Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
"Buy cheaper food peasants" 08:56 - May 4 with 4240 viewsSteve_M

Every day this government shows itself a little more unfit for office:

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

"Buy cheaper food peasants" on 09:00 - May 4 with 2206 viewsGlasgowBlue

Completely out of touch. He should meet up with Jack Monroe who could educate him very quickly.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

"Buy cheaper food peasants" on 09:03 - May 4 with 2200 viewsPinewoodblue

It is hidden inflation that is difficult to spot. Noticed last night that new container of drinking chocolate contains 10% less than the last one but same price. Thought at first it was in a bigger container, larger diameter.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

"Buy cheaper food peasants" on 09:11 - May 4 with 2160 viewshomer_123

Remove the words 'a little more'.
[Post edited 4 May 2022 9:12]

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

"Buy cheaper food peasants" on 09:29 - May 4 with 2104 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

"Buy cheaper food peasants" on 09:37 - May 4 with 2092 viewstextbackup

Just common sense surely isn’t it?

Or am I missing something obvious?

I can’t afford to buy branded products all the time, but I don’t expect the government to help me out so that I can.

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

"Buy cheaper food peasants" on 09:44 - May 4 with 2056 viewshomer_123

"Buy cheaper food peasants" on 09:37 - May 4 by textbackup

I can’t afford to buy branded products all the time, but I don’t expect the government to help me out so that I can.

Hang on a sec - let me go buy some of that un-branded - budget oil and gas......
[Post edited 4 May 2022 9:44]

"Buy cheaper food peasants" on 09:45 - May 4 with 2054 viewsLord_Lucan

Yes, it's common sense but I think the issue is that a Tory said it.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

"Buy cheaper food peasants" on 09:46 - May 4 with 2037 viewshomer_123

"Buy cheaper food peasants" on 09:45 - May 4 by Lord_Lucan

Not really that it's a Tory - more that if any politician thinks that's going to help anyone on the bread line 'manage' their household budget, just shows how out of touch they are.
[Post edited 4 May 2022 9:49]

Login to get fewer ads

"Buy cheaper food peasants" on 09:47 - May 4 with 2029 viewsJohnWarksTash

And if you already buy the value stuff as a budget supermarket where do you go from there? Bin diving?

The tories, and most labour MP's have no idea how hard it is for some people. Suggestions like this are pointless and insulting.
"Buy cheaper food peasants" on 09:52 - May 4 with 1999 viewsLord_Lucan

"Buy cheaper food peasants" on 09:46 - May 4 by homer_123

Not really that it's a Tory - more that if any politician thinks that's going to help anyone on the bread line 'manage' their household budget, just shows how out of touch they are.
[Post edited 4 May 2022 9:49]

Well of course it will help a bit - what would help more though is if people started to cook fresh food rather than frozen pre packs and the like*******

*******And before someone shoots me, I'm extremely aware of the cost of food prices rising and because I am a secret softie I think about people who struggle every time I walk around the supermarket. I think it's a terrible problem and a whole lot more needs to be done to put more money in peoples pockets.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

"Buy cheaper food peasants" on 09:58 - May 4 with 1971 viewstextbackup

"Buy cheaper food peasants" on 09:44 - May 4 by homer_123

Hang on a sec - let me go buy some of that un-branded - budget oil and gas......
[Post edited 4 May 2022 9:44]

I thought only food was mentioned? Not oil/gas

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

"Buy cheaper food peasants" on 10:03 - May 4 with 1958 viewsJ2BLUE

I doubt anyone struggling to afford food is buying branded products.

The recently Asda Smart Price stuff is proof of this.

A lot of people would be pretty relieved if their problems were solved by swapping Kellogg's cereal and Heinz beans for cheaper varieties.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

"Buy cheaper food peasants" on 10:05 - May 4 with 1941 viewsSTYG

No.

This is the new 'people on benefits all have sky and have loads of money for beer and fags'.

It's assuming that decent, hard-working people, who are struggling like hell to keep their heads above water are spending £4 on M&S finest chocolate bourbons when they are in fact already buying the 39p equivalent from Lidl or Aldi.

People aren't generally stupid. We all know how easy it is to throw a load of veg and a bit of cheap meat in a slow cooker (assuming you have one) but it now costs more to run the bloody thing that it would to buy an expensive ready meal.

People aren't letting their kids starve because they are frittering on luxury goods. They are going for the cheapest everything and still not being able to manage because of the state of this country under Tory rule.
"Buy cheaper food peasants" on 10:12 - May 4 with 1914 viewsDarth_Koont

I’ve corrected it for him.

“Generally speaking, what people find is that by paying more tax – and accumulating less wealth on the back of a majority who are accumulating more debt – then their household budget is pretty much intact.”

Just common sense really. Given everything that’s affecting the lower 70% of the population, while the top 30% have seen their wealth grow.

Pronouns: He/Him

"Buy cheaper food peasants" on 10:13 - May 4 with 1907 viewsSTYG

"Buy cheaper food peasants" on 09:47 - May 4 by JohnWarksTash

And if you already buy the value stuff as a budget supermarket where do you go from there? Bin diving?

The tories, and most labour MP's have no idea how hard it is for some people. Suggestions like this are pointless and insulting.

There's never any mitigating factors or compassion with that lot. It's always buy cheaper food or have less kids.

A guy who goes to football with us had a good job on well above average pay. His partner worked 50% with their two kids at high school. They decided to have another child about three years ago it must be, because they could comfortably afford it.

He then lost his job after six months into Covid when the firm just decided to pack it in. He struggled to get another job initially and then got one working longer hours for less pay. His wife could go back to work full time, but the childcare bills for the next year until the kid is in school would be more than she would earn in the difference.

They shop in the cheapest shops, have cancelled their sky and netflix, never go out, do absolutely the bear minimum and we've all chipped in this season and paid for tickets so he can come to the odd game as he gave up his season ticket too.

Perfectly sensible guy, hard worker and their family is absolutely shafted. I dread to think what other families are going through with one parent or both unemployed, with more mouths to feed and so on.

There is too much money in this country for anyone to have to go to a food bank and that's not even the biggest issue anymore.
"Buy cheaper food peasants" on 10:17 - May 4 with 1867 viewsMookamoo

"Buy cheaper food peasants" on 09:58 - May 4 by textbackup

I thought only food was mentioned? Not oil/gas

It is all connected.

Even those that are forced to use food banks are not taking the cheap staples like potatoes because they can afford to cook them.
"Buy cheaper food peasants" on 10:43 - May 4 with 1798 viewsMattinLondon

It is common sense but it’s another example of a privileged privately educated politician thinking that less well-off people are wasteful with money. And it does tend to be a certain demographic of Tory that comes out with stuff like that.
"Buy cheaper food peasants" on 10:47 - May 4 with 1786 viewsSteve_M

Yes, it's 'common sense' but the lack of context is crucial here. Are people struggling to feed themselves as well as their children really unaware that some products are cheaper than others?

After 12 years of Tory government, food bank usage had soared even before the cost of living spiked over the last few months. It's a fundamental failing of government, of leadership to come out with patronising statements like that instead of starting to address an enormous problem for the country.

"Buy cheaper food peasants" on 10:50 - May 4 with 1754 viewstractordownsouth

"Buy cheaper food peasants" on 09:00 - May 4 by GlasgowBlue

Completely out of touch. He should meet up with Jack Monroe who could educate him very quickly.

My Grandma lives in his constituency - it includes some of the poorest towns in Cornwall. As you correctly say, Jack Monroe has shown recently how the value products have seen the biggest increases, so even if people weren't buying cheap brands anyway (which they obviously are) then it's rubbish advice.

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

"Buy cheaper food peasants" on 11:30 - May 4 with 1667 viewsMattinLondon

"Buy cheaper food peasants" on 10:47 - May 4 by Steve_M

Yes, it's 'common sense' but the lack of context is crucial here. Are people struggling to feed themselves as well as their children really unaware that some products are cheaper than others?

After 12 years of Tory government, food bank usage had soared even before the cost of living spiked over the last few months. It's a fundamental failing of government, of leadership to come out with patronising statements like that instead of starting to address an enormous problem for the country.

The bigger issue I have is when MPs tweet or congratulate themselves that they are helping out at food banks. It’s an absolute scandal that they exist in the first place. Yes, there has always been a wealth divide and that is unlikely to change anytime soon - but they should be embarrassed that past and present governments have seen this happen, whilst banging on about living in the fifth largest economy and dining out with the ultra rich.
"Buy cheaper food peasants" on 11:51 - May 4 with 1591 viewsWonky

I'd hate to go to a food bank. I've seen them on the news and I never yet seen any of my Waitrose favourites.
"Buy cheaper food peasants" on 11:54 - May 4 with 1579 viewsSteve_M

"Buy cheaper food peasants" on 11:30 - May 4 by MattinLondon

The bigger issue I have is when MPs tweet or congratulate themselves that they are helping out at food banks. It’s an absolute scandal that they exist in the first place. Yes, there has always been a wealth divide and that is unlikely to change anytime soon - but they should be embarrassed that past and present governments have seen this happen, whilst banging on about living in the fifth largest economy and dining out with the ultra rich.

Yes, agreed. I didn't want to get into that though but just to explain to LL why that comment both annoyed me and showed the stare of the Tory Party today.

"Buy cheaper food peasants" on 11:59 - May 4 with 1556 viewsMattinLondon

"Buy cheaper food peasants" on 11:51 - May 4 by Wonky

I'd hate to go to a food bank. I've seen them on the news and I never yet seen any of my Waitrose favourites.

Waitrose? My god you’ve fallen on hard times. They are so low end - its only ‘Whole Foods’ for me, you never see any of the lower classes in there.
[Post edited 4 May 2022 12:00]
"Buy cheaper food peasants" on 14:38 - May 4 with 1397 viewsjeera

It's downright patronising that this twerp thinks he's offering advice to people who he has no affinity with whatsoever.

"Buy cheaper produce". You don't say rich boy.

Thanks for that, it would never have occurred to anyone that cheaper products might cost less. As though he's just solved some problem by telling people what they already know.

That he's even had the will to say those words to the worse-off shows what a **** he is.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

"Buy cheaper food peasants" on 14:41 - May 4 with 1380 viewsHARRY10

The hidden subtext here is that there are those out there, who are struggling but are not bright enough to have thought of this - and it needs the paternal words of advice from 'those best suited to looking after the country' to advise them.

And it is a measure of how little these cretins have in common with the rest of us that they are not aware of how offensive comments like this are.

Meanwhile, bigots up and down the country are trying to re-brand themselves as 'local' Conservatives. As if it was not them who campaigned and voted for MPs like this.

Which in this case is someone who is a former UKIP member, who has questionable views on race, and an underclass, and told the gormless that leaving the EU would mean cheaper food. among other things.

Todays comments have not sprung out of the blue (blue mindset, test) but are compatible with the way his sort (Farage and others) view many of the lower paid. Servants, was how another rightie (Chope MP) described Parliamentary staff.

Maybe it just might be time for the 'ever so 'umble' to get off their knees, grow a backbone and stand up for themselves and recognise that however much they doff their caps to their 'betters', their betters have nothing other than contempt for them. And will lie through their teeth when they need they votes and pss all over them the rest of the time.

Get out and vote, to get them out
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024