then the one in the second half where he has to hit the target. Then Jackson comes on, Leigh puts a great ball in and him and Edwards attack the same ball!

I dont think you can compare to other teams when we are so dominant. We should be cresting chances and we should also be putting teams to bed.
All the 'We need a striker' brigade. on 22:17 - Dec 29 with 1458 viewsGuthrum

However, as the old adage goes, if he was a top marksman as well as being strong, mobile and good at hold-up play, he wouldn't be part of Ipswich Town's squad in League One.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

All the 'We need a striker' brigade. on 22:18 - Dec 29 with 1448 viewsOriginalMarkyP

We don't create that many clear cut chances, where the striker has a straight 1v1 with the keeper.

Watching the Man City game last night Harland scored two but actually missed 2 very gettable 1v1 plus a third. And he gets chances carved out for him by the players around him. How many 'Must scores' did Lapado miss tonight? I can't think of one. Argueably his shot across goal was his best chance and he was unlucky and that was a very tough chance to take and he created a lot of it himself, using his strength to get goalside of the defender. Even then, that was not (at this level) a 'Must Score' for me.

All the 'We need a striker' brigade. on 22:18 - Dec 29 with 1443 viewsonceablue

Ladapo has 7 league goals
All the 'We need a striker' brigade. on 22:18 - Dec 29 with 1437 viewshomer_123

All the 'We need a striker' brigade. on 22:17 - Dec 29 by Guthrum

However, as the old adage goes, if he was a top marksman as well as being strong, mobile and good at hold-up play, he wouldn't be part of Ipswich Town's squad in League One.

Of course. I really like him as well..links up well and is a threat.

But we do need to start converting more chances.

All the 'We need a striker' brigade. on 22:20 - Dec 29 with 1415 viewsMr_Ipswich

Christ. It’s clear. We need another striker.

If bringing Jackson on as replacement after 70 mins isn’t enough to persuade you, then nothing will.
Login to get fewer ads

All the 'We need a striker' brigade. on 22:27 - Dec 29 with 1367 viewsGuthrum

All the 'We need a striker' brigade. on 22:18 - Dec 29 by homer_123

Of course. I really like him as well..links up well and is a threat.

But we do need to start converting more chances.

Highest scorers in the division, by some margin. Only twice have we failed to score.

It's more a matter that a few times recently Town have got themselves into situations where they need to score even more goals to get wins.

All the 'We need a striker' brigade. on 22:30 - Dec 29 with 1331 viewshomer_123

All the 'We need a striker' brigade. on 22:27 - Dec 29 by Guthrum

Highest scorers in the division, by some margin. Only twice have we failed to score.

It's more a matter that a few times recently Town have got themselves into situations where they need to score even more goals to get wins.

It's a little Royle'esq at the moment.

Ideally if we can shore up a touch at the back and be a little more ruthless in front of goal, perfect.

If we can shore up without losing our attacking threat...this would also be good.

All the 'We need a striker' brigade. on 22:30 - Dec 29 with 1316 viewsbenrhyddingblue

"shore up a touch at the back"! Definitely

We need to stop the opposition scoring with their only attack. This is what is costing us points not being clinical upfront.
All the 'We need a striker' brigade. on 22:32 - Dec 29 with 1303 viewstextbackup

we need a striker, simple.

we have ladapo, then gassan, then jackson. we've got to where we are today with no injuries to ladapo. if he's out we have nothing to fall back on.

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

All the 'We need a striker' brigade. on 22:34 - Dec 29 with 1298 viewsOriginalMarkyP

All the 'We need a striker' brigade. on 22:32 - Dec 29 by textbackup

we have ladapo, then gassan, then jackson. we've got to where we are today with no injuries to ladapo. if he's out we have nothing to fall back on.

Yes. I agree, we need another player in there.

I'm more pointing the finger at those who reckon Ladapo isn't good enough, and just think some goal machine is going to waltz in the door.

All the 'We need a striker' brigade. on 22:34 - Dec 29 with 1295 viewsGuthrum

We do need another striker, because John-Jules is long-term injured and thus we're an option down.

All the 'We need a striker' brigade. on 22:36 - Dec 29 with 1273 viewsGuthrum

All the 'We need a striker' brigade. on 22:30 - Dec 29 by homer_123

It's a little Royle'esq at the moment.

Ideally if we can shore up a touch at the back and be a little more ruthless in front of goal, perfect.

If we can shore up without losing our attacking threat...this would also be good.

And that last may be the tricky part.

All the 'We need a striker' brigade. on 22:36 - Dec 29 with 1266 viewstextbackup

All the 'We need a striker' brigade. on 22:34 - Dec 29 by OriginalMarkyP

I'm more pointing the finger at those who reckon Ladapo isn't good enough, and just think some goal machine is going to waltz in the door.

personally i can think of one goal that he's created from nothing (charlton away) we need so much more up top, because (as bloots says) we are predictable

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

All the 'We need a striker' brigade. on 22:37 - Dec 29 with 1246 viewsArnieM

We do not capitalise on our possession. Our “ shots” stats are misleading , because we RARELY make the goal keeper work or even move. These stats are frankly a load of cobblers. The only stat that matters is how many goals you actually score in a game vs how many you let in. That’s it.

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

All the 'We need a striker' brigade. on 22:38 - Dec 29 with 1226 viewsringwoodblue

If the best striking options we have are Ladapo and Jackson, we need a striker in Jan, end of. It’s great that we score goals throughout the team but to create so many chances and not convert them could be the difference between automatic promotion and playoffs.

Having said that, we are also conceding more goals recently which is a concern.

Poll: How do you feel about the EADT digital subscription?

All the 'We need a striker' brigade. on 22:38 - Dec 29 with 1224 viewsitfcsuth

We do need another striker - mainly because the options of Ahadme and Jackson to support Ladapo are at the level required.

When you turn to the bench you need to be able to see substitutes you believe will make a real impact, we simply don’t have that in an alternative striker to Ladapo.
All the 'We need a striker' brigade. on 22:40 - Dec 29 with 1202 viewsbenrhyddingblue

All the 'We need a striker' brigade. on 22:34 - Dec 29 by OriginalMarkyP

yes, we do need a striker as a replacement for John-Jules. But too many people on here think there's some magical player out there, who will be available in January for a League One club, that I going to bang in 10-15 goals in 21 games. It's the stupid goals we concede that is costing us points and that's about concentration and doing jobs correctly defensively. Who are the top scoring team in the league? That's rhetorical (I'm off to bed anyway)
All the 'We need a striker' brigade. on 22:43 - Dec 29 with 1138 viewsSwansea_Blue

Brilliant. Now imagine a CF on 12 or more goals as well. So nearly double what we have (Ladapo has 7 in the league). The sort of return that may have had us win 4 more points in the recent run of draws.

Why are so many people trying to make a case that goals aren’t important? I like Ladapo as he does his best, but why wouldn’t anyone prefer a more prolific goalscorer? (Not that such a player is easy to find of course).

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

All the 'We need a striker' brigade. on 22:43 - Dec 29 with 1133 viewsRyorry

We're juggling with two other clubs for automatic promotion, plus Barnsley on a good run behind us becoming a real theat.

If we want to avoid the lottery of the playoffs & potential heartbreak, & who knows what happening to our Club if we fail to make it this season, we need Ashton & co. to be as clinical in the January window as we need a 'fox-in-the-box' striker coming in to be clinical in that position.

It'd be like bringing in the last piece in a jigsaw puzzle, and we can't mess about this season. I'm sure our very professional, astute new owners, MA & KM all recognise that.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

All the 'We need a striker' brigade. on 22:43 - Dec 29 with 1126 viewsWestSussexBlue

All the 'We need a striker' brigade. on 22:32 - Dec 29 by textbackup

Missing Ladapo isn’t a major issue…Ladapo missing major opportunities though is!
Without Chaplin’s goals we would be struggling to stay in the top Two.
All the 'We need a striker' brigade. on 22:48 - Dec 29 with 1075 viewspointofblue

All the 'We need a striker' brigade. on 22:38 - Dec 29 by ringwoodblue

If the best striking options we have are Ladapo and Jackson, we need a striker in Jan, end of. It’s great that we score goals throughout the team but to create so many chances and not convert them could be the difference between automatic promotion and playoffs.

Having said that, we are also conceding more goals recently which is a concern.

We've conceded five goal over the last six games. That's not too bad a return in fairness. We've only let in 24 goals in 24 games; a quarter of those came back to back at Charlton and Port Vale.

We're in an odd position - we're top scorers in the division and our defence is decent and yet it feels like we make costly errors at the back and we waste chances up top.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

All the 'We need a striker' brigade. on 22:49 - Dec 29 with 1066 viewsOriginalMarkyP

All the 'We need a striker' brigade. on 22:43 - Dec 29 by Swansea_Blue

Brilliant. Now imagine a CF on 12 or more goals as well. So nearly double what we have (Ladapo has 7 in the league). The sort of return that may have had us win 4 more points in the recent run of draws.

Why are so many people trying to make a case that goals aren’t important? I like Ladapo as he does his best, but why wouldn’t anyone prefer a more prolific goalscorer? (Not that such a player is easy to find of course).

Obviously not saying goals aren't important.

We're the leading scorers in the division.

We've let a few too many in recently, but we have one of the best defensive records too overall.

If we can sign a wonder player who can score at will of course we should sign him. But those players are gold dust, and don't really appear at this level. Also we don't create bundles of the kind of chances those players thrive off as teams are always sitting in against us. So generally have to pick them off. It's not like our strikers are seeing the ball go fizzing across the box 4 or 5 times a match and they're missing it. We don't get that many chances like that because we're not a counter attacking side, we're a possession side.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024