Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
"Buy cheaper food peasants" 08:56 - May 4 with 4289 viewsSteve_M

Every day this government shows itself a little more unfit for office:

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

"Buy cheaper food peasants" on 19:52 - May 4 with 761 viewsEireannach_gorm

"Buy cheaper food peasants" on 17:05 - May 4 by Churchman

Quite nice though, as long as the lead shot has been removed.

Road kill is the way to go. Lead shot also not a problem ( maybe a bit of rubber or plastic ).
"Buy cheaper food peasants" on 20:30 - May 4 with 725 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

"Buy cheaper food peasants" on 19:52 - May 4 by Eireannach_gorm

Road kill is the way to go. Lead shot also not a problem ( maybe a bit of rubber or plastic ).

What will Mowbray do…run over a turnip?
"Buy cheaper food peasants" on 20:34 - May 4 with 719 viewsfooters

"Buy cheaper food peasants" on 19:52 - May 4 by Eireannach_gorm

Indeed. No need to shoot a bird so stupid it's often found by the side of the road without being shot.

Although those unpleasant city poor will need to move to a leafier area to find them.

footers KC - Private Counsel to Big Farmer - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

"Buy cheaper food peasants" on 20:36 - May 4 with 700 viewsLord_Lucan

"Buy cheaper food peasants" on 11:54 - May 4 by Steve_M

Yes, agreed. I didn't want to get into that though but just to explain to LL why that comment both annoyed me and showed the stare of the Tory Party today.

Yes. And after giving it a bit more thought I agree it was a crass comment.

Edit - although has anyone heard it in audio and what was fully said and in what context?
[Post edited 4 May 2022 20:39]

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

"Buy cheaper food peasants" on 20:38 - May 4 with 689 viewsHARRY10

"Buy cheaper food peasants" on 18:13 - May 4 by LeoMuff

Hmmmm a mystery indeed

https://www.opendemocracy.net/en/dark-money-investigations/oil-and-gas-firms-hav

"and an electric cable company run by a Russian tycoon who is close to Boris Johnson."

Fear not, the righties have told us there is no connection between Johnson and dodgy Russian money - and you should ignore that cassette boy as well.

It was pure coincidence that Johnson defended Putin over invading Crimea, as did Farage and Le Pen who by chance were similarly funded...........by Putin..

And the suggestion that Johnsons anti EU stance is somehow linked to being funded by Putin is again, coincidence. As is the Russian trained Cummings and his work with algorithms and elections.

All coincidence

"Buy cheaper food peasants" on 20:45 - May 4 with 684 viewspeterleeblue

"Buy cheaper food peasants" on 18:00 - May 4 by ronnyd

Must admit that the Aldi ones are my baked bean of choice anyway.

Co op honest baked Beans value 0.22p and the can is full of beans not 30% sauce.
"Buy cheaper food peasants" on 20:55 - May 4 with 661 viewsjeera

"Buy cheaper food peasants" on 20:45 - May 4 by peterleeblue

Co op honest baked Beans value 0.22p and the can is full of beans not 30% sauce.

Not sure you and Ronny there have quite grasped the reason for the irritation.

But as you mention it, along with the 5p off fuel duty and the option of good value baked beans you must be rolling in it.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

"Buy cheaper food peasants" on 22:23 - May 4 with 602 viewsLord_Lucan

"Buy cheaper food peasants" on 20:45 - May 4 by peterleeblue

I'm not really a baked bean lover but if I were to have them I would have to go Heinz or HP

Generally our rule is that peas and baked beans have to be Birds Eye or the aforementioned but otherwise I think we tend to go with non branded

Dried pasta is the same same whatever and I am very partial to those little tins of sardines and mackerel which seem to be almost the same taste from wherever you buy them from (spruce them up with some chili flakes)

Thing is if I'm honest, I genuinely don't know how close to the knuckle some people are. I have no idea if people really can't heat water up to boil potatoes or whether they are smoking 40 Marlboro a day, I simply don't know.

I absolutely realise and thank my lucky stars that I am in a privileged position but because of my family's diverse background and their associates I know of many people who are in a trap, but I can't think of any who can't afford to heat or eat, in fact I am advised that by their Facebook posts they manage to eat and drink very well.

People cite foodbanks but foodbanks are a relatively new thing, can anyone advise any single year in history where foodbanks wouldn't have been used should they have been available?

Thing is, no one should be in the position to have to worry about heat and food and it's obvious that we need to increase the safety net, however, at the risk of sounding like Alan B'astard, are there as many people as the media suggests who are in this heat or eat situation?

This isn't a denial, it's a genuine question and what can we do about it. For me the problem is education. We have a massive lack of tradesmen and the ones we have are now earning an average of £200 - £300 a day and we can't get them for love nor money. People over a certain age are trapped and probably fecked but we need to get the kids into trades.

Of course the other thing is rent. So many people who could afford a mortgage are having to rent because they don't qualify for a mortgage which would cost them £500 a month, so they have to rent at £1000 a month - it's beyond Catch 22 craziness.

Why were self certifying mortgages stopped? It's gone double bad since then IMHO

I think we should pump free money into people immediately, especially as things are going to get a lot worse but that's not the long term answer.

The weird thing is that ultimately the part of the Brexix plan to rid the jobs of foreigners to enable UK people to do the work has actually been a bit of a success , the problem now though is we can't get a plumber - probably because our potential young plumbers are at university studying something that they won't want or use.
[Post edited 4 May 2022 22:45]

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Login to get fewer ads

"Buy cheaper food peasants" on 22:58 - May 4 with 554 viewsHARRY10

Those struggling are those with no leeway. What came in, went out. So when cost goes up something has to give. Often those are on low fixed income - benefits. Not all are the proverbial workshy.

Having a trade might be of use to some, but the absolute mess of a housing market means if you live 'oop north' you are stuck there. Selling your 3 bed house will not buy you anywhere 'down south'.

Previous changes in industry meant houses were built. Mill towns in Lancs, miners villages. Even London had the good sense with the Peabody buildings.

We have been reliant upon flexible labour from East Europe, where living in a caravan picking fruit, crammed in a house in the fens picking veg etc was far preferable (and financial) to being unemployed in their home countries.

Rather than address this we allowed liars such as Farage and Johnson to spout that once they were gone there would be jobs a'plenty. There are, but try moving to take them. Hospitality jobs on the Suffolk coast, just as in Cornwall cannot be filled as there is no accommodation. there is also the no small matter of how do you house those doing necessary low wage jobs. Council houses in London, are now owned by private landlords who are charging the council 2 or 3 times council rents - paid by the housing benefit element of UC !

What is needed is massive change in the way this country does things. However it will be met with the backlash of the 'wokey cokeys' that see their paranoia in everything.

It will need younger folk to tell the old cnts to fck off. Too many are earning a fair whack keeping many of the old ill informed by pandering to their bigotry. We are in danger of being left behind as we put up barriers to trade, and pursue this isolationist policy.

This will undoubtedly lead to many of the brightest and the best heading abroad. just as they have deserted much of the north. As with the current labour shortage, it will not be noticed until it is too late - when businesses have moved aboard as well.
"Buy cheaper food peasants" on 00:26 - May 5 with 506 viewsBlueBadger

"Buy cheaper food peasants" on 09:45 - May 4 by Lord_Lucan

Yes, it's common sense but I think the issue is that a Tory said it.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Where would it be funniest to see NCFC fans crying on the telly?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

"Buy cheaper food peasants" on 06:09 - May 5 with 448 viewswitchdoctor

"Buy cheaper food peasants" on 10:05 - May 4 by STYG

No.

This is the new 'people on benefits all have sky and have loads of money for beer and fags'.

It's assuming that decent, hard-working people, who are struggling like hell to keep their heads above water are spending £4 on M&S finest chocolate bourbons when they are in fact already buying the 39p equivalent from Lidl or Aldi.

People aren't generally stupid. We all know how easy it is to throw a load of veg and a bit of cheap meat in a slow cooker (assuming you have one) but it now costs more to run the bloody thing that it would to buy an expensive ready meal.

People aren't letting their kids starve because they are frittering on luxury goods. They are going for the cheapest everything and still not being able to manage because of the state of this country under Tory rule.

a slow cooker is one of the most energy efficient ways of cooking..
"Buy cheaper food peasants" on 06:28 - May 5 with 436 viewsfab_lover

"Buy cheaper food peasants" on 22:23 - May 4 by Lord_Lucan

I'm not really a baked bean lover but if I were to have them I would have to go Heinz or HP

Generally our rule is that peas and baked beans have to be Birds Eye or the aforementioned but otherwise I think we tend to go with non branded

Dried pasta is the same same whatever and I am very partial to those little tins of sardines and mackerel which seem to be almost the same taste from wherever you buy them from (spruce them up with some chili flakes)

Thing is if I'm honest, I genuinely don't know how close to the knuckle some people are. I have no idea if people really can't heat water up to boil potatoes or whether they are smoking 40 Marlboro a day, I simply don't know.

I absolutely realise and thank my lucky stars that I am in a privileged position but because of my family's diverse background and their associates I know of many people who are in a trap, but I can't think of any who can't afford to heat or eat, in fact I am advised that by their Facebook posts they manage to eat and drink very well.

People cite foodbanks but foodbanks are a relatively new thing, can anyone advise any single year in history where foodbanks wouldn't have been used should they have been available?

Thing is, no one should be in the position to have to worry about heat and food and it's obvious that we need to increase the safety net, however, at the risk of sounding like Alan B'astard, are there as many people as the media suggests who are in this heat or eat situation?

This isn't a denial, it's a genuine question and what can we do about it. For me the problem is education. We have a massive lack of tradesmen and the ones we have are now earning an average of £200 - £300 a day and we can't get them for love nor money. People over a certain age are trapped and probably fecked but we need to get the kids into trades.

Of course the other thing is rent. So many people who could afford a mortgage are having to rent because they don't qualify for a mortgage which would cost them £500 a month, so they have to rent at £1000 a month - it's beyond Catch 22 craziness.

Why were self certifying mortgages stopped? It's gone double bad since then IMHO

I think we should pump free money into people immediately, especially as things are going to get a lot worse but that's not the long term answer.

The weird thing is that ultimately the part of the Brexix plan to rid the jobs of foreigners to enable UK people to do the work has actually been a bit of a success , the problem now though is we can't get a plumber - probably because our potential young plumbers are at university studying something that they won't want or use.
[Post edited 4 May 2022 22:45]

It's all well and good saying "get more people into trades" but there are now an estimated 4m people (at least) in the "gig economy". Until the "robot utopia" comes (and I doubt it will) we need people to do jobs that will always be low paid.

The poor have always been with us, as the good book says, but in the past (I'm in my mid-fifties, grew up on the back streets of Brum) there was council housing. The 70s and 80s weren't great, but the "food bank" didn't exist. There weren't rough sleepers in every town. There simply weren't - this isn't rose-tinted glasses. I went to Uni in the 80s, not only were there students grants, but also housing benefit and unemployment benefit in the summer vac.

I knew a lot of people who didn't have a lot of money, but no one who went hungry.

So - what happened ? Well, the re-distribution of wealth upwards, not downwards.

My grandfather was MD of a company employing several hundred people. His salary was < 10 x that of the worst paid worker there. "Back in the day" there were a handful, literally, of super-rich, then the rest of us.

There are currently 3.5K bankers in the UK on more than €1m per year. That's just one sector.

The pigs have had their noses in the trough for 30+ years now. They've rigged the game so they can't lose; huge bonuses, obscene pension top-ups. "Management by spreadsheet" has enabled them to "cut costs" to "earn" their money, without then sticking around to see how it pans out. Heads they win, tails we lose.

This winter there will be increased guards at the supermarkets as people storm them to get food they can't afford, I guarantee it.

And yet when you go round to canvas for Labour, people tell you "oh, they can't be trusted with the economy". And when one politician finally appears to want to redistribute the wealth a little bit, he's branded a terrorist.

Happy days eh...happy days.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024