Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The "new striker dilemma".... 10:06 - Aug 16 with 2372 viewsBloots

....the way I see it we have 3 options:

1. Get a different type of striker in, a goalscorer, a finisher, like Hirst. Probably involve a decent fee or hefty wages for a loan.

2. Get a similar player to Ladapo in, trust Ladapo and use the alternate as a replacement if and when required. Less money, if any.

3. Get an upgrade to Ladapo in that plays the same way. Again probably a big fee or an expensive loan.

Personally I'd go with option 3, I think it suits the rest of our squad and whilst Ladapo has done well so far, I'm not sure if he could perform at that level for the whole season.

Enduringly lovable, intelligent and thunderingly exquisite.

The "new striker dilemma".... on 10:08 - Aug 16 with 1787 viewstextbackup

i'd go number 2.

2 x Ladapo's - means our style/play isnt comprised
[Post edited 16 Aug 2022 10:18]

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

The "new striker dilemma".... on 10:09 - Aug 16 with 1777 viewsElderGrizzly

On 3, hasn't Ladapo just proven with Rotherham he can do it all season?
The "new striker dilemma".... on 10:13 - Aug 16 with 1720 viewsmarkchips

The "new striker dilemma".... on 10:09 - Aug 16 by ElderGrizzly

Ladapo had Smith to help out at Rotherham .

I do think we need some sort of similar player, as Ladapo will benefit from being rotated . It is a long old season and injuries are to be expected .

I suppose with option one we have to find someone who is prepared to do the pressing well too and good finishers aren't necessarily going to excel at this .
The "new striker dilemma".... on 10:16 - Aug 16 with 1681 viewstextbackup

The "new striker dilemma".... on 10:13 - Aug 16 by markchips

I do think we need some sort of similar player, as Ladapo will benefit from being rotated . It is a long old season and injuries are to be expected .

I suppose with option one we have to find someone who is prepared to do the pressing well too and good finishers aren't necessarily going to excel at this .

aged 47 i still want Billy Sharp

I think he tailed off.... on 10:16 - Aug 16 with 1689 viewsBloots

The "new striker dilemma".... on 10:09 - Aug 16 by ElderGrizzly

.....quite a lot after Christmas and was on the bench a lot towards the end of the season.

Plus he was playing in a 2 up front, so a different type of role.

He may do fine, but I'm sure we could get an upgrade.

The "new striker dilemma".... on 10:17 - Aug 16 with 1677 viewsElderGrizzly

The "new striker dilemma".... on 10:13 - Aug 16 by markchips

I agree we need another option, as we feel a player light especially without a loan window to fall back on.

I guess it's convincing a player he will get enough game time here, especially if it is only a loan.
Agree on not compromising the style..... on 10:19 - Aug 16 with 1657 viewsBloots

The "new striker dilemma".... on 10:08 - Aug 16 by textbackup

i'd go number 2.

2 x Ladapo's - means our style/play isnt comprised
[Post edited 16 Aug 2022 10:18]

....I'm just not 100% sure Ladapo is the best we can get.

I see that Hugill isn't getting near the Scum squad at the moment.

The "new striker dilemma".... on 10:20 - Aug 16 with 1629 viewstextbackup

The "new striker dilemma".... on 10:17 - Aug 16 by ElderGrizzly

I agree we need another option, as we feel a player light especially without a loan window to fall back on.

I guess it's convincing a player he will get enough game time here, especially if it is only a loan.

If only piggott wasnt so slow, and crap, he'd have been our fallback option.

as it is, we have KJ to come on and run about with no purpose or end product

Login to get fewer ads

Put it another way..... on 10:20 - Aug 16 with 1631 viewsBloots

The "new striker dilemma".... on 10:17 - Aug 16 by ElderGrizzly

....when we signed Ladapo, did you think we'd go into the season with him as our first choice lone centre forward?

I didn't.

I still think we might get an equivalent in, but of a higher calibre.

Agree on not compromising the style..... on 10:22 - Aug 16 with 1618 viewstextbackup

Agree on not compromising the style..... on 10:19 - Aug 16 by Bloots

....I'm just not 100% sure Ladapo is the best we can get.

I see that Hugill isn't getting near the Scum squad at the moment.

Yeah someone like him would be a hell of a get for us.

trying to think of other players in that mould, but my level of knowing players from other teams stopped in about 2005

Put it another way..... on 10:22 - Aug 16 with 1616 viewsElderGrizzly

Put it another way..... on 10:20 - Aug 16 by Bloots

....when we signed Ladapo, did you think we'd go into the season with him as our first choice lone centre forward?

I didn't.

I still think we might get an equivalent in, but of a higher calibre.

I agree with you. It does feel there is another striker/attacking option to come. Ladapo was a Mick signing. Safe, proven but not going to win you the league.

Maybe McKenna thinks he's Pep and doesn't need more than one No.9 and will just have 3 or 4 buzzing around up top.
Put it another way..... on 10:25 - Aug 16 with 1556 viewstextbackup

Put it another way..... on 10:22 - Aug 16 by ElderGrizzly

I agree with you. It does feel there is another striker/attacking option to come. Ladapo was a Mick signing. Safe, proven but not going to win you the league.

Maybe McKenna thinks he's Pep and doesn't need more than one No.9 and will just have 3 or 4 buzzing around up top.

"Maybe McKenna thinks he's Pep and doesn't need more than one No.9 and will just have 3 or 4 buzzing around up top."

the more i watch us the more i think this really might be the case. especially after his "i dont care who scores" comment, no pressure or expectation put on Ladapo. its an interesting one

Maybe, but I'd hope not.... on 10:28 - Aug 16 with 1512 viewsBloots

Put it another way..... on 10:22 - Aug 16 by ElderGrizzly

...having a CF that can hold it up and bring our numerous number 10s into the game is important to us.

The "new striker dilemma".... on 10:33 - Aug 16 with 1477 viewsGuthrum

Is option 2 not what we already have in John-Jules?

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Nah, different type of player IMHO. (n/t) on 10:38 - Aug 16 with 1437 viewsBloots

The "new striker dilemma".... on 10:33 - Aug 16 by Guthrum

Is option 2 not what we already have in John-Jules?

The "new striker dilemma".... on 10:38 - Aug 16 with 1438 viewsLeoMuff

Isn’t Ladapo quite similar in style to Hirst ? We definitely need another forward with those hold up, win headers, get shots off style as competition/cover as if Ladapo got injured we are in a bit of a hole..

The only Muff in Town.
Poll: Lamberts rotational policy has left us....

Are people missing the point? on 10:40 - Aug 16 with 1424 viewsunstableblue

We need a striker for our system in the same mould as Ladapo... either better than him or as a back-up.. finisher, physical, hold-up, tires defenders

JJ and Jackson are different strikers who provide options when a Ladapo striker approach is not working

I think the point is that if Ladapo gets injured, we're up sh!t creek, and McKenna wants true cover for every position.

For example I bet you something that is keeping McKenna up at night at the moment is Ball fitness... as if Evans or Morsy gets injured we'd be in trouble.

I thank you

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Agreed. Balls indeed. (n/t) on 10:42 - Aug 16 with 1399 viewsBloots

Are people missing the point? on 10:40 - Aug 16 by unstableblue

We need a striker for our system in the same mould as Ladapo... either better than him or as a back-up.. finisher, physical, hold-up, tires defenders

JJ and Jackson are different strikers who provide options when a Ladapo striker approach is not working

I think the point is that if Ladapo gets injured, we're up sh!t creek, and McKenna wants true cover for every position.

For example I bet you something that is keeping McKenna up at night at the moment is Ball fitness... as if Evans or Morsy gets injured we'd be in trouble.

I thank you

The "new striker dilemma".... on 10:44 - Aug 16 with 1399 viewsKieran_Knows

If we're in the market for Hirst, who is likely to cost somewhere around £2m+, then I'd suggest it's option 1, isn't it?

FWIW (not that anyone cares), I do think there is one relatively big signing left this summer (say £1m+), whether that's Hirst or another striker.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Agreed. Balls indeed. (n/t) on 10:51 - Aug 16 with 1335 viewsunstableblue

Agreed. Balls indeed. (n/t) on 10:42 - Aug 16 by Bloots

Going to be interesting on Ball, in a pre-season interview it was very clear he wants a starting position and he'll be frustrated if not. I think Ball would be a game changer for Town when we're playing stronger central midfield partners, such as Sheff Weds and Derby. Proper physicality and some real craft in short passing.

Really hope Ball shrugs this injury off and goes on a run of fitness and games.

BUT, and its a big BUT.... Evans is perhaps suiting the system better at the moment. What was noticeable on Saturday is that as our left is becoming more threatening, MK were having to shift players across to counter Edmundson, Leif and Harness... which then freed the pivot of Donacien as wing back and an overload from Burns/Chaplin..

Evans has the longer fast crossfield pass to then switch wings and expose the opposition. Similarly, when the opposition get drawn across to deal with the three spider men.. Leif is freed, and Evans is unique in having that crossfield punched ball into the left channel for Leif to pick up.

I really think Wolfenden is being coached to provide a similar function.

Certainly, this new Town treat is going to see teams increasingly go deep against us. Expect that tonight.

I thank you Bloots, and await my uppie.

Those balls from..... on 10:59 - Aug 16 with 1285 viewsBloots

Agreed. Balls indeed. (n/t) on 10:51 - Aug 16 by unstableblue

Going to be interesting on Ball, in a pre-season interview it was very clear he wants a starting position and he'll be frustrated if not. I think Ball would be a game changer for Town when we're playing stronger central midfield partners, such as Sheff Weds and Derby. Proper physicality and some real craft in short passing.

Really hope Ball shrugs this injury off and goes on a run of fitness and games.

BUT, and its a big BUT.... Evans is perhaps suiting the system better at the moment. What was noticeable on Saturday is that as our left is becoming more threatening, MK were having to shift players across to counter Edmundson, Leif and Harness... which then freed the pivot of Donacien as wing back and an overload from Burns/Chaplin..

Evans has the longer fast crossfield pass to then switch wings and expose the opposition. Similarly, when the opposition get drawn across to deal with the three spider men.. Leif is freed, and Evans is unique in having that crossfield punched ball into the left channel for Leif to pick up.

I really think Wolfenden is being coached to provide a similar function.

Certainly, this new Town treat is going to see teams increasingly go deep against us. Expect that tonight.

I thank you Bloots, and await my uppie.

....Evans to Davis were exceptional balls.

Are they the type of balls that Ball can produce?

Ball is more of a short ball type of player.

Or is that a load of balls?

Balls.

Those balls from..... on 11:03 - Aug 16 with 1227 viewsunstableblue

Those balls from..... on 10:59 - Aug 16 by Bloots

Balls.

We need more balls

(I value your uppie, I value you)

The "new striker dilemma".... on 11:03 - Aug 16 with 1236 viewsgmanrom

Hirst a different type of player then is he? He's 6ft 3 do surely a target man who scores also, surely that would be ideal?

Poll: In the next 5 years what league do you us settling in?

Those balls from..... on 11:04 - Aug 16 with 1215 viewsBlueBadger

Those balls from..... on 10:59 - Aug 16 by Bloots

Balls.

Lambert out.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Where would it be funniest to see NCFC fans crying on the telly?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

The "new striker dilemma".... on 11:16 - Aug 16 with 1138 viewsBlueBadger

Ideally what we need to do, is go back in time, clone James Scowcroft from the 99/00 season and get McKenna to give him the number 9 role.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Where would it be funniest to see NCFC fans crying on the telly?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024