Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
We are top goalscorers in Footy League 08:47 - Dec 11 with 1333 viewsYallop2

With 41 goals. We're having a dam good season.
We are top goalscorers in Footy League on 08:55 - Dec 11 with 1285 viewsGuthrum

Which is interesting given quite a few people at the start of the season couldn't see where the goals were going to come from. Especially in the absence of a traditional focal point striker.

The answer has been - from all the attacking players and midfield, working as a team. McKenna has spread the responsibility and increased our scoring rate as a result.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

We are top goalscorers in Footy League on 09:12 - Dec 11 with 1245 viewsChurchman

We are top goalscorers in Footy League on 08:55 - Dec 11 by Guthrum

Which is interesting given quite a few people at the start of the season couldn't see where the goals were going to come from. Especially in the absence of a traditional focal point striker.

The answer has been - from all the attacking players and midfield, working as a team. McKenna has spread the responsibility and increased our scoring rate as a result.

I thought we lacked quality up front. The stats disprove that, but I wouldn’t mind seeing a Stewart or a Murphy circa 2014/15 come in just to give us that extra edge. Another midfield option wouldn’t go amiss either, given injuries. Greedy? Yep!
We are top goalscorers in Footy League on 09:15 - Dec 11 with 1225 viewsParisBlue

We are, but without being that great imo

But the 2 games we lost we shouldn't have done. And we've dropped 13 points from winning positions.

We have been very consistent though.

And the reality is that we have bigger and better resources than most teams, so that counts for a lot, and always has done.

Libraries gave us power
Poll: Which position in the table will we be after Saturday?

We are top goalscorers in Footy League on 09:22 - Dec 11 with 1184 viewsGuthrum

We are top goalscorers in Footy League on 09:12 - Dec 11 by Churchman

I thought we lacked quality up front. The stats disprove that, but I wouldn’t mind seeing a Stewart or a Murphy circa 2014/15 come in just to give us that extra edge. Another midfield option wouldn’t go amiss either, given injuries. Greedy? Yep!

I'm actually not sure if that would improve our scoring rate much. Our tactics do not really function by aiming the ball in at a man in the box. On the other hand, it would give us another string to our bow.

We are top goalscorers in Footy League on 09:32 - Dec 11 with 1156 viewsjayessess

We are top goalscorers in Footy League on 09:22 - Dec 11 by Guthrum

I'm actually not sure if that would improve our scoring rate much. Our tactics do not really function by aiming the ball in at a man in the box. On the other hand, it would give us another string to our bow.

This is largely what I think. We don't need a better striker, but if we got one we'd just be that bit more formidable. It'd be just that little bit easier to release pressure with a forward whose hold-up and link play was better than our current options. A touch easier to negotiate opponents in a low block if we had someone a touch better at attacking the ball in the box.

100% also need to replace TJJ just in terms of squad depth.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

We are top goalscorers in Footy League on 09:37 - Dec 11 with 1107 viewsHighgateBlue

I think it would give us more of a threat from set pieces. I guess that's a "String to our bow" thing - just another possibility for scoring rather than changing anything structural.

But having said all that, it's noticeable that we have been scoring a lot more from corners of late. There was a big gripe about that issue earlier in the season and (anecdotally rather than scientifically) it seems to me that we have improved no end. Davis' delivery is as good from corners as I can remember from a Town team outside of the Prem.
We are top goalscorers in Footy League on 09:40 - Dec 11 with 1083 viewsParisBlue

We are top goalscorers in Footy League on 09:37 - Dec 11 by HighgateBlue

I think it would give us more of a threat from set pieces. I guess that's a "String to our bow" thing - just another possibility for scoring rather than changing anything structural.

But having said all that, it's noticeable that we have been scoring a lot more from corners of late. There was a big gripe about that issue earlier in the season and (anecdotally rather than scientifically) it seems to me that we have improved no end. Davis' delivery is as good from corners as I can remember from a Town team outside of the Prem.

Cresswell could take a corner. Lot of similarities between Davis and Cresswell.

Libraries gave us power
Poll: Which position in the table will we be after Saturday?

We are top goalscorers in Footy League on 09:44 - Dec 11 with 1061 viewsGuthrum

We are top goalscorers in Footy League on 09:32 - Dec 11 by jayessess

This is largely what I think. We don't need a better striker, but if we got one we'd just be that bit more formidable. It'd be just that little bit easier to release pressure with a forward whose hold-up and link play was better than our current options. A touch easier to negotiate opponents in a low block if we had someone a touch better at attacking the ball in the box.

100% also need to replace TJJ just in terms of squad depth.

Absolutely the long-term loss of John-Jules means we are in the market for another forward, of the fast/tricky style to complement Jackson (Ahadme being Ladapo's counterpart).

Login to get fewer ads

We are top goalscorers in Footy League on 09:46 - Dec 11 with 1041 viewsjayessess

We are top goalscorers in Footy League on 09:37 - Dec 11 by HighgateBlue

Think we'd do well to be more of a threat from set pieces, we're the best in the division already!

We are top goalscorers in Footy League on 09:47 - Dec 11 with 1041 viewsDyland

We are top goalscorers in Footy League on 09:15 - Dec 11 by ParisBlue

We are, but without being that great imo

But the 2 games we lost we shouldn't have done. And we've dropped 13 points from winning positions.

We have been very consistent though.

And the reality is that we have bigger and better resources than most teams, so that counts for a lot, and always has done.

Regarding your first sentence… obviously, we’re a third division team.

Not sure what some fans are expecting. E.g. a lot of new faces at PR which is a good thing for the coffers but man the comments are unrealistic, and most sit there in stony silence and only pipe up to moan about how bad we are. Football as a hair shirt innit.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

We are top goalscorers in Footy League on 09:58 - Dec 11 with 977 viewssohamblue74

We are top goalscorers in Footy League on 09:40 - Dec 11 by ParisBlue

Cresswell could take a corner. Lot of similarities between Davis and Cresswell.

Don't forget former nappy salesman Neil Thompson. He could take a fantastic inswinging corner with his left peg.
We are top goalscorers in Footy League on 10:15 - Dec 11 with 916 viewsPinewoodblue

Think there is scope to increase the conversion rate, goals scored to chances created. There is always room for improvement.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

We are top goalscorers in Footy League on 10:32 - Dec 11 with 882 viewsjayessess

We are top goalscorers in Footy League on 10:15 - Dec 11 by Pinewoodblue

Think there is scope to increase the conversion rate, goals scored to chances created. There is always room for improvement.

Think you are right.

Our strikers for shot conversion this season:
Ladapo 12.8%
TJJ 12.5%
Jackson 11.8%

They're OK for a striker (Michael Smith at Rotherham was 12.8% last season, for context) but the top 5 goalscorers in the division last season were at a slightly higher level, Will Keane especially:

Will Keane 28% (!!)
Ross Stewart 18.9%
Alfie May 17.0%
Cole Stockton 15.3%
Matty Taylor 20.6%

Doesn't account for the type of chances these teams tended to create of course.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024