Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Driver angst ! Sure -people who drive around with their headlights on in the day 14:45 - Oct 11 with 3573 viewsWeWereZombies

You do not need headlights when it is bright sunshine outside, surely. Maybe it isn't an issue where the roads are dead flat but in hill country with roads that no only undulate but are also poorly maintained so that they are very uneven I am forever being blinded by sudden bursts of light and/or the impression that the car coming towards me is flashing its lights for some reason.

Do these people never go to the optician and think everyone else is as blind as them, or do they not know how to turn their lights on and off ? Maybe they just ask the guy in the showroom to do the technical stuff and drive on from zero mileage with the lights on ever after...

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Driver angst ! Sure -people who drive around with their headlights on in the day on 14:47 - Oct 11 with 2477 viewsjeera

You realise many modern cars have daytime lights which are on automatically?

[Post edited 11 Oct 2022 14:48]

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Driver angst ! Sure -people who drive around with their headlights on in the day on 14:50 - Oct 11 with 2448 viewsXYZ

Good drivers have their lights on when there's a low sun. If the sun's behind you then you'll be seen by traffic coming towards you.
Driver angst ! Sure -people who drive around with their headlights on in the day on 14:52 - Oct 11 with 2432 viewsKievthegreat

Driver angst ! Sure -people who drive around with their headlights on in the day on 14:47 - Oct 11 by jeera

You realise many modern cars have daytime lights which are on automatically?

[Post edited 11 Oct 2022 14:48]

They are a legal requirement in lots of countries, so most manufacturers include them for all markets for the sake of simplicity. Honestly they seem to be a sensible idea with no significant downside.
Driver angst ! Sure -people who drive around with their headlights on in the day on 14:53 - Oct 11 with 2422 viewsgiant_stow

Don't know if this is still true, but didn't Sweden used to have a law that headlights had to be on all the time? maybe a myth.
[Post edited 11 Oct 2022 14:53]

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Driver angst ! Sure -people who drive around with their headlights on in the day on 14:55 - Oct 11 with 2395 viewsjeera

Driver angst ! Sure -people who drive around with their headlights on in the day on 14:52 - Oct 11 by Kievthegreat

They are a legal requirement in lots of countries, so most manufacturers include them for all markets for the sake of simplicity. Honestly they seem to be a sensible idea with no significant downside.

I think our friend Zombers there may have a slightly older vehicle which is of course fine, but means he may be out of touch a bit.

Wait till he finds out many of the feckers don't have spare wheels anymore.

Or need to be started using a crank.

Driver angst ! Sure -people who drive around with their headlights on in the day on 15:02 - Oct 11 with 2362 viewsCotty

Of all the things to worry about!
Driver angst ! Sure -people who drive around with their headlights on in the day on 15:02 - Oct 11 with 2350 viewsbungaytractor

Buy sun glasses
Driver angst ! Sure -people who drive around with their headlights on in the day on 15:04 - Oct 11 with 2335 viewshoppy

Driver angst ! Sure -people who drive around with their headlights on in the day on 15:02 - Oct 11 by bungaytractor

Buy sun glasses

And wear sunscreen, even if you wear nothing else.

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Login to get fewer ads

Driver angst ! Sure -people who drive around with their headlights on in the day on 15:12 - Oct 11 with 2309 viewsPinewoodblue

If you are being blinded by oncoming car lights, in daytime with good visibility, then it is you that needs to see an optician.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Driver angst ! Sure -people who drive around with their headlights on in the day on 15:13 - Oct 11 with 2302 viewsbungaytractor

Driver angst ! Sure -people who drive around with their headlights on in the day on 15:04 - Oct 11 by hoppy

And wear sunscreen, even if you wear nothing else.

Do you remember that song about that think it was 90's absolute rubbish thinking back but it got to number 1 i think
Driver angst ! Sure -people who drive around with their headlights on in the day on 15:16 - Oct 11 with 2276 viewshoppy

Driver angst ! Sure -people who drive around with their headlights on in the day on 15:13 - Oct 11 by bungaytractor

Do you remember that song about that think it was 90's absolute rubbish thinking back but it got to number 1 i think

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Driver angst ! Sure -people who drive around with their headlights on in the day on 15:19 - Oct 11 with 2261 viewsKievthegreat

Driver angst ! Sure -people who drive around with their headlights on in the day on 14:55 - Oct 11 by jeera

I think our friend Zombers there may have a slightly older vehicle which is of course fine, but means he may be out of touch a bit.

Wait till he finds out many of the feckers don't have spare wheels anymore.

Or need to be started using a crank.

I work in a weights department for a car manufacturer and the big driver for getting rid of spares was to reduce weight. One time a colleague had a flat at work and was having to use the 'pump and goo' so they could get home, multiple colleagues from other department made a point of stopping by to say it "serves you right!" And laughing before driving off home.
Driver angst ! Sure -people who drive around with their headlights on in the day on 15:34 - Oct 11 with 2212 viewsWeWereZombies

Driver angst ! Sure -people who drive around with their headlights on in the day on 15:12 - Oct 11 by Pinewoodblue

If you are being blinded by oncoming car lights, in daytime with good visibility, then it is you that needs to see an optician.

I'm up to date with my eye tests, thank you.

Driver angst ! Sure -people who drive around with their headlights on in the day on 15:38 - Oct 11 with 2193 viewsjeera

Driver angst ! Sure -people who drive around with their headlights on in the day on 15:19 - Oct 11 by Kievthegreat

I work in a weights department for a car manufacturer and the big driver for getting rid of spares was to reduce weight. One time a colleague had a flat at work and was having to use the 'pump and goo' so they could get home, multiple colleagues from other department made a point of stopping by to say it "serves you right!" And laughing before driving off home.

And on that level it makes sense doesn't it, to lose weight and save fuel use etc.

But it's real pain when you need a spare and don't have one.

I honestly feel if we have cars then we need the basic requirements to keep them on the road. A spare wheel shouldn't really be the compromise.

Mine doesn't have one and I'm not keen if I'm honest.

Driver angst ! Sure -people who drive around with their headlights on in the day on 15:44 - Oct 11 with 2172 viewsWeWereZombies

Driver angst ! Sure -people who drive around with their headlights on in the day on 15:38 - Oct 11 by jeera

And on that level it makes sense doesn't it, to lose weight and save fuel use etc.

I honestly feel if we have cars then we need the basic requirements to keep them on the road. A spare wheel shouldn't really be the compromise.

See also headlamp bulbs that cannot be self fitted and need you to visit the garage just to keep your lighting legal (which I do use between sunset and sunrise, or when the weather conditions demand it.)

Driver angst ! Sure -people who drive around with their headlights on in the day on 15:48 - Oct 11 with 2128 viewsjeera

Driver angst ! Sure -people who drive around with their headlights on in the day on 15:44 - Oct 11 by WeWereZombies

See also headlamp bulbs that cannot be self fitted and need you to visit the garage just to keep your lighting legal (which I do use between sunset and sunrise, or when the weather conditions demand it.)

I had one car where the battery had to come out to change the headlight bulb, and another it was a fuse box. Might have been the same car as it goes.

Agree, lightbulbs should be 'plug in and off you go' by design.

Driver angst ! Sure -people who drive around with their headlights on in the day on 15:57 - Oct 11 with 2081 viewsKievthegreat

Driver angst ! Sure -people who drive around with their headlights on in the day on 15:38 - Oct 11 by jeera

I agree, pump and goo really falls down when you have a big hole or slash in the tyre as it won't be able to seal up the hole and you get completely stranded.

In some markets, you need to supply a spare (even if it's only a reduced section one) legally to sell there and some markets get them as standard because people wouldn't accept not having one, but UK/EU they aren't required and are either unavailable or a paid option.

Although talking about the reduced section spares, it's amazing how many people will drive for weeks or months on those wheels. They are intended to get you home so you can get the real wheel fixed and as such are usually have a much lower speed rating as well as a much smaller contact patch with the road.
Driver angst ! Sure -people who drive around with their headlights on in the day on 15:59 - Oct 11 with 2072 viewsPinewoodblue

Driver angst ! Sure -people who drive around with their headlights on in the day on 15:48 - Oct 11 by jeera

I had one car where the battery had to come out to change the headlight bulb, and another it was a fuse box. Might have been the same car as it goes.

Agree, lightbulbs should be 'plug in and off you go' by design.

Few years ago my Renault Scenic needed a new headlight. Went to Halfords , they claim to fit the for you, but there are some cars they wouldn’t do because they are fiddly and take too long.

This was on a Saturday, drive to Halfords Service Centre and they replaced both in 2-3 minutes and didn’t charge me. Two technicians trying to be first to do it.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Driver angst ! Sure -people who drive around with their headlights on in the day on 16:02 - Oct 11 with 2059 viewsBlueBoots

You are in good company...

Poll: My morning poo-poo took 3 flushes to clear. Who do I call?

Driver angst ! Sure -people who drive around with their headlights on in the day on 16:18 - Oct 11 with 2008 viewsWeWereZombies

Driver angst ! Sure -people who drive around with their headlights on in the day on 14:53 - Oct 11 by giant_stow

Don't know if this is still true, but didn't Sweden used to have a law that headlights had to be on all the time? maybe a myth.

It's Lithuania:

https://www.rac.co.uk/pdfs/driving-abroad/travelling-in-lithuania

The chumps....

Driver angst ! Sure -people who drive around with their headlights on in the day on 16:39 - Oct 11 with 1953 viewsmeekreech

EU requirement (law) to have headlights on when engine is running.

Poll: who do you see as next manager ?

Driver angst ! Sure -people who drive around with their headlights on in the day on 16:41 - Oct 11 with 1946 viewsWeWereZombies

Driver angst ! Sure -people who drive around with their headlights on in the day on 16:39 - Oct 11 by meekreech

EU requirement (law) to have headlights on when engine is running.

Good grief

Driver angst ! Sure -people who drive around with their headlights on in the day on 16:46 - Oct 11 with 1935 viewsSibelius8

Driver angst ! Sure -people who drive around with their headlights on in the day on 14:53 - Oct 11 by giant_stow

It has been a legal requirement in Sweden since at least the 50s that any moving vehicle must have its lights on.
Driver angst ! Sure -people who drive around with their headlights on in the day on 16:49 - Oct 11 with 1923 viewsWeWereZombies

Driver angst ! Sure -people who drive around with their headlights on in the day on 16:46 - Oct 11 by Sibelius8

It has been a legal requirement in Sweden since at least the 50s that any moving vehicle must have its lights on.

But is was always just the sidelights (which also seems to be the case with our new Highway Code) - hence Volvos being so fecking annoying. And don't get me started on the Dutch...

Driver angst ! Sure -people who drive around with their headlights on in the day on 18:17 - Oct 11 with 1829 viewsronnyd

Driver angst ! Sure -people who drive around with their headlights on in the day on 15:59 - Oct 11 by Pinewoodblue

Few years ago my Renault Scenic needed a new headlight. Went to Halfords , they claim to fit the for you, but there are some cars they wouldn’t do because they are fiddly and take too long.

This was on a Saturday, drive to Halfords Service Centre and they replaced both in 2-3 minutes and didn’t charge me. Two technicians trying to be first to do it.

On my old Vectra, Vauxhall recommend taking the bumper off to change the front offside headlight bulb. What a faff. There is a shortcut where you move the airbox out of the way though.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024