Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Memories of Sheff Weds games 16:49 - Sep 15 with 2366 viewsgainsboroughblue

Will always remember that game at the start of 90-91. Lyall's first game in charge, they had just come down and possibly protested that they should have stayed in the First Division following Swindon's expulsion.

They had a very good side for that level that year. Sheridan, Palmer, Hirst et al and they brought down around 7k plus with some of them spilling on to the pitch at the NS end due to overcrowding. From memory, we didn't lay a glove on them and they done us 2-0.

The return was a lot better. We even went 2 up but Francis inspired them to a draw.

Can also recall a cup replay down here in the mid 80's. A very contentious last minute winner from Alan Sunderland.

A miserable 94-95 ended at Hillsborough, losing 1-4 and we lost our sh!t, mostly sarcastically, when Mathie netted.

Wasn't there also a sky televised game where Carlton Palmer walked through our whole team to score and Bontcho blazed a late penalty into orbit?

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Memories of Sheff Weds games on 16:52 - Sep 15 with 1640 viewsIllinoisblue

Was at both of those 90-91 games. It was weird to be at the Leppings Lane end. That Carlton Palmer worldie I’d forgotten about but just the other day it was doing the rounds on Twitter. Our defending was fantastically inept!

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Memories of Sheff Weds games on 17:00 - Sep 15 with 1616 viewsgainsboroughblue

Memories of Sheff Weds games on 16:52 - Sep 15 by Illinoisblue

Was at both of those 90-91 games. It was weird to be at the Leppings Lane end. That Carlton Palmer worldie I’d forgotten about but just the other day it was doing the rounds on Twitter. Our defending was fantastically inept!

What I often forget, is that Weds didn't actually go up as champs that year. They were third behind Oldham and Spammers.

Yeah. I was in the Leppings end that day too. We were on fire first thirty mins of that.

Memories of Sheff Weds games on 17:00 - Sep 15 with 1607 viewsEastTownBlue

That FA Cup match was on a Monday evening having played in the league on the Saturday which was followed by the Milk Cup semi final on the Wednesday. Such a mad run of fixtures wouldn't happen now.

The Carlton Palmer goal was the season before the Sky game where Bontcho missed that penalty.
Memories of Sheff Weds games on 17:02 - Sep 15 with 1600 viewsEastTownBlue

Memories of Sheff Weds games on 17:00 - Sep 15 by gainsboroughblue

What I often forget, is that Weds didn't actually go up as champs that year. They were third behind Oldham and Spammers.

Yeah. I was in the Leppings end that day too. We were on fire first thirty mins of that.

Third but they did win the League Cup as well that year.
Memories of Sheff Weds games on 17:03 - Sep 15 with 1592 viewsgainsboroughblue

Memories of Sheff Weds games on 17:00 - Sep 15 by EastTownBlue

That FA Cup match was on a Monday evening having played in the league on the Saturday which was followed by the Milk Cup semi final on the Wednesday. Such a mad run of fixtures wouldn't happen now.

The Carlton Palmer goal was the season before the Sky game where Bontcho missed that penalty.

Ah, was it? To be honest, the 93-94 and 94-95 seasons merge as one long miserable memory.
[Post edited 15 Sep 2022 17:06]

Memories of Sheff Weds games on 17:05 - Sep 15 with 1570 viewsSimonds92

Mick McCarthys Ipswich, 1-1 i think Michail Antonio scored the equaliser for them? I was very hungover from a student night and that is one of the worst games of football i have ever seen. Im sure the ball was in play for a total of 25mins.
Memories of Sheff Weds games on 17:11 - Sep 15 with 1533 viewsSitfcB

Carlos Edwards screamer on his debut in a 1-0 win.

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Memories of Sheff Weds games on 17:22 - Sep 15 with 1493 viewsSweetman

I remember when we lost 2-1 there in the Hurst era, and Nsiala got one of the most ridiculous reds ever.
Login to get fewer ads

Memories of Sheff Weds games on 17:23 - Sep 15 with 1491 viewsSitfcB

Chambers’ late winner, big scenes.

Lawrence spectacular aswell.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/37807840

COYB

Memories of Sheff Weds games on 17:28 - Sep 15 with 1479 viewsHipsterectomy

Memories of Sheff Weds games on 17:23 - Sep 15 by SitfcB

Chambers’ late winner, big scenes.

Lawrence spectacular aswell.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/37807840

"That performance and result today reflects my time at Ipswich. That is more like my team and how I have been."

>39% possession

well he wasn't lying

Walter Smith's Barmy Army

Memories of Sheff Weds games on 17:45 - Sep 15 with 1443 viewsSawtrich

Was there a League Cup quarter final 1-0 defeat up there? Possibly a replay. We were wearing all white kit and Kiwomya hit the bar with a header. I may have misremembered any number of those details.
Memories of Sheff Weds games on 17:48 - Sep 15 with 1437 viewsSitfcB

Memories of Sheff Weds games on 17:28 - Sep 15 by Hipsterectomy

"That performance and result today reflects my time at Ipswich. That is more like my team and how I have been."

>39% possession

well he wasn't lying

A win in the Championship, TWTD.

COYB

Memories of Sheff Weds games on 17:53 - Sep 15 with 1428 viewsgainsboroughblue

Memories of Sheff Weds games on 17:45 - Sep 15 by Sawtrich

Was there a League Cup quarter final 1-0 defeat up there? Possibly a replay. We were wearing all white kit and Kiwomya hit the bar with a header. I may have misremembered any number of those details.

92-93. Hirst missed an absolute sitter for them and got injured in the process in the game down here. Lost the replay. They got to the final and lost to Arsenal, as they did in the FA Cup final same season.

Memories of Sheff Weds games on 17:54 - Sep 15 with 1425 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

Memories of Sheff Weds games on 17:45 - Sep 15 by Sawtrich

Was just thinking the same. League cup replay seems to ring a bell.
Also remember a very long walk back to the station and I think it was after a defeat that as good as sealed our relegation from the old first division though that might be gobbledegook.

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

Memories of Sheff Weds games on 18:02 - Sep 15 with 1399 viewsMach_foreignBlue

Memories of Sheff Weds games on 17:11 - Sep 15 by SitfcB

Carlos Edwards screamer on his debut in a 1-0 win.

That wasn't his debut as he had joined us a few months before.
Memories of Sheff Weds games (n/t) on 18:03 - Sep 15 with 1397 viewsitfc_bucks

Mainly that we never seem to get a result there.

Or at villa park.

Two facts that always seemed to be replicated on football manager for me, as well....
[Post edited 15 Sep 2022 18:04]
Memories of Sheff Weds games on 18:05 - Sep 15 with 1389 viewsBlackShuckBlue

Memories of Sheff Weds games on 18:02 - Sep 15 by Mach_foreignBlue

That wasn't his debut as he had joined us a few months before.

It was his first Town goal though I think.
Memories of Sheff Weds games on 18:08 - Sep 15 with 1380 viewsMach_foreignBlue

Memories of Sheff Weds games on 18:05 - Sep 15 by BlackShuckBlue

It was his first Town goal though I think.

Yes.
Memories of Sheff Weds games on 18:45 - Sep 15 with 1329 viewsbrazil1982

I recall the away game of 90/91 as one of our best ever away performances. Not the result as such, but the performance.
Memories of Sheff Weds games on 18:54 - Sep 15 with 1317 viewsITFC_Forever

As others have said, the two games in 1990-91, they were excellent at PR on the opening day and brought about a million fans with them. We came back from a holiday on the North Yorkshire coast that morning, and virtually every car we passed on the A1 had SWFC fans in it.

I also went to the away game, our best performance of the season in a 2-2 draw, we were indeed excellent in the first half, and I recall the TWTD report from the time said it seemed that during a break in play, the Owls players stood around scratching their heads trying to work out how to get the ball off us.
It was very eerie sitting behind the Leppings Lane end, before the match, Craig Forrest refused to get the ball from the terrace and you could see some of the bent crush barriers there.

A couple of years later in November 1992, Kiwomya nabbed a late equaliser in another entertaining draw.

Then we had a couple of heavy defeats, 0-5 in April 1994 near the end of the season and a 1-4 defeat in the last game (or last away game anyway) of the season in 1995.
For the 0-5, as an impoverished student, I tried to save a few pennies by paying to get in the lower Leppings Lane stand with the aim of explaining to the stewards I was an away fan who had mistakenly gone through the wrong turnstiles. Not until after I’d walked through the tunnel of death though, I was halfway through it and realised where I was - my blood ran cold.

P 1125, W 501, D 288, L 336, F 1709, A 1360
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Memories of Sheff Weds games on 19:04 - Sep 15 with 1303 viewsmonkeymagic

My two main memories are unpleasant: both from 1985/86 season.
Prior to the home fixture, me and my mate Glen had to leg it from about 6-7 of their fans. We hid in John Menzies.
In the last away game I travelled up to Hillsborough. Wednesday beat us 1-0 with a very late (Brian Marwood?) winner. Without that, we might not have gone down in ‘86 and it’s too soon to forgive and forget. Although to be fair, Arsenal were also to blame for not turning up at Oxford on the final day.
Memories of Sheff Weds games on 19:06 - Sep 15 with 1297 viewsRadlett_blue

Drawing 2-2 in 2017 in the Mick era when we dominated the game, they should have ahd a defender red carded for disembowelling McGoldrick & they brought on the 6'6" circus giant Nuhiu, who hadn't scored in his previous 42 games & he headed a late equaliser.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Memories of Sheff Weds games on 19:09 - Sep 15 with 1277 viewstractordownsouth

I've told this story on here before but my first time in the SBR lower was the 2-1 win over Wednesday in 2015.

Bloke next to me spent the whole game unironically chanting "you'll never play for England" at Irish international goalkeeper Keiran Westwood.

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

Memories of Sheff Weds games on 19:10 - Sep 15 with 1271 viewstractordownsouth

Memories of Sheff Weds games on 19:06 - Sep 15 by Radlett_blue

Drawing 2-2 in 2017 in the Mick era when we dominated the game, they should have ahd a defender red carded for disembowelling McGoldrick & they brought on the 6'6" circus giant Nuhiu, who hadn't scored in his previous 42 games & he headed a late equaliser.

95th minute disappointment aside, that was a great game. Huws and Waghorn were very good that night.

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

Memories of Sheff Weds games on 19:29 - Sep 15 with 1240 viewsjudespiveyg

First game for me at Hillsborough was last January. Wednesday scored early, don't think Town had a shot on goal. Spent most of the second half wondering if I should join in with the 'you have to live here, we get to go home' chant. Spent longer waiting for a tram that wasn't packed than it would have taken me to walk back.

I survived Ipswich 0-0 Burton

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024