Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What speed is too slow? 09:56 - Oct 11 with 4456 viewsRobTheMonk

If I'm driving to work, I regularly get stuck behind a guy who does 35-40mph on this long straight road with a 60mph limit. I'm not a boy racer at all, but this to me seems excessively slow. The road is fairly safe to overtake if you know where the hidden turning is, but I can just envision someone not knowing and an accident happening.

I get maybe doing 50mph, but nearly 50% below the speed limit...
What speed is too slow? on 10:02 - Oct 11 with 2356 viewsPinewoodblue

Have you considered they may be doing it for economic reasons? Speed limits are not compulsory you are allowed to drive slower.

Overtaking does seem a lost art for some.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

What speed is too slow? on 10:08 - Oct 11 with 2321 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Yeah that's dangerously slow I'd say. I almost saw a crash driving from Birmingham to London on Sunday where a slow driver changed lanes to a faster lane and continued to be very slow, meaning a car coming up behind him had to break hard. The first driver continued to toodle along seemingly oblivious as a line, including me, began to build up behind him/her.

I see lots of 'odd' driving. Like people who change lanes for no apparent reason... or go slow... then suddenly speed up for a bit... then go back to toodling along... again for no apparent reason.

Also coming back from Brum I was stuck behind someone going so slowly round a roundabout they were almost parking... presumably trying to work out what exit they needed... but so dangerous/stupid.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

What speed is too slow? on 10:09 - Oct 11 with 2322 viewsusm

I believe that you are taught to drive to the speed limit these days, so yes that is slow but he's not really doing anything wrong.
Though I agree 'slow' driving can be dangerous.

FOYSC
Poll: Did Broad just get a hat trick without realising ?

What speed is too slow? on 10:09 - Oct 11 with 2310 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

What speed is too slow? on 10:02 - Oct 11 by Pinewoodblue

Have you considered they may be doing it for economic reasons? Speed limits are not compulsory you are allowed to drive slower.

I hardly think doing 35-40mph, as opposed to 60, is going to save much money.

What speed is too slow? on 10:09 - Oct 11 with 2310 viewsbluelagos

Much like the knobs who sit in the outside lane of a dual carriage way because they believe they are entitled to dictate to everyone else what speed they can drive at, your problem is easily resolved with the acquisition of a big fck off motorbike :-)

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

What speed is too slow? on 10:09 - Oct 11 with 2293 viewsChurchman

Aren’t cars at their most efficient, petrol wise, at about 50-60 miles an hour in a high gear? Mine appears to be.

But yes, you can drive slower than the limit. Whether it’s the right thing to do is the debate I suppose. Personally I think not.
What speed is too slow? on 10:10 - Oct 11 with 2306 viewsSaleAway

hmmm, on a national speed limit road, the most efficient speed would be about 50mph....

"This optimum fuel economy speed will be different for every car, but when the RAC completed its Record Road Trip in the Audi A6 ultra, that particular car’s optimum fuel economy speed was 52mph in seventh gear on the flat."

Poll: Which is less impressive?
Blog: Phoenix From the Flames

What speed is too slow? on 10:11 - Oct 11 with 2300 viewsbluelagos

60 on a motorway - to save on fuel - no worries. 35 mph on a 60 mph road doesn't save fuel though. Around 56 mph is the optimum I think.

Login to get fewer ads

What speed is too slow? on 10:11 - Oct 11 with 2295 viewshomer_123

What speed is too slow? on 10:09 - Oct 11 by usm

I believe that you are taught to drive to the speed limit these days, so yes that is slow but he's not really doing anything wrong.
Though I agree 'slow' driving can be dangerous.

You are not taught to drive to the speed limit. You are taught to drive at the speed that is right for the conditions of the road and weather etc.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

What speed is too slow? on 10:17 - Oct 11 with 2251 viewsgiant_stow

Definitely too slow on a road that's 60. Pretty selfish and shows a lack of awareness yo what the vast body of drivers would expect.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

What speed is too slow? on 10:18 - Oct 11 with 2248 viewsbluelagos

What speed is too slow? on 10:11 - Oct 11 by homer_123

You are not taught to drive to the speed limit. You are taught to drive at the speed that is right for the conditions of the road and weather etc.

"You are taught to drive at the speed that is right for the conditions of the road and weather etc. "

True. And if there's nothing preventing you, to drive to the speed limit.

What speed is too slow? on 10:22 - Oct 11 with 2209 viewsPinewoodblue

True but while people may not be taught to drive to the speed limit it is the way a lot of people drive.

A slow driver maybe annoying but it is how people react to them that causes accidents. Same applies to those who drive over the speed limit, they don’t cause multiple vehicle accidents but people who misjudge others speed do.

How often do you see a situation where people turn into the path of a vehicle that was travelling faster than they thought?

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

What speed is too slow? on 10:24 - Oct 11 with 2194 viewsArnoldMoorhen

What speed is too slow? on 10:09 - Oct 11 by The_Flashing_Smile

I hardly think doing 35-40mph, as opposed to 60, is going to save much money.

Most cars are optimised to 56mph as that is the standard mpg speed under EU regulations. 35mph is stuck in 4th gear, a lot of cars would struggle to do 35 in their highest, most fuel efficient, gear.

So I think it will be less economical.

More likely somebody with very low confidence behind the wheel, or worsening eyesight, or, possibly, giving Gillian Taylforth a lift...
What speed is too slow? on 10:29 - Oct 11 with 2158 viewsWeWereZombies

What speed is too slow? on 10:24 - Oct 11 by ArnoldMoorhen

Most cars are optimised to 56mph as that is the standard mpg speed under EU regulations. 35mph is stuck in 4th gear, a lot of cars would struggle to do 35 in their highest, most fuel efficient, gear.

So I think it will be less economical.

More likely somebody with very low confidence behind the wheel, or worsening eyesight, or, possibly, giving Gillian Taylforth a lift...

I was going to say to the OP that maybe they were driving at thirty five because they were holding the steering wheel with one hand and making a sandwich with the other.

But your suggestion plays better with the audience on here.

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

What speed is too slow? on 10:33 - Oct 11 with 2125 viewsleitrimblue

Have you tried bibbing the horn, flashing yer lights and giving him/her the universal w4nker sign?
What speed is too slow? on 10:34 - Oct 11 with 2125 viewsOldsmoker

You want slow then try Bristol.
We are 20mph in most of Bristol. Some main roads are 30mph.
The firm that make 20mph signs must have made a fortune as every road off the main road gets a 20 sign.
My car - a Ford Fiesta 1.4 - is high revs in 2nd for 20mph but almost stalling in 3rd for 20mph. The cars got no Torque, so fuel consuming 2nd gear it is.
When I move off from the lights in 1st and then change up to 2nd, I look at the speedo and I'm already doing 25 so immediately slow down.
We also have to put up with scooters. They're all over the place and they go about 15mph. No rider dare turn round to see if the road is clear for them to turn right, as they'd fall off - they just turn right.
I'm going to knock a scooter rider over some time soon and it won't be my fault. Time to buy a dashcam I think.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

What speed is too slow? on 10:35 - Oct 11 with 2118 viewsmeekreech

If this was the way you were going to drive on the driving test and the conditions were clear and dry you would be failed for “ not making progress “ . When being taught to drive making progress is as important as being expected to obey speed limits . Failure to make progress can be considered as being dangerous or undue care .

Poll: who do you see as next manager ?

What speed is too slow? on 10:40 - Oct 11 with 2081 viewsgiant_stow

What speed is too slow? on 10:33 - Oct 11 by leitrimblue

Have you tried bibbing the horn, flashing yer lights and giving him/her the universal w4nker sign?

Never do the wvnker sign when driving - Years back, I got cut up once, gave it the shuffle and drove into a kurb busting a tire completely - lesson learnt!

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

What speed is too slow? on 10:41 - Oct 11 with 2074 viewsblueasfook

You can actually be prosecuted for driving too slow. It can be considered dangerous driving. If you have a dashcam, record the driver and send to the bizzies, or just report if he's always on the road at the same time of day and I am sure a patrol will be happy to educate the gentleman.

Hunk trapped in a slob's body.
Poll: How do you think season will end for us?

What speed is too slow? on 10:49 - Oct 11 with 2028 viewshomer_123

What speed is too slow? on 10:34 - Oct 11 by Oldsmoker

You want slow then try Bristol.
We are 20mph in most of Bristol. Some main roads are 30mph.
The firm that make 20mph signs must have made a fortune as every road off the main road gets a 20 sign.
My car - a Ford Fiesta 1.4 - is high revs in 2nd for 20mph but almost stalling in 3rd for 20mph. The cars got no Torque, so fuel consuming 2nd gear it is.
When I move off from the lights in 1st and then change up to 2nd, I look at the speedo and I'm already doing 25 so immediately slow down.
We also have to put up with scooters. They're all over the place and they go about 15mph. No rider dare turn round to see if the road is clear for them to turn right, as they'd fall off - they just turn right.
I'm going to knock a scooter rider over some time soon and it won't be my fault. Time to buy a dashcam I think.

Bristol is, indeed, one of the worst places to drive...not car friendly in any way!

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

What speed is too slow? on 10:53 - Oct 11 with 2016 viewsBugs

I have found for a lot of the 35 -45 mph drivers that is their speed, whatever the speed limit.

I often pull away (with-in the speed limit) from these drivers and then get caught up again when I'm doing 30mph through villages.
What speed is too slow? on 10:53 - Oct 11 with 2002 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

While your point is right, you can fail your test for driving too slowly. My instructor called it something like "not making good progress". Essentially you should be fairly close to the limit, but bearing in mind physical road conditions and weather of course. Most of it is common sense.

What speed is too slow? on 10:55 - Oct 11 with 1990 viewsbluelagos

What speed is too slow? on 10:53 - Oct 11 by Bugs

I have found for a lot of the 35 -45 mph drivers that is their speed, whatever the speed limit.

I often pull away (with-in the speed limit) from these drivers and then get caught up again when I'm doing 30mph through villages.

My mate calls them "40 everywhere" drivers.

What speed is too slow? on 11:01 - Oct 11 with 1964 viewsChurchman

What speed is too slow? on 10:49 - Oct 11 by homer_123

Bristol is, indeed, one of the worst places to drive...not car friendly in any way!

Best not to mention Bristol. Those weirdo swivel eyed people will be attracted back on here blaming Ashton.
What speed is too slow? on 11:06 - Oct 11 with 1953 viewsCaptainAhab

Definitely too slow.
My pet peeve is middle lane hoggers... Here's a conundrum for you though; a few years ago I was driving on a 3 lane motorway, going 75ish in the inside lane. I caught up with a middle lane hogger going about 60, so I indicated and went from the inside lane to the outside lane but at that point I realised a car was absolutely flying up the outside lane, must have been going 100+. He flashed me, swerved through on the inside lane then swerved back into the outside lane in front of me and slammed on his brakes. My question to you is; who is most at fault in this scenario?!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024