Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Timing of sacking all wrong. Needed to give Cook these Dec games. (n/t) 21:26 - Dec 15 with 3496 viewsjasondozzell

No patience in anything anymore and we're paying price now
[Post edited 15 Dec 2021 21:32]
Timing of sacking all wrong. Needed to give Cook these Dec games. (n/t) on 22:31 - Dec 15 with 1245 viewsMullet

Timing of sacking all wrong. Needed to give Cook these Dec games. (n/t) on 22:28 - Dec 15 by FevsBCFC

https://www.itfc.co.uk/news/2021/december/full-transcript-mark-ashton-interview/

But, on Saturday night, having spoken to the board following a recent run of frustrating results and disappointing performances, they were absolutely clear and unanimous with me that it was time to make a change so that is what we have done.

“Unanimous with me” interesting choice of words?

Yes, as in they spoke to Ashton and were unanimous that he had to go and sack Cook immediately.

Have you got some sort of TWTD Ashton alarm set up? It's weird you keep doing this when he's given you the best days of your supporting lives in the second tier. Imagine if he'd actually taken you backwards like the past handful of ingrates we've had.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Timing of sacking all wrong. Needed to give Cook these Dec games. (n/t) on 22:33 - Dec 15 with 1231 viewsStrimmer

Timing of sacking all wrong. Needed to give Cook these Dec games. (n/t) on 22:28 - Dec 15 by FevsBCFC

https://www.itfc.co.uk/news/2021/december/full-transcript-mark-ashton-interview/

But, on Saturday night, having spoken to the board following a recent run of frustrating results and disappointing performances, they were absolutely clear and unanimous with me that it was time to make a change so that is what we have done.

“Unanimous with me” interesting choice of words?

I’m sure I read somewhere Ashton describing the sacking as his ‘recommendation’ to the board.

So the board unanimously approved his recommendation, as they trust his judgement. Ergo Ashton sacked cook, or had the majority of responsibility for it. So he’s really gotta back it up with a plan

Poll: Was it a punch?

Timing of sacking all wrong. Needed to give Cook these Dec games. (n/t) on 22:34 - Dec 15 with 1225 viewsbazza

To be fair, we’ve been patient for 20 yrs.. surely no one can blame us for wanting a bit of instant success, and I don’t mean romping the league, just looking like contenders, the fans have started to return, we all buy into game changers ambition, evans hired cook, let’s see what happens with the new manager and start on a fresh page. Although we’ve looked shocking lately there is individual quality in the team, let’s see what a new manager and a transfer Window can bring, and all get behind him, whoever it may be.
[Post edited 15 Dec 2021 22:35]
Timing of sacking all wrong. Needed to give Cook these Dec games. (n/t) on 22:39 - Dec 15 with 1189 viewsRadlett_blue

Timing of sacking all wrong. Needed to give Cook these Dec games. (n/t) on 22:27 - Dec 15 by Mullet

I'm not really sure how the FA Cup has much of a bearing on that.

Surely we need to see who we get and what they do in January and the period until the end of the season to assess that?

We've played another scratch side as we did at Oldham, only this time we didn't sneak through we played even worse and got what we deserved.

In the interim we've gone to Wigan away and got a draw with some drab football and terrible refereeing that could have swung the game either way. There's really nothing clear at all, other than the failure of Cook was so bad that the board felt he had to go even earlier than anyone thought likely.

We have no idea if a preferred candidate had been identified and they aren't immediately available e.g. Barry / McKenna even Manning etc. Or someone out of work beyond their expectations has applied.

People moaned like hell when new managers were tapped up and ushered in under Evans, it seems that having it both ways applies here. Play like that against Sunderland and we will rightly get spanked, but given even with Cook in charge we gave them a good hour or so at least, it's hard to see how tonight is really definitive either way.

Indeed, Cook wasn't impressing, but sticking with him at least until we had a replacement lined up would have made more sense. This is a poor time to find a decent manager as most of the good ones are probably in jobs & I don't see picking up a "best of the rest" like Harris will be much of an answer, especially as this season is pretty much a write off (again).

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Timing of sacking all wrong. Needed to give Cook these Dec games. (n/t) on 22:41 - Dec 15 with 1169 viewsGrumpy_Old_Man

Timing of sacking all wrong. Needed to give Cook these Dec games. (n/t) on 22:22 - Dec 15 by pointofblue

Think Woolfenden was about the only outfield player (except maybe Norwood) to come out looking ok tonight. Admittedly the defence had an easier time of it in the second half.

What service did Norwood & Jackson get??

Woolfenden played well second half for someone starting his 5th game out of the last 18.

Fringe players now have nowhere to go but the training ground, so when needed they will badly lack match fitness that's why a cup run was important
Timing of sacking all wrong. Needed to give Cook these Dec games. (n/t) on 22:43 - Dec 15 with 1156 viewsRyorry

Timing of sacking all wrong. Needed to give Cook these Dec games. (n/t) on 22:39 - Dec 15 by Radlett_blue

Indeed, Cook wasn't impressing, but sticking with him at least until we had a replacement lined up would have made more sense. This is a poor time to find a decent manager as most of the good ones are probably in jobs & I don't see picking up a "best of the rest" like Harris will be much of an answer, especially as this season is pretty much a write off (again).

Not sure how/why people are so confident we didn't have a replacement lined up; negotiations could be ongoing behind the scenes as I said earlier.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Timing of sacking all wrong. Needed to give Cook these Dec games. (n/t) on 22:53 - Dec 15 with 1116 viewsCopfordBlue

I take it you didn’t go to the first game against Barrow? Nobody could have watched the games against Arsenal’s kids and Barrow and concluded he needed more time. Hopeless.

Poll: Most enjoyable calendar year as an Ipswich supporter

Timing of sacking all wrong. Needed to give Cook these Dec games. (n/t) on 22:55 - Dec 15 with 1107 viewsFevsBCFC

Timing of sacking all wrong. Needed to give Cook these Dec games. (n/t) on 22:31 - Dec 15 by Mullet

Yes, as in they spoke to Ashton and were unanimous that he had to go and sack Cook immediately.

Have you got some sort of TWTD Ashton alarm set up? It's weird you keep doing this when he's given you the best days of your supporting lives in the second tier. Imagine if he'd actually taken you backwards like the past handful of ingrates we've had.

So you want to give him credit for everything that went well at City, but no critique of the things that went wrong, and ultimately the clusterfcuk he left behind. Ok, so everything is Cook’s fault so far in your eyes. Who let Cook sign 19 players that don’t fit together? At what point does an accountable CEO say “sorry Paul, you’ve got two number 10s already, you can’t have another, you told me the second one was the missing piece in the jigsaw”? The majority of your fans on here say you didn’t recruit a balanced squad, e.g. defence. Why not? A CEO who is so heavily involved in recruitment should be accountable shouldn’t he, at least partly, surely?
Login to get fewer ads

Timing of sacking all wrong. Needed to give Cook these Dec games. (n/t) on 22:57 - Dec 15 with 1101 viewsRadlett_blue

Timing of sacking all wrong. Needed to give Cook these Dec games. (n/t) on 22:53 - Dec 15 by CopfordBlue

I take it you didn’t go to the first game against Barrow? Nobody could have watched the games against Arsenal’s kids and Barrow and concluded he needed more time. Hopeless.

I understand why Cook was sacked. His last 8 games, culminating in the Barrow 0-0, were very poor & easy to think he wasn't going to mould his expensively assembled squad into a coherent team. But this season is nearly a write off already so hard to think we would have been worse off giving Cook the season.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Timing of sacking all wrong. Needed to give Cook these Dec games. (n/t) on 23:23 - Dec 15 with 1040 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

Timing of sacking all wrong. Needed to give Cook these Dec games. (n/t) on 22:53 - Dec 15 by CopfordBlue

Horsesh1t.
By that logic, Sir Alf would have been sacked a couple of years before his remarkable success.
Sir Bobby would have been sacked a couple of years before qualifying for Europe year on year and becoming one of the best teams in England.
John Lyall would have been sacked in his first season and we wouldn't have won division 2 the following year.
George Burley would have been sacked before four consectutive play off finishes finally winning at Wembley.

We've become an inpatient club. Will be to our detriment.

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

Timing of sacking all wrong. Needed to give Cook these Dec games. (n/t) on 06:43 - Dec 16 with 903 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Timing of sacking all wrong. Needed to give Cook these Dec games. (n/t) on 22:20 - Dec 15 by Keaneish

Won 3 Drew 3 Lost 2 in November. Some performances were good some were not. We were through to the next round of both cups and heading into a tough fixture list where we needed to pick up points against the top 6. It’s actually 4 wins given we beat Col U on pens.

Sacking your manager on the back of this is terrible judgement. Even the bitchin’ and moaning didn’t have time to get to fever pitch on here it was such a premature decision. 25 games or so Cook got with a brand new squad. It’s mental really when you think about it.

If I were Harris or whoever comes in, no chance I’m signing anyone or spending cash. You put yourself on the chopping block early if you do that.

3 wins in November is an incredible way to spin that Cook won 2 of his last 9 games fella - against League Two Oldham and bottom of the table Crewe

Not sure you should really be commenting on the logic of other posters either given that you’re still yet to be correct on anything, ever

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Timing of sacking all wrong. Needed to give Cook these Dec games. (n/t) on 07:05 - Dec 16 with 867 viewspennblue

worst decision in many years getting rid of Paul Cook

Poll: How are we going to try and undermine the manager today?

Timing of sacking all wrong. Needed to give Cook these Dec games. (n/t) on 07:10 - Dec 16 with 847 viewsKeaneish

Timing of sacking all wrong. Needed to give Cook these Dec games. (n/t) on 06:43 - Dec 16 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

3 wins in November is an incredible way to spin that Cook won 2 of his last 9 games fella - against League Two Oldham and bottom of the table Crewe

Not sure you should really be commenting on the logic of other posters either given that you’re still yet to be correct on anything, ever

Spinning facts? That’s a new low for you. Given you’re all about the wins, these are facts you should be holding dear not using to distort the truth or shape you’re own narrative. My post is objective. I’ve said that performances weren’t great but it’s hardly a run of form warranting the sack. Plenty of managers have gone on worse runs and survived.

A premature and costly decision that leaves us in a mess. It’s as simple as that.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Timing of sacking all wrong. Needed to give Cook these Dec games. (n/t) on 07:14 - Dec 16 with 827 viewspennblue

Timing of sacking all wrong. Needed to give Cook these Dec games. (n/t) on 07:10 - Dec 16 by Keaneish

Spinning facts? That’s a new low for you. Given you’re all about the wins, these are facts you should be holding dear not using to distort the truth or shape you’re own narrative. My post is objective. I’ve said that performances weren’t great but it’s hardly a run of form warranting the sack. Plenty of managers have gone on worse runs and survived.

A premature and costly decision that leaves us in a mess. It’s as simple as that.

I just hope lessons are learned. It seems unlikely though given how people are vehemently justifying their positions.

Poll: How are we going to try and undermine the manager today?

Timing of sacking all wrong. Needed to give Cook these Dec games. (n/t) on 07:31 - Dec 16 with 807 viewsMattinLondon

Timing of sacking all wrong. Needed to give Cook these Dec games. (n/t) on 23:23 - Dec 15 by StochesStotasBlewe

Horsesh1t.
By that logic, Sir Alf would have been sacked a couple of years before his remarkable success.
Sir Bobby would have been sacked a couple of years before qualifying for Europe year on year and becoming one of the best teams in England.
John Lyall would have been sacked in his first season and we wouldn't have won division 2 the following year.
George Burley would have been sacked before four consectutive play off finishes finally winning at Wembley.

What a load of rubbish.
Timing of sacking all wrong. Needed to give Cook these Dec games. (n/t) on 07:39 - Dec 16 with 780 viewsKeaneish

Timing of sacking all wrong. Needed to give Cook these Dec games. (n/t) on 07:31 - Dec 16 by MattinLondon

What a load of rubbish.

It’s really not and how you can call that rubbish only serves to highlight more short sightedness. What he’s saying is bang on about all those managers, you can even add McCarthy into that mix given the length of his tenure and that he vowed to get us up.

We’ve jumped out of the frying pan and into the fire with these Americans. They’ve already back tracked several times on their stance. The most important managerial appointment possibly of our history now and it’s been a shi*show to date - the betting odds reflect that as does the silence around PR.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Timing of sacking all wrong. Needed to give Cook these Dec games. (n/t) on 08:08 - Dec 16 with 739 viewstimothyeo

Timing of sacking all wrong. Needed to give Cook these Dec games. (n/t) on 23:23 - Dec 15 by StochesStotasBlewe

Horsesh1t.

Well, its the owners that are clearly "impatient" and its within their right to be. Nothing any of us can do about it.
Timing of sacking all wrong. Needed to give Cook these Dec games. (n/t) on 09:07 - Dec 16 with 683 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Timing of sacking all wrong. Needed to give Cook these Dec games. (n/t) on 07:10 - Dec 16 by Keaneish

But you were spinning facts as you completely ignored that Cook also managed us into December, to make out that we were on a good run of form when he was sacked. Whereas in reality we had won 2 of the last 9 when he was sacked, or 3 of 10 if still clinging onto Wycombe being a sign that everything was amazing despite being 10 games ago with barely a convincing performance since

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Timing of sacking all wrong. Needed to give Cook these Dec games. (n/t) on 09:16 - Dec 16 with 646 viewsMattinLondon

Timing of sacking all wrong. Needed to give Cook these Dec games. (n/t) on 07:39 - Dec 16 by Keaneish

It’s really not and how you can call that rubbish only serves to highlight more short sightedness. What he’s saying is bang on about all those managers, you can even add McCarthy into that mix given the length of his tenure and that he vowed to get us up.

We’ve jumped out of the frying pan and into the fire with these Americans. They’ve already back tracked several times on their stance. The most important managerial appointment possibly of our history now and it’s been a shi*show to date - the betting odds reflect that as does the silence around PR.

The betting odds? I’ve read some poor arguments on here but that’s just pathetic.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024