Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Bloodlands 23:12 - Oct 9 with 1380 viewsTrumptonBlue

Anyone watching this? Haven’t seen tonight’s but in previous episodes there’s been a lot of fuss about the date 21-2-98. No doubt it’s hugely significant for some reason or other, but whenever it gets mentioned, all I can think is that that’s when we beat Norwich 5-0. Great day.
Bloodlands on 23:23 - Oct 9 with 1343 viewsronnyd

Yes, it's great television. Wish the beggers would put the rest of the episodes on Iplayer as i'm getting impatient for the end.
Bloodlands on 23:43 - Oct 9 with 1319 viewsjeera

Bloodlands on 23:23 - Oct 9 by ronnyd

Yes, it's great television. Wish the beggers would put the rest of the episodes on Iplayer as i'm getting impatient for the end.

Worth a look is it?

I switched on during one episode but didn't want to get involved without seeing it from the beginning, then forgot all about it.

I might have to check it out then but like you I want the whole series to be available. I can't be waiting around for the next episode.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Bloodlands on 23:56 - Oct 9 with 1299 viewsRyorry

It might not be a date ... ;)

Excellent series, better than the first, tho I'm getting a bit weary of Nesbitt being Nesbitt.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Bloodlands on 23:58 - Oct 9 with 1298 viewsronnyd

Bloodlands on 23:43 - Oct 9 by jeera

Worth a look is it?

I switched on during one episode but didn't want to get involved without seeing it from the beginning, then forgot all about it.

I might have to check it out then but like you I want the whole series to be available. I can't be waiting around for the next episode.

If you haven't seen it at all before, the best thing would be to watch the first series, as there are quite a few references to the plot line in this, the second series. That is all available on the Iplayer.
Bloodlands on 00:02 - Oct 10 with 1285 viewsjeera

Bloodlands on 23:58 - Oct 9 by ronnyd

If you haven't seen it at all before, the best thing would be to watch the first series, as there are quite a few references to the plot line in this, the second series. That is all available on the Iplayer.

I wasn't aware there was another series!

I'll have a look at some point. Cheers.

Bloodlands on 00:13 - Oct 10 with 1276 viewsronnyd

Bloodlands on 00:02 - Oct 10 by jeera

I wasn't aware there was another series!

I'll have a look at some point. Cheers.

Me neither, it wasn't until i watched the first episode of this current series that i then realised there must have been an earlier one.
Bloodlands on 08:06 - Oct 10 with 1141 viewsthebooks

Bloodlands on 23:43 - Oct 9 by jeera

Worth a look is it?

It's utter rubbish, even for Sunday night pap, although the CGI-enhancement of Nesbitt back in 1998 is LOL stuff. He looks like something out of Lord of the Rings.

There was another unintentionally funny scene in last night's episode where Nesbitt is out running across a beach. I think he's meant to look superfit, determined or whatever, but he just looks like some 17 stone bloke out for his first run down Bixley Road.

It basically consists of a bunch of cliches (femme fatale widow in designer house, obstructive police boss, slightly goofy young detective, main character moodily out running) loosely bound together in a really silly plot. The characters stare meaningfully into the camera/distance/to the left of the other characters a lot, but Nesbitt's acting skills can't really stretch to that.

Slight spoiler: we also lost the only vaguely likeable (as in the rest are just ciphers) character last night.
Bloodlands on 09:13 - Oct 10 with 1049 viewsWeWereZombies

Bloodlands on 08:06 - Oct 10 by thebooks

It's utter rubbish, even for Sunday night pap, although the CGI-enhancement of Nesbitt back in 1998 is LOL stuff. He looks like something out of Lord of the Rings.

There was another unintentionally funny scene in last night's episode where Nesbitt is out running across a beach. I think he's meant to look superfit, determined or whatever, but he just looks like some 17 stone bloke out for his first run down Bixley Road.

It basically consists of a bunch of cliches (femme fatale widow in designer house, obstructive police boss, slightly goofy young detective, main character moodily out running) loosely bound together in a really silly plot. The characters stare meaningfully into the camera/distance/to the left of the other characters a lot, but Nesbitt's acting skills can't really stretch to that.

Slight spoiler: we also lost the only vaguely likeable (as in the rest are just ciphers) character last night.

So not as good as 'The Missing' then ?

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

Login to get fewer ads

Bloodlands on 09:16 - Oct 10 with 1043 viewsthebooks

Bloodlands on 09:13 - Oct 10 by WeWereZombies

So not as good as 'The Missing' then ?

No, The Missing was alright (seems I watch more of this stuff than I thought): better cast and production. Bloodlands feels weirdly cheap in comparison.
Bloodlands on 09:26 - Oct 10 with 1026 viewsWeWereZombies

Bloodlands on 09:16 - Oct 10 by thebooks

No, The Missing was alright (seems I watch more of this stuff than I thought): better cast and production. Bloodlands feels weirdly cheap in comparison.

'The Missing' was probably Nesbitt's finest hour (or series of eight hours to be accurate) but he was outshone (as were all the rest of the cast) by Tchéky Karyo - which is why he got his own series in 'Baptiste'. To some extent I think it paved the way for Kim Bodnia to be such a good turn in 'KIlling Eve'.

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

Bloodlands on 09:51 - Oct 10 with 1008 viewsthebooks

Bloodlands on 09:26 - Oct 10 by WeWereZombies

'The Missing' was probably Nesbitt's finest hour (or series of eight hours to be accurate) but he was outshone (as were all the rest of the cast) by Tchéky Karyo - which is why he got his own series in 'Baptiste'. To some extent I think it paved the way for Kim Bodnia to be such a good turn in 'KIlling Eve'.

Charlene McKenna's a good actor, but her part's so bland it doesn't really make a difference. I struggle to understand how Nesbitt has become a leading man: he can barely act and has little presence.
Bloodlands on 10:32 - Oct 10 with 964 viewsjeera

Bloodlands on 09:51 - Oct 10 by thebooks

Charlene McKenna's a good actor, but her part's so bland it doesn't really make a difference. I struggle to understand how Nesbitt has become a leading man: he can barely act and has little presence.

Put you down as an undecided then?

Bloodlands on 10:33 - Oct 10 with 959 viewsRyorry

Well I agree with you about Nesbitt anyway!

I thought S1 of Bloodlands poor (ridiculous, murky, complicated plot shot in murky light for "effect" - fitting, but not great for TV), but this series much better.

Yes it's not as good as 'The Missing', but it's far less formulaic than that (or any other crime series I've seen apart from LOD), so don't get you on that point.

Bloodlands on 10:39 - Oct 10 with 954 viewsthebooks

Bloodlands on 10:33 - Oct 10 by Ryorry

Well I agree with you about Nesbitt anyway!

I thought S1 of Bloodlands poor (ridiculous, murky, complicated plot shot in murky light for "effect" - fitting, but not great for TV), but this series much better.

Yes it's not as good as 'The Missing', but it's far less formulaic than that (or any other crime series I've seen apart from LOD), so don't get you on that point.

tbf the first episode clipped along quite nicely. But then it's dragged (for me) and is formulaic, apart from the one obvious difference. Like most other crime dramas, there's a moody, male central character, a board with pictures of suspects and victims and arrows, a femme fatale in a modernist house, an obstructive boss, a really violent, eccentric henchman etc. etc. It could be set anywhere, but they've chosen NI.

I only really watch it because it's Sunday evening, and it does make me laugh occasionally.
Bloodlands on 14:29 - Oct 10 with 839 viewsRyorry

Bloodlands on 10:39 - Oct 10 by thebooks

tbf the first episode clipped along quite nicely. But then it's dragged (for me) and is formulaic, apart from the one obvious difference. Like most other crime dramas, there's a moody, male central character, a board with pictures of suspects and victims and arrows, a femme fatale in a modernist house, an obstructive boss, a really violent, eccentric henchman etc. etc. It could be set anywhere, but they've chosen NI.

I only really watch it because it's Sunday evening, and it does make me laugh occasionally.

"The one obvious difference" is so major as to make it unformulaic.

Not seen anything else set in NI either (doesn't mean there aren't any out there of course); & a grand modernist house isn't exactly standard either.

Bloodlands on 14:34 - Oct 10 with 835 viewsBLUEBEAT

What has Nesbitt done to his eyebrows?

Truly alarmed when I first saw his/their return to the screen.

Am liking Bloodlands S2, though.

Poll: W or W

Bloodlands on 15:04 - Oct 10 with 807 viewsGeoffSentence

It's because he shoved a rose up his @rse in Cold Feet.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Bloodlands on 17:45 - Oct 10 with 748 viewsRyorry

Bloodlands on 10:39 - Oct 10 by thebooks

Too late for even a late edit, so just adding that it certainly couldn't be "set anywhere", as the plot centres around the historical divisions on the island of Ireland, "the troubles" etc.

Bloodlands on 19:52 - Oct 10 with 675 viewsEnigma_Blue

He may not be greatest actor ever but to say he can barely act is rediculous. He was excellent as and undercover police officer in Murphy's Law.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024