Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Just another liar? 11:36 - Jul 14 with 1084 viewsmylittletown

A letter in the Guardian today.

Readers should recall that the Tory leadership candidate Penny Mordaunt is best known for persistently purveying falsehoods during the 2016 EU referendum campaign. During a TV interview with Andrew Marr, playing on fears of mass immigration, she claimed that Britain would not be able to stop Turkey joining the EU.

As a former EU ambassador to Turkey, I can confirm that Turkey was not and is not in line for EU membership. Its membership of the EU customs union does not grant it free movement of people. Britain always had a veto over any aspiring member, and if Mordaunt had previously had any credibility, her infamous dishonesty about Turkey destroyed it. I thought part of the reason for ditching Boris Johnson was his habit of lying.
Michael Lake
EU official and diplomat, 1973-2001
Just another liar? on 11:39 - Jul 14 with 1034 viewssurreyblue

As important as it is to get this information out there, having it published in the Guardian rather than a newspaper that would actually be read by Tory members feels like a bit of a cop out
Just another liar? on 11:40 - Jul 14 with 1022 viewspointofblue

Just another liar? on 11:39 - Jul 14 by surreyblue

As important as it is to get this information out there, having it published in the Guardian rather than a newspaper that would actually be read by Tory members feels like a bit of a cop out

Though would the majority of Conservative members care? It’s a lie about foreigners, after all.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Just another liar? on 11:56 - Jul 14 with 977 viewsWeWereZombies

Just another liar? on 11:40 - Jul 14 by pointofblue

Though would the majority of Conservative members care? It’s a lie about foreigners, after all.

Especially as one of the big reasons that Turkey will not gain European Union accession is the French veto (on account of the Armenian holocaust) and I guess if France wants to do one thing the instinct of most Conservative Party members would be to do the opposite...

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

Just another liar? on 12:46 - Jul 14 with 831 viewsmylittletown

I very much doubt if the Mail, Express or even the Telegraph or Times would publish it.
Just another liar? on 14:01 - Jul 14 with 728 viewsfactual_blue

Just another liar? on 12:46 - Jul 14 by mylittletown

I very much doubt if the Mail, Express or even the Telegraph or Times would publish it.

....Particularly as it's from a former EU diplomat....

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Just another liar? on 14:14 - Jul 14 with 714 viewsjeera

I'm sure any other publication is free to make a request to use the material.

No doubt they'll be putting in their bids as we speak.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Just another liar? on 14:52 - Jul 14 with 677 viewsSwansea_Blue

Cameron called her out at the time of the referendum for misrepresenting our veto position. She's still doubling down on that 6 years later.

A project built on lies by liars. I personally don't see how one of those liars is going to be able to make the best (i.e. minimise the damage) of leaving the EU, as they refuse to acknowledge and problems that need ironing out.

I can't see this leadership election changing much to the macro-economic and social prospects of the UK tbh.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Just another liar? on 15:08 - Jul 14 with 647 viewsHARRY10

Just another liar? on 12:46 - Jul 14 by mylittletown

It matters little if they did, Brexit was never about facts, or reasoned argument. It came down to something fairly basic..... racism/xenophobia.

So whether Mordaunt was correct over Turkey (she was not) it counts for little, she was on their side.

That so (relatively few ) have been won over since the evidence of the harm Brexit is now causing underpins my point.

As the old sating goes,

'You can lead a rightie to water, but you can't make him think'
Login to get fewer ads

Just another liar? on 17:33 - Jul 14 with 532 viewsWeWereZombies

Just another liar? on 15:08 - Jul 14 by HARRY10

It matters little if they did, Brexit was never about facts, or reasoned argument. It came down to something fairly basic..... racism/xenophobia.

So whether Mordaunt was correct over Turkey (she was not) it counts for little, she was on their side.

That so (relatively few ) have been won over since the evidence of the harm Brexit is now causing underpins my point.

As the old sating goes,

'You can lead a rightie to water, but you can't make him think'

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024