Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
A View from the Opposition 15:43 - Sep 26 with 3476 viewspafcprogs

After such kind words from a number of you on my little diversion on the game on Pasoti I thought I would offer up an admittedly TV based opinion of Sunday.

First of all kudos to the travellers amongst you and many thanks for an impeccably observed tribute to Ciderman Dave Smith...much appreciated.

As for the game well the boys on Sky duty seemed to like it...

Ladapo scoring was inevitable.....as soon as I saw his name on the team sheet I knew we needed two.

As for the Morsy tackle...well he has already broken one Argyle player ( Bolton last season) and that was a red card....

Evans could have gone as well, although I doubt he would have done the second challenge he got actually booked for if the one he should have had before pretending to be fouled by Edwards had happened.

The Mumba foul on Donacien was yellow/red borderline. I think he got away with it because the ref followed the ball and so didn't see the challenge...certainly that is how it looked for me ...but it was naughty.

Morsy seems to like playing on the edge....after the first goal he barged into Wilson from behind apparently...I guess he hopes to provoke a reaction. He may well be marked man with referees for a while now. He is such a good player but his tackling is going to end some poor sods career one day.

The Chaplin Houghton foul before the equaliser. definitely a foul. But thank goodness the ref played advantage rather than giving us the pen :) Chaplin was looking for Houghton trying to buy a free kick. Sometimes they get given but I felt play on was the right call ( you will be unsurprised to hear)

After the equaliser which was in my mind against the run of play there was only one team going to win it.

Great strike by Whitaker. His best game for us. When he started he seemed to want to beat the world and never pass....Schumacher has got him head up and playing well.

Our two leading scorers ( Hardie/Azaz) were out so we now have goals all round the team. Your press was excellent for sixty seventy minutes and we had to make a change to turn things round but Schumacher is gaining a reputation for being able to do that. Certainly more than Ryan Lowe ever managed....

Ennis looks like he pulled something....he played well and what a sub by Schumacher to bring on a 17 yo for his league debut to help see the game out. Will Jenkins-Davies. Thoughts are he will be some player. He almost beat three to get away toward the end....

I think Cooper clawed out the ball after Walton hit the bar. If so a fantastic stop and I for one thought it was in when he headed it. Walton had a good game generally. I was not too convinced by him previously but he was decent.

Naturally delighted with the win. I think it is consistently this season that we can go a goal down but heads don't drop...they seem to have a collective belief in the system. Acid test this weekend as we go to Why-come wanderers, a team who live rent free in the heads of Argyle fans .....every chance we will lose there but we travel optimistically for once.

Although a draw would be the best result for us I hope you hammer Pompous and Dastardly and Muttley Cowley.

Thought your left back was a class act too.

Overall hard fought, two good teams, and all three results were possible and plausible.

Suspect when we rock up to PR in January it will still be a top four game...I certainly hope so.

The One Game at a Time thread on Pasoti for our trip to the Adams Park Family has a pun laden highly biased review of the match if that isn't too soon.

https://pasoti.co.uk/threads/one-game-at-a-time-why-come-wanderers-a-october-1st

A View from the Opposition on 15:47 - Sep 26 with 3412 viewsDyland

"The Chaplin Houghton foul before the equaliser. definitely a foul. But thank goodness the ref played advantage rather than giving us the pen :) "

I beat you to that one ;)

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

A View from the Opposition on 16:03 - Sep 26 with 3285 viewsrickw

I didn't think it was a foul on Chaplin, he was clearly looking for it and it's one where ref's tend to give it as it's the easy decision but this one didn't.

You're right Morsy does live on the edge - he seems determined to get booked every game, but rarely gets sent off. I thought Morsy, Evans and Mumba's challenges were all similar, perhaps all red in the PL or all yellow here.

Poll: Of the Non Favourites for ITFC managers job who would you prefer
Blog: Reasons for Relegation

A View from the Opposition on 18:30 - Sep 26 with 2946 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Fair play.

Did have a read of one of the threads on your forum yesterday and it was 90% comments slagging off our fans for being arrogant. Which is nonsense seeing as most of us thought before the game it would be a tough match and probably take the draw.

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

A View from the Opposition on 18:44 - Sep 26 with 2870 viewsArnieM

A View from the Opposition on 18:30 - Sep 26 by The_Romford_Blue

Fair play.

Did have a read of one of the threads on your forum yesterday and it was 90% comments slagging off our fans for being arrogant. Which is nonsense seeing as most of us thought before the game it would be a tough match and probably take the draw.

I heard “ we are top of the league” from BOTH sets of fans. So guess that makes Polgrim fans arrogant too then !

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

A View from the Opposition on 07:15 - Sep 27 with 2407 viewspafcprogs

A View from the Opposition on 18:30 - Sep 26 by The_Romford_Blue

Fair play.

I know the thread you a re talking about and its standard post match fare....there a re as many people saying they had decent conversations with Ipswich fans after the game and comments that there a re plenty of Ipswich fans praising our performance.

The one who spouts the arrogant nonsense is frankly way over the top in language and expression of his opinion and doesn't reflect Argyle fans generally IMHO.

The one area people were most angry and vehement about was Morsy. We have one long term casualty of his thuggery and could easily have had another.

Water under the bridge now....and I hope to have some more sensible exchanges when January comes along ( with hopefully a congratulatory message after you beat Pompey Saturday..now they have got some interesting fans and opinions.)
A View from the Opposition on 08:21 - Sep 27 with 2235 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

"Walton had a good game generally. I was not too convinced by him previously but he was decent"-Would be shocked to hear how you got to that position given he has been exceptional since arriving here and before?

The thing about Morsy is, since he has been here he has been very good at managing being on a yellow card, after he was booked on Saturday (which should have been a red) i knew he wouldn't get sent off.

I thought the key to the game was the battle between Jackson and Mumba, as soon as we moved Jackson off him, he had complete run of the game. Big mistake from Mckenna.

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

A View from the Opposition on 11:17 - Sep 27 with 1905 viewspafcprogs

A View from the Opposition on 08:21 - Sep 27 by TRUE_BLUE123

"Walton had a good game generally. I was not too convinced by him previously but he was decent"-Would be shocked to hear how you got to that position given he has been exceptional since arriving here and before?

The thing about Morsy is, since he has been here he has been very good at managing being on a yellow card, after he was booked on Saturday (which should have been a red) i knew he wouldn't get sent off.

I thought the key to the game was the battle between Jackson and Mumba, as soon as we moved Jackson off him, he had complete run of the game. Big mistake from Mckenna.

So to be fair the Walton opinion was based on seeing him on various loans, including with us...albeit behind a rickety defence.

I guess you compare other keepers to what you have....so last season Cooper was superb, and we were all shocked at how much Southampton paid for Bazuma ...

Keepers mature at different rates and he had an excellent game Saturday. You know your keeper has done well when his worst aspect is his finishing :)

Morsy just seems to be a niggly player who knows the line but still crosses it...he may not have got sent off but he was less effective for me after the yellow (red)....and it was a needless yellow/challenge.

Mumba is a find for us.....no-one knew anything about him when he arrived...we do now. Good scouting/data analytics as pace at wing back was our biggest drawback last season down the left....it lets Mayor who was well patrolled yesterday work further up the pitch and he is creating more as a result...still can't shoot for toffee despite his YouTube highlights reel though.

Jackson did well, but chances are we would have swapped Mumba and Edwards if he had stayed on Mumba....done that a few times this season.

Watched the extended highlights and we had some good chances ( as did you) so as I said previously all three results were in play.

Nice to play the win. out for a change.....after last Saturday I think we were all expecting the last minute sucker punch again.

Now all we have to do is solve our "we need to talk about Why Come" problem.....
A View from the Opposition on 13:17 - Sep 27 with 1726 viewsTheBoyBlue

Thought it was two really good teams in a close contest, which as you say could've gone either way.

I think you're also right about the ref looking away from the Mumba foul for not booking him. I was more confused by the commentators suggesting he didn't deserve a booking like Evans and Morsy, because "he's not that type of player". Either it's a yellow card (or even red?) or not. Surely we're not expecting refs to make moral judgement calls on the characters of players before they make decisions?

Blog: [Blog] The Homer Simpson of the Championship

Login to get fewer ads

A View from the Opposition on 17:15 - Sep 27 with 1532 viewspafcprogs

A View from the Opposition on 13:17 - Sep 27 by TheBoyBlue

Thought it was two really good teams in a close contest, which as you say could've gone either way.

I think you're also right about the ref looking away from the Mumba foul for not booking him. I was more confused by the commentators suggesting he didn't deserve a booking like Evans and Morsy, because "he's not that type of player". Either it's a yellow card (or even red?) or not. Surely we're not expecting refs to make moral judgement calls on the characters of players before they make decisions?

If he sees it then based on the previous incidents it s yellow no question.
A View from the Opposition on 17:25 - Sep 27 with 1471 viewspointofblue

I think we need to get over the hump of beating one of the better teams in the division, so Saturday is key for us. We had both the Wednesday and Plymouth games in the palm of our hand and, in my mind, threw both away with poor mistakes on our part.

That's not to say Plymouth aren't a good team; course they are. But even 48 hours on I feel we're more of a work in progress than I thought. Champions? Top two? Top six? I don't know anymore. But many will, understandably, see this as an over-reaction. I'd just like to see us learn from our mistakes.

Well done on the win on Sunday and good luck for the rest of the season.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

A View from the Opposition on 17:28 - Sep 29 with 965 viewshappybeingblue

morsy was a red ,evans was not it was a follow through,mumba was cynical a red for me, chaplin dived i thought, that whittaker looked a class act, was a great game even though we lost,just ignore most of the town fans under 25 on twitter thats probably the arrogant ones you believe we have :) lots of embarrassing tweets on a regular basis, our boss should have brought dom ball on to stem the midfield as he should have done at sheff wed the week before. bannon ran the game there and rather than put a man on him he brought keogh on and invited more pressure but heyho its only end of sept lets not get too excited yet,lets see where we are in jan/feb.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024