Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
So if Rotherham are so good and Plymouth 19:07 - Nov 27 with 5213 viewsIpswich24

Are so fantastic, how come other sides don't find it difficult to get results against them. Also Sunderland go to cambridge and win , MK Don's romp to another win, the gap just gets bigger and bigger. 10 points off the playoffs and we only in November.

Poll: Who would you like to be manager out of these?

So if Rotherham are so good and Plymouth on 13:16 - Nov 28 with 752 viewsHerbivore

So if Rotherham are so good and Plymouth on 10:36 - Nov 28 by positivity

i'd disagree with that, i'd take plenty of theirs.

but if we take your assertion as true, then it says cook has recruited incredibly well, and given the greater churn at our club than everyone else, we should be in a good place to improve in the 2nd half of the season.

Your ability to try and spin everything into a positive is admirable. Out of curiosity, how would you score Cook's tenure here out of 10? You seem a big fan but for me he's done a terrible job thus far.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

So if Rotherham are so good and Plymouth on 13:36 - Nov 28 with 693 viewsBtreeBlueBlood

So if Rotherham are so good and Plymouth on 19:29 - Nov 27 by Steve_M

Indeed.

Although Oxford - Rotherham finishing 0-0 isn’t a great surprise having seen how well organised both were derisively in the year last few weeks.

Oxford Probably getting cramps from 1st minute
So if Rotherham are so good and Plymouth on 13:36 - Nov 28 with 690 viewspositivity

So if Rotherham are so good and Plymouth on 13:14 - Nov 28 by chrismakin

Can see you're trying your best to remain positive. But you've got 4 clubs in and around that top 2 slot. Wigan after today have 2 games on us.

Expecting that handful of teams to suddenly go backwards in such a way is nonsense imo.

If 1 slips up. The other will not. And that's why it's not as easy for us to just win 10 games and suddenly be top 2. It aint gonna happen.

not what was said though, you said we'd need at least 10 wins on the spin to get in the top 2, then we'd need others to lose at least 5 times to be ahead of them, both are well wide of the mark!

Poll: do you do judo and/or do you do voodoo?

Errrrrrr on 13:37 - Nov 28 with 687 viewsHerbivore

Errrrrrr on 10:40 - Nov 28 by Yallop

Cooks got a bit in the bank for me for his record elsewhere.

If we did get rid the new manager on that basis will get the same as Cook. 30 odd games, one transfer window and so end of season he could be off as well.

Ridiculous way to run a club in my opinion. Anyway let's all hope we do well today.

It's more ridiculous to stick with a manager that is failing miserably, imo. It's a bit of a straw man to say that a new manager would only be given the rest of this season, in what basis? Cook got the final third of last season and did a poor job and nobody was calling for him to go. It's only nearly halfway through another season of failure that people are wondering whether he may not be the man to take us forward.

So if Rotherham are so good and Plymouth on 13:42 - Nov 28 with 673 viewspositivity

So if Rotherham are so good and Plymouth on 13:16 - Nov 28 by Herbivore

Your ability to try and spin everything into a positive is admirable. Out of curiosity, how would you score Cook's tenure here out of 10? You seem a big fan but for me he's done a terrible job thus far.

it's more that i'll challenge the more flouncy hyperbole.

do you think we need to win 10 games on the spin to have a chance of the playoffs?!

do you think the players in our team are the best 11 in the league?!

do you think we'd need the top 2 to lose at least 5 games in 10 for us to catch them (assuming we win all 10)?!

i'm still on the fence with cook.

recruitment is a good 8/10
tactics is 6ish
entertainment 7ish
results 4ish
potential future 7ish

maybe 6/10 overall?

our greater churn gives him more leeway for me, and the investment in him will get him more again from the board

however he needs to get back to 2 points a game sooner rather than later to satisfy me (and the fans at large)

So if Rotherham are so good and Plymouth on 13:44 - Nov 28 with 661 viewschrismakin

So if Rotherham are so good and Plymouth on 13:36 - Nov 28 by positivity

not what was said though, you said we'd need at least 10 wins on the spin to get in the top 2, then we'd need others to lose at least 5 times to be ahead of them, both are well wide of the mark!

I didn't actually. I said to have any hope of finishing in playoffs we would need a run of 10 game winning spree

A response to that was someone saying it was nonsense to.think a 10 game winning spree would only be enough for play offs not top 2 hence the subsequent replies.

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

So if Rotherham are so good and Plymouth on 13:48 - Nov 28 with 648 viewsHerbivore

So if Rotherham are so good and Plymouth on 13:42 - Nov 28 by positivity

it's more that i'll challenge the more flouncy hyperbole.

do you think we need to win 10 games on the spin to have a chance of the playoffs?!

do you think the players in our team are the best 11 in the league?!

do you think we'd need the top 2 to lose at least 5 games in 10 for us to catch them (assuming we win all 10)?!

i'm still on the fence with cook.

recruitment is a good 8/10
tactics is 6ish
entertainment 7ish
results 4ish
potential future 7ish

maybe 6/10 overall?

our greater churn gives him more leeway for me, and the investment in him will get him more again from the board

however he needs to get back to 2 points a game sooner rather than later to satisfy me (and the fans at large)

6/10? Blimey. For me it's more like a 2/10. Results under him have been bottom half of League 1 form for 35 games now. That's abysmal. 6/10 suggests he's doing an average or slightly above average job. I can't agree with that.

I pulled Makin up previously on the 10 wins in a row nonsense. If we did that from today we'd be in the top 6 and not a million miles from the top 2. But it won't happen so it's moot.

Do I think we have the best 11? Yes, in terms of individual ability. That's not to say every player we have is the best player in that position in the league but in terms of the overall strength we have I don't see anyone able to field a better 11 at this level. And that's before getting into the depth, we can field a second string that should also make top 6.

For me I don't think there's any way of looking at our current situation that doesn't paint Cook as doing a very poor job here. So poor that if we somehow lost today (which I don't think we will by the way) it's hard to make a case to persist with him any longer.

Errrrrrr on 13:49 - Nov 28 with 643 viewsleitrimblue

Errrrrrr on 13:37 - Nov 28 by Herbivore

It's more ridiculous to stick with a manager that is failing miserably, imo. It's a bit of a straw man to say that a new manager would only be given the rest of this season, in what basis? Cook got the final third of last season and did a poor job and nobody was calling for him to go. It's only nearly halfway through another season of failure that people are wondering whether he may not be the man to take us forward.

Surely the new man would be expected to have us safely in the play offs with a minimum of 2 ppg average within 20 games?
Anything less would be seen as failure surely?
So the new man could well be under serious pressure before the end of the season
Login to get fewer ads

Errrrrrr on 13:56 - Nov 28 with 626 viewsHerbivore

Errrrrrr on 13:49 - Nov 28 by leitrimblue

Surely the new man would be expected to have us safely in the play offs with a minimum of 2 ppg average within 20 games?
Anything less would be seen as failure surely?
So the new man could well be under serious pressure before the end of the season

Well Cook had us bordering relegation form for his first 16 games with someone else's squad and nobody was calling for him to go, so I'm not sure why you think it'd be so different for the next manager it they came in this season.

Errrrrrr on 14:02 - Nov 28 with 614 viewsleitrimblue

Errrrrrr on 13:56 - Nov 28 by Herbivore

Well Cook had us bordering relegation form for his first 16 games with someone else's squad and nobody was calling for him to go, so I'm not sure why you think it'd be so different for the next manager it they came in this season.

The new man will start his tender with a far better squad then Cook began with, who all want to be here. I dont see any point replacing him if the new manager isn't gonna be expected to get us into the play offs this season
So if Rotherham are so good and Plymouth on 14:07 - Nov 28 with 602 viewspositivity

So if Rotherham are so good and Plymouth on 13:48 - Nov 28 by Herbivore

6/10? Blimey. For me it's more like a 2/10. Results under him have been bottom half of League 1 form for 35 games now. That's abysmal. 6/10 suggests he's doing an average or slightly above average job. I can't agree with that.

I pulled Makin up previously on the 10 wins in a row nonsense. If we did that from today we'd be in the top 6 and not a million miles from the top 2. But it won't happen so it's moot.

Do I think we have the best 11? Yes, in terms of individual ability. That's not to say every player we have is the best player in that position in the league but in terms of the overall strength we have I don't see anyone able to field a better 11 at this level. And that's before getting into the depth, we can field a second string that should also make top 6.

For me I don't think there's any way of looking at our current situation that doesn't paint Cook as doing a very poor job here. So poor that if we somehow lost today (which I don't think we will by the way) it's hard to make a case to persist with him any longer.

the question was, is every payer in our 11 better than every other player in league one. that's what i challenged. i think you agree!

2/10 is harsh for me, given the much higher churn and the mess he took over, but we'll agree on the need to improve back to 2 points per game to keep him in a job in the medium term

Errrrrrr on 14:09 - Nov 28 with 594 viewspositivity

Errrrrrr on 14:02 - Nov 28 by leitrimblue

The new man will start his tender with a far better squad then Cook began with, who all want to be here. I dont see any point replacing him if the new manager isn't gonna be expected to get us into the play offs this season

plus he'd get a window if it happened when some of the cook-outers wanted, so it wouldn't be another man's squad

Errrrrrr on 14:14 - Nov 28 with 567 viewsHerbivore

Errrrrrr on 14:02 - Nov 28 by leitrimblue

I see the point in replacing him if it's clear he's not up to the job. If a new manager has a genuine tilt at the play offs that'd be a bonus and would be the best case scenario. If not he has half a season to evaluate the players and work out his plans for next season. Similar to the situation Cook inherited really, except we're much further away from the play offs now than we were when Cook took the job.

Errrrrrr on 14:20 - Nov 28 with 558 viewsleitrimblue

Errrrrrr on 14:14 - Nov 28 by Herbivore

I see the point in replacing him if it's clear he's not up to the job. If a new manager has a genuine tilt at the play offs that'd be a bonus and would be the best case scenario. If not he has half a season to evaluate the players and work out his plans for next season. Similar to the situation Cook inherited really, except we're much further away from the play offs now than we were when Cook took the job.

So your suggesting the new man should get 30+ games and a transfer window this season with no pressure even though Cook as done the hard work of rebuilding the sauad? Then how many games next season after his 2nd transfer window?
So if Rotherham are so good and Plymouth on 14:22 - Nov 28 with 554 viewsgazzer1999

So if Rotherham are so good and Plymouth on 14:07 - Nov 28 by positivity

the question was, is every payer in our 11 better than every other player in league one. that's what i challenged. i think you agree!

2/10 is harsh for me, given the much higher churn and the mess he took over, but we'll agree on the need to improve back to 2 points per game to keep him in a job in the medium term

The mess he took over? you mean sitting in 6th position in division 3, just got 3 wins on the bounce (something we can only dream about under cook) and then nosedive down the league, as for this season if it was a mess last season what the heck is it now? Eventually when you are in a hole it will get deeper unless you stop digging. You can't defend his record, it's worse than Lambert's. 2/10 is probably overstating what I would give him. Win, draw or lose today he should be relieved of his tenure along with his coaching staff, that way Ashton can then make a clean break from the past and take this club forwards.
Errrrrrr on 14:23 - Nov 28 with 551 viewsHerbivore

Errrrrrr on 14:20 - Nov 28 by leitrimblue

So your suggesting the new man should get 30+ games and a transfer window this season with no pressure even though Cook as done the hard work of rebuilding the sauad? Then how many games next season after his 2nd transfer window?

There's not 30+ games left. How long he would get next season would depend on how he did this season and how we started next season. As has been the case with Cook. I know you're fiercely loyal to him because of the job he did at Sligo but he's been hopeless here to date and I query the value of persisting for too much longer in the hope that it suddenly starts going well.

Errrrrrr on 14:42 - Nov 28 with 525 viewsleitrimblue

Errrrrrr on 14:23 - Nov 28 by Herbivore

There's not 30+ games left. How long he would get next season would depend on how he did this season and how we started next season. As has been the case with Cook. I know you're fiercely loyal to him because of the job he did at Sligo but he's been hopeless here to date and I query the value of persisting for too much longer in the hope that it suddenly starts going well.

I was including a cup run😁. I'm not just loyal to him for the job he did in Sligo. I've watched his career ever since. He as been successful at every team he as been at since. And I imagine he will be successful at his next club. I understand that the majority of town fans don't have this link with him an can only judge him on his performance here so far. If he is sacked I would expect the new man to be tasked with making the play offs. See little point sacking him otherwise
So if Rotherham are so good and Plymouth on 14:45 - Nov 28 with 516 viewsleitrimblue

So if Rotherham are so good and Plymouth on 14:22 - Nov 28 by gazzer1999

The mess he took over? you mean sitting in 6th position in division 3, just got 3 wins on the bounce (something we can only dream about under cook) and then nosedive down the league, as for this season if it was a mess last season what the heck is it now? Eventually when you are in a hole it will get deeper unless you stop digging. You can't defend his record, it's worse than Lambert's. 2/10 is probably overstating what I would give him. Win, draw or lose today he should be relieved of his tenure along with his coaching staff, that way Ashton can then make a clean break from the past and take this club forwards.

Who would you have kept from last year's team Gaz?
Errrrrrr on 14:58 - Nov 28 with 498 viewsHerbivore

Errrrrrr on 14:42 - Nov 28 by leitrimblue

I was including a cup run😁. I'm not just loyal to him for the job he did in Sligo. I've watched his career ever since. He as been successful at every team he as been at since. And I imagine he will be successful at his next club. I understand that the majority of town fans don't have this link with him an can only judge him on his performance here so far. If he is sacked I would expect the new man to be tasked with making the play offs. See little point sacking him otherwise

I think that can only be seen as a realistic aim for a new manager if we pull the trigger tomorrow. We already need basically 2 points per game for the rest of the season to have any chance of scraping into the top 6. If we go a few more games with Cook and we drift further away then it becomes an unrealistic ask for a new manager and it rather highlights the scale of Cook's failure that we would be in a position at midway where play offs are not a realistic target.

So if Rotherham are so good and Plymouth on 15:09 - Nov 28 with 489 viewspositivity

So if Rotherham are so good and Plymouth on 14:22 - Nov 28 by gazzer1999

so, his entire job, including his recruitment and his future planning is 1/10?!

at the end of last season before any signings were made, what would you expect from him by the end to get a 6/10? 100 goals, 100 points and uefa cup qualification?!

Errrrrrr on 15:10 - Nov 28 with 482 viewspositivity

Errrrrrr on 14:58 - Nov 28 by Herbivore

I think that can only be seen as a realistic aim for a new manager if we pull the trigger tomorrow. We already need basically 2 points per game for the rest of the season to have any chance of scraping into the top 6. If we go a few more games with Cook and we drift further away then it becomes an unrealistic ask for a new manager and it rather highlights the scale of Cook's failure that we would be in a position at midway where play offs are not a realistic target.

averaging 3 points a game at the moment!

Errrrrrr on 15:17 - Nov 28 with 462 viewsHerbivore

Errrrrrr on 15:10 - Nov 28 by positivity

averaging 3 points a game at the moment!

That's desperation stuff.

Errrrrrr on 15:21 - Nov 28 with 455 viewspositivity

Errrrrrr on 15:17 - Nov 28 by Herbivore

That's desperation stuff.

it may not have been entirely serious!

So if Rotherham are so good and Plymouth on 21:12 - Nov 28 with 400 viewsBtreeBlueBlood

So if Rotherham are so good and Plymouth on 19:29 - Nov 27 by Steve_M

Indeed.

Although Oxford - Rotherham finishing 0-0 isn’t a great surprise having seen how well organised both were derisively in the year last few weeks.

Oxford Probably getting cramps from 1st minute
So if Rotherham are so good and Plymouth on 22:06 - Nov 28 with 383 viewsLeoMuff

So if Rotherham are so good and Plymouth on 14:45 - Nov 28 by leitrimblue

Who would you have kept from last year's team Gaz?

Lol, don’t hold your breath for an answer.

The only Muff in Town.
Poll: Lamberts rotational policy has left us....

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024