Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
new Covid mutation BA 2.75 11:02 - Jul 13 with 1497 viewsBogblue

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/jul/12/centaurus-virologists-express-conc

'“It’s not so much the exact mutations, more the number/combination,” said Dr Tom Peacock, a virologist at Imperial College London, who was the first to identify Omicron as a potential concern back in November 2021. “It’s hard to predict the effect of that many mutations appearing together — it gives the virus a bit of a ‘wildcard’ property where the sum of the parts could be worse than the parts individually.

'In addition to vaccines, longer-term plans should include variant-agnostic measures to prevent infections and reinfections. “This includes creating infection-resilient environments through improved ventilation, filtration, or sterilisation of indoor air, sensible reprovision of lateral flow tests, and appropriate and supported isolation periods that will actually reduce ongoing transmission,” he said.'

Not much chance of those ventilation, free testing or supported isolation mitigations in the UK right now methinks...
[Post edited 13 Jul 2022 11:06]
new Covid mutation BA 2.75 on 15:34 - Jul 13 with 1280 viewsChurchman

Of course the government should do as suggested. But to save money, and presumably, because there’s no longer anything in it for them in kickbacks, they’ve abandoned Coronavirus as a problem. I suspect any booster vaccination will be abandoned on cost too, apart from for the very vulnerable and the privileged maybe.

Johnson’s cherished policy of let the bodies pile high is alive and well so none of the obviously sensible actions will be taken.
new Covid mutation BA 2.75 on 05:08 - Jul 14 with 1010 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Just wait for 3.5555
new Covid mutation BA 2.75 on 09:19 - Jul 14 with 813 viewsSwansea_Blue

new Covid mutation BA 2.75 on 15:34 - Jul 13 by Churchman

Of course the government should do as suggested. But to save money, and presumably, because there’s no longer anything in it for them in kickbacks, they’ve abandoned Coronavirus as a problem. I suspect any booster vaccination will be abandoned on cost too, apart from for the very vulnerable and the privileged maybe.

Johnson’s cherished policy of let the bodies pile high is alive and well so none of the obviously sensible actions will be taken.

I assumed they’d given up on boosters. I should have had one a couple of months back, but not heard a peep about it.

I’ve a close colleague really ill with it at the moment. Most cases seem to be mild, but it can cause a few very nasty surprises. Just a game of chance now.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

new Covid mutation BA 2.75 on 09:42 - Jul 14 with 788 viewsCBBlue

new Covid mutation BA 2.75 on 09:19 - Jul 14 by Swansea_Blue

I assumed they’d given up on boosters. I should have had one a couple of months back, but not heard a peep about it.

I’ve a close colleague really ill with it at the moment. Most cases seem to be mild, but it can cause a few very nasty surprises. Just a game of chance now.

My husband is CEV and had his 3rd booster back in Nov. He didn't fit the more narrow criteria for the Spring booster so presumably has to wait until the Autumn for his next. Seeing as they were rushing to get EVERYONE a 3rd jab back in Jan not sure why they're so laid back now with the CEV especially as chances of encountering it is pretty much guaranteed with zero restrictions.

Poll: School on Monday - are you sending in your R, Y1 or Y6 kids?

BA 275 is..... on 09:53 - Jul 14 with 766 viewsBloots

....the 18:25 flight from Heathrow to Las Vegas.

I wouldn't worry about it, it will probably get cancelled.

Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Elite Level Human

new Covid mutation BA 2.75 on 10:08 - Jul 14 with 730 viewsStokieBlue

new Covid mutation BA 2.75 on 09:19 - Jul 14 by Swansea_Blue

The BA.5 variant has mutations which allow it to infect lung tissue rather than throat tissue (making it more like a highly contagious version of a scaled down Delta). This is leading to more cases of severe disease but nothing like historic levels at the moment.

It was pointed out last year that viruses don't always mutate to become more harmless and this seems to be one of those cases. The BA.2.75 variant seems to be able to outcompete BA.5 which would indicate it's more contagious but I haven't seen any research yet regarding whether it's infections are restricted to the throat or are also infecting lung tissue. BA.2.75 has all the spike protein mutations of BA.5 plus a whole load more (36 in total, for comparison, Alpha didn't even have 36 amino acid mutations in their whole genome). There is also a variant of BA.2.275 (BA.2.276) in India but no analysis has been done yet.

This is a good technical article for anyone who wants to understand the science:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/williamhaseltine/2022/07/11/ba275-a-dark-horse-in-t

Both variants have extremely high levels of protection-avoidance. If they do want to do boosters again (which is debatable) it should probably be with a version based more on the mutations we see in Omicron that then original Wuhan strain.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

new Covid mutation BA 2.75 on 10:24 - Jul 14 with 649 viewswkj

new Covid mutation BA 2.75 on 10:08 - Jul 14 by StokieBlue

The BA.5 variant has mutations which allow it to infect lung tissue rather than throat tissue (making it more like a highly contagious version of a scaled down Delta). This is leading to more cases of severe disease but nothing like historic levels at the moment.

It was pointed out last year that viruses don't always mutate to become more harmless and this seems to be one of those cases. The BA.2.75 variant seems to be able to outcompete BA.5 which would indicate it's more contagious but I haven't seen any research yet regarding whether it's infections are restricted to the throat or are also infecting lung tissue. BA.2.75 has all the spike protein mutations of BA.5 plus a whole load more (36 in total, for comparison, Alpha didn't even have 36 amino acid mutations in their whole genome). There is also a variant of BA.2.275 (BA.2.276) in India but no analysis has been done yet.

This is a good technical article for anyone who wants to understand the science:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/williamhaseltine/2022/07/11/ba275-a-dark-horse-in-t

Both variants have extremely high levels of protection-avoidance. If they do want to do boosters again (which is debatable) it should probably be with a version based more on the mutations we see in Omicron that then original Wuhan strain.

SB

Reported this as abuse. Science is trolling.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to see join us IN THE PREMIER LEAGUE
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024